Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals!  (Read 59079 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:26 AM

I am on Landroval. I started at 50 just outside Moria and I'm now 62nd. There aren't a lot of people, but I do see others wandering around occasionally or the odd person at a quest hub. Plus the game has mostly been about soloing, so you don't miss much. I haven't run into anything in the public world that I couldn't handle alone, usually easily, and the epic quests are soloable (and being soloable, sadly, don't feel very epic).

I've used the instance finder and through the 50s got into a lot of library runs and skirmishes and had generally good experiences, even if most people seem to defer to the complete silence thing.

If you buy the premium version of Rohan, it should have enough content to get all the way to 70, but you don't get a lot of options along the way.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 10:17:15 AM

I thought they made Lone-Lands free at some point?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:00 AM

I thought they made Lone-Lands free at some point?

Correct, Lone-lands is free.

As for the original question, I just started over with a new character on Brandywine.  While I wouldn't call it crowded, there's been plenty of other people in the areas I've been leveling in.  Playing a Minstrel, I even get the occasional random invite to do instances.

It all depends on the server, though.  My 30-something Runekeeper on Arkenstone never saw a soul outside of Bree.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 11:41:50 AM

Correct, Lone-lands is free.

News to me. Its been a while. My bad.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 08:14:56 AM

When looking over the feature list for Lord of the Rings Online’s upcoming Rohan expansion, one thing in particular caught my eye. Mounted combat. An image jumped into my head. I saw a warrior riding charging towards a band of Orcs on a gleaming war steed, dismounting with mighty blows as he passed. Later, I spoke to executive producer Kate Paiz about the upcoming expansion, and discovered that this vision of jousting warriors wasn’t too far from the truth.

“My sense of it is, you’ll be riding across the plains, and you’ll look off into the distance and you see this column of smoke and you’re like “huh, I wonder what that is” and you realise that the smoke is coming closer to you, and is in fact a mounted band of Orcs sent out by Saruman to harry the villagers of Rohan,” she said, “You have decide whether you’re going to ride in the opposite direction, call a few friends or heedlessly charge into battle.”

As you ride towards the enemy, you’ll be able to activate a new set of mounted combat skills for your horse and your warrior that will connect as you race past them. If your foe is still alive, you can circle back and take another charge. If you or your opponent takes a hard enough hit, you can be set flying off your mount, and the fight will continue. “At that point you can choose to keep your advantage of being mounted, or whether you dismount to take care of your foes with your very hands,” Kate explained.

The warhorses will be a different breed entirely to the mounts you can currently use to get around Middle Earth quicker. The new steeds will be bigger, beefier and tougher, and will come with their own trait system. “you’ll be able to customise their physical appearance and also the abilities that they lend you so they’re a good match for your character and the abilities you have already.”

Customise their appearance? Does this mean we’ll be able to buy horse armour?

“Yeah, absolutely. There will be a variety of customisable options both in the store, and earnable in-game,” said Kate.

Link.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:17 AM

Cadaverine:

We've got a pretty active guild on Brandywine if you looking for people to play with. There's a whole lot of 75's who are always doing what 75's do (I'm not sure what that is), but they all are happy to help you with whatever you've got going and most of them have low level characters to play as well.

Add me to your friends list when you get a chance, my main is Steinwick.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:52 PM

Cadaverine:

We've got a pretty active guild on Brandywine if you looking for people to play with. There's a whole lot of 75's who are always doing what 75's do (I'm not sure what that is), but they all are happy to help you with whatever you've got going and most of them have low level characters to play as well.

Add me to your friends list when you get a chance, my main is Steinwick.

Will do.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:05 AM

Chance Thomas is doing the soundtrack again. That means real instruments, not the blappy, crappy synths of Enedwaith and Dunland. "Ha ha! The excitement is doubled!"

http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2012/03/chance-thomas-to-score-riders-of-rohan/

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:19 PM

Mounted archery - check.

Q28: Why can't I shoot my bow from mounted position? - William Wood

A: You can’t?? Weird, I can. I was just doing that this morning. Oh wait, I work on LOTRO. Oops. . The good news that you might be happy to hear is that the new mounted combat system coming with the Riders of Rohan Expansion pack will allow you to do just that (that’s assuming you play a class that can use a bow)! - Linda “LLena” Currie, Design Director

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/feature-articles/2054-community-qaa-june-1-2012

- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 07:19:48 AM

- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:06 PM

Delayed to Oct 15.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 01:45:42 PM

That's a *really* good idea, because they were going to get bigfooted by the GW2/MoP releases big time. I'm still a huge fan of LOTRO, but I didn't (and don't) have any intention of buying Rohan until I get tired of GW2.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 11:57:00 AM

If an expansion is released and nobody's around to hear it, does it make a sound?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 07:49:09 AM

Other than mounted combat, the new expansion just looks like a new LI grind. I got burned out by the last 2 of those.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:49 PM

Had the same convo yesterday with a former Turbiner from LotRO.  Nothing new except models and terrain and stuff to buy.  Hope they do something novel down the road.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:18 AM

They skipped a new instance cluster, too, didn't they? I can excuse that once (RoI) but not twice in a row.

For forty bucks, that's just not enough content. Looks like they got hit with a bunch of layoffs last week, too.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:17 AM

Hate to hear that, but this game is old and busted. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 01:51:33 PM

It guts me, because it deserves more dev attention. I'll get it eventually, just not for forty bucks.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:06 PM

Lum said something about layoffs on facebook.

And did I catch it right that the instances aren't even out yet for ROR?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:05 PM

There was a statement from Warner about layoffs at Turbine a couple days ago yes. No numbers.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 05:50:32 AM

Yeah, no instances yet. "Soon", just as with RoI's release. Which, like I said, I was okay with. Once.

If this game dissipates, it's going to be solely because Turbine is doing a half-assed job post-Mirkwood. They have a healthy population, a great IP, amazing art, and solid content when they bother to put their noses to the grindstone. There's no excuse for not having instances or some other cool shit (I've not read anyone thinking mounted combat counts as the latter) ready to go in these expansions.

If Helm's Deep doesn't happen in a creative, compelling way then you'll know this thing is never going to bring back the magic.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:19 AM

There was a statement from Warner about layoffs at Turbine a couple days ago yes. No numbers.

Clover and Graalx2 are confirmed gone.

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:05 PM

I was the resident fan boy and did not order this expansion.  It just... they lost me.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:41 PM

Its OK not to play a MMO forever. Don't forget that.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 06, 2012, 11:37:36 AM

The engine updates for rendering distant terrain are magnificent. But I expect you get those without the expansion.

- Henry Cobb
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 02:28:35 PM

Could you link some screens? Would be nice to see, draw distance was always what kept LotRO from looking truly spectacular (damn you quadratic growth). Only, I'm like 20 gigabytes behind on patches. Ohhhhh, I see.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:48 PM

Is anyone still playing this? :)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:40 PM

I logged in last night actually, and admired the gigantic pile of Turbine Points from the lifetime sub, then I decided I didn't want to start a new LI grind and played Shogun instead.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:12 AM

Haven't had much time, and somehow the wife and I are finding other things we would rather do with the little bit of time we do have.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:27 AM

Picked it up again this month. Since I sprang for a lifetime sub at release, I might as well make use of it twice a year or so. I expect to last another month or so before I move on once more.

Also, new Bree (added this week) looks awesome.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:50 PM

I recently got back to it, played a dozen hours in two days, and almost completed Isengard.

Then I started playing TSW, and STO and LotRO started their holiday events (which I don't consider "playing" the game per se).

- Henry Cobb
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 04:21:05 AM

I disovered that I have now enough points on my Lifetime Acocunt to buy Riders of Rohan and did so. Still couldn't be bothered to actually play, though. I think I would have to relearn how to play my Guardian anyway, and post-50 I reckon that would hurt.

Anything you have to see to get the maximum ammount of "Wow, this is great" for the minimal time invested?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:35 AM

Probably due to The Hobbit, my son really wanted to play LotRO.  He's nine.  I made him a free account.  He's like level 10, hobbit guardian.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 04:29:28 PM

Over the last 2-3 months I've re-started playing my hunter who was 42 and am now 63 - half way through Mirkwood.  With the stack of turbine points I never spent I bought Rohan and about 10 100% xp tomes, of which I've used 4. I play a 4-6 hour session every 1-2 weeks so not fulltime or hardcore grinding...

With the 2x xp tome I can get through a level an hour, so the grind isn't that bad, and from Moria on I'm really enjoying the game.  My mates are all 70-85 so I'm going to start catching their characters soon, but without that I've played skirmishes and a couple of the 3-man dungeons with a friend or randoms.  Generally I find the story/epic quest-line more engaging than Old Republic, GW2 and anything other MMO i've played in the last couple of years.  Haven't played WoW since the beginning of Lich King, so I can't comment on Lotro v. Panda comparisons.

The game looks way prettier than it used to, has some awesome quality of grind upgrades (inventory, wallet, more travel options, auto-looting etc).  Moria/Mirkwood feel nice, very similar to what I'd hope them to feel like.  Will update on Dunland and Isengard and Rohan as I get to them.  According to my mates Dunland is good questing but boring, Mounted combat is hilarious fun, but don't take your steeds into Bree or any tight spaces...

*Should be working*
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:52 PM

I've been peeking in now and again as well, my Loremaster was level 46ish and I had bought Moria but never quite got to it.  So now I am 52 and a bit into Moria.  The inventory is incredibly annoying (especially after GW2 collection deposit), but playing in free mode, no real time pressure, so I can just pop in for a bit and do a few quests.   Moria seems neat so far!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals!  
Jump to: