Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Purchase/Installation/Technical woes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purchase/Installation/Technical woes  (Read 49050 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:01 PM

IT BEGINS

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #141 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:46 PM

Also, even if you know exactly how many units you've sold digitally and how many boxes you sold into your retail channels, trying to figure out how those numbers map to the number of users that are going to be pushing the LOGIN button at midnight on launch day is non-trivial.  Assuming *all* of them will almost certainly means spending a massive amount on hardware you'll never use because you just never get that kind of concurrency, etc.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:59 PM

Game is not playable.  Epic fail from what I can see so far.  Not a huge amount of testing yet, but couldn't log in (got error) before work.  Left a bit early to get in some time before son's band concert after work and faced with queue ending in another error.  Doesn't matter if want to play a solo or multi game.  Can't play the game.

I think you're quoting my blog from WoW's launch. You're right. So was I. It will matter not one bit.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #143 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:03 PM

For those of you complaining about the server being down.

No one will give a fuck about launch day in 2 weeks. Your whining falls on deaf ears. Blizzard does not give a fuck. I'm sure they're bothered by their own technical ineptitude and marketing team for not being able to figure out how to deal with a launch rush - but they don't care about what random shitstains on websites have to say about what is one of the top 3 biggest game launches this decade.

Short version, shut the fuck up, we had a thread for complaining. It's gone now. Think of the server downtime as breathing time.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:18 PM

Given the number of much smaller launches that have gone so much worse, server stability-wise, I'm not particularly horrified. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #145 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:57 PM

Wasn't specifically talking to you.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #146 on: May 15, 2012, 03:25:25 PM

For those of you complaining about the server being down.

No one will give a fuck about launch day in 2 weeks. Your whining falls on deaf ears. Blizzard does not give a fuck. I'm sure they're bothered by their own technical ineptitude and marketing team for not being able to figure out how to deal with a launch rush - but they don't care about what random shitstains on websites have to say about what is one of the top 3 biggest game launches this decade.

Short version, shut the fuck up, we had a thread for complaining. It's gone now. Think of the server downtime as breathing time.

Hey don't discount my rage. They did this on purpose. You know why? It's Tuesday. You know what else happened on a Tuesday? Sept. 11, 2001. And Hitlers Birthday.

This is serious business.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #147 on: May 15, 2012, 03:28:35 PM

Hey don't discount my rage. They did this on purpose. You know why? It's Tuesday. You know what else happened on a Tuesday? Sept. 11, 2001. And Hitlers Birthday.

This is serious business.

Not even fucking around, just getting straight to the Godwin.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:21 PM

The CE is a well produced thing.

Really?

I wouldn't know because fucking UPS still hasn't delivered it to me even though it's been on the truck for 9 hours today.

I HATE UPS.

Yes, it certainly is. This is perhaps the finest CE I have ever bought. Blizzard outdid itself.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:59:45 PM by Xanthippe »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #149 on: May 15, 2012, 06:02:44 PM

Speaking of that negative press/marketing, I'll just leave this metacritic link here.

Always online-DRM and then no capcity to handle all pre-orders and known retail and digital sales? Buying a product you can't use. Last time I bought a Blizzard product or EA game.

why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:38 PM

I'm getting a blue screen of death after about 15 mins of play.  It's making me very crabby.  Every other game/program that I own runs flawlessly and all of my drivers are updated.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:42 PM

I'm getting a blue screen of death after about 15 mins of play.  It's making me very crabby.  Every other game/program that I own runs flawlessly and all of my drivers are updated.

I'm getting blue screen of death too...  never seen it before on my machine.  Also every few minutes my screen goes black and it feels like i lag out (the action continues however, i can't imagine playing HC like this).  Is anyone else experiencing this?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: May 15, 2012, 07:46:15 PM

Got in, played some.

I joined a friend who was already level 9 and just picked it up from there. I'm tired of playing the "You must be this level to play with your friends" bullshit. I played the beta some, so I didn't miss any story (lol) but I'm worried that drop in-drop out is going to cause some of our group to be ahead/behind each other, and fuck up the difficulty. Did that make any sense?

And yes, other companies dream of having Bilzzard's launch issues. "Too many people bought our game!"  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #153 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:37 PM

Chat seems to have gone out this evening.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #154 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:36 PM

One computer in the house here can't log in. The other one seems fine.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #155 on: May 15, 2012, 08:44:24 PM

And down they go again. I think I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:31 PM

I installed, got in and got Boomshaka the Witch Doctor to level 9. Then I left the game, looked at the auction house, and then couldn't join a game, so I exited and restarted.

Now I can't get back in. I guess the servers are hammered.

So fun.
schild
Administrator

Reply #157 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:56 PM

B.net is down.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:04 PM

Chat seems to have gone out this evening.

What determines who and how many are on your particular gen. chat btw?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:44 PM

The bottom line is that no matter what you think, it's just not fiscally reasonable to buy enough bandwidth for a launch of this scale.  We're talking an added cost in the multiple tens of millions.  No self-respecting bean counter would ever authorize that.  I wouldn't.  And I'm not even a bean counter.

If you bought this game, and you can't log in, it sucks.  But if you didn't expect this, you should have.  It's not a single player game.  Don't even start.

(This reply is not directed to anyone in particular.)

AKA Gyoza
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:13 PM

I love the game.  Got to play it after installation and got to level two of leoric's dungeon....then disconnect.. then error 37 followed by error 3003.

Heartbreak

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:54 PM

Well, if the game is still down by the time I finish this glass of wine, it's bedtime for me.

When I wake up with hot flashes at 2am, I can get up and play again.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:19 PM

Hmmm, loving the game so far but this always on internet stuff is bullshit.  I know its their attempt at anti piracy (which almost always just ends up pissing off your paying customers) but fuck this shit.  I want to play when I want, not when their server lets me.  I know I'll be playing this for the next few months at least but it might be the last single player game I buy that requires you to have it connected to the internet.  Anyway, game is awesome otherwise. Heart
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

So far I'm happy and entertained despite some minor graphical glitches I've experienced.  I'm just considering the servers crashing as it being time for me to go to bed, otherwise I'd play all night and that's bad since I get up at 5AM.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #164 on: May 15, 2012, 08:59:28 PM

The bottom line is that no matter what you think, it's just not fiscally reasonable to buy enough bandwidth for a launch of this scale.  We're talking an added cost in the multiple tens of millions.  No self-respecting bean counter would ever authorize that.  I wouldn't.  And I'm not even a bean counter.

If you bought this game, and you can't log in, it sucks.  But if you didn't expect this, you should have.  It's not a single player game.  Don't even start.

(This reply is not directed to anyone in particular.)

Ahahaha.

You're cute.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #165 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:24 PM

I don't think this was a purely bean-counter issue. But we can be Usefully Apologetic too!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:07 PM

Aaaaand now the forums are also down.

Wine's almost gone.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: May 15, 2012, 09:26:28 PM

I think I'm going to qualify this as a rough launch.  I wonder if the "Americas" server cluster is under much higher load, has some specific-to-it technical problem(s), or what -- as these more severe outages don't seem to be hitting the other two regions?
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #168 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqUZkmO-zk

Hehehe. It's a parody. Still funny.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:03 AM

I think I'm going to qualify this as a rough launch.  I wonder if the "Americas" server cluster is under much higher load, has some specific-to-it technical problem(s), or what -- as these more severe outages don't seem to be hitting the other two regions?

From Sydney, I get a better ping to the Euro servers than I do to the US/Asia ones - about 200ms difference.

That's at Aussie PM - whatever that works out in relation to US time.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:14 AM

Found this

Pretty much sums up release :)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: May 16, 2012, 02:34:29 AM

So bought it yesterday (yes I am weak, everybody was raving how awesome it is, I am just a human after all). I made a nice Barbarian, but then couldn't play all evening thanks to a untimely update and logon problems afterwards.

It was clear beforehand that Online-only singleplayer was a bad idea because connectivity issues on the client side stop you from playing the game. I never would have thought there would be Problems on Blizzards side as well. This makes this Online bullshit even worse.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #172 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:12 AM

I wondered this myself.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:27 AM

Well, my technical difficulties yesterday were on the Euro servers.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: May 16, 2012, 03:34:31 AM

So this evening from 10pm to midnight, a friend and I rolled characters on the Euro servers (I tried Barbarian, kinda fun!) and ran through lv1-10 and the skeleton king fight.  By midnight, the Americas servers were back online and we jumped into a game with Furiously and another friend of mine over there.  Rolling up an alt in one of the other regions seems like a nice contingency plan.  I didn't fine any real performance issues with playing against the Euro servers.

Also: difficulty definitely seems to ramp up in the back half of Act I, and Act II at the start feels nicely less forgiving.  Yay.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Purchase/Installation/Technical woes  
Jump to: