Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SPAAAAAAAAAACE! Combat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPAAAAAAAAAACE! Combat  (Read 31618 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 23, 2011, 10:17:21 AM

I've actually leveled up a few times just from doing the space dailies over the last week.  I may not have enough time to get some questing done, but the space dailies are a nice hit to my XP bar.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 23, 2011, 10:19:50 AM

I've actually leveled up a few times just from doing the space dailies over the last week.  I may not have enough time to get some questing done, but the space dailies are a nice hit to my XP bar.

yeah, at the VERY least I try to log in and do the daily space missions. Great $$ and xp for 30 min investment.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:07 AM

Huh.. so they just reskin the same mission between sides then?  I was hoping as a Rebel you'd be trying to save the ship instead of helping to shoot it down as well.

You get a bit of that in that you wind up playing the defense side of Cartel Listening Station/Balosar Outpost in Skaross Fortification/Pakuuni Defense.  But that's about it.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:39 PM

Where are the daily space combat quests? 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 23, 2011, 03:45:45 PM

Ya get them from the intercom in the cockpit for the Smuggler ship (no idea where it is in other ships). Usually has a quest symbol over it.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 23, 2011, 04:41:33 PM

Ya get them from the intercom in the cockpit for the Smuggler ship (no idea where it is in other ships). Usually has a quest symbol over it.

For the Inquisitor, it's right behind the Captain's chair.  I imagine it's the same for everyone, more or less.

If you look at the minimap, there should be the usual triangular 'quest available here' symbol.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 23, 2011, 05:25:52 PM

Speaking of which: given the rails-nature of space combat, are all ships largely the same in terms of manueverability and survivability? Or is the Smuggler ship, say, more agile while the JK ship more tough?

Also, the ship upgrades seem a very linear series from Grade 1 to 5, with the only "choice" being when you choose to craft/buy the mods. Is there any uniqueness to these mods where two ships of the same type can look/act/feel different?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 23, 2011, 06:35:29 PM

It's all cosmetic and linear yes.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 24, 2011, 08:13:53 AM

Cool ok. I enjoy it alot, but it'd be nice if there was some variety.

Say la vee.

:)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #79 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:05 AM

Regarding the scale thing. Go into second life and try building a to scale house.  It just looks wrong. 
This doesn't mean the only answer is to build everything 3x the normal size. Especially for the spaceship part where the "it's MMO!" argument gets pretty weak, considering it's pretty much your own instanced area hardly different from single player game.

There's such thing as "happy medium" and i think ironically enough KotOR managed to hit it earlier with the Ebon Hawk design:

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:22 AM

Yea, plus the "it's MMO" feel fails in the face of WoW anyway.

Ah well. Just another developer making the same decision as every other one that emphasized "massively multiplayer" vs "game". No surprise there.

Just sucks you can't Recall in the damned Coruscant Hangar.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 24, 2011, 01:34:48 PM

These later missions (40+) are kicking me in the balls. I think I need to fill in those empty slots on my ship before I go any further. Is there any source for them besides fleet commendations? The empty slots I'm talking about are the EMP/Photon Cannon weird slots, not the ones available on the generic vendors that are everywhere.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:23 PM

I've looked around a bit it seems like you can only get them from Fleet Commendations.  Definitely pick up the Power Conversion Module if you haven't already.  The Electronic Warfare Pod and EMP aren't bad, but if you're looking to pick up other stuff like the social clothing, they can wait.

The Proton Torpedoes are useful as they let you take out extra bonus objectives.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #83 on: December 24, 2011, 07:26:58 PM

I think I need to fill in those empty slots on my ship before I go any further. Is there any source for them besides fleet commendations?
I don't know if it includes these slots specifically, but the ship modules can be made by crafters (cybertech iirc?) so may be worth to check out the AH for them. Especially since the crafters also get custom module recipes, apparently.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #84 on: December 24, 2011, 08:22:24 PM

These later missions (40+) are kicking me in the balls. I think I need to fill in those empty slots on my ship before I go any further. Is there any source for them besides fleet commendations? The empty slots I'm talking about are the EMP/Photon Cannon weird slots, not the ones available on the generic vendors that are everywhere.

Those appear to only be avail from commendations.  I've been looking for schematics on the market and haven't found any so far. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 25, 2011, 03:49:13 PM

There are some missions at the higher end, where I honestly don't see how you can finish them without that mod that makes you immune for 10 seconds or whatever. You'll just take so much damage so quickly and with not real hope of dodging any of it.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 28, 2011, 11:39:26 PM

I wish at the end it gave you a total of all the enemy ships/turrents/etc and how many you destroyed so that when I rerun them each day there's something different to aim for.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #87 on: December 29, 2011, 01:08:52 AM

Using all class 4 blues, and the 10 sec immunity and power converter, I'm still having trouble with the 40+ space missions. I think they just ramp up the difficulty steeply.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 29, 2011, 04:43:31 AM

I wish at the end it gave you a total of all the enemy ships/turrents/etc and how many you destroyed so that when I rerun them each day there's something different to aim for.
This would be very nice; maybe add in an accuracy percentage, # of shots your ship took, etc. and roll it into a rating or scoring system to limit the repetitive feeling.

I'd also like to add again that I'd like to see a few Star Fox style path branches just to mix things up, including ones that let you leave the mission early if you've completed all the objectives and still have 2m+ on the clock.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 29, 2011, 07:29:32 AM

This part of the game is extremely weak to me. It feels cheep, tacked on, and janky. In fact, it feels worse than some of the games in Clone Wars Adventures. It feels like it should have been included on a joystick/game device.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 29, 2011, 08:00:08 AM

I enjoy it, but the post 40 stuff really can get crazy hard. Or at least two of the missions were crazy.

As much as it's going to get me mauled: I'd totally be down for some form of expansion/high cost/whatever new ships, even if they are essentially statless player housing and a Horse Armor.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 29, 2011, 08:34:00 AM

They've been hinting at that they've been working on some sekret stuff to expand space things in the future.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 29, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

For me personally, I'm not sure why they could do to add to it to make me change my mind. Unless its free roam FPS with multi-user ships. The current game is just so janky.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:19 AM

For me personally, I'm not sure why they could do to add to it to make me change my mind. Unless its free roam FPS with multi-user ships. The current game is just so janky.

You keep saying janky, I have know idea what you mean.

Space combat is a little extra time waster than I find amusing and fun to play from time to time.  I think it's just fine the way it is.  My only thing I would add is more gear variety and ways to get it, and like other haves have said, a way to display accuracy and kill totals etc.  Need some arcade-like leaderboards or someshit.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:45 AM

Ship is twitchy, missiles fire funny, energy gun shots go sideways, you just kind of bounce off things, you can win some by going to get a smoke ..... That's what I mean by janky.

If you are enjoying it, cool. I think its the weakest system in the game. Not even on par with some F2P titles in the same setting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:33:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #95 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:51 AM

Are you channeling Sinij?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:05 AM

Ship is twitchy, missiles fire funny, energy gun shots go sideways, you just kind of bounce off things, you can win some by going to get a smoke ..... That's what I mean by janky.

If you are enjoying it, cool. I think its the weakest system in the game. Not even on par with some F2P titles in the same setting.

Hmm I disagree with all those statements except the blaster thing.  I think they put that in there as sort of an assist so blasters kind of home in on shit.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 29, 2011, 10:59:15 AM

Are you channeling Sinij?

No, its a legit observation. I'm still having fun with the game for the most part. But the space game is weak, as I have said. IMO of course. They likely did put it in as a way to "home" in on things. Does not make it any less retarded. Its even worse in the black talon flashpoint ( Look out the window when you get to the bridge ). The engine is just not set up for anything other than MMORPG combat and effects. Blasters in game bend around corners, so they do in the space game as well. ( Mostly because of the use of billboards that ignore trajectory, a extremely basic engine feature ).  The space game has like, ZERO engine support for it, its all just asset replacement and scripting layer. Even the "light speed" is incredibly hacky.

I would not be surprised if its current form is completely due to the lack of engine layer support for anything other than RPG ground combat. Its akin to the Star trek game, the illusion is just pulled off better in Star trek online.

I would only be channeling Sinij if I irrationally equated "Weakest part of the game" with "Steals your CC info and the entire game is a shitstick because of one thing WARRRRRGGGGG!!!".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:13:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #98 on: December 29, 2011, 11:15:44 AM

I like the space combat so far. It's a fun and easy distraction when I send my crew mates on missions.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #99 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:01 AM

It's fun, nice change of pace. Pew pew with cool scenery.

( Mostly because of the use of billboards that ignore trajectory, a extremely basic engine feature )
Are you the kind of person who gets upset because Luke's lightsaber is off-color in the training scenes?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:54 AM

No, but art and presentation stuff I tend to notice.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #101 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:27 AM

No, but art and presentation stuff I tend to notice.

Ohhhhh, I see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 29, 2011, 11:44:00 AM

They've been hinting at that they've been working on some sekret stuff to expand space things in the future.

Is there any multiplayer space, or is it all single player? I've only done the first batch of missions.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

I've tried to give space combat a chance, but it's barely even a game.  There's literally nothing to it other than hovering your mouse pointer over any targeting circle, no matter how distant (no leading or any skill whatsoever required).  Oh and it ignores LoS so you can shoot right through everything, making it even more braindead.  On the plus side, it's kind of pretty and on rare occasions you sort of have to dodge shit coming at you, although generally everything is slow enough to be trivial.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:55:51 AM by trias_e »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 29, 2011, 12:07:45 PM

Is there any multiplayer space, or is it all single player? I've only done the first batch of missions.

It's essentially a single player mini game as of now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SPAAAAAAAAAACE! Combat  
Jump to: