Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard  (Read 49662 times)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #140 on: June 13, 2012, 07:05:33 PM

Y'all are a bunch of masochists, you know that?

He was remarkably calm, considering that he didn't even burst into tears.

I agree, I would have been contorting my face into all kinds of crazy while trying to keep it down...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #141 on: June 14, 2012, 05:18:35 AM

That's a well-balanced guy who has all his priorities exactly right.  Kudos to him for keeping it in perspective.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #142 on: June 14, 2012, 05:45:27 AM

To be honest... in hardcore, you have to almost EXPECT that you will die at some point so that has to be tempering. However, to afk die... yeah, Merusk is dead on.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #143 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:21 AM

I'm pretty sure my HC death will go something like this.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:11 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:37 AM

Except there will be multiple rugrats involved!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:00 PM

Spirit Vessel, it saved my ass. The fiancee was all talking to me and shit while I was soloing a nasty rare pack of walling mortaring molten (or something like that). Got a little stuck, but made it out with 10%. Up to 57, boy it's gonna suck when I die soon!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:53 PM

I think if you make it all the way to sixty that you should get the option to move the character one way into regular mode. Mostly because of emotional attachment.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:35 AM

Yay my first 60! 

60 hardcore, woot. On to finish hell, and die in Inferno.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 17, 2012, 04:57:52 PM

Slayer, you are one crazy ass mother fucker. I'm proud to have Cho'gathed a game with you in LoL.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 17, 2012, 05:19:40 PM

Major Props Slay. My Monk is now 19 after slaying Magda.

I have one question though, when do you restart quests to gain levels?

I know Act 3/4 are dangerous but I don't remember Act 1 nightmare being too bad...

Act 2 is definitely a step up but since Monk is so natural for me I'm still an arrogant sonofabitch and am willing to fight double packs when they're too close together and chase goblins into mini-bosses...

Almost died from lag at the entrance to Khasim Outpost  why so serious?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 17, 2012, 07:29:19 PM

Barb. Level 27. I was running a Wizard but the Barbarian feels so much safer.

Of course I'm only in Normal diff, so of course it feels safe o.O

Got through the Siege event in act III Normal earlier today.

My build.

I'm actually a little reckless. I just Leap into the center of whatever and start Cleaving away.
And then count on a health globe to pop, or Revenge to activate.
This strategy will probably not hold together if I make it to NM, but it's worked so far, and I'm finding the Barb to be the most fun if I play him like he's Wolverine.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:05 PM

I'm running something similar and you'll do fine, especially if you bargain hunt off the AH.  I paid out for a square amethyst and have been buying up socketed weapons for the +35 per hit on top of whatever I can find at my level.  I also bought Born's set (shoulders and chest) and I've been wearing them for almost 20 levels now.  At the moment I've got 52 health per hit and 93.8 xp per kill with a 17% bonus, I can just stand in plagued firechains packs in Nightmare and burn them down relatively safely.  I'm well over-levelled compared to my normal Barb who didn't go the +exp per kill route.

I've been using Earthquake for my "clear the room" ability (and to kill treasure goblins) and Ancient Spear to deal with runners.  That's in place of Charge and Call of the Ancients.  Cleave is starting to feel underwhelming in Nightmare but it could just be the 5 level old weapon.  I'm considering Frenzy with Sidearm and Weapon Throw or Seismic Slam to deal with issues at a distance (spear tends to hit something nearby and not my actual target).
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 18, 2012, 07:36:45 AM

Major Props Slay. My Monk is now 19 after slaying Magda.

I have one question though, when do you restart quests to gain levels?

I know Act 3/4 are dangerous but I don't remember Act 1 nightmare being too bad...

Act 2 is definitely a step up but since Monk is so natural for me I'm still an arrogant sonofabitch and am willing to fight double packs when they're too close together and chase goblins into mini-bosses...

Almost died from lag at the entrance to Khasim Outpost  why so serious?

Thanks guys :)

I never restarted quests. I bargain hunted the AH by searching for Int/Vit items (All armor) and then sort by lowest buyout. I kept myself well-geared throughout, upgrading weapon quite often as well. As a WD, I went 1H and mojo, never even tried a shield. The only time I did any resets was at 59.5, I decided to just keep restarting the crater in Act 3 Hell as it seems like fairly safe excellent XP.

Importance of Vitality cannot be overstated. You do a lot more DPS alive than dead :)

Started Inferno last night with a friend, is a bit different after soloing basically the entire way to 60. We plowed through to a little bit before Skeleton king, where we hit a pack that we didn't want to fuck with and logged. Twin WD is pretty solid. I run Vision Quest build and he runs poison darts with mad CC. I need to pack on another 5k HP and maybe 30 resist all. Not bad though for just beating Hell. I'm sure I'll be RIPing soon!

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 19, 2012, 06:06:16 AM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:30 AM

Hey, I just killed HC Skelly :)

Tasty you still playing your barb? Hit me up.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:52 AM

My GF wanted to play, so she not only has the account, she has the authenticator too!

I might steal it back this weekend.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31:46 PM

Heartbreak

Died because I got cocky and used my pack killing build for Butcher. I didn't want to lose my 5 stacks. Greed is a killer, folks. RIP Snakebites, your deeds of valor will be remembered!

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:51 PM

ACK!

Rest in peace Snakebites! Still awesome work Slayer, I hope to emulate your success soon!
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:30 PM

Aww, shucks.

What got you? Did you hit the enrage timer?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:17 AM

No, overconfidence got me. I had a Prot shrine I coulda went and got, and I shoulda respecced. Or maybe regeared a bit more vitality.

So, anyone want to start a new HC with me? :)

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:25 AM

I like that there is a healing well highlighted. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:18 AM

For the record, the fire didn't actually get me, but cremated me after. His cone spike attack thingy was my death. A lot of my skills were actually on cooldown as well, took me a sec before screenshotting it.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #163 on: June 21, 2012, 08:50:32 AM

Aww, shucks.

Isn't his enrager having the whole floor light up?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 21, 2012, 09:15:09 AM

Aww, shucks.

Isn't his enrager having the whole floor light up?

Yup, I was running in to that problem yesterday (non-hardcore witchdoctor), kept getting him to <10% and then dying to the flames.  Had to trade off some health & defense for dps to beat it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 21, 2012, 05:01:51 PM

Ouch, bummer on the WD death - I think by Inferno you pretty much have to be optimizing for every remotely-dangerous-thing, NV stacks bedamned.

My monk is up to 40 and Act II Nightmare -- +157 xp per kill but I do occasionally get that 'hmm I might actually die here if I play stupidly' feeling, so will probably start swapping out for more sensible upgrades as I go.

Meanwhile my barbarian trails behind more or less 10 levels and continues to one-shot almost everything with his two-handed axe. He just killed Normal-Diablo.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:19 PM

I finally got back to my Barbarian last night, and then got him killed at level 29 in the Arreat crater. A pack of those big fat demons with the dual maces got me. They were elite, I forget what their affix was. Those things hit pretty hard when they're not elite, as it is. Enough mewling. R.I.P.

Started up a new one, got him killed at level 9. Not a huge surprise, since my non-HC barbarian's first death was around the same level. You don't have all of your defensive/mobility tools yet. Can't be reckless, and I was. Stood too long in the poison cloud from one of those walking trees.

Started up another one, did a few quests, decided not to push my luck, and quit for the night.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:41 PM

Barb will be my next one...Got my Wizard up to 35. Hopefully have em to 60 in a couple weeks.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 25, 2012, 05:45:21 PM

I finally got back to my Barbarian last night, and then got him killed at level 29 in the Arreat crater. A pack of those big fat demons with the dual maces got me. They were elite, I forget what their affix was. Those things hit pretty hard when they're not elite, as it is. Enough mewling. R.I.P.

Started up a new one, got him killed at level 9. Not a huge surprise, since my non-HC barbarian's first death was around the same level. You don't have all of your defensive/mobility tools yet. Can't be reckless, and I was. Stood too long in the poison cloud from one of those walking trees.

Started up another one, did a few quests, decided not to push my luck, and quit for the night.

Yep, my monk just hit level 30 and almost died several times due to hubris in the Arreat Crater. Those phasing big guys hit hard and Succubi sniping in the background. I think it's about time I look for some upgrades for my mental wellbeing... I do enough damage but my mitigation doesn't feel high enough so I'm playing a dangerous game of seeing if I can kill them before they kill me. I also have an incredibly bad habit of using ALL my cheapest potions before moving to the next grade...

ACK! awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:38 PM

wow.

Survived a client crash at 49, which fighting a Giant Golgor.
Survived an invisible Terror demon while fighting a champion fallen angel pack at 51 (Terror demons put up a 75% healing reduction debuff, they don't have much health but they can be very dangerous when you can actually see them).

It seems Diablo doesn't want my Barb to make it to 60.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:21:03 PM by Lightstalker »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 26, 2012, 06:56:24 AM

I might have some gearing laying around for your barb. I'll see what I got early to mid 50's, keep up the surviving...maybe we can meet up at 60 :)

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: June 26, 2012, 07:01:43 AM

If you upgrade your hardcore blacksmith and jeweler, do you lose their upgrades when a hardcore character dies?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 26, 2012, 07:04:35 AM

No. That and the stash remain. It's honestly pretty fun to have a crapload of gold and crafting stuff for your next character. I keep myself upgraded every 5 levels or so and plow everything in normal and nightmare so far. Things start getting a little sketchy in hell, and you really gotta start watching your ass.

For anyone starting a hardcore, use +exp gear. I have hammered through normal very quickly and even without exploring at all the +exp seems to keep me at or above the level I should be. Makes re-rolling way less painful, and a lot more fun. Also, red gem in the helm. If anyone needs a flawless square purple or red, hit me up. I figure at Belial I will swap helms to one with a purple gem, then go back to red for exp.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:09:45 AM by Slayerik »

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:07 AM

I've hit the +exp gear pretty hard and I hit level 52 before the cathedral at the start of Hell mode.  That seems pretty far ahead of my normal character playthrough and I'll probably hit 60 before I get to Act 2 Hell - I have a pretty safe run in.  I noticed my mitigation was a little underwhelming for Hell mode, so I'm running Act3 NM again to get some cash and make some upgrades.

I used the Frenzy-Smite trick on my nightmare Diablo kill and have moved to +Dodge runes and a 24% block shield full time so I was avoiding the damage from things like the Diablo cage-bite when I got lazy/didn't notice him starting that animation.  Yeah, I got lazy on my nightmare diablo kill and it wasn't even threatening despite that.  I'm right at the point where Cleave is starting to feel weak but Frenzy-Sidearm and Frenzy-Smite can't cope with groups of enemies.  If I had another ability slot I'd throw in a Fury dump like Seismic Slam to boost the AE damage.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:37 PM

Revenge is all of your moment to moment AE dmg, and if you need more AE for champ packs, then it's Wrath/Earthquake.

Once you hit the 30% Revenge rune, really, it'll be up all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hardcore Discussion/Graveyard  
Jump to: