Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 316330 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12:42 AM

I'm getting some mixed signals from that AMA. I like that they actually have a high-level figure facing tough questions, but it reads that they're actually trying to please the GW1 players / anti-powercreep people and the DIKU grinders at the same time? Because if so, then uhhhh... good luck.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: November 27, 2012, 12:18:12 PM

What about the casuals  huh
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: November 27, 2012, 02:58:21 PM

Is there some legal reason why they can't admit this?

I think it's known as the NGE rule  why so serious?

In other news they released makeover kits in the gem store.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: November 27, 2012, 04:02:16 PM

Synposis from Guild Wars Insider. Much easier on the eyes. Apparently this AMA was some 10 hour epic. I tried following along, but it reminded me of Twitter, and I dumped that nonsense months ago. Nothing I do requires anything like the realtime of micronews pace  Ohhhhh, I see.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1054 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:19 PM

Please understand that we see the community as a ‘whole’ and therefore are not intending to design again for one specific type of player over another. This is a misconception and one that is not promoted by the team. We will continue to develop the game for the community as a whole offering game play that caters to lots of different types of players in a unified approach that will evolve over time based on feedback and the direction the team as a whole wants to take.

This will end well.

Saying that you design everything you do with minimal grind is obviously very subjective. 1800+ FoTM tokens or 250 T6 materials/50 Globs of Ectoplasm for 1 piece of equipment is a huge grind (in my humble opinion, of course).

Hi Lothair,
Progression through tokens and mats is something we are having a good look at currently. Please keep the feedback coming as we move forward.

Nananaannanaana I can't hear you~  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:11 PM

The whole AMA was a bunch of non-commital after the apology for how Ascended was communicated.

I don't get the sense they have the resources now to handle some of the deeper issues, and yet also don't have the freedom to deviate from the Halloween>Karka>Holiday content script that was ordained during the heady days of development. Maybe they're holding their breath to see how holiday sales go, though I can't imagine a huge influx from that. MMOs are not exactly stocking stuffers.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: December 01, 2012, 07:10:41 PM

Adventuring in Orr. The AoE debuff fields around skill points (which events path through), the ridiculous number of AoE effects and mob pull powers, plus the high mob density and grey / undead theme makes it not particularly fun. Indeed more towards just being annoying. An increasing number of the events also seem to be tuned for groups and the population isn't really there for that.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: December 02, 2012, 02:38:55 AM

My perception is that there were spots in the lower level zones that just didn't seem fun to solo. That seems to apply to the entirety of the higher level zones.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:24 AM

Maybe they were trying to make Orr an environment puzzle with all of the box canyons, elevations, etc.  I got tired of battling thru groups of undead, some of them veteran, just to discover a location. 
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1059 on: December 02, 2012, 05:33:55 AM

Got my necro to 16 and he did not seem like a good fit for me.  Rolled a ranger- MUCH better!  Level 11 and having fun.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:25 AM

I want to like the necro, but it does feel a little bit half-baked to me as well.

- Simond
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:00 AM

Shit traits, mostly pvp situational skills, mostly condition-based damage attacks = shit PVE experience. You're basically meant to outlast the PVE stuff you're attacking.
And half shit pet AIs that made party curse and swear at you in dungeons for aggroing crap.

One look at this class and I didn't even spare 10 levels on it. Deleted and replaced with a mule.

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:15 AM

Cheddar's pink name makes me want to mouse over and see how much agony resist he has.
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:13 AM

Shit traits, mostly pvp situational skills, mostly condition-based damage attacks = shit PVE experience. You're basically meant to outlast the PVE stuff you're attacking.
And half shit pet AIs that made party curse and swear at you in dungeons for aggroing crap.

One look at this class and I didn't even spare 10 levels on it. Deleted and replaced with a mule.

I never had a problem grouping with necros in dungeons.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: December 02, 2012, 12:57:00 PM

Well/Mark Necros are pretty awesome in every situation. I just don't find them fun personally. Pets are worthless, and a decent chunk of your damage is oddly from your crit line's end trait that increases your damage per debuff on the target.

As for Orr, I think I'm one of the only people who actually likes running around in Orr. But it is a pain if you want to actually get somewhere specific and have to run through every snaring, rooting, pulling and chilling mob in the game.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:45 PM

I got tired of this a lot quicker than i expected.  There is just nothing to do other than massive grinds for cosmetic items, well i already like how my character looks so i see very little point in that.  The world PvP is basically a week long battleground, and usually decided on day 1.  I like the game a lot as far as the gameplay goes, I just can't find anything worthwhile to do to make me log in.

I am the .00000001428%
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:44 PM

I use dagger/dagger with my necro and a staff for those times that melee won't cut it. Completely ignore the pets other then a flesh golem and that I only use sporadically. Testing in the Mist on the golems and those mobs by the golems it's similar melee dps to my warrior and actually kills groups of mobs considerably faster when my wells are up. Plus with self heals/taps and death shroud it's much more survivable. Plus as a bonus the staff is a better ranged weapon imo then anything ranged the warrior gets. My necro also does way better solo then my warrior in places like cursed shore etc. I know it's certainly not for everyone but It's been by far my favorite class and it is definitely capable of putting out good dps. So you know what I am comparing, both my warrior and necro are 80 in all exotic weapons/armor with green jewelry and I have tried various specs and runes with them both while in the Mists.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:08 AM

Yeah maybe for high end necros, but I just felt the warrior strongest point is the accessibility to damage and survivability throughout the solo PVE game.
Since the karma jug reward, there's no reason not to just spend it freely on heart vendors for upgrades either.
Every time I hit the right gear level upgrades, with lots of passive traits, warriors just blow past PVE solo content without any regards to risk involved.

As my comment for conditions sucking ... it's when you have a lot of condition specced party members you start to get capped cond. stacks and not dealing any damage from condition anymore while Warriors continue shouting and giving fury to everyone while putting out ridiculous amount of raw damage.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:12 AM

My perception is that there were spots in the lower level zones that just didn't seem fun to solo. That seems to apply to the entirety of the higher level zones.
I find Orr "soloing" to require DEs. That's ok, because I like them. But it's different from the traditional MMO idea of soloing. With DEs, you're linking up with other people, but just by being near them and doing your own thing, all of the outdoor content is largely doable. The only ones that require any type of coordination are Lyssa (capturing points, holding the center), Grenth (making sure people understand shades and the stairs) and Balth (first to coordinate WPs and then making sure everyone in the zone gets to Balth). Otherwise, it's easy to just farm DEs, particularly the Shelter's Gate/Jofast run while you wait for someone to announce a a Melandru or Meddler's/Arah run (or more rarely, a Grenth one).
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:42 AM

Yeah maybe for high end necros, but I just felt the warrior strongest point is the accessibility to damage and survivability throughout the solo PVE game.
Since the karma jug reward, there's no reason not to just spend it freely on heart vendors for upgrades either.
Every time I hit the right gear level upgrades, with lots of passive traits, warriors just blow past PVE solo content without any regards to risk involved.

As my comment for conditions sucking ... it's when you have a lot of condition specced party members you start to get capped cond. stacks and not dealing any damage from condition anymore while Warriors continue shouting and giving fury to everyone while putting out ridiculous amount of raw damage.

You're going to wind up unhappy if you compare any class to warriors right now. Warriors are a bit silly and can burn through anything. I do agree that condition specs are best if you're with a relatively set group due to the stack limitations on bleed (and everyone and their dog being able to put up 6-9 stacks by themselves), but power spec necros aren't bad. They just distressingly spend a lot of time in their boring class form spamming 1.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1070 on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:10 PM

Was about to hang up my Necro and finish leveling my elem or thief when a friend hooked me on this guys vids.  Meh will edit this on PCM f this phone

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:16 PM

i wonder how u guys level a thief. i played like 5 lvls of it before turning him into a mule.
The spamming same attack (attack, as in, ONE attack) in PVE got old quick.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:21 PM

I thought you quit?

Thief is fun, but most of the powers focus on mobility and looking cool. Though dual daggers is pretty active in terms of managing your resources. And shortbow is good value if you can pull two mobs.

- Simond
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: December 04, 2012, 07:01:46 AM

I'm messing around with a few alts right now, got a Thief to 27 (thanks to 400 leatherworking), Engineer to 14 and Necro to 16 - by FAR my favorite has been my Necro.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:29 AM

Was about to hang up my Necro and finish leveling my elem or thief when a friend hooked me on this guys vids.  Meh will edit this on PCM f this phone

Waiting...

Seriously, though. Been getting bored with my Mesmer as of late and was looking for something new. Started up a Necro but no real clue what to do with it. So, ya, interested...
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: December 04, 2012, 07:16:08 AM

Necro is underrated.  I wrote this for my guild forums, might be some useful info in there:

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:08 PM

Nice write up on the necro. Just an fyi when using siphon life with your dagger, you can move around and not break the casting.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1077 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22:46 PM

Level 20 something on my ranger now and having a blast.  He is just fun!

Charr starting area blows.  Otherwise have had a grand old time- especially with Maw runs!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: December 04, 2012, 04:14:24 PM

The initial charr starting area is under-whelming, But the larger zones I found quite fun, there's some good events and lovely scenery to be had.

- Simond
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:20 AM

I'm leveling a necro atm, im a completionist so tend to be ahead in levels for the zone (and joining the morning wvw xp train once or twice on her helped /cough).
Up to lvl... 15-20 or so, i felt my necro was incredibly weak, but now at 37 stuff drops so fast, it's insane.
I'm also surprised at how much i love the Asura, I'm not usually into small cutesy races o.O

My Charr Ranger jsut got her flowery bow (which doesn't fit her even remotely since i have Arah armor, full of skulls and bone detail, and use muted colours :p), contemplating whether to go for another legendary or not, will take a while to get started though, still owe a friend 50g...
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: December 05, 2012, 06:42:56 AM

I have a level 80 Thief, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer and am currently leveling a Guardian(now at level 40).  I can do things on my Guardian I couldnt do on any other class so far.  By far highest survivability and DPS is certainly decent enough.  I can take out 6-10 mobs of same level and not go below 75% HP.  Veterans are a joke at same level or slightly above and Ive solod 2 champion mobs so far.  Also not a 1 button class, takes some getting used to in order to properly manage the boons, heals, etc.  I have a feeling this will be the class I will stick with.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:20 AM

On my support-spec staff elementalist I could solo wvw supply camps even if they were reinforced by ogres or hyleks (never tried fighting a dredge-reinforced camp, because fuck you blind immunity), which was pretty neat. A single misstep (or an enemy player looking at me disapprovingly) and I was dead, but that's to be expected I guess.

NB: this was before the Evasive Arcana nerf. Never forget, etc. /pours out a 40

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:37 AM

Nice write up on the necro. Just an fyi when using siphon life with your dagger, you can move around and not break the casting.

Huh...not sure how I missed that.  Maybe I got interrupted a few times early on and thought it was because I moved  Facepalm
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:19 AM

On my support-spec staff elementalist I could solo wvw supply camps even if they were reinforced by ogres or hyleks (never tried fighting a dredge-reinforced camp, because fuck you blind immunity), which was pretty neat. A single misstep (or an enemy player looking at me disapprovingly) and I was dead, but that's to be expected I guess.

NB: this was before the Evasive Arcana nerf. Never forget, etc. /pours out a 40

D/D ele is the way to go.  I can be sloppy and still take out supply camps.  Tight, and you can take down all the npc's there in a minute.  

D/D ele is probably the hardest, most active class to play, but done right, can beat or stalemate any other class.  Also, fastest traveling class in the game.  Loving it.

Additionally, warriors are a joke to fight.  I was running to a tower, and this GS warrior was behind me, but I didn't feel like blowing rtl or skills.  She kept on, so I turned around on her and taught her not to chase D/D eles.  Hammer warriors can be annoying, but their skills are so slow and telling.  GS warriors are laughable.  if a D/D ele really wants to run from you, good luck.  The mobility is incredible.

Only classes I have issues with are tanky/healy builds like other dagger eles, guardians and some necros and not being able to put enough damage on them if I don't time interrupts right.  Thieves are usually cake, unless they're a high-stealth build, but they can't run from me, but if they stealth enough, they can stay in one place and be untouchable.  If I get bored, then I always have the option to scoot, which most other classes don't.  We make great scouts as well, as zergs can't catch us; also great bait if you want to split or string out a zerg.  

Excala is probably the best D/D ele I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:19:40 AM by sachiel »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: December 05, 2012, 10:26:41 AM

Yar, I use daggers now... my staff phase was a while ago, still in green gear too.  In WVW I only use the staff for keeps now (both defense and offense), otherwise it's All Dagger, All The Time.

That said, I still bust out the staff a lot in dungeons/fractals since that 1200 range + ability-to-keep-party-members-standing-in-fire-alive is so sweet.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions  
Jump to: