Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Fists of Fury (Monk Thread) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fists of Fury (Monk Thread)  (Read 97389 times)
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:10 AM

Pages and pages and pages of 1mil+ weapons for level 60s, I'm sure most of them going unsold. Not much under that. I guess people would rather sit on their shitty prices than actually sell the weapons for 100-200k.

The market for 1 handed weapons really crashed over the weekend.  On Thursday 800+ dps weapons were selling for upwards of 500k, and last night you could buy one for 250k.  Weapons with desirable stats (attack speed %, life on hit for 500+) are still very expensive.  I want to try stacking life on hit as many inferno guides are suggesting right now, but I just can't afford it.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:19 AM

Inferno Act I, looking for Leoric's Mansion.

I'm 46k hp 5X% magic find 9.9k dps ->11.8 with the Breath of Heaven buff. 280ish resist all

Still can't fight some champion mobs solo...

I'm guessing I need to buy more expensive gear... geh.

What are your stats like Bhodi?

Your DPS is ok, and you have literally 20k more HP than me. You need resists. Are you using One with Everything? If not, it is generally considered mandatory. Take whatever money you have and split it between a couple items with BOTH All Resistance and another Resistance. You can generally get a total of 110-125 resistances on a single piece for 50k or less if you can live with it haveing shit/no other stats. This will increase your effective HP, but more importantly will give the awesome non gear scaling heals monks depend on from transcendence and breath of heaven more value.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WjYXgh!YXU!accbaa My build for reference. If you want WAY more survivability take deadly each with keen eye. I just prefer the extra damage on mangle and AOE on crippling wave.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:40 PM

Vit isn't very useful for surviving actually.   You need some to avoid getting 1 shot but that's it.   I do act 2 with only 30k.   It's a bit iffy vs elites that can do big spike damage but that's it.

Cheapest way to make monk easier:
1)  Get attack speed in roughly 3 slots.  You can do cheap blue rings/amulet/whatever.
2)  Buy any fist/sword with +attack speed and a socket.
3)  Make a +300 life on hit amethyst then put it in your weapon.
4)  Use resist passive to stack cheap resist gear.
5)  Use fist of thunder/thunderclap.

The important part is don't sweat the dps on your weapon so much.   Attack speed and life on hit are what's going to keep you alive.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 05:02:14 PM

Your DPS is ok, and you have literally 20k more HP than me. You need resists. Are you using One with Everything? If not, it is generally considered mandatory. Take whatever money you have and split it between a couple items with BOTH All Resistance and another Resistance. You can generally get a total of 110-125 resistances on a single piece for 50k or less if you can live with it haveing shit/no other stats. This will increase your effective HP, but more importantly will give the awesome non gear scaling heals monks depend on from transcendence and breath of heaven more value.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WjYXgh!YXU!accbaa My build for reference. If you want WAY more survivability take deadly each with keen eye. I just prefer the extra damage on mangle and AOE on crippling wave.

Yeah thanks alot for the advice guys!
I have got One with Everything but I didn't realise that you REALLY need to stack resistances so you want both Resist all AND Resist X, so I've been dumping my dex/vital/Resist for Dex/Resist/Resist gear now.

I replaced my rings with blue 53 attack speed and dex rings now, will look for that Attack Speed weapon with socket asap.

Also do you guys use a shield or dual wield to get the increased attacks per second?

I should be ready to get my Act 1 farm now with 36k hp, 464 resist and 11k dps... I hope...

Is it worth slow farming in Act 2 just for the better prefixes? I finished the Butcher solo last night...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:04:28 PM by Llyse »
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 11:02:15 PM

Dual wield here, though I have been thinking about trying a shield again just to see how it feels.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:17 AM

If you want to do act 2+ you need a shield unless you have some really good gear.   With life on hit you can easily plow through act 1 with dual wield though.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 06, 2012, 05:16:07 AM

But shields make me attack so slowwwwwww.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:57 PM

Monk update,

I"m on 30k hp, 13k dps and 740 resist now.

I spent about a 1mill on 2 really good armour pieces and am feeling a bit more useful in Act2.

There's still heaps of champions I'll skip, but overall it's a goodish balance between running like a screaming girl and jumping in and assassinating like a BAWSS

My build for reference is http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WTYXgk!TZU!aYcbaa
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 07, 2012, 03:01:31 PM

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 10, 2012, 05:21:02 PM

Weekly Monk Update:

Spent another 900k on two pieces. (Both were sniped bids on an awesome neck and a solid shield.

Because I'm not spending that much I'm trading hp for dps and resist.

25k hp 950 resists 16k dps unbuffed

I'm barely keeping up with the mobs in Act 2 but managed to solo kill Zoltan Kulle and would be in Act 3 I wasn't impatient against Belial or if my friends weren't retarded at dodging his fists and clouds.

It's painful but because I'm slowly progressing (albeit) because I'm buying upgrades it's still addictive as sh1te.

Although see my friend's new wizard rip in at 25k dps is depressing as a Monk but ah well, my Wizard isn't too far from 60...
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:11 AM

How are you guys dealing with spirit regen and healing in Inferno?   Currently I am runninng both the Transcendance passive for self heals and Chant of Resonance for the Spirit persecond simply because I have trouble standing toe to toe with most Elite packs long enough to generate enough spirit by hitting them to do anything usefull.  Granted, i am only in act 1, and my resists are not as high as i would like, but still, without Chant and Trancendance, half the time I simply wouldnt have enough spirit or life to do anything.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:13 AM

Before when I was running with 50k hp, I would tp back to Town for heals from the NPC.

Now with more resists and a smaller HP total though, pots, heals and health globes suffice.

I don't seem to burn enough spirit to make use of Transcendance. The other method is to stake Life on Hit.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:55 AM

How are you guys dealing with spirit regen and healing in Inferno?   Currently I am runninng both the Transcendance passive for self heals and Chant of Resonance for the Spirit persecond simply because I have trouble standing toe to toe with most Elite packs long enough to generate enough spirit by hitting them to do anything usefull.  Granted, i am only in act 1, and my resists are not as high as i would like, but still, without Chant and Trancendance, half the time I simply wouldnt have enough spirit or life to do anything.

tl;dr Don't use offensive spirit consuming abilities, they suck. Run away until blind or bubble is off cooldown then attack while you are invulnerable or the mobs can't hit you. Get more damage = profit.

For a while I used a Spirit Stone with spirit regen on it. Now it just comes down to management. None of the spirit using damaging attacks are worth putting on your bar. So you can keep yourself full of spirit until you need to use a defensive ability.  Extra attack speed helps a LOT as you receive a flat amount per hit, so more hits = more spirit. Just don't stack too much, they are nerfing attack speed soon. As long as you are only spending spirit on defensive abilities you should not have too much trouble really. With blind and the bubble only costing 10 spirit each as long as you can hit the mobs twice in the time you are bubbled or they are blinded you come out ahead. It sucks, but if you are getting whomped sometimes you just have to run away until blind or bubble are off cooldown and then attack. Try and get more DPS too, they faster the mobs die the less damage you take. Once you can kill packs in a bubble + blind it is super easy mode. I do about 18k dps buffed and run conviction aura with overawe in all acts now. While I can't tank as well I can with a defensive aura, the fact that packs die in a cooldown or two really makes up for it.

Edit: I have linked it a bunch of times. But my build for reference. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WjYXgk!XYU!accbaa
Is it a bit boring that you only get one button to attack with. Yes. But every class is basically in the same boat in inferno.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:51:05 AM by Ragnoros »

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:57 AM

Overall I agree about the spirit-based abilities, but I will put in a good word for lashing kick. While I rely on protection/blind as much as the next monk, I find a combination of Deadly Reach and Lashing Tail Kick to be extremely useful for both regular mobs and kiting difficult elite packs. I do most of my dps out of melee range -- or while the mobs are closing into melee range -- and use the Kick to clear mobs back out to maximum striking distance.

(My build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZYigk!XdU!bacbaa . I occasionally use the healing mantra + 20% resists rune, but it's hard to argue with 50% bonus damage on tap.)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 11, 2012, 03:32:04 AM

I occasionally use the healing mantra + 20% resists rune, but it's hard to argue with 50% bonus damage on tap.)

Yeah. As much as I would prefer to use Evasion with Hard Target it is just not optimal. In inferno the best defense is amazing gear. Failing that you want a good offense, and Conviction helps ensure that the mobs are dead before they get a chance to destroy you while your defenses are on cooldown. 10% dodge or whatever just isn't enough of a difference to cut it.

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 11, 2012, 10:43:19 AM

After struggling at the beginning of Act 2 for a long time, I switched to this build focused on tanking and heals:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bdgXjh!!Zbabca

and blew through Act 2 while dying only a few times to bad elite skill combos.  I sometimes substitute Sweeping Wind for Breath of Heaven, but the tank build is working better for me (and it's good in groups, at least with a dps who can keep themselves alive, sinceyou can't really tank in this game without cyclone strike.  I also have tried a variety of other mobility options -- there are situations in which Tempest Rush is very good, better than Dashing Strike, but not being able to move from Jailer is a really serious flaw.

Belial is easy with this build because you can survive a hit from the meteors and heal back up to full very quickly.  I'm now making progress in Act 3, but I haven't had much time to play in it yet.  My stats with buffs up are 10.5k armor, 750 resist all, 32k life, 15k dps, 2.5 attacks per second.  As somebody says above, high attack speed for extra spirit regen is really powerful and I'm not looking forward to the upcoming nerf.  I have found life per spirit spent to be a really useful mod, and the gear is relatively cheap -- you can get at least 30 on a helm and sky-high amounts on fist weapons.  Mantra spam is much better when you're healing for 5-7000 instead of 3000.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 11, 2012, 11:51:31 AM

What passives are you using? the build you linked does not include them.

Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:51 AM

What passives are you using? the build you linked does not include them.

Sorry, I left them out.  Transcendence, One With Everything, Seize the Initiative.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bdgXjh!YUX!Zbabca
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:32 PM

The teleporting fist attack gives you several seconds of damage immunity while it's doing damage, i think that's totally worth using.

I am the .00000001428%
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:14 PM

After struggling at the beginning of Act 2 for a long time, I switched to this build focused on tanking and heals:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bdgXjh!!Zbabca

and blew through Act 2 while dying only a few times to bad elite skill combos.  I sometimes substitute Sweeping Wind for Breath of Heaven, but the tank build is working better for me (and it's good in groups, at least with a dps who can keep themselves alive, sinceyou can't really tank in this game without cyclone strike.  I also have tried a variety of other mobility options -- there are situations in which Tempest Rush is very good, better than Dashing Strike, but not being able to move from Jailer is a really serious flaw.

Belial is easy with this build because you can survive a hit from the meteors and heal back up to full very quickly.  I'm now making progress in Act 3, but I haven't had much time to play in it yet.  My stats with buffs up are 10.5k armor, 750 resist all, 32k life, 15k dps, 2.5 attacks per second.  As somebody says above, high attack speed for extra spirit regen is really powerful and I'm not looking forward to the upcoming nerf.  I have found life per spirit spent to be a really useful mod, and the gear is relatively cheap -- you can get at least 30 on a helm and sky-high amounts on fist weapons.  Mantra spam is much better when you're healing for 5-7000 instead of 3000.

I have to add you on bnet, I'm about 1150 resist but I'm really hurting on the armour, attacks per second.

I'll try to find some life on spirit used. I'm 6k armour, 1150 resist 25k hp 1.8 attacks 16k dps

Ahhhhhhhh I need more gold...
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:41 PM

Monk Self Contemplation 3:

Hit Act 3 now after many trials of walking around green circles of Belial. Mantra of Healing was helpful in a Time of Need.

Bastion Keep is a dreary place filled with red robed dead. I must continue my search of the fabled Oranges.

Actual stats:

So I finally got past Belial without my friends and switching from Conviction/Overawe to Healing/Time of Need.

Act 3 is bloody tough and even though mob composition is better everything hurts. I did some reading and tinkering and switched

1. Resolve to Transcendence
2. Crippling Wave to Deadly Reach - Keen Eye
3. Conviction to Mantra of Evasion
4. SSS - Earth Ally

I finally realised why transcedence is good since you're spamming Mantra of Evasion to both heal and get additional armour.

Earth Ally is a godsend most of the time taking some heat of you as well and recasting it heals you and now I'm doing much better in Act 3 with no gear upgrades.

Not sure I can make millions of gold for new gear but at least there's still hope...
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 14, 2012, 01:03:54 AM

Hmm might have to try this 'heal on Spirit use' thing, have never really given it any serious consideration.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:27 AM

Hmm might have to try this 'heal on Spirit use' thing, have never really given it any serious consideration.

It's a lot better than I expected! Since my other skills all had a longish cooldown it didn't make sense to me but give it ago!  awesome, for real
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 14, 2012, 05:17:09 AM

One way to think about it, although in practice of course it doesn't quite work like this, is that (Life per spirit spent * 6 = Life on hit,) since you get 6 spirit per hit.  So Transcendence (which is worth around 60 life per spirit spent) is like having 360 life per hit, and a helm with 30 life per spirit spent has 180 effective life per hit.  Life per hit scales higher than life per spirit spent, so it'll be better in the long run, but life per spirit spent is cheaper to buy right now, plus there's no reason you can't get both.  If nothing else, it's a non-legendary way to get "life on hit" on a helm.

This is my own terrible theorycrafting, so please tell me why I'm wrong.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #94 on: June 14, 2012, 08:24:10 AM

The health per spirit spent items don't seem to scale up as high as our health pools do, I stopped using them somewhere in hell I think.  Unless you are using that one passive you only ever have 150 spirit so you would need a very high multiplier for it to provide noticable healing with 30,000 hp.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 14, 2012, 11:24:33 AM

The health per spirit spent items don't seem to scale up as high as our health pools do, I stopped using them somewhere in hell I think.  Unless you are using that one passive you only ever have 150 spirit so you would need a very high multiplier for it to provide noticable healing with 30,000 hp.

This was my feeling as well, but I don't think the 150 is a useful number, since as pointed out you are generating and spending spirit constantly throughout fights. In any case 150 * 60 is 9k, and an extra 9k of heals every fight isn't terrible. I'm not really sure it's better than a 25% damage debuff or 1.2k armour, though, as passives go.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: June 14, 2012, 08:38:34 PM

Is dual wielding actually worth it?  On my 34 Monk has 1.5 attacks per second with one 1 hander and 1.6 or so with two one handers.  It seems more beneficial to use a shield (for %block and %dodge coinciding) then to dual wield.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 14, 2012, 08:42:19 PM

Dual wielding seems to be the way to go in Inferno if you have the Life on Hit to support it.

But before Hell go with whatever you have fun with and the best weapon you have!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 14, 2012, 08:56:55 PM

The teleporting fist attack gives you several seconds of damage immunity while it's doing damage, i think that's totally worth using.

That rune also has a very useful feature in that the small aoe portion of the ability causes essentially a double proc of life on hit.    It also attacks faster than other attacks and has a very high life on hit coeff. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 15, 2012, 06:08:29 PM

The stupid all resist/resist thing is starting to become very limiting on my gear choices.  Which resist did you guys pick?

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 15, 2012, 11:26:54 PM

I dont think it really matters, since I dont believe any single resist would be more common then another (gear being totally random statted).

fire would prob be your best bet for a single stack one, as Desecrator / Molten / Mortar are all fire damage, and so is a number of boss abilities in each act.  Poison / Arcane / Frost / Lightning are much less common in bosses, and most other things for the infrequent times you might Not be running 1 with everything.

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:16 AM

I went poison mostly by chance as the first really good dex/vit/res/res item I got was poison.  Also Belial.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 16, 2012, 05:33:58 PM

Lightning happened to have the best gear for me available when I had to make a decision, but later I accidentally ended up with more cold and switched to that.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 16, 2012, 06:42:47 PM

I'm lightning and haven't had any major problems finding all/lightning resist
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 19, 2012, 01:02:32 AM

I've switched my build and gear with the upcoming IAS nerfs. I've gone to crit chance and Life per Spirit Spent. With a Tzo's Gaze 29.6 LPSS and my fist weapon at 47.1 and Transcendence at 62, I heal about 6650 life from spamming my mantra.

When I was looking for my current weapon I set it to: Life Per Spirit and and has Sockets. I think Life on Hit for weapons is a bit overpriced. I didn't think to add Spirit Regen at the time, but that can only help. You can add amethysts to make up for the life on hit. After 1.0.3, it may be possible to drop Transcendence and a shield and take up Guardian's Path or Sixth Sense, but you're going to need a solid set weapons to make up the difference.  Also, the mitigation from the dodge chance will probably not be the same as having a shield. However, it's all very dependent on the changes in 1.0.3  

Current Build:  http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aVgiYh!YXU!Ycacca

With this build, you don't want to knock mobs out of the range of sweeping wind. I like Essence Burn on Exploding Palm because of the ability to chain multiple explosions quickly. You could switch it to Scorpion Sting on Lashing Tail Kick, but in my opinion, the 50% chance of a short stun isn't that great. You would think Tempest Rush could be used to go through mobs and be used as a HoT, but I've had major problems with rubberbanding after some testing. Sweeping Wind, especially Cyclone, helps make up for the loss of DPS from IAS. I have no problems generating spirit but you could switch to inner storm if that's an issue.

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:33:32 AM by gimpyone »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Fists of Fury (Monk Thread)  
Jump to: