Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  (Read 55597 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:46 AM

I'm not sure I get what's going on

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 08:52:25 AM

Brand Notch stirs from its slumber.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:08 AM

I wonder if there will be inter-ship communication. A group of players could conceivably build an AI that could be controlled by just one player. For example, all of my "guild mates" would load the slave program before logging off and their ships would assist me in mining, combat, or what have you.

The real fun is when things get complex and emergent behavior or hijacking begins to evolve. The glorious, "Oh shit, what did my ship do while I was gone?" moment.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:18 AM

I wonder if it will be 8-bit like graphics.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:03:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:09 AM

Real question is how long before someone makes 2d minecraft running on that thing.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:20 AM

I wonder if there will be inter-ship communication. A group of players could conceivably build an AI that could be controlled by just one player. For example, all of my "guild mates" would load the slave program before logging off and their ships would assist me in mining, combat, or what have you.

The real fun is when things get complex and emergent behavior or hijacking begins to evolve. The glorious, "Oh shit, what did my ship do while I was gone?" moment.

My thoughts to this effect was a system to link ship DCPUs together, thereby creating a more powerful singular system ala the Borg.
Obviously you'd have to jack in a prog. that'd do that, which would take chunks of resource from each but the overall system would be wonderfully parallel.

Picture a dozen ships interlinked to open a wormhole to Notch's house or something. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:57 AM

My thoughts to this effect was a system to link ship DCPUs together, thereby creating a more powerful singular system ala the Borg.
It's more akin to the Geth.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:25 AM

http://0x10c.com/doc/dcpu-16.txt

Basic opcodes: (4 bits)
    0x0: non-basic instruction - see below
    0x1: SET a, b - sets a to b
    0x2: ADD a, b - sets a to a+b, sets O to 0x0001 if there's an overflow, 0x0 otherwise
    0x3: SUB a, b - sets a to a-b, sets O to 0xffff if there's an underflow, 0x0 otherwise
    0x4: MUL a, b - sets a to a*b, sets O to ((a*b)>>16)&0xffff
    0x5: DIV a, b - sets a to a/b, sets O to ((a<<16)/b)&0xffff. if b==0, sets a and O to 0 instead.
    0x6: MOD a, b - sets a to a%b. if b==0, sets a to 0 instead.
    0x7: SHL a, b - sets a to a<<b, sets O to ((a<<b)>>16)&0xffff
    0x8: SHR a, b - sets a to a>>b, sets O to ((a<<16)>>b)&0xffff
    0x9: AND a, b - sets a to a&b
    0xa: BOR a, b - sets a to a|b
    0xb: XOR a, b - sets a to a^b
    0xc: IFE a, b - performs next instruction only if a==b
    0xd: IFN a, b - performs next instruction only if a!=b
    0xe: IFG a, b - performs next instruction only if a>b
    0xf: IFB a, b - performs next instruction only if (a&b)!=0

* SET, AND, BOR and XOR take 1 cycle, plus the cost of a and b
* ADD, SUB, MUL, SHR, and SHL take 2 cycles, plus the cost of a and b
* DIV and MOD take 3 cycles, plus the cost of a and b
* IFE, IFN, IFG, IFB take 2 cycles, plus the cost of a and b, plus 1 if the test fails

More info inside the link.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:16 PM

So they are going to offer classes at the community colleges or College of Phoenix Online to teach me what the fuck to do in this game?

Yeah, definitely not for me.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 12:20:06 PM

0x2: ADD a, b - sets a to a+b, sets O to 0x0001 if there's an overflow, 0x0 otherwise
    0x3: SUB a, b - sets a to a-b, sets O to 0xffff if there's an underflow, 0x0 otherwise
    0x5: DIV a, b - sets a to a/b, sets O to ((a<<16)/b)&0xffff. if b==0, sets a and O to 0 instead.

* IFE, IFN, IFG, IFB take 2 cycles, plus the cost of a and b, plus 1 if the test fails

So, it's a game to write assembly?  Or do you write it all in machine language? (I can't get to the website from work).

I hope he's just ripping off an already proven open-source RISC ISA otherwise he's opening himself up for all sorts of bugs.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:04 PM

I'm not sure I get what's going on

A bunch of people are wanking over one page of back-story, bullet points, and some vaguely described mechanics because it's being made by the guy that did Minecraft.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 12:46:48 PM

So, it's a game to write assembly?  Or do you write it all in machine language? (I can't get to the website from work).

I hope he's just ripping off an already proven open-source RISC ISA otherwise he's opening himself up for all sorts of bugs.

It's a machine-language virt. machine and then you're left to your own devices.  Tbh most people arent going to fool with the assembly language, myself included.  I'll wait for a compiler and toy with it inside an IDE.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 12:54:18 PM

The IDE is likely to be made of asteroids that you have to push around with your ship.  Before the Space Endermen come.

I think Notch got lucky with Minecraft.  I also think he wanted the game to be something other than the enjoyable thing he made.  I'll be watching this to see how much crying there is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:25 PM

Notch was always the less "hardcore" part of team Wurm. Minecraft is close to what he originally intended with Wurm.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:04 PM

Notch was always the less "hardcore" part of team Wurm. Minecraft is close to what he originally intended with Wurm.

So you are saying that wurm could have been way less dick punchingly bad had they worked better with notch's style?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:24 PM

This is going to be hilarious.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:29 PM

So, Quinton, need a guild?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:17 PM

So you are saying that wurm could have been way less dick punchingly bad had they worked better with notch's style?

Too many chiefs, and we can leave it at that.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:09 PM

So, Quinton, need a guild?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
SLAP in the Assembler?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:14 PM

SHL a, p
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:41 PM

I think I would go with slap.h

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:23 PM

It's a machine-language virt. machine and then you're left to your own devices.  Tbh most people arent going to fool with the assembly language, myself included.  I'll wait for a compiler and toy with it inside an IDE.

Yup -- I expect there will be a number of high level languages or environments.  I also suspect that many (most) players will simply "install software" in their ship computers instead of writing it themselves.

Me, I'm having fun writing an assembler for his little virtual machine to make it easier to test my implementation of it.

@Murgos - it's a pretty clean spec for a variable length instruction 64k word, 8 register machine.  Not a lot of ambiguity, but based on his replies to folks on twitter, I expect most of that will be shaken out in the near future.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:35 AM

slap.ass

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:37 AM

Some sort of FAQ here: http://0x10.cc/

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:31 AM

How will you stop malicious viruses etc?

I won't stop viruses, the players will have to do that themselves.

Not giving him my money anymore.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 08:50:56 AM

Seriously though, he's wasting too much time on the computer, that much is evident by the FAQ.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:38 AM

Yes, like Minecraft the fun will be tangential to his core design.  He really wanted biomes and dungeons and survival, but most people wanted to build giant penises.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:47 AM

How will you stop malicious viruses etc?

I won't stop viruses, the players will have to do that themselves.

Not giving him my money anymore.

But isn't that kind of thing part of the point? Some time ago Notch mentioned adding support to let players hack into each others spaceship computers. Viruses would just be one of those intended attacks.

Now, for that it is of course important is that the VM sandbox is properly walled off from your real system. But that would be one of the reasons he is going with a super-restricted system design with suitably limited IO capability.

If done right it should have far less attack surface (in a VM breach sense) than, say, flash files or other such things you already allow your system to run.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:24 AM

This game sounds too much like work.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:53 AM

This game sounds too much like work.

Hm, maybe it is like EVE then.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

Some sort of FAQ here: http://0x10.cc/

What will be the price?

No price decided yet. But there will certainly be a monthly fee for playing on the multiverse since even when you will not be connected trajectory and your ship's computer will still be simulated.

A monthly fee for some 8-bit tastic meganerd complier game?  Good luck with that bro.  I think the bloke has started to believe his Notch Defense Force.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:02 AM

For real this idea is fucking stupid and you guys are crazy. This will fail faster than Metaspace.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:13 AM

I'm happy to wank over this backstory because the proposed environment aligns very closely with what I've been researching for my dissertation and it gives me some new perspective. Distributed coordination and planning when everyone wants to work together is pretty straightforward, but doing so with self-interested agents is a relatively young field and any simulations are often simple, fabricated scenarios without many of the real-world quirks and constraints. Granted, this is still far from the real world, but it's an environment that many people will "agree" on and in which the emerging interaction of both human and machine agents can be observed on a large scale.

Once there's a C compiler I'm all over this. Here's hoping it doesn't get watered down in the name of "fun".  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: April 05, 2012, 10:30:44 AM

For real this idea is fucking stupid and you guys are crazy. This will fail faster than Metaspace.
Wrong, Notch has fans.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #69 on: April 05, 2012, 10:33:04 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  
Jump to: