Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  (Read 409572 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: April 17, 2012, 11:26:05 AM

Get in on the latest craze before the first high-profile dev takes the money and runs or produces a complete pile of shit!

In case you somehow had no idea what Kickstarter is:
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every week, tens of thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields.

A new form of commerce and patronage. This is not about investment or lending. Project creators keep 100% ownership and control over their work. Instead, they offer products and experiences that are unique to each project.

All or nothing funding. On Kickstarter, a project must reach its funding goal before time runs out or no money changes hands. Why? It protects everyone involved. Creators aren’t expected to develop their project without necessary funds, and it allows anyone to test concepts without risk.

After Doublefine started a ridiculously successful project that raised about $3.3 million, a flood of video game projects have shown up hoping to get some of that filthy small-donation lucre to produce a game without some monolithic publisher lodged up their ass asking them why their game isn't another CoD. Or because no publisher would touch it. Either or.

Some projects of note that have not ended (mostly because of the licenses/names attached, not because of perceived awesomeness/quality):

The Banner Saga - Status: Funded, ends on 4/20 (whoaaaa): Former Bioware members come together to make a hand-animated side-perspective role-playing turn-based strategy thing. Jesus.

Shadowrun Returns - Status: Funded, ends on 4/29: Jordan Weisman, the original creator of Shadowrun has managed to get his own IP licensed back to him to make a new 2D Shadowrun game that pays homage to the SNES/Genesis versions.

Leisure Suit Larry Returns - Status: Funded, Ends on 5/4: Al Lowe, also the original owner/writer of his own series has the license and wants to remake the original game on more than just iOS like he planned.

Post any kickstarters that tickle your fancy. I put this in general since there's plenty of cool/interesting NON game related projects.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:51:29 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:28:05 AM

The board game and product design areas are almost universally more exciting than the video game ones.

In addition, they deliver more often. I've yet to get anything of value from any of the video game related ones. Hell, still waiting for the fucking Venus Patrol to launch.

Meh.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29:41 AM

Here's one for you:

MTG: The Musical - Status: Now Funded!, ends on 5/15: ...it's an MTG musical, with puppets. I don't even know what the fuck, but hey.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:56:39 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:40 AM

There have been a few projects on here which I felt might be worth my money, but I can't shake the feeling that it is a bad idea.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:40 AM

There have been a few projects on here which I felt might be worth my money, but I can't shake the feeling that it is a bad idea.
Note, if you missed it, the project does NOT get anything if they fail to meet their fundraising. No money changes hands until the time runs out and the checks clear.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:45:08 AM

Projects I have noticed or donated to because I am a sucker:

Takedown - Status: Funded, Over: A mess of people from Bungie, Monolith, etc. etc. including original Rainbow Six devs want to make a "strategic" FPS like the original Rainbow Six and SWAT games.

Grim Dawn - Status: Funded, ends on 5/18: Yep, the former Iron Lore guys (Titan Quest) are now asking for money to finish their long suffering post-apocalyptic/gothic ARPG.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:15:47 PM by Fabricated »

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:50 AM

I've (well, the wife) donated to this one and I know Spirit of the Century has gotten some love on the board before, so this may be of interest to folks -

Dinocalypse Now - Status: Funded, 5 days left: This is our first fiction project at Evil Hat. We’ve published pen & paper roleplaying games before, and now we’ve set our sights on expanding into other media.

For our starting point, we’re diving into the wild and wooly world of our in-house 1930s-era pulp adventure setting called Spirit of the Century.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:07:07 PM

There have been (and are) some very, very good games being produced on Kickstarter.  I think I would avoid video games, particularly MMOs.   awesome, for real
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:14 PM

Zombies, RUN! - Status: Funded, Over: In modern-day man's efforts to blend exercising with gaming, Zombies, RUN hopes to provide you with entertainment by making you believe to be on the run by zombies, as you go out to find food/supplies for your base camp.

It's out now for iOS, Android in the next month or so.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:09 PM

Now that I'm back home on my computer:

Things I've Already Backed (and Why) - in no particular order:

Dice Age: I hate completely random games, but I love dice. I will probably find alternative uses for these, like including one in every game I own to decide who plays first. I have not yet received this.

Pen Type-A: I needed a new pen. Hi-Tec-Cs happen to be my favorite mass made pen. Best of both worlds. Gorgeous and functional. I have not yet received this.

Glory to Rome - Black Box Edition: I've heard amazing things about the game. Unfortunately the only thing good about the company is the new graphic designer and the DESIGNS of the lead designer. The company is run worse than nearly any I've ever encountered (the worst has yet to come), and they do NOT have their shit together. They don't know how to interface with consumers, and remakes of good games of theirs with this sort of art are probably the only way they'll ever get a dime from me. I have not yet received this.

Lyssan: I'm a big fan of medium to heavy board games that support 2 players out of the box with no major futzing around with rules. Lyssan does that and I'm excited about it. I have not yet received this.

The MagBar: I only bought this because I got in super cheap. I will probably never receive it. This is a case of the guy running a campaign totally fucking it up. Whatever, it's the gamble you take. I have obviously not received it.

Eaten by Zombies: Man, Mayday Games is fucking awful. Don't support their shit. They do not have it together, most of their games are shit. Just fucking awful across the board. They are my least favorite games publisher - even moreso than Games Workshop. At least GW has high production values. These folks have the quality control of a Greek Financial Institution. On the flip side, I've gotten the 3 things I've ordered from them (third time was the last straw, obviously). I will not be giving them money again, neither should you. I have received this.

Dig: The Card Game: Cute little game with some neat ideas with nearly no production value. Not the best thing ever, not the worst. Probably just about worth the money. I have received this.

Americana Playing Cards: Needed playing cards. There are playing cards on KS all the time. These were my favorite ones that had popped up thus far. Stoked. They should be arriving in a few weeks. I have not yet received this.

Star Command iOS: Game Dev Story meets Star Trek. Whatevs. I put money into it. There was just a news story about them not guessing how much money they needed. Game will likely be out this fall. I'm half excited. Mostly because the bar for quality has gone up on mobile since it was announced. As a side-note, the developer of this project messaged me after I'd backed this - apparently he was/is a fan of f13. That was neat. It's happened two times since. I have not yet received this.

Miskatonic School for Girls: Deck-building game Sitting on my Shelf that I haven't played #1,732. Seriously though, I bought this because of the theme. Everyone has said it's shit. Don't care, art is awesome. Box is awesome. I have received this.

Venus Patrol: Snotty, high-brow bullshit gaming site. I gave them money because the dude is in Austin and one of my friends said he deserved it. Still hasn't launched. Don't really care all that much about the outcome. I think I have a neat shirt or some shit coming from them though. This has not yet launched.

Creatures!: Loved the idea of this little card game. Still do. Unfortunately, Cryptozoic just came out with a version 9,000,000x cooler called Epic Spell Warz something something Super Fight Fist Punch Dragon Death Poison Snake Cocks or something. Anyway, buy the Cryptozoic game. I have received this.

Exile Sun: Space combat game! Recently did a second kickstarter to support the final goal which was actual space ship miniatures. It was successful. I'm stoked. I have not yet received this.

Terra Evolution: This was published by those chucklefuck bastards over at Mayday. They fucked up all sorts of things on this, BUT they did not design the game. I haven't played it but it looks fun. They didn't even do anything with it other than have a fucking caveman pack it and fuck up half the boxes. They had to ship me an extra copy because my numbered copy was all fucked up. Whatever, I'll play it, I'll probably like it. I hate Mayday. They don't deserve to continue operating in the board game publishing arena. They can't even get sleeves right. I have received this.

D-Day Dice: If you've heard of any Kickstarter board games, it's probably this one. It was a runaway success with amazing extras - so much so that I actually put money into it despite fucking hating dice-based games. The entire thing was run like a tight ship and I don't see them fucking up a single thing. If you're looking at putting something on Kickstarter - this is the project you need to look at. Fucking seriously. I have not yet received this.

Zong Shi: A fantastic little worker placement game that I backed early. Thing got delivered faster than anything that had to be produced post the Kickstarter. It was run well, extras were a little dry, but I'm looking forward to more from these dudes. Keith Blume II has his shit together. I have received this.

Omen: Reign of War: I gave these dudes a lot of money. Small Box Games makes very few copies of their shit. Omen showed up with fixes and a ton more cards and I couldn't help myself. Their initial goal was high, but they did a great job reaching it. After the funding ended, they actually offered backers a copy of ANOTHER reprint of theirs at like 30% off retail. They did a great job on Kickstarter and I'll likely be getting my copy soon. Also, I had a lot of back and forth via PM with them during the campaign due to my backing level and they were great to work with. Another company I would blindly support should they do it again. I have not yet received this.

CPU Wars Volume 1.0: I'll never play this dumb game, but I wanted a copy just for high quality pictures of CPUs that came out during my lifetime. Whatever, I haven't even opened it. The mailing list is fucking annoying though as it's for people to chat. Mark as spam. The guy who ran it did a great job with communication and such though.I have received this.

Realm Coins: These came in super fast and are of super high quality and I use them for money in any game with paper money. Lords of Waterdeep comes to mind. This shit is just great. And cheap! I have received this.

Skittykitts!: Cute little card game, the 200% goal was hit and he sent everyone two decks. I haven't played it but it actually does look fun for such a tight little package. Came in super fast. I have received this.

Agents of S.M.E.R.S.H.: I like Tales of Arabian Nights. This is that, only in like a Bond-esque 70s world. Spies and shit. Dig it. Can't wait for it to come in. They did a great job with the campaign also - another one to look at like D-Day Dice. I have not yet received this.

On the horizon, there's only two games I'm looking forward to:
OGRE - I mean, come on. It's fucking Ogre. I haven't played this in YEARS. I'm stoked.

Tammany Hall - Not yet on Kickstarter, Pandasaurus somehow got the fucking rights to this bitch. I can't wait. Looks like it's going to start May 1st. Huzzah.

I do not back things on other Kickstarter-like sites. Indiegogo can eat my ass.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:47 PM

PFt, Kickstarter is old news.  The new hotness is buying a piece of the company thanks to the JOBS act. 

That's where all the real, hardcore fraud is going to happen.

I continue to try and figure out a good project to get funded myself.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:03 PM

Here is an idea.  Take Railways of the <insert region here> and make a derivative version about shipping instead.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:46 PM

Here is an idea.  Take Railways of the <insert region here> and make a derivative version about shipping instead.
This is either a joke or you don't know it's been done to death and continues being done to death.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:32:04 PM

Some projects I'm backing that haven't closed yet:

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android - Set the record for most backing received and it still has 31 days to go.

Sonastand - A tiny stand for the iPhone 4(s) that supposedly makes the sound out of the speaker better. Video doesn't really demonstrate that so it's sort of a crap shoot. Worse case it's just cool little (expensive) stand. Ends in 64 hours.

RoboGames 2012 documentary - Probably not going to get funded as it's ending in 18 hours and it has a long way to go relatively speaking but I used to love to watch those robot battles so I figured I'd show them some support.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:57 PM

Some of those boardgame ones really interest me, I just don't have the money though to back $50-$100 per game for a pre-order I may or may not ever see.

I worry less about video games that I can back for $10 maybe $15 for a digital copy.

I am going to create a food category Kickstarter for my wife's bakery this week though.  Figure if it goes, yay, if it doesn't, so what.  Ohhhhh, I see.  (re-reading that I thought I better elaborate that it is a real idea she wants to try at her bakery, and something she will actually do if she raised enough.  Kinda came across as was just going to make a fake one to try and get some quick cash, heh.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:50:49 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:54 PM

OGRE - I mean, come on. It's fucking Ogre. I haven't played this in YEARS. I'm stoked.
Fuck me. I'm old enough to have played the original as a kid and played most of the Metagaming microgames of that era. I even won a Melee tournament at a convention once awesome, for real
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 08:17:55 PM

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android - Set the record for most backing received and it still has 31 days to go.

Wholly crap, $3.98M when they originally wanted $100k? Watch looks awesome though, but with that kinda cash why wouldn't they just walk?

This is the only one I've "invested" in: P1 by Premier Pen (Funded), which is a machined case for the Pilot Hi-Tec-C / G-Tec pen insert.

- Viin
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:30 PM

Fuck me. I'm old enough to have played the original as a kid and played most of the Metagaming microgames of that era. I even won a Melee tournament at a convention once awesome, for real

If I pay enough does it come in a series of tiny plastic boxes?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:03:15 AM

This is either a joke or you don't know it's been done to death and continues being done to death.

I didn't know it has been done to death.  I just discovered the Railways games this year.

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:12:44 AM

I have pretty much only funded video games thus far (Wasteland 2, Double Fine, FTL, Banner Saga, Valdis Story, Shadow Run, Grim Dawn) with the exception of Foldable.Me as a cute present for nieces/nephews/Asian Friend.  I am hoping Grim Dawn takes off a bit better (even though still early) as it looks like the game that has the best chance to see the light of day and I loved Titan Quest.  I was tempted at Leisure Suit Larry, but they are just remaking the original by the looks of it - which I believe has already been done at least once.

There are some pretty bizarre projects on Kickstarter, such as "Help Us Build a Zeppelin"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:35:00 AM

I've only funded Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun because they were both dear childhood games to me and I'd like to see modern takes on them.  Short of another Wizardry, I don't think there is much else I would help with.

Come to think of it though, the original Lum subs were released in a similar fashion.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:29 AM

Funny- I was looking for a thread about this earlier in the week, then got distracted and never started it. I can't even remember where I got linked to the Shadowrun game (Twitter maybe), but I was in on the first leg of financing. I love the world, and hope this leads to bigger and better things. I have seen some pretty cool product design ideas there as well, but haven't invested in anything else yet.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:18 AM

Yeah, I threw in for the 2 boxes of Ogre.  It's going to be awesome.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:41 PM

I have pretty much only funded video games thus far (Wasteland 2, Double Fine, FTL, Banner Saga, Valdis Story, Shadow Run, Grim Dawn) with the exception of Foldable.Me as a cute present for nieces/nephews/Asian Friend.  I am hoping Grim Dawn takes off a bit better (even though still early) as it looks like the game that has the best chance to see the light of day and I loved Titan Quest.  I was tempted at Leisure Suit Larry, but they are just remaking the original by the looks of it - which I believe has already been done at least once.

There are some pretty bizarre projects on Kickstarter, such as "Help Us Build a Zeppelin"
I may kick into Grim Dawn just because the game is pretty much done; they're just being pretty honest and saying, "Yeah, we didn't get any artists or UI designers and both suck. We'd like to fix that."

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 12:52:32 PM

I may kick into Grim Dawn just because the game is pretty much done; they're just being pretty honest and saying, "Yeah, we didn't get any artists or UI designers and both suck. We'd like to fix that."

They actually gave quite a long update on why they need the money and the status of the project:
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:11 PM

Kickstart the exploitation of the Congo.... What can go wrong?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817864170/new-species-expedition-to-congo

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 06:39:04 AM

I eagerly await the Brad McQuaid comeback on Kickstarter.  That will mark the day Kickstarter started to die.

On reading that it makes me sound like I want KS to die.  I don't.  I love the idea.  But it will die in a glorious, flaming fraud bonfire.

I have never played WoW.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 07:58:33 AM

Grim Dawn - Status: Not Funded, ends on 5/18: Yep, the former Iron Lore guys (Titan Quest) are now asking for money to finish their long suffering post-apocalyptic/gothic ARPG.

I remember these guys asking for money "pre-sale" about 2 years ago. Hell, I even posted it on here. I'd love to see some product from them, but I'm not willing to give them any money till they have a product.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:20:38 AM

Squad Wars - Status: Not Funded, ends on 5/19: The founders of Net Devil not happy with Gazillion support of Jumpgate form new company and are looking to fund a space shooter.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:01 AM

I can not confidently say those people deserve any dollars for their continued efforts.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:51 AM

I can say with certainty that NetDevil devs do not deserve one red fucking cent to fund any games, especially not if they are in charge.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:35 PM

The two I funded were:

Musopen - Record pro classical music from a bunch of the greats and release it into the public domain. Two years later and apparently the guy is now processing it for release within a few weeks.

and

TPB AKF - Documentary on the pirate bay. Two years later and the court case is finally closed I think which is what the guy was claiming he was waiting for. Suppose to be released this year.

---

One thing I noticed is that the owners and employees of Kickstarter kick into a lot of projects. I'm thinking that some of the projects are getting $1k and $10k donations just from them.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 06:28:53 PM

After seeing what has gone on with the video game industry for the past 5 years or so, I can safely say that not one of them is going to get any of my money prior to actually having a semi-working product on the shelf at Target or on Steam.   Ohhhhh, I see.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 11:15:23 PM

I can say with certainty that NetDevil devs do not deserve one red fucking cent to fund any games, especially not if they are in charge.

But END Games Entertainment look so legit.

At least 2 of those guys have their O-face on. Now that I've seen them, I can't unsee them.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:32 AM

After seeing what has gone on with the video game industry for the past 5 years or so, I can safely say that not one of them is going to get any of my money prior to actually having a semi-working product on the shelf at Target or on Steam.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ah, but these are people from 25-30 years ago, so it's okay!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  
Jump to: