Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  (Read 44770 times)
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 29, 2012, 10:20:15 AM

Free level!

The Lord of the Land approaches..
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:50 PM

This storyline, for all its faults, is still leaps and bounds above Cataclysm's "storyline."  Ohhhhh, I see.

That's like saying liver cancer is better than ebola.  True, but not comforting. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:45 PM

I didn't read any outside information at all, and I'm pretty sure I understand that the Nephalim are the progeny of the demons and angels that fled to Sanctuary, that the worldstone was used to dampen their strength, and when it was shattered, that power started coming back.  So unless there's something I'm missing that's hugely important, that info is totally in the game.

That said, I sorta agree that it would be cooler to just be a normal human, but whatevs.  Not a serious issue (such as the Lord of Lies being a hilariously poor liar).
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #108 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:07 PM

Seriously, the more I think about it, the sadder Belial makes me. The Lord of Lies has such huuuuuuge potential waaaaaaaah.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #109 on: May 29, 2012, 05:06:26 PM

How do you know he wasn't trying to be captured? Huh? Huh?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:27 PM

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:20 PM

How do you know he wasn't trying to be captured? Huh? Huh?

I actually vaguely held out hope that you never actually killed him (as you only see his illusion form die), but the total lack of any indication later on that Diablo diidn't actually have Belial's "real" soul later on kinda killed that theory for me.  While you could run with that in an expansion, it'd be pretty lame that it wasn't telegraphed in the slightest.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #112 on: May 29, 2012, 07:11:34 PM

I won't lie, I totally cracked up when she expressed outrage and disbelief that Belial might've maybe not been 100% honest with her. It was possibly my favorite moment with her, because it was so unbelievably dumb it wrapped around to so-bad-it-is-AWESOME for me. <3

Ivanneth
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 30, 2012, 07:37:30 AM

such as the Lord of Lies being a hilariously poor liar

Maybe he's more like a manager and doesn't really do much lying himself. He just does paperwork, handles employee conflicts and does performance reviews.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:21 PM

such as the Lord of Lies being a hilariously poor liar

Maybe he's more like a manager and doesn't really do much lying himself. He just does paperwork, handles employee conflicts and does performance reviews.

Heart

This would actually explain a lot of the story and the other characters as well.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #115 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:23 PM

It would have been much more acceptable as a story if the character voices weren't so obviously evil EVEN WHILE THEY HELP YOU.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 30, 2012, 09:19:03 PM

It would have been much more acceptable as a story if the character voices weren't so obviously evil EVEN WHILE THEY HELP YOU.

In regards to the evil wizard:  I see where they were going with him, in that he wasn't "really" evil, he was trying to bring power back to humans so we wouldn't live at the whim of angels/demons.  Which would have worked spectacularly since he moustache twirls from the moment you meet him and pretty much holds up a big neon sign saying "EVIL BASTARD".  Except the storytelling wasn't very good and what could have been a good flip, making him the good guy and the horadrim/angels being the people keeping humans down, was instead swept under the rug.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #117 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:06 PM

He is the other Lost Opportunity Character, yes. But he has a magical evil laugh, so I like him anyway. <3

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 31, 2012, 12:41:15 AM

Major story choices that had my head scratching:

-Hazan was clearly Belial after he magically showed up in the sewers to meet you.  This is the Lord of Lies?

I also liked the fact that when he is there he is all like "I am emperor and while i could not help you at court, i can help you now!" and does so, by opening a gate
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:01 AM

Just finished normal at last.

I now wish I could just switch the entire storyline off and never see/hear it again.

I much preferred D2s

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:12 PM

Why did we kill the evil wizard guy anyway? He held up his end of the bargain, then seems to be scratching his head over wtf the soulstone's been tampered with, then we kill him.  Was that Adria's doing, eliminating someone who was about to reveal her plan?

I think I might have nodded off during the monologueing and missed something.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #121 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06:48 PM

He wouldn't give over the black soulstone so you had to kill him.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 01, 2012, 02:50:32 PM

Is it just me or does Diablo carry more than a passing resemblance to Kerrigan Oueen of Blades?

My first thought was "WTF? THAT'S Diablo?" I know it was Leah bu that has to be the worst rendering of Diablo I've seen.

In D1 and 2 he was bulky and muscular and designed to terrify - in D3 it's like Mr Diablo stepped out of his office and his secretary is there to chat to you and offer you a cup of tea and make you feel comfortable as you await your imminent doom.

I know Blizzard likes putting tits and arse and hourglass figures on everything and that Kerrigan is the Destroyer of Humanity that you would like to fuck, but watering down Diablo's intimidation factor? Seriously Blizzard.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 01, 2012, 02:53:01 PM

But we just hit Kulle until he fell over, why did the previous attempt to do the same have to divide his body parts up and bury them in elaborate crypts under the sand?

I'm about to kill him in Hell, Lyndon is great in the lead-up, and a lot of it just doesn't make sense the more backstory you get from multiple playthroughs.  They totally need to bring him back as the Archangel of Evil Cackles in Act 5 after we smack down Imperious and company. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #124 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:28 PM

I thought Diablo was perfectly fine design-wise, except his shoulder plates from the top-down angle DID sort of look like boobs. And he was totally swinging his hips seductively in his busting into heaving cinematic. No naturally occurring high heels, though.

Buuuut I don't find "vaguely feminine" automatically "less intimidating," I suppose.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:46 PM

And he was totally swinging his hips seductively in his busting into heaving cinematic.
His boobs were heaving?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #126 on: June 01, 2012, 03:37:52 PM

I found myself wishing they had actually had Jennifer Hale do the Diablo voice too, with whatever sorts of post-effect stuff to make it sound demonic.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #127 on: June 01, 2012, 03:41:34 PM

And he was totally swinging his hips seductively in his busting into heaving cinematic.
His boobs were heaving?

Whoops, meant Heaven. I am totally leaving that mistake, though!  why so serious?

Ivanneth
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 01, 2012, 03:51:47 PM

But we just hit Kulle until he fell over, why did the previous attempt to do the same have to divide his body parts up and bury them in elaborate crypts under the sand?

What I took from the lore books was they couldn't hurt him enough to outdamage his health regen - something weird about his blood being sand. They were just 'above average' folks who teamed up to take down someone who was comparatively super-powerful. The player character is "nephalem" which makes them more powerful than Kulle, or his equal, or something.

Edit: even with my explanation it still doesn't make any sense. Oh well.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:56:24 PM by Ivanneth »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #129 on: June 01, 2012, 03:53:34 PM

And who knows really, maybe we just beat him up enough to take the soulstone away and he's happily regenerating away where we left him.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #130 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:48 PM

One can hope.  Heart

And maybe he'll want to beat up Adria with us!  why so serious?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:12 PM

Is it just me or does Diablo carry more than a passing resemblance to Kerrigan Oueen of Blades?

My first thought was "WTF? THAT'S Diablo?" I know it was Leah bu that has to be the worst rendering of Diablo I've seen.

In D1 and 2 he was bulky and muscular and designed to terrify - in D3 it's like Mr Diablo stepped out of his office and his secretary is there to chat to you and offer you a cup of tea and make you feel comfortable as you await your imminent doom.

I know Blizzard likes putting tits and arse and hourglass figures on everything and that Kerrigan is the Destroyer of Humanity that you would like to fuck, but watering down Diablo's intimidation factor? Seriously Blizzard.

After two games with a pretty consistent appearance

It was kinda jarring to go to sexyDiablo.

(And who wants to fuck Kerrigan?  ACK! I bet her vajayjay is full of leech mouths and shit like that.  swamp poop)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:58:43 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #132 on: June 02, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

I thought I was alone in thinking Diablo had a sexy little sashay number going on.  It was one of those "did I just see that?" moments.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 02, 2012, 05:53:08 PM

Diablo manifests characteristics of the host  - in this case Leah. (So says Metzen on the Behind the Scenes DVD, don't shoot the messenger).  I actually didn't mind it myself *shrugs*.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #134 on: June 02, 2012, 06:36:13 PM

I was leaning toward the side that thought Diablo resembled the queen from Aliens. I think it was the tail...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 02, 2012, 07:00:31 PM

I am hating the story more and more as I play. I can't hit spacebar/escape fast enough to MAKE THE STORY STOP OH GOD.. seriously, it's so bad it could be used for torture. The image earlier on this page is a good representation of this. I feel like they wanted us to think Maghda was something other than a monocle-wearing mustache-twirling cartoon villain when they have Leah say stuff like 'she's toying with us!' or having Magdha say stuff like "let the games begin!" as if she's some kind of chess-master. I just want to kill mobs but I'm continuously interrupted by whatever villain of the act saying idiotic shit like 'you're dooooooooomed' or some variation over and over.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 02, 2012, 08:33:30 PM

Diablo manifests characteristics of the host  - in this case Leah. (So says Metzen on the Behind the Scenes DVD, don't shoot the messenger).  I actually didn't mind it myself *shrugs*.

swamp poop I don't hate the concept, but in execution I think Diablo wound up looking goofy.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:28 AM

I am hating the story more and more as I play. I can't hit spacebar/escape fast enough to MAKE THE STORY STOP OH GOD.. seriously, it's so bad it could be used for torture. The image earlier on this page is a good representation of this. I feel like they wanted us to think Maghda was something other than a monocle-wearing mustache-twirling cartoon villain when they have Leah say stuff like 'she's toying with us!' or having Magdha say stuff like "let the games begin!" as if she's some kind of chess-master. I just want to kill mobs but I'm continuously interrupted by whatever villain of the act saying idiotic shit like 'you're dooooooooomed' or some variation over and over.

Wait until the last act, where Diablo tries to guilt-trip you into giving up and walking away. It's your fault Leah dies! It's your fault Cain dies! Give up and go home!
Also annoying: Belial's great deception (WHO COULD IT BE), and Adria's sudden but inevitable betrayal are both things you see coming a mile away.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 03, 2012, 05:53:53 AM

I really didn't have a problem with the story. I don't expect a deep literary narrative from Blizzard games, but I wasn't really disappointed with much. Cain getting killed off by a mid-boss was pretty stupid (Maghda should have been the end boss of Act 1 which would have largely fixed that) but the rest was all about what I expected. There were plenty of "DOOD THAT WAS EPIC" moments my friends and I had over Mumble while watching the cutscenes.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 03, 2012, 08:09:07 AM

I really didn't have a problem with the story. I don't expect a deep literary narrative from Blizzard games, but I wasn't really disappointed with much. Cain getting killed off by a mid-boss was pretty stupid (Maghda should have been the end boss of Act 1 which would have largely fixed that) but the rest was all about what I expected. There were plenty of "DOOD THAT WAS EPIC" moments my friends and I had over Mumble while watching the cutscenes.

I agree with the Maghda bit. It seemed totally obvious to me that she was the Act 1 boss, then..a wild butcher appears!  Then you gank her in what is a boring/easy boss fight mid way through Act 2 to no fanfare (despite the fact that my character insists he/she is pissed and will get revenge for Cain).  In fact, to a degree a large part of Act 1 -> Mid Act 2 felt kind of meandering and weird story wise.

The end of Act 2, Act 3 and Act 4 at least all had clear direction and purpose (I especially like Act 3) and it almost felt like the beginning was just Blizzard trying to force Tristram into the story and figuring out how to get to the good part.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Storyline (WARNING SPOILERS)  
Jump to: