Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 394015 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #175 on: July 27, 2014, 01:18:06 PM

You horrible people made me re-watch the Mass Effect one opening and the Destiny opening.  They are pretty much identical if you consider the advances in graphics since ME1.  They are both generic sci-fi teasers that lure you into the game, they are both good at that.

Worse yet, you have made me want to both replay the Mass Effect series and pre order Destiny.  Replaying Mass Effect would require me to install Origin again though so I think I'll just pre order.  Even though I'm probably going to be a terrible person and install Origin to play Dragon Age three...
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #176 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:26 PM

I'll probably do the same for DA3 too, even though they're not putting it out for the Mac this time.

Bastards.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #177 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:37 PM

Bungie may have just talked me out of buying the game.

End-game, six player raids. If these were just longer versions of Strikes, I'd be perfectly ok with it, but these are Friends only with no random match-making, so you're either going to have to have five friends with this game able to play at the same time as you, or I guess you're going to have to join a Destiny raiding guild or something.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #178 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:28 PM

Six people and there are jumping puzzles.  That is quickly going to turn groups of six friends into groups of four to five who hate the other one to two.

I wonder if Titan got cancelled because there was too much overlap with this after they sorta-bought Bungie.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 30, 2014, 09:55:03 PM

I can't help it. I see "Lead Designer for Destiny", and for all the guy's talent in design, he's not well versed in creating a respectable appearance with his audience. A hoodie. A god damn hoodie in an exclusive interview, and an unflattering, tight shot of his head. I couldn't get over my mental image of "schlub."

He sounded like he was explaining to a group of children about his cool new toy that you guyz should really check out. Come on, guyz!

OK, I think I got it out of my system.

I SPENT SIX MINUTES EXPLAINING WHAT A RAID IS AND WHAT A DAILY QUEST IS THAT WAS COMPLETELY UNINFORMATIVE ABOUT WHAT DISTINGUISHES MY PRODUCT FROM OTHERS.

ok.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #180 on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:48 AM

You horrible people made me re-watch the Mass Effect one opening and the Destiny opening.  They are pretty much identical if you consider the advances in graphics since ME1.  They are both generic sci-fi teasers that lure you into the game, they are both good at that.

Worse yet, you have made me want to both replay the Mass Effect series and pre order Destiny.  Replaying Mass Effect would require me to install Origin again though so I think I'll just pre order.  Even though I'm probably going to be a terrible person and install Origin to play Dragon Age three...

Funny story, that. I'm doing a back to back superplay of the mass effect series as we speak and have many words about the game's opening.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #181 on: July 31, 2014, 02:46:28 AM

I can't help it. I see "Lead Designer for Destiny", and for all the guy's talent in design, he's not well versed in creating a respectable appearance with his audience. A hoodie. A god damn hoodie in an exclusive interview, and an unflattering, tight shot of his head. I couldn't get over my mental image of "schlub."

I cut Luke Smith a lot of slack because he could could be pretty entertaining and informative back in his 1Up days, and I don't really give a shit what he wears to interviews. I don't even necessarily fault him for his design philosophy here or how he discusses it. The raids actually do sound like fun. Of all my friends though, I don't know that I have five that I would classify as gamers, let alone five who are interested in Destiny, have a PS4, and are free for a couple hours at roughly the same time I am. Trying to find a guild of strangers who care enough to try to raid and have enough people on most of the time, but are casual enough that they don't need people who are the greatest players or require people commit to regular scheduled raids, is more of a crapshoot than just letting me try to play with matchmaking.

Beyond that it's just shitty typical MMO design, where it doesn't look like you're required or even particularly encouraged to socialize with other players through the rest of the game (never once heard a person use a mic in Beta and I have no idea if it was even possible to communicate with other players). Then the end game requires teamwork in a way the rest of the game didn't build up to.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #182 on: August 26, 2014, 05:03:13 PM

2 weeks away. Looks like I'll be playing since we actually got raises this year (if you call 3% a raise - go go grant funded university positions!).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #183 on: August 26, 2014, 06:51:18 PM

I'll be there. Took the 9th and 10th off to play.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:45 PM

What, really? Did you play the beta? It's like a weak ass Borderlands. What's worth taking time off for?!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: August 26, 2014, 09:22:24 PM

What's everyone getting this on? PS4 here, hoping to find some f13ers to play with.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #186 on: August 26, 2014, 09:33:07 PM

What, really? Did you play the beta? It's like a weak ass Borderlands. What's worth taking time off for?!

Played the alpha and the beta.

Borderlands' story sucked. The humor was good, the characters were sometimes memorable, the overall story across both games with the exception of Tiny Tina's arc was shit.

I like the depth of Bungie's stuff and I'm looking forward to it.

PS4, by the way.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #187 on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:03 PM

What's everyone getting this on? PS4 here, hoping to find some f13ers to play with.

Despite my dislike of the whole raiding thing, I'll be picking this up on PS4 (PSN name is Velorath also).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #188 on: August 26, 2014, 09:48:49 PM

Not super excited about the raid shit either, but then I haven't cared for raids since Planes of Power scarred me for life.

schild
Administrator

Reply #189 on: August 26, 2014, 11:04:48 PM

I know it's 2014 and console shooters have been around since before some kids going through puberty today were born.

But fuck console shooters. Always have and always will suck as long as we're tied to a thumbstick.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #190 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:56 PM

I do like that white PS4, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #191 on: August 26, 2014, 11:31:41 PM

-_- damn yo it's plastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: August 27, 2014, 03:29:02 AM

PS4 when it gets delivered. I haven't set up a PSN account, but will update when the time comes.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #193 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:42 AM

I SPENT SIX MINUTES EXPLAINING WHAT A RAID IS AND WHAT A DAILY QUEST IS THAT WAS COMPLETELY UNINFORMATIVE ABOUT WHAT DISTINGUISHES MY PRODUCT FROM OTHERS.

I think you missed his point. The raids and daily quests are what will set his game apart. Because people who play console shooters are all about raiding and repeating quests once a day, day after day. HE KNOWS HIS MARKET.

Also, I wouldn't let that guy look though my rulebooks or cards at the local game store, he looks like he would get Cheeto powder and pizza grease all over them. He looks like he just rolled out of bed in his parent's basement's "apartment". Jesus... at least have enough pride to wet down your bed hair enough that it smooths down the flips.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #194 on: August 27, 2014, 10:58:29 AM

-_- damn yo it's plastic
It matches my white Vita awesome, for real
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

I'll be there. Took the 9th and 10th off to play.

Yep, me too. Helps that the 9th is my birthday so, double reason to take off work.

I'll be on PS4. If anyone feels like it, friend me up, PSN name is Mossybrew.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #196 on: August 27, 2014, 02:00:22 PM

I think you missed his point. The raids and daily quests are what will set his game apart. Because people who play console shooters are all about raiding and repeating quests once a day, day after day. HE KNOWS HIS MARKET.

Also, I wouldn't let that guy look though my rulebooks or cards at the local game store, he looks like he would get Cheeto powder and pizza grease all over them. He looks like he just rolled out of bed in his parent's basement's "apartment". Jesus... at least have enough pride to wet down your bed hair enough that it smooths down the flips.

FUCK YOUR CONVENTIONS! I'M A GAME DEVELOPER, YO!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #197 on: August 27, 2014, 02:09:21 PM

It's like he went out of his way to make us hope he fails.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #198 on: August 29, 2014, 05:08:54 AM

2 weeks away. Looks like I'll be playing since we actually got raises this year (if you call 3% a raise - go go grant funded university positions!).
3%? I got the max raise I could get last year and it was 1% because my university president spent my raise to freeze tuition.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #199 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:41 PM

Fuck that guy.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #200 on: August 30, 2014, 03:58:27 PM

Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: August 30, 2014, 04:46:32 PM

Of course it does. It's raiding. The very word was shit back in the day and is still shit. Kids will still do it and pound their chests and the rest will just hand wave it away with a hurrumph. Raiding in any game now is shit.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #202 on: August 30, 2014, 06:46:52 PM

This. Raids always have been and always will be for people that don't have anything better to do with their Saturday nights. Get your uber gear and flaunt it in the Crucible and in the Tower and go nuts. I'll be out in the field not giving a fuck.

Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: August 30, 2014, 07:45:36 PM

Oh and just to be clear, I am not on the offensive here. If Bungie decides that raids are primary for development and neglect the other parts of the future of the game, then I will wholeheartedly give a shit about raiding and bitch to no end about it. Hell, I'll even do PvP and like it before I consider raiding. Until we get to that point, I'll try and stay positive.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: August 31, 2014, 06:24:22 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #205 on: September 01, 2014, 01:43:06 PM

IT TAKES 45 MINUTES TO OPEN THE DOOR TO THE RAID!!!!! EXPERIENCE OUR SCINTILLATING DOOR OPENING SIMULATION! THRILL AT THE SOUND OF TUMBLERS GOING CLICKETY CLACK!

... the fuck?  swamp poop

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52:34 PM

IT TAKES 45 MINUTES TO OPEN THE DOOR TO THE RAID!!!!! EXPERIENCE OUR SCINTILLATING DOOR OPENING SIMULATION! THRILL AT THE SOUND OF TUMBLERS GOING CLICKETY CLACK!

Ha yea, but I read that as it taking a long time to figure out how to open the door, but once you do, it won't.

Of course, their definition of "figuring it out" could be smacking the door with axes  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #207 on: September 01, 2014, 04:24:20 PM

It was a bunch of shooter jockeys with not a lot of experience raiding and no idea about the mechanics.

Picture that scene in Zoolander where they're trying to get the files out of the computer.

Not that I'm defending the concept because raids suck but context.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM by Surlyboi »

Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: September 01, 2014, 05:01:09 PM

It was a bunch of shooter jockeys with not a lot of experience raiding and no idea about the mechanics.

Picture that scene in Zealander where they're trying to get the files out of the computer.

Not that I'm defending the concept because raids suck but context.

Autocorrect just made this awesome.  awesome, for real

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:46 PM

Not even.  Experience the thrill of look up how to do it online and then do it in 5 minutes.  Which I guess is marginally better than taking 45 minutes to figure it out.

On the one hand, if this attracts the Halo crowd and puts them into World of Warcraft 2004 edition, I have to admit I am tempted to play just to witness the hilarity that will ensue.

But not really, there's no way I'll ever play this game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: