Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick  (Read 38858 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:21 AM

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:11 AM

I think most of the people that would care were following it already.  Did he actually resign??  He mentioned it in an early tweet, but I've never seen anything else on it since his apology.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:53 AM

Apparently it's cool to be a griefer nowadays? Meh, all this stuff just reinforces that Eve Is Not For Me.

On a more srsbsns note, Mittani's avatar is a spitting image of Viktor Orbán, Hungary's current PM... who happens to be a complete f'head. I'm sure it's a coincidence  why so serious?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:24:33 AM

The article is wrong, I guess.

He tweeted yesterday "Just landed. Step one, apologize profusely. Step two, resign. Step three, send all my isk to the victim. Entirely my fault and unacceptable."

But he admitted he has only done steps 1 and 3 and might do 2. Which probably means he's not going to.

Nothing about any of this makes Eve look remotely decent. And stepping over to the Eve Boards to read what the community has to say about it makes me feel like taking a shower and gargling. Either the Eve community is a lot worse than most, or my tolerance level for miscreants is a great deal lower than it used to be.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:10 PM

Nobody griefed a suicidal player.  Some guy got his mining ship shot and his cargo taken, he then proceeded to contact the person who blew up his ship and threatened suicide if they didn't give him his cargo back.  This is a common practice and is not a sign of a depressed player in need of help, it's a ploy to guilt the guy who blew you up into giving you your stuff back.  That's why the conversation log was held up for ridicule; everybody knew it was a lie.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:08 PM

Even if the suicide thing was a fake, a game where griefing people is considered 'cool' isn't for me. Yeah I know, I'm a giant pansy / carebear.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:53 PM

Shooting someone in a game where you're supposed to shoot people isn't griefing.  It's playing the game.  If someone decided that their feelings would be hurt in TF2 if they got backstabbed by a spy, that doesn't make the spy a griefer when they run up and backstab.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:23 PM

Yea, I wasn't referring to this thing in a vacuum, but kicking over space sandcastles / making hapless noobs suffer / ninjaing nodes / suicide ganking / etc isn't my idea of fun.

I don't want to get into a trammel/felucca v891732 slapfight here, so I'll just leave it at that. awesome, for real

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:46:30 PM

Oh I agree, I've never been a "the noob tears are delicious!" sort of person.  But it's a PvP game, so neither am I losing sleep over someone getting their mining ships blown up.  There are precautions to take to not get your ships blown up, and anyone who'd been playing long enough to be ice mining really had no excuse for not having taken those precautions.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

The EVE community, as evidence by the forum, is really shitty. Really really really really really really shitty.

Which is fine with me, I don't play Eve, but the way this story comes out - especially in light of how popular anti-bullying messages have become - it makes the Eve community look really bad. Especially if people then go to the forums to read the anti-social ravings of the misfits that inhabit that world.

Unbalanced people shouldn't play games, but neither should people point and laugh at the depressed suicidal dude. Nobody knows whether he means it or not, except him. He could be griefing the griefers; nobody knows. (And it would totally serve them right if he is).

But this? Publicly identifying and calling for all out attack on the guy at panel discussion at a conference? Beyond the pale.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:58 PM

Even if the suicide thing was a fake, a game where griefing people is considered 'cool' isn't for me. Yeah I know, I'm a giant pansy / carebear.

Man up or GTFO of this subforum ;)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:27:49 PM

I still think the whole thing boils down to "Drunk guy says something stupid, news at 11."

He apologized, don't see why this is even news anymore.  I would bet if CSM elections were held again today he'd still win chair.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:23 PM

Unbalanced people shouldn't play games, but neither should people point and laugh at the depressed suicidal dude. Nobody knows whether he means it or not, except him. He could be griefing the griefers; nobody knows. (And it would totally serve them right if he is).

There was a prolific member of Mittani's Eve community who actually killed himself in real-life and of course there were the few assholes bragging about how they told him to do it beforehand. I found the whole thing a bit sordid, afaik it was discovered that he was an army vet who was suffering from post traumatic stress. That said Mittani always struck me as someone who was fairly upstanding and I'm sure his apologies were genuine.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:56:15 PM

He caught himself saying "niggerrich" on tanks TS a little while ago and commented how hanging around with internet space sociopaths is starting to affect him.

Meanwhile no one cares about a BBC reporter calling everyone attending fanfest basement dwelling virgins. (skip to the 16th minute mark).
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:26 PM

There was a prolific member of Mittani's Eve community who actually killed himself in real-life and of course there were the few assholes bragging about how they told him to do it beforehand. I found the whole thing a bit sordid, afaik it was discovered that he was an army vet who was suffering from post traumatic stress. That said Mittani always struck me as someone who was fairly upstanding and I'm sure his apologies were genuine.

RIP, RoyOfCA.  He sold me a ton of blueprints on the cheap once.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:19 AM

Meanwhile no one cares about a BBC reporter calling everyone attending fanfest basement dwelling virgins. (skip to the 16th minute mark).

The astonished "wtf are you serious?!" from the reporter when Hilmar states that he wants to cleanse the world of evil by having all the evil people play EVE and be evil in EVE instead of real life? Priceless.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:20 AM

The EVE community, as evidence by the forum, is really shitty. Really really really really really really shitty.
Which forum? If you're looking at the eve-o forums, then 95% (or more) of that is trolling or e-peen wankery. It's a cesspit of bad posting.

Which is fine with me, I don't play Eve, but the way this story comes out - especially in light of how popular anti-bullying messages have become - it makes the Eve community look really bad. Especially if people then go to the forums to read the anti-social ravings of the misfits that inhabit that world.

But this? Publicly identifying and calling for all out attack on the guy at panel discussion at a conference? Beyond the pale.
I'm not going to try to defend mittens (he said it, drunken stupor or not, and he'll have to own up to it), but to be honest I sometimes get the impression that some people are just sitting around and waiting for someone to say something which can be twisted into being bad, and then jump on it and play it up like it's the worst thing in the world right then and there. And if you read of the articles, all of them refer to an eve online player named "kestrel" who has run around and contacted them all. It basically strikes me as having all the hallmarks of a witch hunt where someone finally got something to use, and everyone's going "oh hey something sensational I can report on! woo!"

Was what mittens said bad? Yes. Over the line? I'd have to say yes there as well. Would anyone even have noticed or cared if this "kestrel" guy hadn't run around and yelled murder? Probably not.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 04:08:17 AM

Dragon Ball Zero Twilight slash-fiction has more literary value than the eve-o forum on any given day because anyone with a modicum of sense does not take it seriously. Hell, even the person who pubs are demanding we all be apologetic to isn't taking it seriously.

The Wis > Ok.. Well that is nice. Hmm.. wait.. If i do kill my self they might arrest him and prosicute him since he is in the US.. That would really be bad for him.
The Wis > Just kidding of course but a thought.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:06 AM

Which forum? If you're looking at the eve-o forums, then 95% (or more) of that is trolling or e-peen wankery. It's a cesspit of bad posting.

The Eve Online forums, especially the threads talking about this. Not saying all Eve players are shitty people, but that forum over there sure doesn't make the Eve community look good.

I'm not going to try to defend mittens (he said it, drunken stupor or not, and he'll have to own up to it), but to be honest I sometimes get the impression that some people are just sitting around and waiting for someone to say something which can be twisted into being bad, and then jump on it and play it up like it's the worst thing in the world right then and there.

Well, sure there are plenty of people like that, and I'm not defending people who are out for scalps from anyone not sufficiently politically (or otherwise) correct.

I'm just astonished that The Mittani would make those statements in light of the fact that an Eve player did in fact kill himself (I didn't know that).

If he is really sorry, if he really believes that he's being/been changed by the online persona, what he ought to do is step down as he promised. If he doesn't, then he's full of shit.  Hell, if he really thinks his only problem was getting drunk and that whatever he said has reasons to explain it, he ought to get away from online games entirely for a while and go back and live in the real world. Maybe he'll re-civilize.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:47:34 AM

Wasn't aware that someone making a twitter post about something is a "promise".

Supposedly the CSM is discussing what they want to do about it.  I hope he stays and stays as chair.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:02 AM

Wasn't aware that someone making a twitter post about something is a "promise".

Supposedly the CSM is discussing what they want to do about it.  I hope he stays and stays as chair.

"Just landed. Step one, apologize profusely. Step two, resign. Step three, send all my isk to the victim. Entirely my fault and unacceptable."

If that's not a signal of his intentions (or a promise) then what is it? Someone attempting to look like a decent guy but just another asshat. If he's now scrambling around trying to figure out how he can stay on as CSM, then I don't know what to make of his apology. It changes meaning, just as if he doesn't resign after that tweet, his tweet is bullshit.

I remember when RoyofCA killed himself - it was in my local paper (he did it in my town), and I thought it was one of the most responsible suicides I've ever heard of. Doesn't sound like he did it because of Eve though.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:16 AM

I'm just astonished that The Mittani would make those statements in light of the fact that an Eve player did in fact kill himself (I didn't know that).
1) He was drunk. It's not an excuse, but it's a factor.
2) This was seemingly spread around to various news outlets by one guy. Once that was sensationalized, literally everyone who hates him/goons piled on.
3) You've no idea how many people I've seen lately who've said "mittens should be put down/kill himself" in f.ex jita local. I love the irony in that.
4) If the guy you're talking about is RoyOfCA, then you should probably know that he was an old afghanistan vet with severe mental issues completely unrelated to EVE, and the suicide was completely unrelated to EVE. IIRC, he was suffering from PTSD.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:11 AM

1) He was drunk. It's not an excuse, but it's a factor.

Or was he...? (Just piling on after reading more horrible Eve Online forum posts today).
If he really was drunk and forgot what he said, not only should he step down but also maybe consider giving up drinking.

3) You've no idea how many people I've seen lately who've said "mittens should be put down/kill himself" in f.ex jita local. I love the irony in that.
awesome, for real

4) If the guy you're talking about is RoyOfCA, then you should probably know that he was an old afghanistan vet with severe mental issues completely unrelated to EVE, and the suicide was completely unrelated to EVE. IIRC, he was suffering from PTSD.

I assumed it was - until reading this thread I had no idea that some EVE player killed himself - if that's who whoever above was referencing, then yeah, I know, it apparently wasn't related to playing Eve.

So when someone does kill himself after being taunted to by some taunting idjit on a game forum, would it matter to the taunting idjits?

Could be a reason why gamers have a reputation for being mouth breathing basement dwelling virgins.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:51 AM

When I saw this thread I thought you meant he'd resigned as god emperor of an important internet space empire, not a pr committee with free Icelandic holiday.

Thread now feels something of an anti-climax.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 11:49:00 AM

Mittani in my opinion is to blame for all the following:

1) Getting drunk at an internet videogame drinking festival.
2) Having the alliance panel moved to a different time due to delays, while drunk.
3) Being the leader of an alliance where "kill yourself" is said as often as "stop posting and kill yourself"
4) Space AIDS
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:59 PM

Or was he...? (Just piling on after reading more horrible Eve Online forum posts today).
If he really was drunk and forgot what he said, not only should he step down but also maybe consider giving up drinking.
Then I guess almost everyone who went to fanfest should "give up drinking". vOv

And I'd say he was drunk, yes. Just look at the video and judge for yourself. I dunno if he was blacking out-style drunk at that point, but he's definitely "heavily inebriated". As was the rest of the new CSM, the audience, and likely nigh-on everyone in there from CCP.

I assumed it was - until reading this thread I had no idea that some EVE player killed himself - if that's who whoever above was referencing, then yeah, I know, it apparently wasn't related to playing Eve.

So when someone does kill himself after being taunted to by some taunting idjit on a game forum, would it matter to the taunting idjits?
So when someone does kill himself after being wardecced and suicide ganked for a few weeks straight because one guy transformed one drunken comment from a drunken comment into A Thing, should it matter to that guy? Should it matter to the ones taking the tip and running with it? Should it matter to the guys who suicide ganking and wardec him for a few weeks straight?

Could be a reason why gamers have a reputation for being mouth breathing basement dwelling virgins.
I'm going to just go so far as to say that this thought strikes me every time I watch some of the voting propaganda that spews forth from the US. It's the same level of idiotic sensationalism. "SHOW US YOUR BIRTH RECORD!!!!!!!!!" Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:31:17 PM by tgr »

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 12:29:50 PM

I am a top floor dwelling virgin, thank you very much.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:48 PM

Yea, I wasn't referring to this thing in a vacuum, but kicking over space sandcastles / making hapless noobs suffer / ninjaing nodes / suicide ganking / etc isn't my idea of fun.

I don't want to get into a trammel/felucca v891732 slapfight here, so I'll just leave it at that. awesome, for real
So you're posting in an EVE subforum, because...?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:30 PM

So you're posting in an EVE subforum, because...?
Because
Apparently it's cool to be a griefer nowadays? Meh, all this stuff just reinforces that Eve Is Not For Me.

On a more srsbsns note, Mittani's avatar is a spitting image of Viktor Orbán, Hungary's current PM... who happens to be a complete f'head. I'm sure it's a coincidence  why so serious?
morning-after edit Also: physician, heal thyself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:57:59 PM by Zetor »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:08 PM

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=88008

TLDR : He's going to decline the chair but remain on CSM 7 saying that being CEO of Goons and chair of the CSM just don't mix.  Seems to have the support of at least a few other CSM members except for the 7th alternate (14th place person) who apparently is a raging idiot.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:15 PM

30 day ban to the guy who ran the GIA for 6 months without even being subscribed to the game. Heh.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:31 PM

As some of you might have heard, one of the Alliance leaders speaking at the Alliance Panel during EVE Fanfest 2012 breached our EULA/TOS with some ill-advised remarks about a fellow EVE player. It goes without saying that CCP deeply regrets this incident and will work towards reducing any possibility of this happening again in the future.

CCP requested that all panel PowerPoint presentations and discussion topics be handed in beforehand for approval.  Regrettably, the offending comments were made during an unscripted Q&A session after the main presentations.

Following a thorough internal review CCP has decided to respond to this clear violation of our Terms of Service and wholly inappropriate use of the Alliance Panel. According to our existing policies, we have issued a 30 day ban from EVE Online to the panel speaker.

The policy of CCP is not to publicly discuss warnings and bans on an individual basis. This situation is entirely unique because the panel was displayed via CCP’s Fanfest video stream component, a platform analogous to our forums.  As a result we have published this statement due to the special circumstances involved. However, our policy remains that we will not publicly discuss warnings and bans.

The panelist has subsequently posted a public apology as well as a private apology to the victim of his attack. He has also resigned from his position as Chairman of CSM 6 and has forfeited his right to serve on CSM 7.  As per our policies, this candidate may be eligible to run at a later date subject to candidacy review.

The Council of Stellar Management is a democratically elected council that represents the players of EVE Online.  Although council members may represent the players in any manner they choose, being a council member does not permit actions or playstyles that violate our policies.

GM Salmon

VP of Customer Relationship Management

Popcorn

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:12 PM

Meanwhile semen on photographs of people still ok.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

State of the Goonion incoming. Something is going to burn in hell.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:35 PM

Meanwhile semen on photographs of people still ok.

Puzzling over this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: "The Mittani" resigns, apologizes for being a supreme dick  
Jump to: