Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick  (Read 38846 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 28, 2012, 10:59:26 AM

Yup, this is almost enough to get me to resubscribe for a month or two.  Prices and market activity in the hub I normally sold in must be going through the roof.

http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:trend

Noxcium is 1k each right now, Trit is over 6.  Technetium is over 200k each.  A Hulk is almost 320m and Hulkageddon starts next week.  It's a great time to be a trader/producer if you have been paying attention.

I'm not sure where people get the idea what Goons are trying to completely destroy the economy forever -

The goal is indiscriminate terror leading to profitable chaos on the markets.

That goal was achieved without even firing a shot due to market speculation.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 02:03:34 PM

Actually, I just remembered why Jita became such a trade hub. Way back in the mists of time, there was 3 ice belts in Jita. Since ice belts never ran out and it was a 1.0 system, Macro Ice miners sat there 23/7 mining ice, so it was a great place to get Fuel. And with the ready avalibility of fuel people just started selling other stuff and grew from there.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 02:15:28 PM

Look, TGR said people go to Jita becasue its closer.
Nope, I did not. I said people go there because it's a one stop shop.

"Will I have to jump around a bit to pick up the modules I need?" means that they know they can get everything they need in one station. Actually, this is easier to see, not specifically in modules, but in moongoo. Amarr has most of the goo types, but there's f.ex 5000 units total of technetium there with a daily throughput of nil, and there's uh, I dunno, a few million units, with a daily throughput of between 500k and 1m+ in Jita.

People go there because that's where the most buyers and sellers are, that's where the major volume is etc. Sure, there are other trade hubs, but they're less well-stocked, they're often more expensive than Jita (especially on items which aren't necessarily 100% mainstream) etc etc etc.

And finally, it's more than 18 freighters and 50 industrials. A lot more. Test alone apparently had more than double that a few hours ago.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:24 PM

I'm sure there is enough stock in Jita to not cause a hugh price difference over one weekend. And only big Freighters and Hulk's are being targeted - players buying their stuff in an Industrial are untouched.

Still, it's got lots of Drama and Hilarity, and that's the only reason to play Eve Online really.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 04:59:10 PM

And finally, it's more than 18 freighters and 50 industrials. A lot more. Test alone apparently had more than double that a few hours ago.

I. And only big Freighters and Hulk's are being targeted - players buying their stuff in an Industrial are untouched.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Better get your stories straight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Quote from: Tgr
People go there because that's where the most buyers and sellers are, that's where the major volume is etc. Sure, there are other trade hubs, but they're less well-stocked, they're often more expensive than Jita (especially on items which aren't necessarily 100% mainstream) etc etc etc.

So what you are saying is "people go there out of sheer inertia" which is what I said. I also said people started going to Jita in the first place becasue of POS fuel, so Moogoo was covered there. Believe you me, I remember having zero problems getting stuff in Oruse and Rens. I notice you picked Amarr as your example, and the problem with Amarr, aside from its phyisical discance from the sources of your example techenium so it would be a pain in the ass to get it down that far south, is that its really atrophied since the fall of BOB and the Nerfing of Delve.

And the fact that you have to admit that other market hubs even exist means that my basic point is still valid. What will happen is that people are going to just break their silly habit of flying to Jita for everything and head elsewhere to sell their shit. I'm sorry if that upsets you but there it is. Which might indirectly harm Goonswarm as they are would have to go farther away to buy crap. And I said you would kill a lot of ships for a couple of days, remember?

Daaamn I'd love to be in Rens right now in a cov ops watching traffic and how its changing...

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 28, 2012, 08:21:28 PM

Better get your stories straight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I'm going to just go with "comstar is wrong". They may not be as targeted as freighters, jumpfreighters and hulks etc are, but there are tons of industrial ships and other ships going pop to f.ex thrashers. I'd be surprised if a ton of pimp ships aren't also going to get shot by thrasher guys as well.

Quote from: Tgr

So what you are saying is "people go there out of sheer inertia" which is what I said.
Yes, I am. And surprisingly, it's also what I said from the beginning. It was you who claimed I said it was "because it was closer".

I notice you picked Amarr as your example, and the problem with Amarr, aside from its phyisical discance from the sources of your example techenium so it would be a pain in the ass to get it down that far south, is that its really atrophied since the fall of BOB and the Nerfing of Delve.

Every type of resource has been moved all the way to Jita in much, much higher quantities than they have to Amarr, let alone Dodixie, Rens or Hek.

Daaamn I'd love to be in Rens right now in a cov ops watching traffic and how its changing...
I'll make it easy for you: it isn't. Rens is a small piece of shit minihub, it's not going to replace Jita just because of a few days worth of ganking. The odd individual might move there for a few days, but once the burn jita initiative is over, they'll move right back, simply because of the much higher sales velocity.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:13 PM

Better get your stories straight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I was wrong- I was in the Cover and Tornado fleets, and hadn't heard the Thrasher fleet killing a ship every few minutes. Yesterday the fleets were on the same comms and I would hear the Kamaikaze Thrasher fleet commander (General Disturbed who sounds EXACTLY like Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica) break into the discussion every few minutes and say BREAK BREAK BREAK ALL THRASHERS TARGET THE SHIP. HOLD HOLD, FIRE FIRE FIRE and another half dozen ship explosions would go off on the undock.

Yesterday DBRB stole the Thrasher fleet and killed a Freighter with nothing but single shot destroyers.

In unrelated news, TEST got Mark Meer to say I'm Commander Shepard, and TEST space alliance is his favourite alliance in the citadel.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:26:43 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:28 AM

I would be pissed off that none of you jackasses sent me a PM to let me know the Jita attack was coming up like I'd asked you to, but the sad fact is that it was a GW2 beta weekend, so wouldn't've been there anyways.  :welp:  Oh well, would've taken a new disposable alt and several days of training to be able to get in a ship that could actually contribute anyways, so my own fault for not having set things up a couple weeks ago before a concrete date was set.
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 30, 2012, 04:29:36 AM

Actually, I just remembered why Jita became such a trade hub. Way back in the mists of time, there was 3 ice belts in Jita. Since ice belts never ran out and it was a 1.0 system, Macro Ice miners sat there 23/7 mining ice, so it was a great place to get Fuel. And with the ready avalibility of fuel people just started selling other stuff and grew from there.

Not quite as it pre-dates ice being added to the game, but some of the original conditions have long been removed in an attempt to combat lag.

Jita used to be 1 jump from the Kisogo, the Caldari State War Academy starting system, which the majority of Eve players picked due to the race descriptions making Caldari sound the best and War Academy sounding the best of the Caldari schools (since no one really knew what the hell the skills did back then and/or were thinking about twinking)

Then add in the fact that Jita is only 1 jump from 2 other regions (Lonetrek and The Citadel) and it made a good location where the majority of players could easily check prices across 3 whole regions.

I also have a feeling there used to be a level 4 Caldari Navy agent there but that, and the roid (and subsequent ice) belts were just the icing on the cake
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:22 AM

(General Disturbed who sounds EXACTLY like Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica)
He does sound a lot like him, although GD manages to have a more monotone voice. It's pretty awesome to listen to, actually.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 30, 2012, 07:08:35 AM

Jita became Jita because it was a quest hub.  CCP moved the good agents out of it and the other trade systems in a desperate attempt to cut down on the traffic, but by then inertia had already taken hold.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 08:23:44 PM

Jita became a hub after CCP changed layout of jump routes (removed the highways system) which would up to that point make entire population converge and trade in Yulai. Afterwards Jita happened to perform Yulai's function of 'most convenient shopping spot closest to anywhere that mattered' the best, so the markets moved over there.

edit: a trip down memory lane from some guy old enough to have second hand knowledge of those things. And now i feel like a fossil.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:33:04 PM by tmp »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:00 AM

I always went to Jita because it was so easy. You could buy whatever you wanted. Travelling a jump or two is fine, but not if you are buying then different things and they are in ten different systems.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 11, 2012, 05:35:42 PM

I've been away from the board for a bit. How did the Jita camp go?

Hic sunt dracones.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 12, 2012, 01:26:41 AM

It made all the gaming site news.

Jita trading dropped by 30-50% percent over the weekend.

About 3-4 Titan's worth of ships and goods destroyed.

4000+ destroyed ships.

Pages of tears on eve-o forums.

CCP tweaked their TiDi ruleset and it was quite effective.

Much fun was had.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 12, 2012, 01:28:39 AM

And the rens/jita/amarr/etc population hasn't changed much.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 12, 2012, 03:29:25 AM

Ah, it only lasted a weekend. Fair enough  Ohhhhh, I see.

Glad you had a good time.

Hic sunt dracones.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 13, 2012, 01:23:25 AM

Maintaining a protracted siege on Jita would be enormously expensive, given that anyone firing would be blown away by Concord.  The need for constant replacement hulls would bankrupt anyone in not a very long time.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:26 AM

Given relative cost of t1 hulls vs technetium income, goonswarm could probably buy enough ships to last weeks. Burn Jita only cost a couple of thousand hulls.

Where they'd struggle is keeping pilots interested unless the huge bounties were maintained.

Goons, and all eve players, are easily distracted.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 13, 2012, 04:25:02 AM

The ship hulls were not a problem- I believe there is still two thirds of the stockpile left. Ship hulls were not an issue.

It was only planned to go for a weekend- you need a critical mass  of players willing to do it, and burnout was inevitable, but what really stopped it was too many pilots getting to -10 security status.

There were some big and ongoing fights between "defenders" of Jita and the attackers. Nothing on an 0,0 scale of warfare, but enough that needing a cover defence fleet and a thrasher fleet and a tornado fleet meant everyone eventually got tried of it doing it round the clock for 3 days.

And it won't be the last time it happens either.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 13, 2012, 12:41:09 PM

A huge issue was just the loss of sec status near the end.  It gets hard to suicide gank when you have a 50/50 chance of being popped by faction police on the undock before you finish loading enough to do anything.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick  
Jump to: