Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Sell me on your favorite class 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sell me on your favorite class  (Read 43218 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:50 PM

Correct, the more Force you have (i.e percentage of your total) the faster your regen.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 02:48:02 PM

Correct, the more Force you have (i.e percentage of your total) the faster your regen.
So, the less active you are, the more you are given the resource you're encouraged to conserve and use as sparingly as possible. Brilliant.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:19 PM

I think the core semantic issue is that "Shadow" is only slightly more descriptive than "Paladin" in WoW; in other words, it doesn't really tell you much about the character because the ways it can spec are so different. A "Paladin" isn't a healing class, but a "Holy Paladin" is. Same thing here; conversations about classes will always be more confusing unless you're as precise as possible.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

All of the classes are great IMO.  You really can't go wrong in picking any of them.  I played every class to at least lvl 10 and enjoyed them all.  That said, I'll probably be rolling a BH just because I played one in swg and I really loved flamethrowers, missiles, and gadgets available to use in TOR.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:45 PM

And all I'm saying is they DO describe playstyles, and I would say they have a stealth tree or a heal tree. Even in that article the first thing they do is say "and you'll have to spec in these specific trees if you want to heal!"

Otherwise my Vanguard is a ranged class, which would be a false statement. Just as false as saying a WoW hunter is a melee class because shit they have melee attacks right! Describing those abilities!  Beating a Dead Horse

I would disagree with that article in that they list Shadow/Assassin as only a stealth class.  A class can have multiple "Tank/Healing/DPS/Stealth Class" descriptors, and most ACs in SWTOR in fact do.  I would say the line would be drawn at 'Can this class perform X function effectively?  If yes, then it can be considered an X class.'  WoW Hunters and (I'm inferring from your posts) Vanguards cannot perform ranged dps effective, so it would be a misnomer to label them as such.  I've yet to hear anyone suggest that Shadows/Assassins cannot stealth effectively.

I think the core semantic issue is that "Shadow" is only slightly more descriptive than "Paladin" in WoW; in other words, it doesn't really tell you much about the character because the ways it can spec are so different. A "Paladin" isn't a healing class, but a "Holy Paladin" is. Same thing here; conversations about classes will always be more confusing unless you're as precise as possible.

When we get to the point of talking about Kinetic Shadows or Infiltration Shadows as readily as we talk about Protection Paladins and Holy Paladins then this argument about semantics will be largely irrelevant (yes, somehow even more so than it already is).  Since I would assume the vast majority of people looking to play this game don't know enough about the classes to be that familiar with them yet, I think it's misleading to make a statement like "Sages are not a Healing Class" when someone is looking for a class they can heal with.  The whole point of a thread like this is so people can learn what the various ACs can do so they can make an informed decision.  Blanket statements like 'AC X is not a Y class' when that AC can in fact do Y effectively seems counterproductive to me.

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: December 08, 2011, 03:42:22 PM

To be fair, to someone from FoH there is only one true way to roll a class, and everyone else is wrong.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:35 PM

Yeah it's less I'm worried about actually healing in an actual group situation, but more "I have to do my melee shit if I want things to die at a reasonable pace, at least in the early stages before I get a DPS companion." My consular it felt more natural to do my pew pew shit, because it was all ranged casty shit. My IA kept having to run up to people and stab them in the face EVEN THOUGH I HAD A PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL GUN. It just feels doofy.

Melee IA's are nasty in PVP if that's your thing.  So are snipers for that matter.  Super max range behind a large shield... yeah.  Powerful.

I don't give a shit about if it's any good, I have no doubt it is. It feels retarded.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 04:29:23 PM

I'm going to laugh when after all these years of eagerly anticipating Hannah Solo, Sjofn doesn't actually end up playing a Smuggler.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 04:35:54 PM

Kild- The Force Regen isn't variable like Heat/Ammo, it just gets BETTER. More Force More Regen or whatever. At least that's what I've understood from the complaints from the other two healers  why so serious?

This is what I got from the forums as well, as in +force regen speed was a STAT, not that it was variable based on current force levels. I can't find anything besides Draegan in this forum saying it's variable based on current force amount.

Now, what force users DO have is an instant that sacs health for force, which gives you a force regen speed DEBUFF for a few seconds after using it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 04:38:04 PM

Your terminology is confusing, Kild. I think what you mean to say is that your regen rate is based on your maximum force total? That is what I take away from Fordel's post anyway?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:57 PM

Trying to clarify:

There is, supposedly from some forum posts, a gear stat called +force regen that alters your mana regen speed in the endgame. This is meaningless to the rest of the post, but I think it's what Fordel meant by "it gets better"

However, unlike Smugglers/Troopers (who regain slower the less resource they have), a Force user at 1 force and one at 499 force both regen at the same base 8 force/second speed.

Fordel seems to be confirming that as true, and Draegan is saying it works the other way (a force user with 1 force will regen at 1/second while one at 499 regens at 8/second for example)

I'm CONFUSED.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #81 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

I'm going to laugh when after all these years of eagerly anticipating Hannah Solo, Sjofn doesn't actually end up playing a Smuggler.

Nah, I'll probably just be a greedy gunslinger instead of a scoundrel. But she's probably going to be like my hunter in WoW. Class I play a lot solo, but never in our groups because HALP NEED HEALER. I actually like the consular, though, instead of having an abusive relationship with it like I did with the paladin.  why so serious?

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 05:05:16 PM

Fuck, I am totally playing a bounty hunter just for the jawa. Eventually.

SMUGGLER FIRST THOUGH, MY LOVE IS TRUE.

I faced and embraced my inner altoholic. I will have 16 characters. One for each AC on each side. 8 Republic toons on one server to play with my homies, and 8 Empire on a server to be determined...

But I'm set to give time first to my Jedi Knight and BH -- or maybe IA -- or SI.  And after that video in the other thread I think I'll need my two-handed lightsaber SW as well.

Sigh.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #83 on: December 08, 2011, 05:11:59 PM

People WHINED and PLEADED for me to finally break down and have both sides on one server so Slap in the Force and Bat Country could be ADVERSARIES, but I am sort of annoyed I won't be able to have, say, two consulars of different ACs (<barely manages to stop herself from starting up a no-switching-AC-rant again>) on the same server.  Heartbreak

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 08, 2011, 05:13:41 PM

You can get another account  why so serious?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #85 on: December 08, 2011, 05:14:32 PM

Psht, fuck that. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. I've never had more than one account for a game, and I never will. :P

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:20 PM

Once Bat Country inevitably collapses you can just delete or transfer your Empire characters to another server to make room.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 08, 2011, 05:24:11 PM

Maybe they'll offer more slots as a microtrans.  "Buy eight character slots and get a Sparkle Speeder!"

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:28 PM

The Bat Country collapse plan is what I'm anticipating yes.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 08, 2011, 05:41:35 PM

We are hedging against BC futures?  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 08, 2011, 05:43:28 PM

400 pages...  More epic threads than SWG...

This might be the one game where BC thrives.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #91 on: December 08, 2011, 05:48:19 PM

BC doesn't officially collapse until I tire of talking to myself alone in guild chat at night.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #92 on: December 08, 2011, 05:52:32 PM

400 pages...  More epic threads than SWG...

There could be enough of us finally in one spot at launch thanks to the pre-release guild stuff, yeah. BC wow mk. 1 (Burning Region)  didn't happen until just before the first expansion, IIRC

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 08, 2011, 06:18:54 PM

We are hedging against BC futures?  why so serious?

That is the safest investment EVER.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:31 PM

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 07:43:11 PM

I have a bad feeling about this...

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #96 on: December 08, 2011, 07:48:34 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #97 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:57 PM

After poking around I had decided on playing a Sith - Sorcerer with a focus on healing maybe a dps build for lvling then switch to healing/CC for endgame pvp... but it looks like every douchebucket and their cousin is making a lightning Sorcerer, so not really sure what to do.  Basically I am trying to relive my DAOC Midgard Healer/ LOTRO - Defiler characters..

any input welcome.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:39 PM

Well one more Sorc isn't going to make a difference when they are already probably going to be 1/3 of the total Sith population.   why so serious?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #99 on: December 08, 2011, 08:01:06 PM

Might I suggest a Sith Juggernaut? You will be wildly popular.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 08, 2011, 09:41:46 PM

Might I suggest a Sith Juggernaut? You will be wildly popular.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sith warriors in general feel very satisfying to play.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:37 PM

So who here is our "Endie?"  'Cause that's the only way the guild stays active.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #102 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:08 PM

Not it!

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:01 AM

To be fair, she hasn't posted a 5-page recruitment post yet.  But just wait.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:09 AM

We don't need a five page recruitment thread.

Bat Country: Star Wars and a neener bunny.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Sell me on your favorite class  
Jump to: