Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  (Read 431425 times)
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: December 27, 2012, 08:51:27 AM

Unless it's changed the only time I remember a sub being worth it was when you were leveling up a character since you get more inventory space, bank space, boff slots and ship slots at each rank which you would otherwise have to pay for as a silver. 
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:29 AM

Subscribing really doesn't get you much, at least, not much for a continual subscription.  It's worth it to sub for a month because I'm pretty sure there are things you unlock that stay unlocked when the subscription ends, I just can't remember which things...  Ultimately, it is better for you to take your subscription money, buy the game currency, and purchase the stuff you need than to just pay $15 every month.

Actual crafting has been nerfed to uselessness, but crafting materials are still in high demand, because they are used for several other things, like fleet projects and certain duty officer missions, including the one that creates mark 12 consoles.  So they are worth putting up on the exchange at least.  There are regular crafting materials, and there are particle traces, which are 'rare' crafting drops.

So what level are you?  If you are still leveling up, nothing is particularly valuable, aside from crafting materials.  Just about everything else you can vendor.  One of my great joys is twinking new players, so let me know what you want and I'll mail it to you.  Also, if you are looking for a fun, vibrant fleet, yeah, you probably shouldn't join Bat Quadrant.  But you are welcome to anyway, and our starbase is pretty nice!

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:03 AM

If you sub you get 500 Zen a month (worth a fiver) a free ship every rank as your character levels up, and a bigger bank balance for when you start raking in zillions. Or not.

Literally the only thing that's worth crafting is the Aegis set, and you can ask one of us and we might do one for you. Its VERY expensive in terms of Dil but its a nice space set.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: December 28, 2012, 07:31:35 AM

I recently made a free account so I could have a couple extra farming toons, and they got free ships up to admiral.  I think they changed that particular restriction of f2p early on.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:15 AM

Aegis set? I am intrigued by possible crafting awesome. My crafter senses are..tingling.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: December 28, 2012, 09:03:27 AM

If you sub you get 500 Zen a month (worth a fiver) a free ship every rank as your character levels up, and a bigger bank balance for when you start raking in zillions. Or not.

Literally the only thing that's worth crafting is the Aegis set, and you can ask one of us and we might do one for you. Its VERY expensive in terms of Dil but its a nice space set.

Man, I'm glad I cranked those out before F2P.  Crafting is terrible now.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:47 AM

Aegis set? I am intrigued by possible crafting awesome. My crafter senses are..tingling.

http://www.stowiki.org/Aegis

It doesnt do the rings all the time, just when it adapts reacts to incoming fire.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:08 AM

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/features-matrix

You don't actually get a huge amount for your subscription right enough.

Hic sunt dracones.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: December 28, 2012, 06:28:52 PM

I have a bunch of temporal lock boxes. What should I do with them? Buy keys or auction the boxes or hang on to them?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: December 28, 2012, 06:40:38 PM

Theres a very nice Airlock you that could use them.

Seriously, if you want to buy a key to open one go ahead, otherwise ditch them. I tend to leave them in mi inventory till they fill up their stack of 20 and then boot them out into vacumn. If you ever want them there will be no hassle finding one.

Finally got to rom level 4 on one of my characters and I have to say I am really not feeling the urge to push it to level 5 at all. I'm pretty sick of grinding the marks so I might leave it for a bit. The Hyper plasma torpedo is kinda interesting though, good in combination with the Rom space set. I found it won't fire at all if you set it for High Yield 2, but Torpedo Spread 3 sends a mass of Plasma balls flying everywhere which is pretty nice.

Hic sunt dracones.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: December 28, 2012, 09:25:10 PM

I FAIL AT GAMEZ

Where's the NPC to turn in the winter Epohh for Romulan Marks? I heard it was on New Romulus, but couldn't find anyone in the Staging Area or the Epohh Fields.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:38 PM

I FAIL AT GAMEZ

Where's the NPC to turn in the winter Epohh for Romulan Marks? I heard it was on New Romulus, but couldn't find anyone in the Staging Area or the Epohh Fields.
It's the GPL converter --there's one at the winter event, on Q's Pavillion

Sir T: I'm just wrapping up T4 on Romulan and Omega (just got IV on Omega and about to on Romulan). I have some 900 Romulan marks banked, pretty much entirely from breeding Winter Epohhs. 200 marks for the Bow or Earmuff Elders, 100 for the regular ones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #432 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:54 AM

I'm trying to get back into this, but...the goofy account linking is a pile of fail, and support has not responded yet.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:42 AM

I am not quite sure what exactly I'm supposed to do. Follow the missions? Try to acquire dil? Make my tiny crewpeople go on missions? Go randomly out into places and do whatever is offered? There's an awful lot of stuff but I'm lacking sort of a general what I'm supposed to be doing rail.

So many currencies. I take it that I don't have to worry about rep until I hit max_level. My ship frustrates me because it's not getting much better at anything. Fortunately it doesn't really need to be better; I only get blown up when I have done those fleet things by Starbase 24.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:48 AM

The star trek servers appear to be run by hamsters today. So sick of the "Server not responding" message.

Xan: Just follow the espisode path, really. Make sure to slot in your new powers when you get them. (Sometimes you can't tell -- you can check by clicking your rank icon on the top left corner, and it says what powers you get when.). the tiny people? View them as a means to free experience and stuff while you aren't playing.

Basically put some on active duty (space and ground) to give you bonuses, and jsut have the rest working on stuff. It's free XP and dilithium and more crewman and whatnot.

And you're supposed to be blown up on fleet actions. :)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: December 29, 2012, 04:00:10 PM

Essentially you can either follow the mission train or fly to planets and if you get a messege "patrol xxxx" hit it and you do a short fun patrol mission. Or go to the nebula sectors and do exploration missions, which can be pretty fun.

And Morat yeah, but I guess I got a kick in the teeth when I saw a blue MkXII reman set would set me back 500 marks and a whopping 18000 dil a peice. Sod that.

I'll probably go back to just playing one character a day and sod the ginding.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:48 PM

Question -- can we do duty officer missions for fleet marks? I've hit level 4 on several now, and have excess points on at least two that I can use to generate fleet marks. I've still got to work up the others, and right now I'm focusing on the Winter Event, but once that's over it'd be nice to generate fleet marks.

Also, how do fleet operational assets work? Are they just summons and buffs for PvE events?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: December 29, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

If you have over 10000 extra commendation po1nts over the max (that is 100000) you can go to a console in the room  where trhe officer of the watch is on the starbase, and do special duff missions where you can sacrivice 10000 commendarion marks for 75 fleet marks. That's where I get most of my fleet marks these days.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:20 PM

If you have over 10000 extra commendation po1nts over the max (that is 100000) you can go to a console in the room  where trhe officer of the watch is on the starbase, and do special duff missions where you can sacrivice 10000 commendarion marks for 75 fleet marks. That's where I get most of my fleet marks these days.
I wonder how you guys manage that. :) I get mine during events and from the dailies.

I've hit 4 on about half of them. Recruitment is taking forever.

Question: If I have a bunch of officer mini-packs and Gamma Quadrant packs, can a Klingon alt open them and use them? Or will they be federation because a federation toon got them?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:53 PM

You can use the other factions toons as sacrifices for starbase projects but you cant use them for doff missions. The starbase has equal opportunity hunger.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: December 29, 2012, 10:07:50 PM

You can use the other factions toons as sacrifices for starbase projects but you cant use them for doff missions. The starbase has equal opportunity hunger.
Well, I'm curious what I get out of unopened boxes. "Standard Duty Mini Officer Packs" and "Gamma Quadrant Officer Mini Pack" and I was wondering if they're automatically set to Klingon or Federation, or whether they're set when you open them.

I have several unopened ones in my account bank. My Fed toon got them, but didn't need them. If my Klingon toon opens them, are they Klingon doffs are Fed doffs?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:53 PM

They will belong to your faction when you open them as far as I know. The Gamma quadrant pack basically spews out Cardasian, Jem'hidar and other dominion style Doffs which can belong to either faction. I would imagine that as long as its not bound to your character and does not have the word Federation in them that you can open them with your klingon just fine.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: December 31, 2012, 08:01:35 AM

I was unsure about being motivated enough to push through to tier 5 romulan rep, and then I found out you get 32k dilithium and 750 marks for getting there.  The cutscene was pretty cool too, even though it kind of ripped off the 'hologram depicting ancient history' thing from Prometheus.  I'm also interested in getting the singularity harness set and mk 12 romulan beams and trying them out on my bortasqu', but the dilithium involved in getting all that is... a lot.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: December 31, 2012, 09:11:27 AM

Rishara, Can I ask you a question cause I has a confoosed. On the singularity Harness it says "+7% Plasma damage" Does that means it inclreases only plasma weapons damage, or that it adds on an extra 7% of plasma damage to everything? Cause you know that has an impact on my builds  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:05 AM

I just went to New Romulus. I have like...T1 through T4 quests there already. T5 will take another week or two. I have the marks already, thankfully.

I'm building up dilthium at the moment. Only got about 50k though. (I do sorta want the Borg Arm Weapon.)
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: December 31, 2012, 11:33:52 AM

Rishathra, Can I ask you a question cause I has a confoosed. On the singularity Harness it says "+7% Plasma damage" Does that means it inclreases only plasma weapons damage, or that it adds on an extra 7% of plasma damage to everything? Cause you know that has an impact on my builds  Ohhhhh, I see.

The singularity harness boosts plasma damage, it does not give you plasma damage.  However, one of the threat control consoles that you can get at the embassy DOES add a plasma proc to your non-plasma weapons.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: December 31, 2012, 12:52:12 PM

So, I have a Breen Starship in a box now. I'm kinda wondering what to do with it.

I'm thinking of just piling on all the Borg and Romulan rep gear on it and using it to, you know, explode things.  I'm flying a science vessel now, and this is more configured for tactical -- and it has a lot of guns.

Or maybe a mine boat? I've never played with mines. I don't think it can mount cannons.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: December 31, 2012, 07:20:09 PM

It can Mount dual cannons AFAIK

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: December 31, 2012, 09:28:23 PM

It can Mount dual cannons AFAIK

Awesome. Then it shall be my ship of almighty limited in arc DEATH!

I did kinda want to screw around with cannons, and I think I just put a semi-decent XII purple in the bank against that.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:38 PM

I've started my own future version of a puppy mill, churning these fuzzy things out to sell to Romulans.  The piles and piles of marks are definitely going to help my progress in Romulan rep.  I always thought that Romulans were hands-down cooler than Klingons in trek, especially the D'deridex class ships from Next Gen; it made me sad that you couldn't get those in STO.  I'll just settle for getting Romulan gear and pray that they never make a lockbox with Romulan ships inside.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:46 PM

I saw a discussion with Branflakes (one of the devs) where he said flat out that there will never be a LB with the DD inside as he wants to leave it for a possible Rom faction. He also said that the Galor should never have been in a lockbox either as it puts limits a Cardassian faction.

By the way, the Bortasque with the Hyperplasma and the Reman set ooozes D'Deridex :D Played around with it a little tonight with that set up and I'm in lurve.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:07:40 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: January 02, 2013, 11:53:05 AM

The Reman shields make any ship into the awesomest rave party EVER.  I kept them even when I vastly outleveled them, just because I love the looks.  Getting the updated Reman shields is one of my goals for farming all this Romulan rep.  I honestly hate the hell out of the Borg set, with the glow only coming off of one engine and weird crap poking out of everything.  Whatever set makes the nacelles purple looks pretty nice, and I'm very happy with the Aegis set that Rish so kindly made for me.  Don't think I've ever noticed the new MACO set on a ship, though I've heard that it has some kind of visual change.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: January 02, 2013, 12:33:48 PM

Yeah, the MACO set makes the ship look all chrome shiney, which is more noticeable on some ship than others. Its actually a very nice effect on things like the Galaxy. It also makes a bubble effect around your ship in sector space.

The purple nacelles is probably the Jem hider set which a which you get from the 2800 missions (and which I suspect will be the next reputation thingie so get them now). I actually kinda like the Borg shield effect on some ships but I rarely like the other effects. As an aside, you do know you can remove the visual effects of a set from the ship character screen, by right clicking on it and selecting "disable visuals"

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:12 PM

I've heard that the Romulan shield has a different effect than the Reman shield, and I'm wondering how much different it is.  Has anyone seen one running around yet?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: January 02, 2013, 02:19:44 PM

So I more or less stopped playing when I reached max level. This was back when the game was still subscription only. I'd like to give it another try, is there any guide on how/what to upgrade ?

What is the endgame at the moment ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  
Jump to: