Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393958 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #140 on: June 17, 2014, 10:01:17 PM

I liked it. It's still rough as fuck, but it's got promise.

I wouldn't say it's rough as fuck (and it would be pretty bad if it was since it comes out in less than three months I think).  I thought it seemed decent enough, but couldn't tell based on the Alpha if it will have enough content to remain entertaining for longer than a few hours, and how much depth or breadth there actually is to the loot and character building.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:43 PM

The more they show of this, the less interested I am in it.  Once upon a time, I thought it looked/sounded like it'd be fantastic, but everything since then points more and more to 'Borderlands with more grinding and less humor'.  C'est la vie.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #142 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:26 PM

Well, going after Borderlands humor will just backfire.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #143 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:30 PM

It's supposed to have humor but not Borderland wacky-hoho-meme-meme type humor.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 23, 2014, 04:31:51 PM

We saw this with SWTOR, didn't we? Nearly without exception, the more a company blows on a title, the more conservative and CYA the end result. It may be solid, but it's not going to be memorable.

How much did Skyrim cost to make?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:08 PM

I've been seeing $80-85 million for Skyrim's combined development and marketing.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #146 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:03 PM

Beta kicks off this Thursday for Playstation owners and Sunday for XBoners.

Sony fans get almost a week to play, XBoxers get three days.

And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Also, they announced two editions of the game with extra shit. The special and ghost editions. The ghost editions sold out in about an hour on Amazon.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #147 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:36 PM

After running through the beta, the story seems a lot more coherent. This could be amazeballs. A decent combination of Mass Effect, a shooter and an MMO. The lack of a PC version only bothers me slightly.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #148 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:33 AM

Snagged a PS3 code off Sony's tweets. 

It's pretty cool, but I'm not going to buy until I have a PS4.  It's fairly smooth, but the textures on PS3 are muddy.  The aim assist is great for non-fps noobs like me. 

Based on a few hours, would buy.  On PS4 only.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:43 AM

Played a bit of the beta with my brother yesterday.  Looks great, plays pretty much like the love child of Halo and Borderlands.  The MMO-esque parts are pretty apparent right off, with what seems like ten different currencies and faction grinding nonsense exposed to you right off the bat.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #150 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:31 PM

Apparently this is now open to all.  http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:25 PM

No PC version means that it yields zero attention from me.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #152 on: July 24, 2014, 07:09:11 PM

Yeah, really not getting a console just for this even if it is Titanrise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #153 on: July 24, 2014, 08:10:06 PM

I was going to get a console anyway, this is the first game that has been worth it on the next gens.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:59 PM

I can't play FPS with thumbsticks. Shame too, because this sounds excellent. Any chance you're able to use kb+m on the PS3 and/or PS4?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 25, 2014, 11:40:40 AM

I have no problem playing a thumbstick based FPS, and after mucking with the beta last night, I do not get the hype at all.  It's like a worse version of every game it's trying to ape.  Resistance 2 did the coop better, Mass Effect did the story better, and Borderlands did the loot better.  I just do not get this game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #156 on: July 25, 2014, 12:08:33 PM

I prefer FPS with thumb sticks because I have opposable ones.  Poor old Ren.  I'm going to try this out later today, I think.  I actually finally fixed my old M14x and downloaded some games (like Rift and Original Sin) for my sister.  Learning to use a PC laptop should keep her occupied for months.  Maybe years.  She only started gaming (just WoW) a couple years ago and only on a Mac.  She's never even seen a game like Destiny or Halo and has never played a single player RPG.  The ensuing questions and groans of dismay should be fun.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #157 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:57 PM

I have no problem playing a thumbstick based FPS, and after mucking with the beta last night, I do not get the hype at all.  It's like a worse version of every game it's trying to ape.  Resistance 2 did the coop better, Mass Effect did the story better, and Borderlands did the loot better.  I just do not get this game.

Thats basically how I feel. Its the 1980 Bard of videogames. Trying to be a jack of all trades but excelling at none.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #158 on: July 25, 2014, 07:37:45 PM

Mass Effect did the story better?

How do you compare a demo to a three episode game 10 years in the making?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 25, 2014, 11:41:28 PM

If you compare it to even the opening sequence of Mass Effect 1, it's pretty easy.  Destiny's opening is terrible.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:44 AM

Yeah, but how does the ending of Destiny compare to the ending of a three game ten year franchise that gave you the epic choice of red, blue, or green?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #161 on: July 26, 2014, 03:13:31 PM

Played two characters up to level 4 so far, including a couple hours of co-op. If I get this, it will be for the co-op. Has those little halo'isms all over. Two weapons to switch between, no snap cover, regening shields, etc. Nothing ground breaking, but I though it played well. Enemy AI shows some strategy at times which is nice. Very pretty graphics. Huge maps that actually encourage you to go exploring. Maps are designed to let co-op teams use tactics. Mobs targeting one player don't auto notice a player coming up behind them, so flanking strategies actually work. Jumping is useful and aids in exploring, game lets you execute all your attacks mid jump.

Have no interest at all in the PVP aspect, so I'll be curious to see how much that locks me out of.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #162 on: July 26, 2014, 03:49:51 PM

It's not really trying to be Borderlands (or Diablo) loot though, because those games don't really try to maintain any sort of balance.  In those games you want to find overpowered loot because that's how you progress to the next difficulty level to try to find more overpowered loot. Bungie seems to want to keep things more skill-based here. The loot seems to be almost more for customization purposes.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:23 PM

It's not really trying to be Borderlands (or Diablo) loot though, because those games don't really try to maintain any sort of balance.  In those games you want to find overpowered loot because that's how you progress to the next difficulty level to try to find more overpowered loot. Bungie seems to want to keep things more skill-based here. The loot seems to be almost more for customization purposes.

Yeah I think you've hit on a key difference here. Loot isn't the Borderlands/Diablo style of overflowing drops you have to constantly sort through and look at either. Borderlands in particular just became a wearying sort-fest with an overwhelming amount of junk guns, but you'd feel compelled to look at each one just in case, sometimes that green would be better than a blue a few level old. The fact you can level the gun itself in Destiny encourages you to find a weapon that you prefer and stick with it, I imagine much moreso at the level cap. The fun is in the skillful execution of combat like any proper FPS, the loot chase is more a tasty layer on top of that than the main course.

As for the Story I think here its clearly more background flavor, a game like Mass Effect is based entirely around the story, its not really comperable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:45:29 PM by AcidCat »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 26, 2014, 09:05:24 PM

Keep posting things like that, it makes me less upset that us PC players are missing out.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #165 on: July 26, 2014, 09:34:08 PM

That would be win/win then because I don't really get why people come into a thread for a game that is console exclusive, just to declare they aren't getting it because it's not on PC.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:56 PM

It's interesting how much of a split there is on the Borderlands loot issue.  Whenever I try to get into Borderlands, I feel like I can see a really fun game underneath all the loot, but I can't be bothered to deal with the loot hassle just to find the fun.  Destiny lets me deal with a few pieces of loot every mission.  That's about what I want from an FPS.

It's an interesting phenomenon, because I have no problem at all with tons of loot in diablo-style games.  Something about an fps game makes me extremely averse to inventory management being a significant part of the gameplay.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #167 on: July 27, 2014, 01:41:26 AM

Despite the randomness, Diablo still has a lot of structure to its loot and it factors heavily into your character build. Borderlands loot is a lot more random.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #168 on: July 27, 2014, 05:38:21 AM

I been holding off on picking up a PS4 because I am probably going to pick up the bundle with this game. The only caveat is it looks like you are stuck with the white PS4 as the only option. I don't really want white but the price on the bundle is too tempting not to get it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #169 on: July 27, 2014, 07:55:11 AM

If you compare it to even the opening sequence of Mass Effect 1, it's pretty easy.  Destiny's opening is terrible.

You may need to go back and watch the intro to Mass Effect again. And quantify "terrible" while you're at it.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #170 on: July 27, 2014, 08:02:44 AM

As far as I can tell the only reason to buy the bundle is if you want a white console.  It doesn't even seem to get a CE edition of the game?

Worse than the white console would be the white controller imo.

Edit: Oh I guess you might save like ten bucks on the bundle.  And it looks like the standard ones don't come with a trial of PS+ anymore so that would save some more if you don't already have one.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #171 on: July 27, 2014, 09:31:44 AM

So I played this last night and I liked it.  I'm hoping accuracy improves a LOT with leveling and skills and all that stuff.  I've tried the Warlock and the Titan until you get to the city so I just have to try the other one that I don't remember what it's named. 

What's the matter with white?  Do you let your hands go all Cheesy Poof nasty?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #172 on: July 27, 2014, 09:53:28 AM

I'd be more worried about wine stains at this point.

White just reminds me of 80's tech and the controller would stick out like a sore thumb just lying on my couch or end tables.  I guess your console should match your couch and since white is a popular couch color this could be good.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 27, 2014, 11:04:39 AM

If you compare it to even the opening sequence of Mass Effect 1, it's pretty easy.  Destiny's opening is terrible.

You may need to go back and watch the intro to Mass Effect again. And quantify "terrible" while you're at it.

That was my point about exactly how bad Destiny's story and writing is.  Mass Effect 1's opening is lauded as being pretty bad as far as writing goes.  Destiny  however fails extremely badly at "show, don't tell" to an almost absurd degree.  You're basically walking through a non-interactive monologue the whole beta.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #174 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26:11 PM

Then we must not have been playing the same game.

The intro was just enough to give you backstory on why the world is the way it is. You're now centuries on from when everything went to shit and now a lot of the details have fallen into vague legend. You learn more as you go. The only thing non-interactive about it is the astronauts on Mars that find the Traveller and the man's rise and fall after that.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: