Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 1.1 Content Preview: Zombies? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.1 Content Preview: Zombies?  (Read 22508 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:06 AM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/rakghouls-and-raging-hutts-with-swtors-gabe-amatangelo/

Or I guess they're calling them Rakghouls.  In any case, a nice preview of the upcoming flashpoint.  Would be interesting to see if they pull this off before February.  I mean, I know they're aiming for Jan 17th, but 'cmon... why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:59:42 AM

"Zombies have been done to death."

On a more serious note I wonder if all the content packs will be level fifty only, better hurry up the leveling.

Edit: You run into the rakghouls on Taris, it is some sort of disease created when the Empire destroyed the planet that can infect people.  Some are force sensitive.

Fake edit on edit:  I don't like all these barely sapient races having force sensitivity, seems like something that only advanced races should have.  Perhaps I'm racist.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:02:49 AM by Miasma »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:59 AM

Was taking a break from the monotony play style, but I think I'm ready to charge through to 50 now.  Already more than halfway there.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:53 AM

On a more serious note I wonder if all the content packs will be level fifty only, better hurry up the leveling.

Fake edit on edit:  I don't like all these barely sapient races having force sensitivity, seems like something that only advanced races should have.  Perhaps I'm racist.
Hurry through the content so you can get to the content for those who hurried through the content?

Fake edit: "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” I guess Ben left off the racism part. The JC (and maybe JK) plots touch on savage races with Force sensitivity. My guess is untutored it would generally lead to the dark side.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:58:26 AM

There is no dark side to the force, it's all marketing.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:44 AM

I'm sure at least the early content releases will focus on level 50, that's where they're currently thinner on content.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:14 PM

First bit of stuff seems to be coming about about the next update.

Rise of the Rakghouls

Link.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:17 PM

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:37 PM

Woops.  awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:35 PM

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:24 PM

Edit: You run into the rakghouls on Taris, it is some sort of disease created when the Empire destroyed the planet that can infect people.  Some are force sensitive.

Fake edit on edit:  I don't like all these barely sapient races having force sensitivity, seems like something that only advanced races should have.  Perhaps I'm racist.

The Rakghoul plague was present before Darth Malak's bombardment of Taris. See: KOTOR 1.  Further EU meddling has led to the Rakghoul plague being a result of Sith Magic (??).

EDIT: It's worse than we thought; they're everywhere!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:28:00 PM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 02:07:57 PM

March, eh? That "One planet a month!" thing didn't last very long.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 02:26:21 PM

Go away, troll.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 02:30:21 PM

I'm not sure anyone beyond sky really expected them to live up to their promises of content creation. Even now they are making promises no one actually believes they'll keep but if people are having fun then who cares. What this does tell me though is that if the new content is already going to be centered around max level, then max level content is all you'll be getting from now on.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:59:00 PM

Well, at least that answers the question of how are they going to make their bosses more interesting than droids and humanoids. On the down side it doesn't look at all like Star Wars in any shape or form.

(also there's quite a t of zombies in this game - Empire Tatooine has zombies as well, although not Rakhghouls).
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 03:39:34 PM

Republic Tatooine has zombies too, Maledict. Probably the same kind!

God Save the Horn Players
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 06:06:07 PM

I'm not sure anyone beyond sky really expected them to live up to their promises of content creation. Even now they are making promises no one actually believes they'll keep but if people are having fun then who cares.

Yes, it is great when devs oversell and underdeliver on their titles. We love being shown one thing and then getting another.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The "if people are having fun" part that is a huge qualifier. Things can turn very quickly when expectations aren't well managed.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:15 AM

New content about to be added less than a month after the official release and there are grumbles that the next content patch (potentially with new BG, dungeon and raid) is going to be added 6-8 weeks later?

Don't ever change guys.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 03:13:21 AM

Interview with James Ohlen at Rock Paper Shotgun (complete with frothing anti-SWTOR/MMO in general comments) hints at what else is expected in March update:

We then have a second update coming in March, and that’s going to be a much bigger update, another flashpoint – part two of Rise of the Rakghouls – and we’re going to have a whole new planet, with a brand new operation and warzone. We’re going to have the second part of the Legacy system, which is the real meat of it. We’re going to have guild banks, PVP ranking systems, and a lot of smaller additions and bug fixes. And we’re already working on the third update. The story’s already written out and being recorded for the fourth, fifth… and I can’t say how many updates we have, but we have a lot. Just to give you an idea of how far we’re planning ahead, we’ve already got voiceover being recorded for content you won’t see for a year or more.

Personally, if they do actually manage to get all that into the update and release it in March, I really don't care that February is a bit of a dry month for new content. (I don't care anyway but that's for other reasons).

Ohlen also hints at the possibility of something akin to WARs public quests being included at some point.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 03:21:28 AM

Yeah, I have no big issue with the first month being dry - but that sounds much more like the amount of content they need in updates to maintain a content centred mmo.

However, adding a necessary snark, who wants to bet against the guild bank being no larger than a player cargo hold?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 04:44:00 AM

I'm still not even cap. I got story stuff to do, companion storylines to do since only Jorgan is over 1000 affection, heroics to probably run and hate, and god willing some raids to try out provided more than 2 groups of goons can organize 8-16 people in a guild of like 400ish active players.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 04:49:52 AM

Honestly, the quality of the content in this game is so vastly superior than any other MMO I have every played (Tortage in AoC comes closest, but still a distant second) that I couldn't give two shits if they don't release anything for the first 6 months.  I have sooooo much to do still, and all of it is awesome.  I might level slower than average, I have no idea, but there is no dearth of content in this game.  Anyone complaining about a lack of new content in February or even March needs their brains punched.

Fake Edit:  Also, yeah, Rakghouls and zombified things are not exactly new to the canon.  A lot of what I see in this game fits quite well with other canon (Bioware created and otherwise), and an uber nerd like me really appreciates it. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:52:59 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:33 AM

Hell, I'd settle for a dry spell in content if they literally dedicated an entire major patch to unfucking the engine, backend, and UI.

SWTOR: Rise of the Playable Client

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:01 AM

Fake Edit:  Also, yeah, Rakghouls and zombified things are not exactly new to the canon.  A lot of what I see in this game fits quite well with other canon (Bioware created and otherwise), and an uber nerd like me really appreciates it. 

Likewise. Although a lot of the KOTOR stuff needs to be spelled out to me as I've forgotten lots of it. I didn't even connect House Ulgo with Trask Ulgo and Darth Bandon totally slipped my mind.

I was surprised to see the Endar Spire on Taris though - thought it had been entirely vaporized at the beginning of KOTOR.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:38 AM

I'm still not even cap. I got story stuff to do, companion storylines to do since only Jorgan is over 1000 affection, heroics to probably run and hate, and god willing some raids to try out provided more than 2 groups of goons can organize 8-16 people in a guild of like 400ish active players.

Well I'm the same, but if they couldn't currently generate content at the rate I would need them to once I am cap, then I'd have serious doubts that they'd be able to do it later.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:33 AM

Interview with James Ohlen at Rock Paper Shotgun (complete with frothing anti-SWTOR/MMO in general comments) hints at what else is expected in March update:

We then have a second update coming in March, and that’s going to be a much bigger update, another flashpoint – part two of Rise of the Rakghouls – and we’re going to have a whole new planet, with a brand new operation and warzone. We’re going to have the second part of the Legacy system, which is the real meat of it. We’re going to have guild banks, PVP ranking systems, and a lot of smaller additions and bug fixes. And we’re already working on the third update. The story’s already written out and being recorded for the fourth, fifth… and I can’t say how many updates we have, but we have a lot. Just to give you an idea of how far we’re planning ahead, we’ve already got voiceover being recorded for content you won’t see for a year or more.

What kinda planet? If it is another Quesh... there will be blood.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:41 AM

Fuck content, i need macros and basic ui fixes.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 07:32:47 AM

The largest selling point for Hero engine is its collaborative tools. You can have 3 ( Random number ) world builders, and 3 quest designers working in the same level file remotely at the same time. Its a wonderious piece of software. Its also, other than audio, why i think you'll see them able to turn out content at a fast pace.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 07:44:27 AM

The largest selling point for Hero engine is its collaborative tools. You can have 3 ( Random number ) world builders, and 3 quest designers working in the same level file remotely at the same time. Its a wonderious piece of software. Its also, other than audio, why i think you'll see them able to turn out content at a fast pace.
Is access to the latest and shiniest code part of the licensing agreement for it is or are you locked to your current version without dropping a bunch of cash?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:51 AM

AFAIK its part of the core suite ( The tools ). Its one of the ground level features. I don't know if source updates are part of the license. I do know BW has source files.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:49:31 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 07:55:58 AM

I was curious if SWTOR was suffering sort of the same problems that games like Vampire: The Masquerade suffered where they were using version 0.shit of the engine (VT:M was literally built on a beta version of source if I recall).

Semi-sorta offtopic, but I'm actually kinda "wow" at their HeroCloud thing.

http://www.heroengine.com/herocloud/

Basically; the engine, tools, and hosting are all free. You get their tech for free, they host your servers for nothing, but when you start selling subs (which they apparently have transaction support for) they take a 30% cut.

Is anyone else in the industry doing this re: middleware?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:12 AM

Hell, I'd settle for a dry spell in content if they literally dedicated an entire major patch to unfucking the engine, backend, and UI.

SWTOR: Rise of the Playable Client

Yep, this is me. Again, low end system, etc, etc but it's not fun to play right now for me with the performance issues.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:39 AM

I don't see that changing suddenly in the near future. 

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 08:46:21 AM

I'm not sure anyone beyond sky
Ohhhhh, I see.

Why are you even posting? Either buy the game or shut your fucking yap, you steaming pile of negativity.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:48 AM

Yeah... I'm no fanboi (half my posts are 'what went wrong' after all  awesome, for real) but I still enjoy this game a lot. Their biggest strength is content, so more of it is a Good Thing.

I also agree with Threash/Fabricated/MA that UI and responsiveness fixes need to be happening ASAP, but those aren't issues you can solve in less than 1-2 months even if you have an army of coders working 24/7, so I'm willing to wait until 1.2 (or maybe even 1.3 if there's a really good reason).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 1.1 Content Preview: Zombies?  
Jump to: