Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals!  (Read 59081 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: January 25, 2012, 06:39:26 AM

Introducing Mounted Combat – Ride into Combat atop your loyal War-steed as you defend the people of Rohan from the forces of Isengard and Mordor. Customize your War-steed’s armor and level its skills over time to aid you in mounted defense of King Theoden’s lands. Mount your steed and gather your fellows to fight against Warbands, contingents of roving warg riders that have been scouted all over the Plains of Rohan! It falls to you to head off and defeat this new threat before they over take the land.

http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/1736-warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and-turbine-unveil-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan?lang=en_US

A forum post by Kate Paiz adds:

We’ll also introduce the option to bring Skirmish Soldier along to aid you on your adventures throughout Middle-earth.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?442183-Forth-Eorlingas

EDIT: Fixed second link
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:10:03 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:14 AM

I'll go ahead and be optimistic for now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:30:31 AM

Knew it was coming with all the work with animations on mounts. The Solider thing, a bit unexpected, but quite an interesting idea.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:42 AM

Knew it was coming with all the work with animations on mounts. The Solider thing, a bit unexpected, but quite an interesting idea.

Hey, if it worked for SWTOR..  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:04:35 AM

OMGOMGOMGOMG

…the spring update will add a completely new region to the game: The Great River.

The region takes its name from the Great River Anduin, and readers of the books or watchers of the films will recognize it as the waterway that the Fellowship took south from Lothlorien to Amon Hen. In terms of the game map, it will serve as a gateway between Lothlorien to the southern country of Rohan (and more on that later!), much the same way that Enedwaith led in to Dunland. It begins at the mouth of the Anduin Valley and travels down to the area right before Fangorn.

Paiz and Mersky vowed that starting this year, players will be seeing LotRO adopt Asheron's Call's monthly update model.

(Rohan)'s so large, in fact, that the regions developed for this expansion will be twice as big as Moria.

The team's been hard at work developing the technology to toss large numbers of enemies at you; these enemy groupings which will be called Warbands. Warbands will be prevelant in the East Plains and will be defeated by players using a new tactic: mounted combat. The idea behind this "robust system" is the image of groups of mounted warriors dynamically clashing, wheeling about, and maneuvering to gain advantage over their foes.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/25/riding-into-rohan-lotro-maps-out-2012/

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:40 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:46 AM

Oh my dear god
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

Wow that sounds amazing!  Hope it works out. 
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:33:42 PM

We’ll also introduce the option to bring Skirmish Soldier along to aid you on your adventures throughout Middle-earth.

Nice.  Maybe I'll be able to do some of them thar instances finally.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:45 PM

Impressive.  Everything they are doing is amazing and I cannot wait!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:15:32 PM

Is it bad that I'm more excited about this announcement than I am any of the new MMORPGs coming out in 2012?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 05:53:23 PM

Good.  Make it so. 

And remove x12 tokens plz.

Dd they ever get all tokens (not rep items which can go on the AH) into the wallet? 
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:25:38 PM

Good.  Make it so. 

And remove x12 tokens plz.

Dd they ever get all tokens (not rep items which can go on the AH) into the wallet? 

Yes.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:54:31 AM

Cautiously optimistic. It sounds too good to be true, so fingers crossed for a good fun implementation.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:28 AM

The tokens aren't gone. My pack is full of ones from Moria, Lothlorien, and Mirkwood.

I feel very "meh" about the article. Mounted combat is good, but I dunno, horses just don't do anything for me. So good change, but not exciting to me.

The skirmish soldiers? I'd rather have them fix them than let me have a broken one in more places. I also wonder about balance. It already seems so easy to kill stuff, the only real challenge I've had was finding my way around Moria.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:36 AM

Fix them?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:18 AM

I've heard the warrior is worse than most, but my soldier gets lost, paths into mobs, stands with clear LOS and doesn't attack. It's better than doing it solo, but it's not reliable and can easily get you killed. Example, this morning I was trying to knock out a quick skirmish and got beat down by the final boss in Ice Crevasse because my soldier just stopped attacking in the middle and stood in a neutral corner.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:40 PM

I've heard the warrior is worse than most, but my soldier gets lost, paths into mobs, stands with clear LOS and doesn't attack. It's better than doing it solo, but it's not reliable and can easily get you killed. Example, this morning I was trying to knock out a quick skirmish and got beat down by the final boss in Ice Crevasse because my soldier just stopped attacking in the middle and stood in a neutral corner.

Yeah, I gave up the warrior last night, and grabbed an archer, and whatever the loremaster equivalent is.  When it was off cooldown, and I could direct the warrior to attack something specifically, it worked well enough.  Other than that, he'd run around like a chicken with his head off, stand there doing nothing, or my favorite, strike some idiotic pose with both arms over his head, pointing his swords at the mob.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 01:30:57 PM

This is why I just use the pure healer.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:49 PM

You can also only direct them into combat ...I'm not sure. Once a minute? Every two minutes? Aside from that, you need to be hit for them to engage mobs. Makes it hard when Skirmishes are giving you waves of mobs, bosses, and a need to change to this or that entrance.

Ratama
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 02:51:59 AM

Watching a full life/power herbie heal and power-regen itself while I'm dying OOP is worse than wrangling a warrior, imo.

Spare the rod, spoil the dev.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 03:23:21 AM

I use an archer since at least this way I don't have to deal with pathing and aoe cc breaking shenanigans. Still a far cry from, say, the GW hero implementation [from 2006!].

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 10:09:03 AM

They need to get sorted:
*LFD/LFG
*inventory mgmt
*balance/re-factor old zones

I have never cared about mounted combat and I do want a reliable soldier.  Agreed about the warrior.

Did they ever give a free respec to skirmish marks?  My earlier question was also about getting ALL marks into the wallet.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 01:00:53 PM

Did they ever give a free respec to skirmish marks?  My earlier question was also about getting ALL marks into the wallet.

They did at some point; depending on when you last played.  And, yes, ALL marks are in your wallet. 

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:23 PM

Watching a full life/power herbie heal and power-regen itself while I'm dying OOP is worse than wrangling a warrior, imo.

So don't slot the power regen.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:17 PM

I use an archer since at least this way I don't have to deal with pathing and aoe cc breaking shenanigans. Still a far cry from, say, the GW hero implementation [from 2006!].

I'd say the archer is even worse than the warrior, due to the long direct cooldown times, so they spend an awful lot of time just standing around cheering at the scenery. Might be okay if you're a melee type yourself, but then a healer would be more practical..

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 01:01:50 AM

Yea, archer works well for me since I play a captain -- I'm insanely survivable and can keep the bad stuff on me, but my damage is very lacking. I used a warrior back when skirmishes were first implemented, and it was a bit more effective against zergs of little enemies -- the problem is that the warrior is so AOE based that CC is basically a lost cause unless you're willing to disable the AOEs and severely gimp his DPS. There were also a lot of very annoying pathing issues (tuckborough was pretty bad, iirc) that caused me to switch when they refunded skirmish marks.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:09 AM

I don't do a lot of skirmishes - mostly with my friends who play a Guardian and Loremaster (both have healers). In the 3-player situation, the Warrior implementation isn't too bad, as I just run in and get myself hit to get him to attack mobs.

Since I play a Minstrel, the initial plan was for me to take the Warrior so I could tank-heal, while my wife who plays a hunter took the archer, to cover double DPS. Unfortunately, since the soldiers are such dumbarses, we never really bothered to play skirmishes since they're so hard to control. Funny thing is that if they just lowered the cooldown time on the direct attack button (why is there anything besides a GCD on it anyway?) then most of the problems would be mitigated.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 08:17:54 AM

I have done an embarassing number of skirms (according to Turbine over 500 on my guard) and can safely say the only two pets worth a damn are the Sage and Herbalist.

I have dabbled with all of them at some point.  Archer is ok- the tradeoff over using a Sage is lower damage but greater survivability. 

How you slot your pet makes a huge difference.  Even the order seems to be important (I have learned to slot the skills I want them to use the most in the first space).  Also, with Herby, there is still a bug with certain LT's whereby he will just stand there doing nothing.  Telling him to attack will kick him into gear, though.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 05:40:27 PM

Is there any point to starting/restarting this at this point? Like, if I resurrected my whatever-level he was character (I think I was questing in Angmar) from way back when, am I effectively solo until I get to Rohan? Or are there still people doing alts and all that?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 05:49:14 PM

I would think solo, but the epic quest line is solo friendly all the way thru Moria now.  It's f2p, jump back in and see if you like it. 
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:43 PM

Is there any point to starting/restarting this at this point? Like, if I resurrected my whatever-level he was character (I think I was questing in Angmar) from way back when, am I effectively solo until I get to Rohan? Or are there still people doing alts and all that?

Nope.  Lots of alts and new players.  Tons of content for all levels.

Also, the 65 instances are ran by max level players a lot lately. 

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:45 PM

Honestly it depends on your server. Silverlode is dead-dead-dead... I have seen maybe two other players during my travels, and even though I'm in the LFD queue all the time as healer/dps/support (gotta love captains), I haven't seen a single group (both before and after LFD was implemented). The global LFF channel only has max-levels looking for the occasional 3/6man. This is at levels 30-60.

But yeah, the epic questline is soloable. Just be prepared... for a lot of soloing, unless you're on one of the populated servers I guess.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 03:00:43 AM

I play on Brandywine and I'm level 55. Moria is pretty empty, but Bree is stocked with people.

I think that means everyone is either playing their low level characters or their max level characters... I don't see many people around my level. Lucky for me, I just tag along with some 75's on Grand Stair runs.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 06:03:42 AM

I think after Bree is where you have to start buying Modules ( Zones ).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Riders of Rohan - this time for reals!  
Jump to: