Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:18:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  (Read 55642 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #70 on: April 05, 2012, 10:38:12 AM

Aspergers in SPACE.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:03 AM

Aspergers in SPACE.

Is that the target audience?

Hardcore gamers who are programmers, sci-fi fans and who have aspergers with too much free time

swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 11:09:58 AM

[...] with too much free time

Doh!
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:12 AM

I don't think the bulk of the players will have to program anything, unless he really hoses it up.

I love the idea of "crafting" actually involving creativity and making something of value, not just combining some random things to make other things.

I've seen people burn far more time than I'd burn doing some hobby programming just sitting around pushing the craft button while chatting.  This, if done right, actually could provide value for effort.  Or it could be a huge incomprehensible mess.  Will be entertaining to watch.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 11:14:58 AM

f13, doomcasting games on the merest wisps of rumor since 1999.
schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:29 AM

f13, doomcasting games on the merest wisps of rumor since 1999.
Since 2003, thank you very much.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 05, 2012, 12:11:36 PM

f13, serious since 2012.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #77 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:36 PM

Assembly in space, wow

Reminds me of wanting to program Water Evaporators and Ore Mining rigs in SWG.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:12 PM

Reminds me of Federation of Free Traders and coding in SIMPLE.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:45 PM

I'm kind of hoping it ends up being a Minecraftier version of Infinity Universe.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 01:19:42 PM

Twitter is crap for communicating with people, or Notch is crap at actually responding to questions.  Annoying.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:43 PM

Little of column A, lot of column B.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:08 PM

This screenshot gives some indication that the 'simple' graphics won't be Minecraft-simple. Also, it looks like there 32x16 video memory. It's like programming in COBOL all over again!

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:00 PM

Looks like blocks to me, still.

crazy people are already going nuts with the cpu specs and such, with results collected here

summary in http://www.reddit.com/r/dcpu16/comments/rv48r/list_of_dcpu16_utilities_updated/   Includes some basic c-like compiler.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 08:47:33 PM

I've put a bunch of random projects up on github over the last year or two.  Typically they pick up 3-6 followers.  Sometimes I get a patch or an email.  173 people are following my emulator/assembler thing for Notch's CPU.

At least 3 people (that I've seen so far), have "created" their own by renaming all my variables and/or "porting" it to C++, often breaking it badly in the process.

And there are a bunch of other emulators, assemblers, etc, out there of varying quality and cleanliness -- the guy who build a full graphical IDE with debugger is probably the most impressive right now.  A lot of people are running around emulating peripherals, but I don't see the value until we get some more clue about what actual peripheral interfaces look like.

I'm sure we'll see both an LLVM and LCC port (retargetable backend C compilers).  I might try my hand at writing a tiny C compiler at some point.  Writing toy compilers is enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing (and incomprehensible -- at least as far as "why would you do that?!" -- if you're not).

I'm mildly annoyed that Notch doesn't want to give us interrupts, but who knows, maybe he'll change his mind.  He's now talking about 3 computers (virtual machines) per ship and some kind of "network" comms between them.  Should be entertaining.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 06, 2012, 01:45:16 AM

Writing programs that help operate your ship and such could be cool. Programs with in-game relevance. But I struggle to come up with why I would write general-purpose programs like games and such on this when I could write them for one of a dozen better emulators or not for an emulator at all.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 06, 2012, 01:47:03 AM

Yup!  Same reason I never quite understood why people wanted to build computers with redstone logic when you can get cheap FPGA development boards and build real computers that run at 50-100+MHz!  Guess it's a "because it's there" sorta thing...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:08 AM

Yup!  Same reason I never quite understood why people wanted to build computers with redstone logic when you can get cheap FPGA development boards and build real computers that run at 50-100+MHz!  Guess it's a "because it's there" sorta thing...

A Spartan3 dev board is ~$200.  It's not a huge investment but there you are.  However, you can dork around with Verilog/VHDL in a simulator for free.

Really though, if what you want to play with is gate layout (which is closer to what redstone is) Magic and SPICE, although free, require *effort* to use. On the other hand doing something, like say implementing the 80386 architecture in Verilog and then creating a standard cell library to implement it to MOSIS layout spec in Magic with a good test plan and test results in SPICE might get you a mid-high 6 figure job eventually.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #88 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:36 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:00 AM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 06, 2012, 03:23:17 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/188385652482641920

So here's the deal: the game will have no textures. Flat colored polygons with modern lighting, but no textures. None. (except a few)

Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this.

edit: http://0x10c.com/screenshots/001.png

Looks decent.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:03:36 PM by Malakili »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:29 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:51 PM

Phong-style shading? I already love this game.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:08 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/188385652482641920

So here's the deal: the game will have no textures. Flat colored polygons with modern lighting, but no textures. None. (except a few)

Goddammit.  Well, my interest in this game nosedived.  You'd think that even if he personally can't do the art, with the fifty zillion dollars he made off of Minecraft he could hire someone to at least try to make it not look like shit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 07:37:01 PM

Phong-style shading? I already love this game.
That has sooo much potential for atmospheric space stuff.

Pleeease put in Aliens. sssSSSS
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 06, 2012, 07:59:55 PM

Aahahahah.  I think you win this round. ^^
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 06, 2012, 08:15:18 PM

A Spartan3 dev board is ~$200.  It's not a huge investment but there you are.  However, you can dork around with Verilog/VHDL in a simulator for free.

Really though, if what you want to play with is gate layout (which is closer to what redstone is) Magic and SPICE, although free, require *effort* to use. On the other hand doing something, like say implementing the 80386 architecture in Verilog and then creating a standard cell library to implement it to MOSIS layout spec in Magic with a good test plan and test results in SPICE might get you a mid-high 6 figure job eventually.

You can get a Cyclone IV board with minimal peripherals for $80 or a Cyclone III with all kinds of peripherals for $120.  Tons of fun and a 32bit 16 register RISC core, UART, VGA character display, etc will barely touch 10% of the LEs in the device.  But yeah, you're right, still not quite free.

Some of it is probably people not realizing that "building computers" (for reals! that can run at-speed!) is actually doable fairly inexpensively these days.  Was talking to a coworker about the cost of shuttle wafers and really we're getting in the realm of a kickstarter project or a pricey hobby if you're willing to use an older larger process -- not quite as accessible as PCB fab, but getting closer.

Some of it is probably just it's more accessible and fun to build computers by moving bricks around in a virtual world.

Some of it is if I stick to my irrational guns here people draw amusing cartoons about it and everybody wins.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 06, 2012, 09:05:47 PM

dayum, this is strangely intriguing and repellent at the same time. I wonder if he is riffing off of Stephenson's cyberpunk ideas where programmers coded themselves motorcycles in cyberspace and did samurai combat with their leet haxxored cyber swords.  Or is it just Core Wars crossed with Elite?

I used to be dumb/smart/ambitious/ignorant enough to do stuff like write a warehouse management system in assembly language on a 16-bit processor with 16K RAM (and the program and "OS" living in a 32K EPROM).  And that was even before I started drinking, but now that I think on it may have contributed to me starting.  Now I'm pretty lazy so I'm not sure I'm all that interested in thinking that hard just for giggles. 

Hmm, well, thinking about it, I'm fairly sure I'm not interested in having to worry about what kind of mischief some asshole's code can do to my stuff, so I'm not likely to be using much of other folks modules, meaning it better be pretty simple to do most everything with stock/clean modules and not have to be at the mercy of the noble intentions of l33t haxxor dudes to get my ship to move.  And if there is ANY method by which some attacker can force my ship to run their code against my will I am not interested at all.  I realized EVE was not for me after a pretty short trial, and it had nothing to do with spreadsheets and everything to do with not being interested in playing with/being dependent on/being vulnerable to psychopaths.  I got tired of that in the real world, I'm not interested in having it "spice up" my escapist entertainment.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 07, 2012, 12:16:33 AM

This game sounds about as fun as getting punched in the dick

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 07, 2012, 04:33:15 AM

While the focus of much of the discussion has been the multiplayer component, I would guess that much of the programming (and playing) would be done in single player or private servers with libraries for the DCPU being shared much like mods. The benefits of working on "hijacking" other people's systems becomes nearly useless when most people will use your code in single player and the player base in multiplayer can have any assortment of custom libraries. Most likely the focus of attacks will be if there's a common operating system that most people use, in which case there will be many people looking over the code for vulnerabilities and offering fixes. All of this is contingent on the amount of communication that's available, since I doubt anyone will have direct access to the terminal(s) on your ship.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in Notch and company knowing how to make a fun multiplayer experience other than just taking the single player game and letting people play it together. So far it sounds like all we have is a ship/space simulator with NPC evil ships in it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 07, 2012, 05:58:48 AM

This game sounds about as fun as getting punched in the dick
So at least as good as many popular MMOs?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:01 AM

Perhaps, but it will have less mass market appeal due to having fewer minipets.

GitHub gets onboard the 0x10c train

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:50 PM

Let the folks not into hacking on virtual machines enjoy it at a different level, and create a "crafting" market where the crafters actually create something...

This.  I've been waiting for this for a long time.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:47 AM

Goddammit.  Well, my interest in this game nosedived.  You'd think that even if he personally can't do the art, with the fifty zillion dollars he made off of Minecraft he could hire someone to at least try to make it not look like shit.

According to the info published elsewhere, Minecraft has made Mojang US$80m since launch. Their earnings / profit in that time were only around US$13m. Yes, it's a lot of profit for an indie title, but where did about US$67m go?

And regarding this title: even if Mojang isn't making EVE, EVE players will flock to it and bring the same tactics to bear. So it might sound awesome about player created mods and player created viruses, but I think Mojang will find the key source of issues will be of their own making. Along with the first story of "My computer was damaged through playing this game".

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 01:35:30 PM

According to the info published elsewhere, Minecraft has made Mojang US$80m since launch. Their earnings / profit in that time were only around US$13m. Yes, it's a lot of profit for an indie title, but where did about US$67m go?

Not sure where you're going with this.  Even if the game only made $1m, that's more than enough to hire an artist or ten.  I don't begrudge the guy his money or anything, I just wish he'd stop half-assing it with the graphics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  
Jump to: