Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Are you done? Why? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you done? Why?  (Read 110274 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:45 AM

They need to modify how the skills of dex, int, and str operate across the classes, I agree.

For example, int and dex need to have higher modifiers for Barbs. I would be more likely to look at gear with some INT on it, if I knew that my All Resist modifier was higher. Also, I'd do the same with dex if it increased attack speed. There would be tradeoffs with higher damage from your main stat with other stats.

I actually prefer the way D1 did this, pump up str on your wizzy and you get to wear better armor!

They did this in Diablo 2 also, but Diablo 2s stat system was pretty horribly broken as well.  Basically, you stacked only vitality.  Maybe a bit of strength if you couldn't find an item build that could provide the necessary str, or replace strength with dex in that sentence if you were an amazon. 

There was also one build based on energy shield for sorceress which stacked energy.  But that is basically all the depth the Diablo 2 stat system had in 3 sentences.  I'm not saying Diablo 3s is perfect, but at worst they've traded one shallow stat system for another.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: August 17, 2012, 03:45:53 PM

One of the bad things about D2's system is that if you played "seriously" you planned your character from level 1 based on the items you had. Pretty ass-backwards to play imo. If you didn't "care" about optimisation it probably wouldn't make such a big difference.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:30 AM

Jay Wilson to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead David Brevik: "Fuck that loser"

This was in response to some critical words David Brevik had of Diablo 3 in an interview with incgamers (website is down so here's the transcript):

Popcorn Popcorn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: August 20, 2012, 07:24:28 AM

Can you explain the credits to me ?  Why are some struck out and whatnot ?

Also, I find nothing really offensive in that article linked, to be honest and I find it odd that these public facing and professional chaps are allowing that shit on a public Facebook page.

Not really the brightest idea.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: August 20, 2012, 07:27:38 AM

The arrows point to who said what, letting you know that most of them worked on Diablo 3. It also shows Brevik being thanked in the credits.

Additionally, there is a bigass shitstorm brewing in /r/diablo on reddit. Mods keep deleting posts regarding Jay Wilson's comments and people are pretty damn upset. I love me some drama in the morning.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 20, 2012, 07:30:35 AM

Ah, right, and the big yellow crayon denotes people not involved in the shitstorm yet.

Cool.

I stand by what I said though :  Don't take these type of professional annoyances to Facebook.  You're just asking for trouble.

And he was right by what he said.  I think what annoys those guys on FB is that they still don't understand that what he's saying, most of the FANS are saying too.  They really need to wake up to what they made.  A big old stinking PoS.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #321 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:44 AM

Fuck Jay Wilson, he made a Diablo game with an Auction House the negates the point of Diablo.  Diablo 1/2 credit sold millions of boxes.  WoW sold millions more.  Very little of the success has anything with it being a good game or Jay Wilson.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:08:43 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:10 AM

Yeah the AH ruins the spirit of the game, I didn't play d2 online but I played over 1000 hours of d1 online and can recall dumping massive amounts of wealth on the ground for random players just because it was meaningless and the fun was the acquisition not the retention.  And although I do remember a fair bit of greifing, that was even in good fun as well, there was virtually no epeen waving of gear back and forth because survivability and face melting goodness was equally and easily attainable by all classes.  Diablo 2 I felt was a bit grindy in comparison and Diablo 3 is obviously even worse.  I still miss the almost instant access to massive quantities of mobs I had in D1, the only empty space (other than short walks through town for supplies) was the space you had already laid waste to.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:11 AM

I remember Diablo I a bit differently, in that a wizard with sword and board was by far the best character, rogue was second, and warrior was a far distant third.
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: August 20, 2012, 08:04:35 AM

I was going to write an article (yes, an article) about this comparing Activision/Blizzard to Zynga without them understanding WHY they're in the position they're in - but you all had already posted that image.

Needless to say, Blizzard deserves a slow death and at this point they don't know how to make anything other than a shitty skinner box with RMT attached.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:53 AM

I'd still be interested in that article.

Go to it and good luck.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:55 AM

What's so comical and sad about this is that Blizzard really had a money press here, all they had to do was upgrade graphics and keep the core gameplay (polished to a mirrored sheen which they are supposedly known for).  Somehow they fucked this up and killed all that was fun in D1 and D2 in an attempt to even make more money.  It's really unbelievable hubris.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #327 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:08 AM

(polished to a mirrored sheen which they are supposedly known for). 

Those people either aren't with the company anymore or weren't on this project.  What you're witnessing is a bunch of also-rans who got hired on to the rockstar-status developer and are buying in to the accolades thrown at them for it. They're standing on the backs of giants and thinking they got there themselves.  What credits does Wilson have to his name?  Oh right, just this one as a Lead.  He was hired on at Blizzard - in his own words - because he knew people, not because of his exceptional talent or proven record.

Hubris, as always, leads to a big fall.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:13 AM

I'd still be interested in that article.

Go to it and good luck.

Yes, me too, please.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:00 AM

What's so comical and sad about this is that Blizzard really had a money press here, all they had to do was upgrade graphics and keep the core gameplay (polished to a mirrored sheen which they are supposedly known for).  Somehow they fucked this up and killed all that was fun in D1 and D2 in an attempt to even make more money.  It's really unbelievable hubris.

Just like Mythic and Warhammer/DAOC, and Cryptic and CO/CoH. 

Why don't people ever learn?
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:15 AM

I was going to (somehow) compare Jay Wilson to Mark Jacobs, but then I realized that Mark Jacobs actually made something that didn't suck.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 20, 2012, 09:56:54 AM

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:19 AM

Internet meme factory is in full swing now.

Jay Wilson Instructs Bashiok to Hide His...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXltcnOMCY
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:29 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 20, 2012, 11:06:44 AM

Yes.  I actually really, really want to hear Schild take on this.  He's been quite quiet about it and, frankly, the Zynga stuff I really wanna hear.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 20, 2012, 02:59:58 PM

I would be very happy if someone at Blizzard got fired over that gross break of professionalism. The example it sets is unthinkable. Members of their QA department have more sense.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #336 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:50 PM

It isn't a "public" Facebook page, as far as I can tell; more likely someone on someone's friends list screenshotted it. And Haga hasn't worked at Blizzard since 2011.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:59 PM

Actually, his Facebook page is public. I'm looking at it right now.

Edit: Wilson's comments and others were also taken down. Too late.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:07:48 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 20, 2012, 03:09:12 PM

Yeah I apparently just fail at Facebook searches.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:31 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #340 on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:58 PM

I don't know who Jill Harrington is, but I want to find out - can you click her name. She can lick all the taints if she thinks she can toss the word "objective" around when it comes to gaming journalism. I invented that fight, motherfucker.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:16 PM

I don't know who Jill Harrington is, but I want to find out - can you click her name. She can lick all the taints if she thinks she can toss the word "objective" around when it comes to gaming journalism. I invented that fight, motherfucker.

The fire is strong within you....Just lay fingers to keyboard and release your hate for all to see.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:37 PM

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 20, 2012, 03:18:35 PM

Jill's profile is private, as it should be. Also, I'd watch it. It was pretty scary inside Blizzard when the real names on the forum thing popped up and fans started getting intrusive into the developer's personal lives. I don't consider it justified.

Oh, by the way, fuck it. 7 year veteran of the company, left in October due to personal problems and professional concerns with the state of Blizzard and Diablo III, which I worked on as a member of QA. Anyone paying attention should immediately know who I am. Considering I've already given up on a career in the games industry as of this week, I'm really tired keeping so much of myself hidden out of professional courtesy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:20:06 PM by Lorekeep »

schild
Administrator

Reply #344 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:40 PM

I just want to know who she works for - is it Blizzard - and what her title is. I don't actually care about her personal life. If she is a private citizen, then I won't bag on her. Everyone else in that entire screenshot - the definition of fair game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: August 20, 2012, 03:27:11 PM

So... you want to excoriate someone for agreeing with you that gaming journalism isn't objective?  Head scratch

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jill-harrington/1/295/b04

She's a technical artist or animator of some kind it appears.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 20, 2012, 03:28:25 PM

Lore, thanks for the good work while you were there.   As for Blizzard, well Facebook's a hell of a drug.  
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:28 PM

Yeah I try not to ever talk about work there, and I'm not really even in any kind of position to get screwed by it, unless I trash my CEO or something - our products certainly wouldn't be impacted by me. You'd have to be really pissed off or really careless to step in it like that.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:25 PM

Facebook's a hell of a drug.  

Truth.

schild
Administrator

Reply #349 on: August 20, 2012, 03:50:52 PM

So... you want to excoriate someone for agreeing with you that gaming journalism isn't objective?  Head scratch

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jill-harrington/1/295/b04

She's a technical artist or animator of some kind it appears.
That is not what she said, she implied that gaming journalism SHOULD be objective and that Inc Gamers wasn't.

Which is WRONG.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Are you done? Why?  
Jump to: