Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  (Read 412253 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:53 PM

Kind of an interesting short film based on the 14th century 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' poem. Looks very Bravehearty.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brandonstcyr/the-green-knight
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 12:52:32 PM

Don't think I've seen thins one -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1327678769/the-future-of-table-top-role-playing-games?ref=users

Portable, foldout boards and storage for table top RPG games.  Wish I had a little disposable income right now, it's one of the first Kickstarters I've actually been interested in the higher tier ($100+) bonuses.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 06:26:51 AM

It seems like an ok idea as an alternative to say a Gamechic table, but I couldn't see using it myself. Our regular game, we use a modified table top one of our guys made himself with one inch graph and an iron on surface. It's like 3 x 5 feet of graph, and that's often just barely big enough. I wouldn't know what to do with a little 2' x 2' graph board, seems like you'd spend all your time erasing it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:32 AM

3' x 5' not big enough?  Even at 1" squares that would be 180' x 300' with a 5' step system.   What kind of epic battles are you recreating that it's not enough room?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:52 AM

Mostly its about being able to map out multiple rooms of a keep or dungeon, without having to keep erasing things (people like to retreat at times). Also, outdoor encounters are frequently set in 200' areas, especially in the Pathfinder Adventure paths. Half of Runelords is fights against creatures with 15 and 20' bases - things that big need room to have any sort of tactics to the fight.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:37 AM

CLANG

"These things... they take time."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:35:17 AM by pxib »

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #76 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:24 AM

I like Neal Stephensen, but that sounds like an epic facepalm of an idea.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #77 on: June 27, 2012, 07:38:48 AM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:59 PM

You have about 30 minutes to get in on something at a decent price that might actually be pretty cool:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:38 PM

You have about 30 minutes to get in on something at a decent price that might actually be pretty cool:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Think you misread it - 29 days to go still.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #80 on: July 10, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

No, he meant the $95 price point that gave you the whole console. Its sold out now though.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 10, 2012, 01:31:12 PM

No, he meant the $95 price point that gave you the whole console. Its sold out now though.

They added a $99 dollar level with the same things as the 95 one....

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: July 10, 2012, 01:52:26 PM

$99 is still reasonable. They were actually going to run out of the $99 one one and they added 5,000 more. I think they want to massively overshoot their goal, which is fine.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:21 PM

Good lord, that things already over it's goal.

beer geek.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #84 on: July 10, 2012, 02:35:35 PM

The $99 ones are going quickly too.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #85 on: July 10, 2012, 02:36:08 PM

I pondered signing up for it, since the tech looks cool, but I think the odds of it being successful are really low. Consoles that don't come from companies that also provide actual content for them are pretty much in snowball's chance territory I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #86 on: July 10, 2012, 02:36:20 PM

I wish they'd bump the specs up to 2GB ram and 16+GB flash.  I think they're going to wish they had that headroom later.

The Ouya looks to be the same basic platform as Nexus 7 (what NVIDIA calls "Kai"), which definitely rocks at 720p.  Games probably will do okay at 1080p, but I think some extra headroom for texture/vertex data and local storage would be valuable.  

I'm really excited to see them committing to keep the device open and hobbyist-friendly.  A $100-150 price-point seems reasonable for box + controller, and not running on battery and having room for a heatsink and/or fan means they can keep all four cores and the GPU running flat-out if necessary.  Hopefully they'll execute well.

Looks like they doubled the limit on the $99 units from 5000 to 10000.

I think it has a lot of potential to be a really nice little box for the living room.  If nothing else it's got enough horsepower to run classic console emulation really well.  Will they manage to launch a successful small/indie console platform?  That's a lot less certain.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #87 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:55 PM

*snort* an android based gaming system. Yeeeeaahhh. I think I'll save my $99 for something more solid like magic beans.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #88 on: July 10, 2012, 05:04:36 PM

I think I'll save my $99 for something more solid like magic beans.
The more you eat, the more you magically toot.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 05:35:31 PM

Getting this thread moving again:

Donate to Penny Arcade's kickstarter to remove ads from their website for a year. For everyone.

I get the idea, but I don't see ads anyway on the rare occasion I view PA because I use adblock+. Thanks, but no thanks. You are literally the most wildly successful webcomic of all time and I'm guessing you pull easily 200k a month. Nevermind that you're making an animated kids movie possibly (based on "The New Kid", which was part of their "vote for 3 random concept comics" thing, and lost to a presumably scifi/supernatural western thing they have yet to draw) and selling the Lookouts comic (which is the literal two time loser of the first "vote for 3 random concepts" thing, but since they had a raging boner for it they just did it anyway and ignored the vote tallies). You do not need the money and I bet at this point like 90% of your viewers could block all your ads and none of your advertisers would notice.

Unless this makes the worthless fat dipshit who does PVP kill himself out of jealousy because PA got people to just give them money for literally nothing I see no reason to bother.

edit: Especially if it goes towards the really, really bad sideprojects like that PA report thing or Lookouts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:59:22 PM by Fabricated »

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:25 PM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 06:02:24 PM

*drops phone*
*case gets scraped to shit and looks terrible*

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:24 PM

Might as well have one of these, once you get all that shit on the phone. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 07:07:23 PM

Getting this thread moving again:

Donate to Penny Arcade's kickstarter to remove ads from their website for a year. For everyone.

I get the idea, but I don't see ads anyway on the rare occasion I view PA because I use adblock+. Thanks, but no thanks. You are literally the most wildly successful webcomic of all time and I'm guessing you pull easily 200k a month. Nevermind that you're making an animated kids movie possibly (based on "The New Kid", which was part of their "vote for 3 random concept comics" thing, and lost to a presumably scifi/supernatural western thing they have yet to draw) and selling the Lookouts comic (which is the literal two time loser of the first "vote for 3 random concepts" thing, but since they had a raging boner for it they just did it anyway and ignored the vote tallies). You do not need the money and I bet at this point like 90% of your viewers could block all your ads and none of your advertisers would notice.

Unless this makes the worthless fat dipshit who does PVP kill himself out of jealousy because PA got people to just give them money for literally nothing I see no reason to bother.

edit: Especially if it goes towards the really, really bad sideprojects like that PA report thing or Lookouts.
This isn't even selling out.

This is them using Kickstarter wrong. The first true example of fucking up kickstarter.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 10, 2012, 07:14:37 PM

Even were it for a project, they're amazingly successful.  Maybe if they turn around and donate all of the money to charity I won't be annoyed at this.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #95 on: July 10, 2012, 07:18:06 PM

They won't. They "sold out" years ago. I'm not really sure what this campaign is about unless Tycho is trying to prove Kickstarter was bullshit. But I think we all already knew that, but we just like owning new things.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:27 PM

The stupid "paint the line" card/dice game thing they have on their front page would be something that would make sense to kickstart. If you have no idea what it's it about, it's based on a series of wildly unfunny strips that sprang from this thing where they were obsessed with playing ping pong with game devs for like 5 minutes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 07:46:50 PM

Watch the video for paint the line. It's Magic with retarded changes. Seriously, it's just Magic. With a tacked on Ping Pong theme.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 07:48:43 PM

This makes me a little sad that I bought the Penny Arcade deck building games.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:42 PM

Yeah, "pay us so we can operate without advertising" is not something that's terribly exciting.  I guess it's low risk -- there's not a lot of opportunity for them to fuck up something as simple as "cash the check and stop showing the ads for a year", but it's pretty low impact.

The Ouya thing is pretty high risk -- very little detail about the team -- ignoring any (perfectly valid) questions about how to make a low volume, mid-spec android-based console successful, there's just the question of can they actually manufacture something that works and get it to their 10k+ backers (not *impossible* but $99/unit, assuming that covers their BOM, almost certainly can't cover all the tooling and upfront work too, and getting decent quality consumer electronics through manufacture and into customer hands is not cheap).

Some of the kickstarter projects I've enjoyed the most are "fund this book of this webcomic".  They've consistently resulted in me getting some very nice books of works I've enjoyed, often signed, with postcards, posters, or other goodies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:00 PM

The stuff from Cryptozoic is pretty good. I was actually looking forward to The Lookouts, but it looks like it was shelved.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #101 on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:46 AM

Yeah, Lookouts looked interesting.  I have to be careful now though, as I've moved from being a "gamer" into being a "game collector".   awesome, for real
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:03 AM

I fail to see what OUYA can offer me that I can't already do by just plugging a controller into my HTPC. 

But then again, I might just not be the target audience I guess.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 07:39:25 AM

I'm not buying an OUYA.  Seems more than "high risk". 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #104 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:51 AM

Some of the kickstarter projects I've enjoyed the most are "fund this book of this webcomic".  They've consistently resulted in me getting some very nice books of works I've enjoyed, often signed, with postcards, posters, or other goodies.

I hope CMoN doesn't partner with any more studios the way they did with Studio McVey. Luckily, I was able to ignore Zombicide, but they're doing a pretty good job of being awesome kickstarts. Has someone linked the Wired article about their methodology? Getting a gazillion minis of decent quality, especially when they're throwing in a ton of knockoffs from Aliens, Riddick, Firefly, BSG, etc; the project really gained momentum at the end because the stretch goals were so tangible and awesome.

And CMoN is creating a tool for post-KS funding, allowing folks to kick in more money post-KS to get in on the awesomeness. It cost me 50% more, and I'm contemplating dumping even more because it's a pretty nice way to get a ton of decent minis on the cheap. And the game looks decent, too :) They'll make over a million on Sedition Wars after the CMoN tool bids go through.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kickstarter - The Thread.  
Jump to: