Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift's first expansion - Storm Legion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift's first expansion - Storm Legion  (Read 51690 times)
Rokal
Terracotta Army

on: May 31, 2012, 11:39:24 AM

Official Website

* Level cap raised to 60
    * 1 new soul per calling
    * 2 new continents that "triple" the size of the existing world.
    * New shared-faction capitol: Tempest Bay
    * 7 new dungeons, 3 raids, 1 new Chronicle
    * Some new gameplay mode called Hunt: "New rift gameplay propels you into battling increasingly-challenging planar bosses"
    * "Dimensions: Customizable spaces allow players and guilds to own a sliver of Telara" (guild housing?)
    * Capes

Trailer is up on the official website, looks like a pretty different art style from what is currently in the game. Much more sci-fi.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:51 PM

For the souls, I would like a healing soul for warrior and a tank soul for mage, perhaps a real healing soul for rogue. Those are the only real compelling gaps I see.

Not sure about the world size. That much room for the population might end up with a dead feeling world. As it is, I can be out in the world and not see anyone and that's with just 2 real high level zones and two upper level zones.

I wonder how PA will work then. I will most likely be nearly fully capped by then, three trees + PVP done already. I'm starting to think that PA will wind up bitting them in the ass as it is. We are starting to tell the difference between people who are and are not heavily invested in PAs.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:57 PM

Gamespot article says Fall 2012 release?  Wow.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:07:42 PM

Level 60 means 80 soul points, right? I bet Trion is warmly anticipating the balance issues this will enable. Although they are introducing a new soul for each calling, so that bridge is kinda crossed anyway.

If they give warriors access to some kind of useful self-heal, or other way to reduce downtime while doing solo PvE, I might start playing mine again.

I'm looking forward to capes. I'd like to see how they animate in-game.

2 new continents? Are they all for 50-60 play, or will there alternate paths/activity for lower levels as well? I didn't see where the article specified either way.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

Level 60 means 80 soul points, right? I bet Trion is warmly anticipating the balance issues this will enable. Although they are introducing a new soul for each calling, so that bridge is kinda crossed anyway.

If they give warriors access to some kind of useful self-heal, or other way to reduce downtime while doing solo PvE, I might start playing mine again.

I'm looking forward to capes. I'd like to see how they animate in-game.

2 new continents? Are they all for 50-60 play, or will there alternate paths/activity for lower levels as well? I didn't see where the article specified either way.

Nothing has been said with soul points, but who knows.  If I had to guess, I'd say no just because of balance issues, but who knows.

I would assume the new continents are 50-60 only, but I see no reason to think that they wouldn't have some low level stuff.  But that would completely kill the old content.  I would guess it's just 50-60,
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:52 PM

Hay Draegan, how come you can post this, it travels through the RSS feed, a non-zero amount of time passes, I read it in my reader, and I still had time to link your content post this awesome map here before you do it.  awesome, for real

W.I.P. Map of Telara in the RIFT expansion

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:21:05 PM

They cleared up the soul points thing today. More points and more than 51 in a tree.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 07:11:13 AM

Hay Draegan, how come you can post this, it travels through the RSS feed, a non-zero amount of time passes, I read it in my reader, and I still had time to link your content post this awesome map here before you do it.  awesome, for real

W.I.P. Map of Telara in the RIFT expansion

I try not to shill my website here if possible.  Thanks for posting!  Heart
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:25:10 PM

That's a lot of fucking space.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:03:18 PM

The explorer in me is drooling at those two new big islands.  Gotta get my Necro up to max level as well!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:34 PM

Have they announced the new souls yet?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:08 AM

Have they announced the new souls yet?

Nope.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:03:58 AM

I just noticed the cross faction capital. I'm really hoping they eliminate the grouping restrictions on PVE servers. This was the stupidest thing they took from WoW--particularly when you're doing rifts or zone invasions and there are two groups fully cooperating but unable to officially group together, heal each other, etc.

In any case, very much looking forward to this. After a couple of beta events leaving me feeling a bit "meh", more so than GW2.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:42 AM

I'll be playing again.  I'm going to be rerolling out of my rogue but I'll wait until the souls are announced to pick.

Also, with the same faction capitol, I've been thinking that they should get rid of Guardian/Defiant stuff and then just overlay their three-faction team conquest stuff on top of everything.  Factions are meaningless in this game now anyway except for open world pvp and pvp rifts but you can easily put that into the faction team thing anyway.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 01:55:02 PM

I will purchase this and play the hell out of it if.... they balance warriors in pvp. 

I'm sick of warriors having high dps and tons of cc in pvp.  It caused me to leave the game the first time.  If they balance pvp for the classes, I'd come back in a heartbeat.  Rift is the MMO I wanted to love... but couldn't.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:05 PM

Released a trailer for the new housing that's coming:

GameSpot link to video.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:55 PM

From what I have heard from guild people in the beta, the personal slivers are really cool. It's a case of, here have a piece of the world and here are item placement tools. Have fun storming the castle boys. The only limit seems to be your imagination and your ability to manipulate existing world items (rocks, trees, boards, beds, chests, everything) to realize your imagination.

On a further note, per the WoW tradition of releasing core game play changes early, the current souls are available on the PTS in their lvl 60 incarnations. There be dragons in these waters. Some things are hilariously broken, namely that one of the warrior charges is their highest damaging ability. The new souls are being kept for the actual expansion release.

There are some really odd choices. Macro'ing as it has been known in the game is gone for the most part because they have removed the cooldowns that made the monster macros possible. Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. It's certainly different and is the source of some entertaining firestorms on the forums.

In the case of the bard, it turns out that if you can get someone important, like Scott Hartsman, to notice your complaint, things do get better. Because the new bard is great. While not fundamentally different, it is mechanically smooth and entertaining. Stats now mean something, all the green numbers are belong to me. I have choices with my builders, but no real options for bad choices, just less optimal ones. Same deal with the finishers. I am now encouraged to use my finishers instead of sitting on combo points with a stacking buff that I can then turn into direct healing or maintain for increased general healing. Plus, using any finisher refreshes my 30 second buffs. It's good to be a bard.

They are also doing weekly live streams from the beta. Some are hilariously bad like the new rogue soul reveal. Who knew that doing a publicity event on the same server near live players could be a bad idea.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:20 PM

There are some really odd choices. Macro'ing as it has been known in the game is gone for the most part because they have removed the cooldowns that made the monster macros possible. Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. It's certainly different and is the source of some entertaining firestorms on the forums

Could you elaborate on this?
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:26 AM

I'm not sure what I can elaborate on. While you can still technically macro, what people mostly used them for was to pile up abilities into a single button.

For example, there's the standard rogue grinding spec.

The standard combo point builder macro is:

#show Puncture
suppressmacrofailures
cast Puncture
cast Precision Strike
cast Quick Strike
cast Keen Strike
cast expose weakness
cast reprisal
cast poison malice

This one button works because all of those abilities either have cooldowns and/or conditionals. Puncture currently has a 10 second CD. Precision Strike has a conditional and a 10 second CD. Same deal with Quick Strike. Keen Strike has no cool down. The last three are Off GCD cool down abilities.

So, the way the system works is that it tries to fire off the first available ability. If it can't, it will fail on to the next and the next until something works. So, at the beginning of a fight. Puncture will go off. The next press will fail on puncture - it's on CD - it will fail on Precision and Quick strike because the condition has not been met and eventually fire off Keen Strike because there is no condition and it has no CD. The third press would fire off Precision because puncture is still on CD and Keen Strike is it's conditional. A 4th press would fail on puncture and precision as they are both on CD. Quick would fail because it's condition has not been met and Keen would fire off. A 5th press sees Quick finally go off because the other two are on CD and Keen is it's conditional. Somewhere in there you will have button mashed while the GCD is still cycling so Expose Weakness and Poison Malice would have gone off because they are off the GCD and can be hit while that is going. If you dodged, then Reprisal might have gone off as well because it is also off the GCD.

So, the way it works now is that none of those on GCD skills have cool downs now. The conditionals are still in though. So, repeated mashing of that macro would see repeated applications of puncture which is a DoT with no initial damage. Thus no damage ever because you could reapply it before it ever did any damage. It used to be that the CD was the length of the dot, so pretty much a fire and forget deal. Now you need to watch a DoT timer to have it work right. Quick and Precision strike still have Keen Strike as their conditional, but now they have no CD so you can't macro all three together. If you do, it will fire keen and which ever is at the top of the macro. Quick would be the natural choice as it now does the most damage, but it is more expensive from an energy point of view so you would energy starve yourself in short order spaming that.

Bladedancer, which is the soul most of this spec is built off of is actually a fairly easy rotation with the way it works now in that you really only have two builders, one aoe ability, 3 finishers and then a set of macroable self buffs. But it's damage is somewhat debateable at the moment. The specs that are higher potential have several more dots to manage. The thing is that this is a fairly significant change in the complexity of the game. Outside of a single mage spec, most DPS specs can be adequately played with three to four macros. Playing without macros is generally a modest net gain, but not enough to entice more than the most dedicated.

If you look at a soul by itself, most of them look to play with 6-7 buttons, but once you add in two companion souls with abilities that can be used, the button total can easily double, all to be managed with out much in the way of queues from the game. And that's where the firestorms come from. There's a very vocal minority supporting this change.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:07 AM

Any word on the pvp equalization thing? I remember a vocal minority bitching up a storm about that one too (don't take away my punching bags! qq!).

Some of those things do seem interesting, though I likely still won't play a bard. Not sure about the ubermacro removal thing -- ubermacros were a bandaid solution over a system that encourages buttonmashing at its core. They could just turn most 'regular' abilities (not cooldowns) from non-primary souls into passive effects enhancing the primary soul's abilities, though I imagine it'd be even worse of a balance nightmare. GW2 and TSW have taught me that less can be more as far as hotbar buttons are concerned (though Rift still is nowhere near as bad as loremasters in LOTRO, for instance).

e: I also mainly play tank/healer on my cleric and warrior, so I only really used ubermacros for my rarely-used dps offspecs. There are still macros with 2-3 abilities for my healer cleric (especially for an -icar spec), but it's definitely not "playing the game for me", as the main challenge in healing is the decision-making involved in pushing one of my many healing abilities or timing my 4-5 tank-saving / mana cooldowns. Ditto with tanking, though I admit warrior tanking feels like feral bear tanking back in WOTLK (-> spam a no-cooldown high-damage/threat AOE, sometimes use mitigation skills).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:40:15 AM by Zetor »

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:32:58 AM

A couple of the other big changes.

They decoupled mage healing from damage done. Now it's some a calculation based on base cast time. This is good from a pvp perspective. But they seem to have done some under the hood changes to the tools mages use to do the healing, so spells are responding differently. They also capped healing from Radiant Spores at 5% of the mage's total health. Currently it is a 16% chance to heal for the damage done to the target. On heavy raid damage fights this single spell from one player can do 10-15% of total raid healing.

They have also put in new stat cap calculations, but instead of following the WoW traditon of phasing in the changes as you level, they are just in. On live I currently have a 50% self buffed crit chance. I have 22% on the PTS. To compensate, across the board damage numbers have gone up. On the PTS, my marskmen spec that I am bad at has me at 3.9k DPS solo, on live I can hit 2.3k in a group setting. So, a net positive, but the feel is certainly different.

They also killed off the major unexpected -icar healing specs. They removed the Mein of Honor buff that enabled all of those specs and moved Doctrine of Loyalty, the work horse healing spell deeper in the tree. They never were happy that 11 points in the tank soul provided some of the strongest synergy in he game.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:23 AM

PvP normalization got officially thrown under the bus after the first test.

However it appears that they might backdoor it in by just slapping flat, across the board reductions on skills in pvp with this small pair of notes:
Quote from: General Notes
* Healing has been reduced across the board in PvP combat.
* AoE Damage and Healing have been additionally reduced in general in PvP combat.

I have tried to get into a WF on the PTS, but the queues have not popped at all. There was a focused test giving out titles last night, but I was at work. The forum responses are mixed, unlike the vocal hateon for the normalization.

Oh, Planar Attunement is account bound. Each character shares the same pool. You only have to gain a point once and then every character you have can spend it. I have not experimented to see if it is account bound or server bound. With an eye to the future, early points cost much less but increase in cost as you have more. Someone figured out that each extra point costs an additional 2200xp capping out at slightly more than 1.6 million for the last point currently. They did make things "feel" better in that each point is now an actual click. You don't need to bank several levels worth of points to get something the way it works on live.

The current PTS is getting compared to LOTRO with some regularity for some souls.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 09:58:05 AM

I haven't played much beyond mage healing and that is only in 5 mans. But from what I have read, healing has just been themed up a bit more. Warden is now the AoE healer, reminiscent of -icar healing. Purifier is now tank healing with lots of shields. Sentinel is now sort of a battle triage healer with lots of really fast heals.

Apparently the reaver seems to be the go to best tank spec now and it's  a wall of buttons with all of its dots.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 02:29:59 PM

I'm not sure what I can elaborate on. While you can still technically macro, what people mostly used them for was to pile up abilities into a single button.

Thanks. It sounds like macros will still be viable, but that you'll need to use a few more total. Not quite the evisceration I was hoping for as someone that thinks macro gameplay isn't much fun.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:07 PM

Thanks. It sounds like macros will still be viable, but that you'll need to use a few more total. Not quite the evisceration I was hoping for as someone that thinks macro gameplay isn't much fun.
While I recognize they had a problem with the "one-button" gameplay, and a secondary problem with Marco management being a required part of the game... I read this and think that they have only made things worse. 
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:11 PM

The NDA, it done fell down go boom.

Anyway, the NDA is gone so there's more information coming out. Here's some of the biggest PvP change.

Quote from: Trion
Bolstering 2.0

[WIP] 1-59 Warfront Brackets• Other then access to higher ability ranks and talent gains, all players should now be boosted to the max level effectiveness available in the bracket.
 [WIP] Level 60 Warfronts and Conquest

Bolstering at max level now has less to do with rank, and is instead focused on the PVP Gear you have equipped

Instead of boosting individual stats if they are below the desired ranks goals, or capping individual stats when you are above those goals we now examine each piece of gear to determine if it needs to be replaced or ignored.
 • Each slot is compared against the lowest set of PVP gear available.
 • If your gear is less powerful its stats will be replaced with the Mercenary set.
 • If the gear you have equipped lacks Valor and is more powerful its stats will be replaced with gear from the Mercenary set.
 • Runes applied to your current gear will still take effect if they are replaced.
 • Synergy Crystal Bonuses use your equipped items to determine which bonuses are applied.
 • Synergy Crystals, Greater Essences, Trinkets and Seals are excluded from Bolstering.

In summary...if you want to gain an advantage on your opponents in Warfronts or Conquest you'll need to work on your PVP gear!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:21 PM

So basically they're eliminating the advantage provided by raid gear in pvp [good, except it doesn't include trinkets/seals/crystals/essences... how powerful are the best ones compared to a random level 50 blue one?], but they're keeping the "play hundreds of warzones without being able to dent your geared enemies until you eventually build up enough gear yourself, at which point you can roflstomp the noobs and bask in your awesome gearskillz" mentality alive.

Meh.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

Pre-expansion patch is live. I logged in with enough PA pioints to finish off Tier 1 and 2 of an entire tree which was nice. I also logged in to every one of my talent trees reset, which was less nice. Feeling completely overwhelmed by the changes as someone who hasn't touched the game in a few months. Re-specing a tree is one thing. Doing it for 5 trees is another.

I think I'm going to try to recreate my inquisicar spec and then just take pre-set souls for the rest until I figure out what has changed.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:51 AM

Taking raid weapons out of the hands of melee in PvP is a step in the right direction.  That and the new skill trees may get me to consider blowing $15 for a month. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:47 AM

I might wait for the expansion. Solo capacity is either enhanced - mage - or flat out moved - clerics and rogues - to the new souls. For mages, pairing harbinger and chloro makes for a soloing grind monster. Rogues and clerics relied on tools from the tank tree for their super grinding specs that have been changed or moved to the new souls. Rogues lost Rift Scavanger - unused combo points on a mob converted to health - and clerics lost the heal synergy from the justicar tree. In tactician, rogues pick up a buff that heals them each time they are hit and clerics pick up several health siphon dots in the defiler tree.

Anyway, they are "upgrading" their server hardware and merging servers again to create one server group for all of the various queues, dungeons and pvp. I don't know if this is market speak or what. I play on one of the kept servers and it feels busy, lots of AFKs in Sanctum, but I had started and moved off of two of the servers to be converted.

Quote from: Trion Peoples
Hail Ascended,

The servers of Storm Legion have arrived early! Since the beginning of the year we’ve been making constant advancements in our server technology as we worked to bring all of the shards closer together. Starting with European servers in July, we began our plans to have everyone in each region play on a single wargroup. Now we’re able to start the next leap forward – further focusing on removing the barriers between shards.

The advancements we’ve made this year have effectively doubled the capacity of the individual servers allowing more of you to play together than ever before while reducing the total number of shards we need to support RIFT’s active population.

What this means for you – we can now support all of our North American players on a single wargroup, further reducing queue times for dungeons and PvP while bringing the community even closer together.

This change is currently scheduled to occur this Wednesday, October 24. Here’s what the new mega-wargroup for North America will look like:

• Deepwood
  • Faeblight (RP)
  • Greybriar
  • Laethys (Oceanic)
  • Seastone (PvP)
  • Shatterbone
  • Threesprings
  • Wolfsbane

Briarcliff, Byriel, Deepstrike, Gnarlwood, Greenscale, Keenblade, Millrush, and Silkweb will be converted to trial-only shards – everyone currently on these shards will be able to take advantage of the Free Character Transfers to find yourself a new home or meet up with guild mates. You can find full instructions on how to transfer your characters & guilds here: Trion Support Center - Character Transfers

Sub-forums for the new trial shards will be archived for your reference.

With this massive increase in server capacity it will be easier than ever to enjoy RIFT to the fullest. We’ll be ready for anything as you and your friends storm our shores with the release of our first expansion – we can’t wait!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 07:26:41 AM

It's probably a little marketspeak, but its probably also legit with all the new zones coming online.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 01:30:08 PM

I might wait for the expansion. Solo capacity is either enhanced - mage - or flat out moved - clerics and rogues - to the new souls. For mages, pairing harbinger and chloro makes for a soloing grind monster. Rogues and clerics relied on tools from the tank tree for their super grinding specs that have been changed or moved to the new souls. Rogues lost Rift Scavanger - unused combo points on a mob converted to health - and clerics lost the heal synergy from the justicar tree.

It seems like the -icar specs are still intact, at least for soloing. The AoE group heal was moved up the tree and out of reach, but you can still pick up salvation and the self-heal with a few points in the justicar tree. Frankly the -icar specs always felt brokenly OP in group settings, so I can't say I'm surprised or all that disappointed. Outside of master mode dungeons, my inquisicar spec was usually enough to play as the groups healer *and* do very competitive damage.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:27 PM

Hm, I was using an inq/cab/sentinel spec for soloing/rifting, and my survivability came mostly from the '90% of Vex damage heals you' talent - and in tough spots I could use healing breath and/or fear the enemy to get a few piddly slow-cast heals off (this was VERY rare, even on ember isle with my blue gear). I assume those trees haven't changed much?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 02:35:28 PM

I believe inquisitor aoe damage got nerfed, but otherwise those trees seem pretty similar to how they were before.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 07:15:45 AM

For some reason, they decided to take AoE out of most trees and build dedicated AoE trees and these trees are at best suboptimal for ST and are often flat out terrible at ST. However, there are a number of fights that call for periods of AoE and periods of ST. For the most part, I would say that these are fights designed for the old paradigm, but I don't know that I'd really trust these developers, who really like their very tight DPS checks, or any developers really to design with fights that avoid mixing things.

Anyway, the first phase of the new World Event was fairly underwhelming, but the second phase is shaping up to be entertaining with Instant Adventures in the main cities. Granted, mobs have a tendency to explode upon spawn because of the people, but the concept is still cool.  They need to do something with the invasion adventures though. The mobs keep their invulnerable buff until they are nearly on top of the wardstone, so I have yet to see one of those succeed even with nearly everyone blowing their heal the wardstone thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift's first expansion - Storm Legion  
Jump to: