Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 10:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  (Read 436307 times)
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:12 AM

As for Klingons, I think when Legacy of Romulus hits that whole level restriction thing is going away.
Yep, they've said once LoR hits you can level as any faction from level 1 so I assume that means the whole "get a Fed to level whatever first" bit is going away too.

I came back to the game about a week ago and finally got my Fed Sci captain to 50. I'm slowly working my way up the Romulan rep system (I only do the daily sector patrol and radiation scans as the ground stuff left me cold after a single run through, which is a shame as it's a nice zone). For the Omega rep are my only choices to do those ground missions on Defera or STFs? Which for me means just the ground missions as I'm not in a fleet and PUGs bring me out in a rash.

Also, is there anywhere in particular that has a good chance at some nice purple drops? I want to work towards a Wells so getting something that's worth selling on the exchange would be nice.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:27 AM

Epohh breeding can get you a lot of Romulan marks.  The time spent->reward ratio is very nice.  Two minutes a day, tops.

For Omega rep, you can do Infected-The Conduit Elite.  It's fairly PUG-proof.  Even if you get a bunch of idiots and they blow the optional, the main mission is fail proof and will take you 15 minutes to get 60 marks.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:32 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look at them now.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #563 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:33 AM

Yeah I did The Conduit on normal this weekend and when it was over I had a "Wait, that's it?" moment.

The Romulan one where you free the ships seems to be OK, too. I can imagine it's tougher on Elite since  the ships will be tougher, but it's pretty straightforward in terms of, "kill these guys, hit "F" here, higher point values = better."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: April 08, 2013, 12:28:20 PM

I unpacked the Tholian carrier for one of my characters today, and man, I wish I hadn't waited so long.  The thing is amazing just for the bridge alone.  Seriously.  If you get the chance, go see someone's Tholian bridge.  The new mesh weaver frigates for it are pretty good, as well.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #565 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:39 PM

At this point, I think that and the Jem fighter are the only ones I don't have. And while I'm a fan of the bridges, they need to flesh out the ships more. The Wells bridge is awfully tiny.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: April 08, 2013, 01:55:45 PM

My laziness prefers the small bridges, as it puts everything in that one room, instead of scattering stuff throughout the decks.  It would be cool to see a complete Tholian/Jem'hadar/timeship/Ferengi/Andorian interior though.  If they ended up half as neat as the TOS constitution interior was, it would be worth it.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:42 PM

Yeah, I've had a tholian carrier for a while, and the thing is freaking amazing. It was rock solid even with the tholian fighters which were badass. The Special ability is pretty useless though as the 4 minute cooldown is a joke. I'd toss the console for something else.

Hic sunt dracones.
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:02 AM

Think I've figured out the duty officer thing.  Found a couple places in the Star Fleet Academy to get a few extra every couple days. I didn't know duty officer and bridge officer were different.  Good times. I do have 4 candidates for bridge officer that I cannot get because my "ship is full." Getting the feeling they want some cash to open up more slots?  Or maybe I get more as I level up.

Just hit 20 last night. That's about 4 play sessions. It's going a bit faster than I thought it would.

Rishathra, I'd love an invite if you have room for a new person.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: April 10, 2013, 10:02:08 AM

If you're silver, according to the f2p matrix you get an extra slot at Captain and Rear Admiral Lower Half ranks. Or you can purchase them from the cash shop. It can be worth it to sub for a month while you're leveling a character since you'll get extra BO , inventory and bank slots as you level. Not to mention a free respec at each rank which comes in handy at 50 if you're experimenting with different builds. I can't remember if silver players get the free VA ship token either. From what I remember they didn't but that may have changed.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #570 on: April 10, 2013, 12:43:13 PM

Think I've figured out the duty officer thing.  Found a couple places in the Star Fleet Academy to get a few extra every couple days. I didn't know duty officer and bridge officer were different.  Good times. I do have 4 candidates for bridge officer that I cannot get because my "ship is full." Getting the feeling they want some cash to open up more slots?  Or maybe I get more as I level up.

Just hit 20 last night. That's about 4 play sessions. It's going a bit faster than I thought it would.

Rishathra, I'd love an invite if you have room for a new person.

Boggles my mind that there isn't a good list of all of the places you get them. Look at this, what the fuck?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:38 PM

Raknor, there is plenty of room in Bat Quadrant.  It is after all, an f13 fleet!  I'll need your Name@account to invite you, or send @Rishathra a mail.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: April 11, 2013, 08:22:00 AM

Pess U and you will get a list of the bridge officers you have. And go to the stations tab to place them. You can dismiss some of your current BO's to make room if you want.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29:43 AM

The rejiggered Crystalline Catastrophe came out yesterday.  It is a vast improvement in that you can now complete it.  It's very straightforward now, basically shoot all the things, except when it absorbs, then shoot all the OTHER things.  Worthwhile if you need dilithium, because they are doing a limited time event where if you do one daily 14 times in the next 3 weeks, you get a nice payout.  50k dilithium, 1000 fleet marks, and a space pet.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: April 12, 2013, 07:01:03 PM

Price of dil to zen is rising on the exchange. Seems people, are looking for zen again with the rommies coming.

Price of contraband is going down, seems some people are flooding the market since it was mentioned here.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:05 PM

Want to spend $125 on a bunch of preorder Romulan ships? You can do that.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/legacypack

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: April 18, 2013, 07:13:54 PM

So yeah, D'deridex.  5.5 turn rate.   Facepalm  Definitely not gonna be using that one much.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:42 PM

I still can't access my old Cryptic account even after 4 emails to customer support giving them the account name, email used to create the account, my character's name and even my real name in case they needed to match it with the info on my sub payments. Argh!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 18, 2013, 10:45:44 PM

Closed beta for the Romulans has started on tribble. I got an invite  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They specifically say that there is no NDA I'll let you all know what I think once I get a chance to play it.

Oh and they have a "starter legacy pack" for $19 that gives you a couple of ships, a BOFF and a title. I'll probably pick that one up rather than the "more money than sense" option. (Or course I don't have the sense, I just don't have the money either  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:58:37 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:36 AM

So yeah, D'deridex.  5.5 turn rate.   Facepalm  Definitely not gonna be using that one much.

I knew it was going to be a whale.  What are the other stats?  I'll put up with it if it can still pack a better punch than a galaxy.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: April 19, 2013, 08:07:59 AM

Well it is bigger than a Galaxy. It is slightly more nimble than an Oddessy though. Woohoo

Of course the biggest problem withthe punch of the galaxy is that the balance between cannons and beams is way off in the cannons favour.

And where did you get the stats?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:28:45 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 19, 2013, 09:17:51 AM

If you go to the ship requisition NPC on the flotilla you can check out all the ships. The Romulan Zen ships aren't purchasable yet though  Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh Rishathra thanks again for that Epohh tagging tip! Takes a while to get going but I'm starting to build up a nice pile of marks now.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:52 AM

Yeah there is a bit of a wind up, but once you get going, it is a lot of easy marks.

Edit:  Looks like I got an invite too.  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:43:13 AM by Rishathra »

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 19, 2013, 09:53:53 AM

I've been pretty impressed with it so far, especially the art/zone design (Romulan ship interior is pretty awesome!). Also found the story much more engaging that the Fed or Klink ones. Not a major achievement I know but still nice.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: April 21, 2013, 01:26:55 AM

I agree. I have been seriously impressed. They have obviously done a ton of work getting things right, and the first ship was a lot of fun to play.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: April 21, 2013, 07:42:15 PM

Yeah there is a bit of a wind up, but once you get going, it is a lot of easy marks.

Edit:  Looks like I got an invite too.  Yay!
I haven't figured out how to start that yet, but I still have a giant stack from the Winter Event. Which reminds me, I've got some clothes to throw up on the exchange.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:41 AM

Its fairly eay Moratr. You got to the epoh fields on new rom and go to the epohh fields,. then you team up with a group (ask in zone) and do a mission there where you run after and tag Epoh.s Takes a minute and a half. You need 30 to get 4 tags when even 2 people can get fairly easily. Then you go back to the mission giver and select "help with Epohh Research" which gives you a doff mission that takes those 4 epohhs and gives you back a research token (if the doff mission crits you get 3)

Once you have 5 tokens, you can use them to buy an Epohh Peh. Then you run the ped through 3 "raising Epohh" cycles in another vendor toll you get an elder Epohh, then you can exchange the epohh for 400 Rom marks.

Takes about a week or more, but its by far the least grindy way to get rom marks in the game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:45 AM

I managed to pick up a blue doff with efficient and logical from the exchange for about 135k (think I got lucky) which gives me around 23% crit chance on the research. It actually ended up critting the first 3 or 4 times which got me off to a nice start  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As regards LoR itself, the only thing that's really giving me pause is the ship line-up. With no access to your allies ships at VA that leaves the selection fairly limited. Coupled with the fact that Romulans don't appear to have any science vessels (wtf? If anything I would have expected them to have a slight leaning towards science in the same way that Klingons are more tactical oriented) and it's leaving me a little less enthusiastic about the whole thing.  Although I fully expect a Romulan Lockbox with a faction-specific timeship at, or shortly after, launch since we're locked out of the Mobius and Wells.  But I have a horrible feeling it will be Engineering oriented since Wells = Science and Mobius = Tactical.

But at least they've said they're reviewing the Singularity Core mechanic and the stations on the D'Deridex which is something I guess.  There's no way those Singularity abilities are worth losing 40 overall subsystem power given the current cooldown before you can even start charging the core again.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 22, 2013, 07:13:48 AM

.  Although I fully expect a Romulan Lockbox with a faction-specific timeship at, or shortly after, launch since we're locked out of the Mobius and Wells.  But I have a horrible feeling it will be Engineering oriented since Wells = Science and Mobius = Tactical.

I thought I read somewhere that while the Romulans can't fly the specific ships of the faction they chose, they can use the lockbox ships that that faction can earn. I'll look on the site again but I think that was answered in a QA or FAQ or something.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:24 AM

They can use all the lockbox ships except for the timeships.  They can use the time shuttles of their allied faction.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:16 PM

Its made clear on one of the Dev blogs

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551

Fleet Ships

Romulan Captains with a sufficiently leveled Starbase can gain access to Fleet Retrofit versions of each Warbird type. These ships have increased Hull and Shield Health, as well as an extra Console slot, but do not come with the Consoles that come with the Retrofit versions of the ships. Fleet versions of every Warbird type will be available at the launch of Legacy of Romulus. The tier for unlocking these ships can be found in the ship progression chart below. Also, if you own the Retrofit version of a ship, you'll get a Fleet Ship Module discount when buying the Fleet version, similar to existing ships.

Allied Ships (Updated!)

When a Romulan Captain chooses to ally with the Federation or the Klingon Defense Force, they gain access to a limited number of their ally’s ships. Romulan Captains can obtain Tier 1 through Tier 4 allied ships for Dilithium or in the C-Store, depending on the specific ship. Romulan Captains cannot command, nor purchase/ claim, Tier 5 (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Brigadier General, or Lieutenant General) ships from the faction that they have allied with.

Lock Box and Lobi Store Ships

Star Trek Online STO MMORPG F2P Sc-Fi MMO game Legacy of Romulus

Romulan Captains can use any Lock Box or Lobi store ships that can be used by both the Federation and the Klingon Defense Force, such as the Jem’Hadar Dreadnought Carrier and Tholian Orb Weaver, for example. In addition, they can use any Romulan-specific ships that we add to Lock Boxes or the Lobi Store at a later time.

They cannot use Mirror Universe versions of Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Brigadier General, or Lieutenant General tier ships from the faction that they have allied with. Similarly, they cannot use faction-specific Temporal Ships, such as the Mobius; however, they are capable of using their ally’s Temporal Shuttles, however.

Romulan Captains who open a lock box and receive a reward box containing a ship they cannot use will be unable to open the box, but will be able to trade the box or put it on the exchange.

Romulan Captains will be unable to open lock boxes until they have chosen an allied faction.

1000-Day Veteran Ship

At launch, Romulans will not have a 1000-day Veteran ship available. We are planning to address this as soon as possible.

Ship Progression

The chart below summarizes the ships available at each tier and how they can be obtained.

*Fleet Ships are purchased differently from standard C-Store vessels. Fleet Ships cost both Fleet Credits and Fleet Modules to purchase. The number of Fleet Modules required to purchase varies depending on which other ships you already own. Fleet Modules can be purchased in the C-Store. To purchase a Fleet Ship, you must unlock the appropriate level in your Starbase. A full dev blog on Fleet Ships in general can be found here. http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=621601

**The Ha’apax Advanced Warbird Refit is a version of the Ha’apax that uses Bridge Officer Seating with a Science focus.

As a reminder, all of the information in this blog is subject to change at any time.

More information on upcoming ships, including detailed stats, will be available closer to launch. Keep your eyes on our website for more details. See you in-game!

Hic sunt dracones.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:01 PM

So I'm giving this game a shot.  Haven't done much other than taking a scientist through the tutorial.  Seems fun enough that be playing at least little while.  Logged once I got to Earth.

I know with a free account I'm limited on my resepcs.  Is there a skill in the early going I should be focusing on?  What about crew?

I'm willing to spend few bucks in the store.  Anything there that are "must haves"?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 26, 2013, 01:50:41 PM

So I'm giving this game a shot.  Haven't done much other than taking a scientist through the tutorial.  Seems fun enough that be playing at least little while.  Logged once I got to Earth.

I know with a free account I'm limited on my resepcs.  Is there a skill in the early going I should be focusing on?  What about crew?

I'm willing to spend few bucks in the store.  Anything there that are "must haves"?

I only have one science alt and haven't played it enough to get a good feel. I am sure someone else can help you.

As for 'must haves' from the C-store. That really depends on you and how much money you want to spend. I love buying costume parts and have bought the Odyssey cruiser bundle among a few other premium ships over the years.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: April 26, 2013, 06:37:07 PM

Well, The Liberated Bog Bridge officer is a pretty nice space and ground Officer if you want to buy something, and the Horta is a great ground combat pet. The Atrox Carrier is a great Fed sci ship for max level stuff, but you wont be able to fly it till you hit level 50.

As for training, if you look though your skill tree you will see some of them that say "science captains who have 6 ranks in..." make sure those are all at 6, they are your key powers. Aside from that, don't take anything above 6 ranks until you know what you are doing and probably not even then. This is because of diminishing returns, and every point above 6 does not get you much. I'm a fan of boosting your power and structural skills.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: April 26, 2013, 11:00:05 PM

Well, The Liberated Bog Bridge officer is a pretty nice space and ground Officer if you want to buy something, and the Horta is a great ground combat pet. The Atrox Carrier is a great Fed sci ship for max level stuff, but you wont be able to fly it till you hit level 50.

As for training, if you look though your skill tree you will see some of them that say "science captains who have 6 ranks in..." make sure those are all at 6, they are your key powers. Aside from that, don't take anything above 6 ranks until you know what you are doing and probably not even then. This is because of diminishing returns, and every point above 6 does not get you much. I'm a fan of boosting your power and structural skills.

Is the Horta pet reusable? I thought it was like a few of the others where you'd get, say, 20 of them and then you're done.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  
Jump to: