Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 85407 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:33 PM

I think it gave away too much.

How can you know?  evil

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:58 AM

This does look good, although I feel the claim 'most anticipated movie of the year' is a tad bold when you have The Dark Knight Rises coming out in May.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:51 AM

I don't know...
I'm arranging a sitter for Prometheus, and the effects in it make me crave a release of a remastered, extended cut of Alien/Aliens with with the effects redone to match. Hell, the Laserdisc Box set I have with the extended cuts is the only reason I still have the Laserdisc player.

Dark Night Rises, eh. Another Batman movie, and it's a reset to boot.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 07:50:38 AM

I don't think it gave away much of anything.

There's heiroglyphs in space.
There are things with the heiroglyphs.
A space giant is in a chair.
The things with the heiroglyphs are...GOING TO EARTH (hweeee! hweeee! hweeee!!!!)

Note that I'm still excited for this movie, because I know it's tied to the Alien mythos, but I still don't even know if it's a prequel, sequel, or a parallel whatnot.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:21 AM

If you thought that trailer revealed too much, then definitely don't watch the International one....

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:12 AM

Personally, I thought the trailer gave the entire game away.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna go see it.

(though it's possibly because I'm international, looking at Taos post.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:32 PM

My gripe is that personally the greatest thing a movie can offer is an (how shall I word this...) unexpected ride. The Matrix and Inception were amazing not so much for being exceptional movies, both had their flaws, but for the chance to be Alice and jump down the rabbit hole. They allow me to enter their world and partake in a unique, engrossing adventure. Movies like Tropic Thunder or The Avengers are fun distractions to be sure. But a movie like Prometheus offers a chance to jump into an unknown world and go along for a ride.

I'm sure I will still be able to enjoy Prometheus, but I would rather not have had (grammar snake, help me!) the major plot points spelled out for me.

The problem is one of marketing. Inception's trailer spoiled nothing for me. I had no idea what the movie was about even after seeing the trailer. I went on word of mouth recommendation that the movie was awesome. Indeed the movie was an experience like few others, but I would never have seen the movie based on the trailer alone. TBH I was not really hyped about Prometheus. I saw the Aliens films a a kid and they were scary, but that's about all I remember. Sadly, I do remember Resurrection and Vs. spin offs. So while I am displeased that the trailer gave away the farm, it did succeed in pushing the movie onto my must see list as high concept sci-fi, rather than just a prequel to a scary movie I saw as a kid. So, catch-22 I guess?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 12:07:21 AM

I'm grateful to this thread. I haven't seen the trailers, and I'll be avoiding all the info about the film until I've seen it now.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:42 AM

So good.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 10:40:29 AM

I have a feeling the 'plot' of this movie is not really where the good will come from.  If it's in the vein of the original alien, the movie will be a lot more about the characters, suspense and horror than the actual setting or the why and how of what's going on.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:27 AM

I agree.  The second one knows this is a prequel, one is spoiled in some sense.  The movie has to work on other levels to grab people.

I have never played WoW.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11:19 PM

Weyland stock seems to be doing well.

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:39 PM

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:48 PM

So, catch-22 I guess?

Yup. I try not to get spoilerized, (I'm not clicking on any Cabin in the Woods threads until I see it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) but in an age of the interwebz, and everyone knife fighting for the next 15 seconds of my attention, I can't see how they can not spoiler stuff.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:51 AM

"This video contains content from Comcast Entertainment Group, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

Fucking Comcast. What the fuck do they even have to do with Prometheus?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:09 AM

but, it's a trailer for an upcoming movie right? wouldn't they want people to, you know, see it?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 08:03:32 AM

The might be looking to get the ad revenue from people seeing it on their own youtube channel. Also such a channel would have a list of trailers for their other great movies that they would want people to click on.

Hic sunt dracones.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:01 AM

Fucking Comcast. What the fuck do they even have to do with Prometheus?

Comcast now owns NBC Universal, remember?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 08:25:59 AM

Great, comcast is trying to take on youtube the way google took on facebook, I'm sure it'll work out great for them too.  why so serious?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:11 PM

Here's the David trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs7uluwlU

This may not be a popular view but if you make a video and put it on YouTube and someone rips a copy and uploads it to their own channel in an attempt to get hits, I think it's ok to ask YouTube to take it down, whether you're just doing it for fun or you're a megabucks corporation.

Anyway, I think the trailer and the marketing in general has been very entertaining so far.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 06:23:05 PM

Michael Fassbender is fantastic. And it's a great David Bowie impersonation too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:22 PM

I love the early 80's techno vibe to that ad, really great.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:34 PM

Unsub nailed it. He's totally rocking the Thin White Duke vibe.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 06:24:03 AM

New Prometheus trailer out

WARNING,
it's very spoilery, wish I hadn't watched it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1byZkbNB3Jw

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 06:45:58 AM

Michael Fassbender is fantastic. And it's a great David Bowie impersonation too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I noticed the Bowie connection straight away, but he's also channeling another David in his performance. There's a lot of the little boy who wanted to be real from AI in his mannerisms.
I'm certainly sure his name isn't a coincidence.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:04 PM

My gripe is that personally the greatest thing a movie can offer is an (how shall I word this...) unexpected ride. The Matrix and Inception were amazing not so much for being exceptional movies, both had their flaws, but for the chance to be Alice and jump down the rabbit hole. They allow me to enter their world and partake in a unique, engrossing adventure. Movies like Tropic Thunder or The Avengers are fun distractions to be sure. But a movie like Prometheus offers a chance to jump into an unknown world and go along for a ride.

I'm sure I will still be able to enjoy Prometheus, but I would rather not have had (grammar snake, help me!) the major plot points spelled out for me.

The problem is one of marketing. Inception's trailer spoiled nothing for me. I had no idea what the movie was about even after seeing the trailer. I went on word of mouth recommendation that the movie was awesome. Indeed the movie was an experience like few others, but I would never have seen the movie based on the trailer alone. TBH I was not really hyped about Prometheus. I saw the Aliens films a a kid and they were scary, but that's about all I remember. Sadly, I do remember Resurrection and Vs. spin offs. So while I am displeased that the trailer gave away the farm, it did succeed in pushing the movie onto my must see list as high concept sci-fi, rather than just a prequel to a scary movie I saw as a kid. So, catch-22 I guess?

Huh? Inception had a plot?

I thought the trailer was great, and spoiled nothing of note to anyone who was already capable of doing connect the dots for 5 year olds.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:04 PM

Come on guys. Even though technically it's not an Alien prequel since they don't have the Aliens in it, it's the Alien prequel. We know the state of affairs on LV426 when the Nostromo goes there and there's not a lot of extra stuff happening on the planet to account for the crashed dong ship, chest-burst space jockey, etc. Even knowing the exact plot ahead of time I'll happily go see it to enjoy the visuals, story, and genre. And besides, how often do you go see a movie that you don't know what's going to happen? "Omg, The Avengers/Transformers/Whoever saved the earth! It's a twist!"

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:58 PM

It would be with M Night Shlamamamadingdong.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:03 AM

Given the trailers, I'm going to take issue with the 'Doesn't have aliens in it.'.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:06 AM

Apparently, the way they say it's not a direct "Aliens" prequel is that the aliens we see in this one aren't the chest-bursty aliens - they are the superior aliens like the corpse you see in the throne on the egg ship the Nostromo found in the first movie. These are the guys that use the aliens to fuck shit up.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 09:49:37 AM

The "Space Jockey"

Though I'd love to know why the eggs look different than the traditional eggs.  Maybe we'll see why.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 11:59:44 AM

I think this is a reboot not a prequel.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:02 PM

The "Space Jockey"

Though I'd love to know why the eggs look different than the traditional eggs.  Maybe we'll see why.

Lab grown versus feral I would suspect. Evolution man... unless you are in Tenn.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 01:47:39 PM

It has definitely not been produced that way.

beer geek.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 08:20:10 PM

I'm going to use the term "preboot" from now on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: