Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 85394 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

on: December 22, 2011, 09:03:30 AM

Was originally intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien, but Scott decided to turn it into an original film. Some time later however it was confirmed that while the movie will take place in the same universe as Alien, and greatly reference that movie, it will, for the bigger part, be an original movie and not a direct prequel.

First teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_luIM6xaIck&feature=player_embedded

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:18 AM

There's a lot there that LOOKS like Alien.  This doesn't make me as pleased as you'd think.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:13:23 AM

Also, from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/ it looks like is gonna be Noomi Rapace (Lizbeth Salander from the original Swedish versions), not Portman. Also looks like Charlize Theron in a secondary role, which is cool.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:57 AM

The majority of it looks like Alien. Especially when you watch the two trailers back to back. I don't know how this is anything but an Alien prequel, you even see the Space Jockey at the 0.38 mark.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:18:55 AM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:17:09 AM

Yeah, I don't know why they keep insisting it's an original and most definitely not an Alien prequel, like somehow it's a bad thing to make an Alien prequel. I guess the stink of two really shitty Aliens v. Predator movies really doesn't wash off in their minds.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:46:51 AM

The lead writer, Jon Spaihts, has a  DRILLING AND MANLINESS script that you can read online called Shadow 19. It's about a Spaaaaace Marine who is sent on a one-man mission to figure out why a terraforming factory is malfunctioning on a distant planet.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:00 AM

I do not recall reading anything that has said it was not related to alien, in fact its been said a lot that the space jockey is central to it. That does not mean it has Xenomorphs in it however. AFAIK, The space jocky and Xenomorphs have nothing to do with each other, only that the jockey was also a victim.

Perhaps this movie sheds some light on all that.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:13:09 AM

The lead writer, Jon Spaihts, has a  DRILLING AND MANLINESS script that you can read online called Shadow 19. It's about a Spaaaaace Marine who is sent on a one-man mission to figure out why a terraforming factory is malfunctioning on a distant planet.
I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of Dead Space spinoff as a movie.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:32 AM

Pass.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 06:34:29 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a sort of Dead Space spinoff as a movie.

Isn't there a Dead Space animated movie?

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 11:17:11 AM

It was terrible.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:30 PM

I haven't read anything official saying it's not an Alien prequel. I mean, the spacesuits are from Alien, the Space jockey ship is literally the same one from Alien, the Space Jockey and his chair/doohickey are literally the one from Alien, and the plot as I've read it is about the Space Jockey race creating lifeforms (including us) on planets and then for whatever reason engineering the Aliens to wipe them all out. That's why the "egg chamber" in this movie is mechanical with smooth, cylider "eggs". Aliens, Aliens, Aliens, Ridley Scott, Ridley Scott, facehugger, space jockey. It's a fucking Aliens prequel. The best thing they can do isn't to deny it's an Alien prequel, it's to point out that it's made by the guy who made the first Alien movie.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:15:22 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 06:15:11 AM

Alien was the first suspense horror movie I ever saw as a kid and it has stuck with me as a favorite of all time in my list. Therefore, I shall see this movie and marvel in it regardless of suckage. How else can you explain my watching of Alien 3 and Resurrection and not having an aneurism?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:08 PM

I haven't read anything official saying it's not an Alien prequel.

Well I dunno, but the Prometheus trailer text reveal looks like a huge reference to the original.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:10:40 PM

That's a good trailer.  I welcome Ridley Scott back to his universe.  Good looking art design and we get more info on the space jockey!
2012 will be a great year for movies.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 02:00:45 PM

Well I dunno, but the Prometheus trailer text reveal looks like a huge reference to the original.

Yeah it does. That trailer also reminded me: THAT FUCKING CAT

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 08:41:10 AM

My thing is that in the naming - why not call it Alien: Prometheus? Let the teeming masses out there who aren't insatiable sci-fi geeks but do remember the original movies fondly associate this movie with that one in their minds. Then also say "From the fucker that did the first Alien movie, you know the one that scared the shit out of you as a kid" in the trailer. Not linking it with the original just seems like wasted opportunity, even with as bad as the last 5 alien movies have been. You didn't see Robert Rodriguez cutting the Predators reboot off from the original series at all, despite the shitty shit shit shit that was AvP.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 12:33:53 PM

Because the public at large associate the name "alien(s)" with crappy B movie sci-fi now, not with the original.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

My thing is that in the naming - why not call it Alien: Prometheus?

a) The focus very well might not be on the Aliens.
b) The last good Alien movie came out 25 years ago.
c) How many successful prequel movies can you name?
d) Ridley Scott is no longer "the fucker the did the first Alien movie" or even "the guy that did Gladiator and Black Hawk Down".  He's currently "the guy that did that Robin Hood movie in 2010, and a number of other forgettable Russell Crowe movies".
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 05:04:59 PM

A lot of the talk and buzz surrounding the movie is whether or not it's a prequel, how related it is to Alien(s), etc. If it was called Alien: Whatever that would be lost.

Also if the movie doesn't have a lot (or any) actual Aliens in it people would bitterly complain about Alien titling.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 05:30:16 PM

From what I've read (And I'm trying not to spoilerize myself too much) it sounds like a movie that's meant to stand on it's own, and also if you happen to be a fan of Alien, you could say it's a prequel and nothing will directly contradict that.

Which (IMO) sounds a lot more promising than shitting out an intentional Alien prequel.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:07 AM

I am sure most of you have seen the Superbowl trailer.... well, there's a new one without titles, with some extra footage... that has people nerding out over the content.

http://io9.com/5885921/ridley-scotts-latest-prometheus-trailer-cosmic-vistas-melting-faces-half+naked-freakouts

In short, I would say we have a much more direct prequel than we thought we might, while standing totally on it's own. The idea of how this could blow out the fiction of the universe is amazing. Now my most anticipated movie of the year.

Mind you, I'm a god damn huge Alien nerd.

beer geek.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:32 PM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:17 PM

I've heard he only has a cameo in the movie which sucks because I could now watch a movie based purely around this character!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:28 PM

That was pretty damn cool.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 04:30:11 PM

Nice Pierce Brosnan impression.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:47 AM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 10:45:14 AM

So looking forward to this.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:50 AM

Please let this be good!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 11:12:46 AM

That trailer was just fucking ridiculously beyond anything else we call science fiction movies.

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:51 PM

This movie's going to kill me isn't it?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:03 PM

Looks good.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

I dunno, that trailer kind of disappointed me with how much it embraced the standard for this sort of storyline. Which means I'm still going to watch it, but I need to lay off paying attention to any of the other promotional material.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 04:37:42 PM

I think it gave away too much. Kinda wish I had not watched it. Lesson learned.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:31 PM

I think it gave away too much. Kinda wish I had not watched it. Lesson learned.

It did give away a lot, but nothing that a person wouldn't have figured out from the opening premise of the movie and the "evidence" found on LV426 in later movies. There are some inconsistencies that the trailer brings up, but they may be addressed in the movie.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: