Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crusader Kings II  (Read 134777 times)
Korachia
Terracotta Army

on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:20 PM

The demo is out, and the final game will soon be shipped as well!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?495150-Other-info-about-the-game-(previews-trailers-demo-etc.)

Finishing the install right now! Let the bugs come, I will enjoy it anyway!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:59:41 PM

Fuck yeah, CK is probably my favorite non-EU2 Paradox game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:33:29 PM

Oh good! It's been at least 24 hours since I felt like a complete gibbering idiot.  But the king dude bro clips on youtube have been awesome.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:55 PM

Holy shit, a Paradox game that properly detected my desktop resolution!

EDIT: And it has 27 tutorials.  awesome, for real

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:50:25 PM

I've been watching this one for about a year now; Crusader Kings is my favorite Paradox game and has consumed hundreds of hours of my life.  The demo is really good too.  It's looking like this might be the most polished Paradox release yet.  Also, they didn't scale back the complexity at all, and may have actually added a few layers.  The 14th can't come soon enough.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:09:38 AM

Yeah I've had my eye on this one for a while now and I've been playing the demo nonstop for a couple days. I'm incredulous at how bug-free this is for a Paradox release, so I ended up pre-ordering it.

The demo does have a few subtle bugs, alongside some not-so-subtle ones, such as a plot event bug whereby one of your vassals forces you to abdicate your throne... to yourself. They mostly seem to be mixed-up results in events/decisions, which are controlled by text files, so I expect most of these can be fixed promptly with a fan-patch, if Paradox doesn't get around to it before release.

Word is that there's a day-1 patch, though.

Also, the manual's out and is available here. It's not incredibly useful as it doesn't really go deep into most of the more obscure mechanics, but it has some clever jokes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:02:32 AM

I've been watching this one for about a year now; Crusader Kings is my favorite Paradox game and has consumed hundreds of hours of my life.  The demo is really good too.  It's looking like this might be the most polished Paradox release yet.  Also, they didn't scale back the complexity at all, and may have actually added a few layers.  The 14th can't come soon enough.
Basically this, yeah. Skipped the demo so i can get full experience from get-go, but really looking forward to the release.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:15:47 AM

How neckbeardy is this compared to, say Victoria 2?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Yoru

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:54 AM

Worlds less. It's still intricate and complex, but it's more about having and executing long-term diplomatic and martial plans rather than fiddling with sliders. In fact, I can't think of a single slider in the game.

Thanks to the focus on characters, it feels a bit like an RPG mashed together with EU3.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:09 AM

Excellent. I keep looking at Victoria 2's tutorials and going "oh god", I guess this could be the proper middleground then.

I'm hoping it'll crop up on steam at some point in the near future, though?

Yoru

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:45:38 AM

Excellent. I keep looking at Victoria 2's tutorials and going "oh god", I guess this could be the proper middleground then.

I'm hoping it'll crop up on steam at some point in the near future, though?

Already there.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:50:20 AM

...I was searching for Crusader Kings 2. Not II.

Sigh. Oh well, putting it on the list, thanks.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:49 AM

Victoria II seems a lot more daunting than it actually is.  I successfully played through several games, and almost never touched any of the market sliders.  The market pretty much runs itself.  All you need to worry about is the budget slider (just like in EU), upgrading your countries infrastructure, how you spend your few focus points on developing your country, and what tech you research.  Really enjoyed playing the game overall.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:16 AM

I saw this thread last night, did some googling, and blew some of my tax return on this. It sounds like a game I'd really enjoy. Spent about 15 minutes with the original last night, but did not get very far. I've been googling around for some walkthroughs/AARs/guides. If any of you have one you find extra helpful, please point me at it.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:21 AM

Victoria II felt more like a spreadsheet than a game to me, and I'm a pretty big Paradox fan.  I liked the original more than the sequel in that case, just like I enjoyed EU2 more than EU3. 

Bann: the original Crusader Kings is great fun once you get the hang of it, but it can be quirky and the ai is as dumb as a pile of bricks.  I don't know of any guides, but I would advise playing a mid-sized kingdom, or a strong duchy that can become a kingdom, to start.  I started my first game as the de Hauteville dynasty down in Naples, which through some crusading in Sicily and the claiming of the title of King of Sicily can become a strong power as long as you don't piss off the HRE.  Alternatively, the spanish kingdoms are a lot of fun, but they require a little more savvy because if you anger the muslims to the south too much you're toast; you have to choose your moment and then backstab your fellow Christians afterward.  The fun often comes in uniting a lot of counties/duchies into a cohesive kingdom and then seeing how long you can hold it all together before some inbred halfwit becomes your heir and you endure 20 years of civil war (unless you kill him before he takes the throne...).

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 10:23:55 AM

I must be weird I find Vic2 to be less neckbeardy than Hearts of iron and Crusader Kings... Less scheming involve, you're just riding the waves of the 19th century and tuning certain things as you go along. A lot less scheming involved.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:24 AM

This new one seems SIGNIFICANTLY more complicated than CK, which was really the simplest of Paradox games. Not sure if I like that they amped it up quite that far, but we'll see.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08:59 AM

It's hard to tell right now because while they did add complexity they also streamlined some things.  On one hand they've added baronies/cities, which brings up the complexity a bit, but they've also removed a lot of the buildings and added the ability to transfer fealty so kingdom/empire management is now immensely streamlined.  As a king, being able to transfer a count's fealty to a duke makes life much easier, and that's an option that was always sorely missing from the first CK.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 05:04:17 PM

Been playing with this game for a good day now. Been a good fun ride. There are bugs, but it feels like there are less then normal for Paradox games. Not Starship Troopers level through. Like the whole feel I am getting from this game so far.

Played with Poland. Murdered my brother and another magnate(duke). Gave me more land then my demesne level could handle. Made a few Prince-Bishops in the poorest of counties. Then I build up my economy and let my army grow, before planning my campaign against the heathens of the east. Plundered, pillaged and raped my way through the Baltic countries in the name of Christ - making them mah medieval wrenches. Good times were had. Until first retarded son came along. Shook him until he stoped crying and my disappointment had evaporated. Wops. Second son was just as retarded and suffocated on his pacifier. Rumors circulated about their unfortunate ends, and Prince-Bishops revolted. Apparently they like their boys alive and not dead. Time of troubles insured. Fucking church..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:07:49 PM by Korachia »
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 08:23:42 AM

I do like the plot system. You choose one from a list of possible objectives which usually involve either murder or usurping someone's power. That goal becomes your major objective, which seems to influence a number of the events that will come your way. You have the ability to add willing participants to the plot to increase it's chances of success, and of course those participants are more likely to want to join if they stand to gain something from the event.

In my last game my wife had gotten past the fertile stage, and I was still looking to win the baby lottery. Of course killing my wife became my plot objective. I immediately had the support of my low born mistress (Foolish girl - like I would marry a commoner after all the trouble I had gone through.) My brother's wife had some kind of falling out with my wife, so she was quickly added to the plot. Finally when the children from a previous marriage came of age I managed to get one or two more recruited to the cause - I guess they never quite warmed up to their stepmother. One dead wife later, I was a happening middle-aged despot browsing the people finder in search of the perfect alliance/baby factory.

I am a little disappointed that there was less fallout afterwards. Maybe I just managed to do things correctly with a fairly high intrigue rating, but my mistress did not complain, my children did not seem put out by anything, and I was not suspected of the murder. It might be total coincidence, but my brother's wife did try murdering someone else a few years later. I could have put her in prison, but she did me a solid back when I needed it.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:05:39 PM

I was lukewarm on this game, never having played the first, until I read Dtrain's post.  It has graduated to must buy.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 05:31:14 AM

There may be a full release already out there. I'm not advocating piracy; I already bought it weeks ago.

I played Robert de Hauteville trying to create the Kingdom of Sicily. My only son, Richard, had a hunchback, leprosy, and was gay. It didn't work out very well.

Had a game as Galicia. The Reconquista is a breeding ground for villainy and backstabbing. I was at war with al-Andalus, doing well, when Leon (ruled by my first cousin) attacked me. Two thirds of his vassals promptly pledged themselves to me, giving me the Kingship of Castille to go along with Portugal and Galicia.

As the Count of Vermandois (direct line to Charlemagne) I stumbled upon a crack in the earth which led to hell. I kept following it down and heard the wails of the damned. I sacrificed my infant son to close it.

I've been waiting nearly ten years for this game and it really does not disappoint. It's dense but don't let that put you off. This thing is fucking awesome.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:35 PM

I played Robert de Hauteville trying to create the Kingdom of Sicily. My only son, Richard, had a hunchback, leprosy, and was gay.

You need to radicalthon this shit. I wanna get this game, but i don't wanna drown in paradox games...maybe wait for sales discount.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 07:48:58 AM

Does the steam version give you a manual? I may buy this.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:37 AM

Manual's up on their forums for everyone!

Playing a really good game as Croatia. Married the (now) Queen of Poland. Our kingdoms will be united in our heir. Hungary's suddenly gotten REALLY jumpy about this and keeps fucking with me.

The AI feels extremely opportunistic in a good way. You have to scramble to make wars work if you're anyone smaller than France.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:24 PM

DOWNLOADING NOW BITCHES!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:20 PM

Oh dear god.  awesome, for real

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:54 PM

I had my aunt, who was second in line to the throne of Croatia after whatever child (any child, male or female) I spit out. She proceeded to kill every one of my six kids before they reached the age of eight. I could never quite pin it on her but it was pretty fucking obvious who was doing it.

Glorious.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:33 PM

Oh my God that is awesome.

God Save the Horn Players
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 11:17:19 PM

Downloaded the demo. I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I invade France?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:07 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:16 AM

Gave it about an hour last night. It reminds me of EU Rome more than Crusader Kings 1. Not really grokking everything yet, I guess I better do all 27 tutorials...

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 12:17:14 PM

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:06 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with this. Started out as a poor count in the northwest of Ireland, and then manipulated and conquered my way to becoming King of Ireland. Now I'm getting into regular scraps with the King of Scotland whenever he's out crusading (easy conquests for me) and it looks like my current heir will also gain a claim on the crown of England if all goes well.

Here's to the coming Great Irish Empire! awesome, for real

Update:
Yeah, my big plans have to be delayed for a bit. Everything went great until a quick combination of deaths put my gay son on the throne. Honestly you wouldn't know it, considering he and his wife produced five kids in ten years, but it was still reason enough for everyone to hate him. And then, just a month into his reign he got excommunicated on top. So my vassals rebelled. All of them. ACK!

It took all my effort (and a lot of mercenary money) to keep swatting those uppity counts and dukes down. Even giving the titles to new people didn't help much since with all his negative traits my king got at least -60 opinion from everyone. He hung on long enough for his oldest son to reach 16, then got himself killed. Lucky.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:37:15 PM by cironian »
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:00 AM

Great game.

Ireland is next on my list so I'm glad to hear a success story.  I am currently playing a game as the Danish dynasty, and after thirty years of manipulation and pagan stomping I've accumulated claims on the kingdoms of England, Norway and Sweden in addition to making the Baltic a Danish lake.  My first son, however, has taken to killing his nephews.  I've placed a lot of my sons as dukes hither and thither throughout the kingdom, but pretty much any time one of them has a son he winds up dead.  The reason being that their crazed uncle will inherit his brother's lands if he has no heirs, and so my conquests have occurred against a backdrop of dickery and kinslaying as my eldest son vies for greater power behind my back.  My paranoid, murderous first son even got himself excommunicated, which I had to plead to get reversed, because once the current king of Denmark (who is 70 years old and infirm) dies I'll be playing him, and being excommunicated sucks.  I plan to continue his misdeeds, however, and try to play this game a bit like a roleplaying game.

Very fun stuff.

Update: My eldest son went too far and tried to kill me, and I'm pretty sure he tried once before that as well, but he wasn't caught.  So I had him imprisoned and executed, and then the head of the dynasty died two weeks later anyhow.  I now have his very pious son in charge of everything and Denmark has entered into a kind of golden age of pagan bashing.  It's almost Shakespearean.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:03:34 PM by Ruvaldt »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II  
Jump to: