Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  (Read 58761 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 06, 2011, 10:26:23 AM

My favourite part is this:

...in a very short time, you will all be able to test this on the live servers

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:29 AM

That actually sounds cool, but it really isn’t. Letting players extract the armoring mod from the purple items would trivialize end game gear progression and stop rewarding successful and dedicated players for their efforts.

This is what gets me. How does it trivialize gear progression? You still have to fight the boss and loot the gear; all you are doing is transferring its stats onto something that looks different. Plus extracted mods are BoP, so it's not like you can pass them around to people or sell them on the AH either.

And if the only raid-level mods you can get on their own are Armorings and Hilts/Barrels, then you still have to get the raid gear to pull out the other mods.

It still smacks of butthurt artists to me.

Edit: I mean, I get the part about "farming boots" for stuff, but it just seems like such a minor thing in the long run.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:00:09 AM by koro »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:36 AM

Why not just makes mod item-class specific?  This avoids the "farming the first boss problem."

They covered that earlier, there were just too many different mods then.

I have no problem with this solution, they're dropping mods for the people who want to use their old item, they have the epic type items for people who'd rather do that. Everyone should be satisfied.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:30 AM

I'm somewhat mollified that they had an actual problem to worry about.   I'm not so thrilled with their solution of course.   We better be able to buy the mods with badges or something simple like that.   I'm glad we got to keep mods though instead of getting an appearance tab.   Mods feel like I'm using an actual item instead of just picking a costume CoH style.  I would of supported having both options of course.

This is what gets me. How does it trivialize gear progression?

It's like this.   Armor mods just had a simple "rating" and you could put them in ANY piece of armor to get full stats.   Which means you could get an entire suit of raid gear probably really fast since every single piece of gear that dropped would be equivalent to a piece you needed.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:22 AM

Why not just makes mod item-class specific?  This avoids the "farming the first boss problem."

They covered that earlier, there were just too many different mods then.

I don't know if anyone here tried crafting on the first beta weekend, but there was a shit load of crafting mods.  I mean like close to 8 similar mods, of the same type, with just points that were barely different.  Not only that but you got new recipes for these same mods after a few more levels.  I like the new system as he has it stated, and at least they are going to tweak it a bit more.   
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:36 AM

"- Item modding can now be done anywhere at anytime. No workbench required."

Wasnt the station only needed to remove a mod and not lose it? 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 06, 2011, 11:30:49 AM

"- Item modding can now be done anywhere at anytime. No workbench required."

Wasnt the station only needed to remove a mod and not lose it? 

I don't even know, I never had to use the station.  I don't see losing the station as a big deal, if it remained being required, it would have been bitched about enough that it would have gone away eventually.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 06, 2011, 11:34:48 AM

And color.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 06, 2011, 11:36:26 AM

Essentially you need to create a system where killing the last boss in a raid zone is more rewarding than killing the first one.  Higher rewards for higher difficulty.

You need to keep the number of mods down, so you can't have:  Armor Mod Glove, Armor Mod Chest, Armor Mod Boot, Armor Mod Chest etc.  You need to just have Armor Mod.

This is essentially the only solution.  I can't think of a different way of doing things.  Perhaps each boss will drop Gear of type X Stats and Mods of type X Stats so you get the best of both worlds.  Hopefully they drop more mods than gear.

I also don't know how the loot system works.  How much loot drops etc.

There is going to be massive flexibility with the raids/operations as well.  3 different difficulty modes of both 8 and 16 man versions.  Hell 8 Man is essentially 1.5 groups at this point in our MMORPG terminology.  I've hear the the lowest level difficulty ratings are very easy, and I can quote the end-game dev that each operation should take 2-4 hours to clear on easy mode.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:12 AM

I've hear the the lowest level difficulty ratings are very easy, and I can quote the end-game dev that each operation should take 2-4 hours to clear on easy mode.

Love Letters

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:34 AM

So I can run the level 50 zone with my friend at level 12 and mod my gear to insane levels?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 06, 2011, 11:39:43 AM

So I can run the level 50 zone with my friend in level 12 gear and mod my gear to insane levels?

Fixed, and essentially, yes.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:25 AM

Mods have level requirements don't they?  Otherwise you could just deck out an alt on crafted level 50 mods.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 06, 2011, 11:49:07 AM

Yes, they have level reqs.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:38 AM

I would of would HAVE supported
Get off my lawn!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 12:07:29 PM

The issue I have is the reasoning doesn't make sense to me.  "We don't want people farming boots" followed by "we will be adding mods to raid drops."

Isn't pulling the mod out of the boot functionally the exact same thing as adding a mod drop?  This implies to me that mod drops are going to be rare to the point that it will not be realistic for a single person to upgrade via mods, meaning everyone who raids is going to look the same anyway.  If they do have a high mod drop rate then there would be no reason not to let us deconstruct boots. 

I imagine the loot arguments over epic mods are going to be pretty intense, with many guilds using early mod drops to beef up tanks to make later content easier.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.  Just add an appearance tab and be done with it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:57 PM

To me the implication is simply that the mod drops will be spread through the bosses like the regular ones. Result being, you can't simply farm the first easy boss for all your needs.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:51 PM

It feels like mods were originally supposed to be SWTOR's version of WoW's jewelcrafting, but somewhere along the way it started resembling an appearance customization system, and now they can't figure out which one they want it to be or a way for it to be both.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 06, 2011, 12:14:32 PM

To me the implication is simply that the mod drops will be spread through the bosses like the regular ones. Result being, you can't simply farm the first easy boss for all your needs.

Like every other game.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #89 on: December 06, 2011, 12:27:49 PM

Game is not even released yet and I am already getting a bitter taste in my mouth.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Let me guess what's next, new armor models with bigger shoulders!

edit: spelling/proper space bar use.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:48:33 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:09 PM

But that doesn't make any sense if we are using mods for gear appearance customization.  The only mods we are really talking about here are base mods (armor and dps mods).  So I guess they will just make these mods drop from end bosses only.

Maybe what they are doing is letting folks get access to "better mods" that are locked in a particular item type earlier in the progression and then later in progression allowing those mods to drop so you can freely customize gear?

That kind of makes sense I suppose.  But it just means you will have to look a bit wonky until you get the end boss on farm status and can start farming those mods for vanity reasons.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:08 PM

It feels like mods were originally supposed to be SWTOR's version of WoW's jewelcrafting, but somewhere along the way it started resembling an appearance customization system, and now they can't figure out which one they want it to be or a way for it to be both.

They seem to clearly want it to be an appearance customization thing, but without wrecking the system by having 8,000 mods for various slots or making endgame content silly trivial.

I kind of like it when explained, as long as the epic damage/armor mods aren't rare as shit.

And the last stress test weekend we were all in, mods could be added/removed without a workbench. So that's been in, and is really nice.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 06, 2011, 12:47:16 PM

So I guess they will just make these mods drop from end bosses only.

They could also let you buy them with badges.  You could still get the whole set from the first boss that way but it would take forever.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #93 on: December 06, 2011, 01:33:05 PM

I've hear the the lowest level difficulty ratings are very easy, and I can quote the end-game dev that each operation should take 2-4 hours to clear on easy mode.
4 hours isn't what I'd call casual.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:38 PM

Assuming week-long lockouts that's in the 'casual raider' zone. 2 nights of 2 hours isn't exactly catass territory. And that's the high end as described.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 06, 2011, 01:36:25 PM

4 hours isn't what I'd call casual.

I dunno 4 hours a week to raid isn't horrible.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #96 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:12 PM

How many operations are there? 4 hours each is actually quite a lot if there are say 3, and thats on "farm" status.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 06, 2011, 01:56:35 PM

Presumably at the casual level we aren't going to be falling all over ourselves to do every raid every week.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 06, 2011, 02:16:27 PM

The most important answer we need is - are there decent light armour pants for Sith Assassins to wear that can be modded so they don't end up running around the place in a skirt all the time?

This is important because god DAMN those robes/dresses look terrible.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:30 PM

And I honestly can't imagine repeating any raid more than a couple of times unless it is to help someone out or see alternate outcomes.

The entire concept of endlessly repeating content in supposedly story based game is fucking retarded. (as opposed to a normal mmog where it just absurd)

Shit like daily quests can fuck right off.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #100 on: December 06, 2011, 02:30:11 PM

This is important because god DAMN those robes/dresses look terrible.
Banking all my hope on one of the consular screenshots that has her wearing pants, and that "Hope" trailer. (the title suddenly gets a new meaning)

Because yes, horrible swamp poop
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 06, 2011, 02:40:36 PM

Seen a bunch of videos with assassins looking like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzLHyvpuPs

so I imagine we're ok.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 06, 2011, 02:54:25 PM

The Butt Capes!

Trooper armor uses those.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #103 on: December 06, 2011, 03:40:56 PM

I dunno 4 hours a week to raid isn't horrible.
Ohhhhh, I see. 4 hours in one sitting is.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 06, 2011, 03:51:13 PM

Whose doing that in one sitting though?

The weird thing for me about the Mod system, is how items without mod slots become virtually useless to me. Might as well be grey vendor trash items. I used to just toss them all onto the AH every time I went back to train, but since they moved those off the planets, they literaly ARE just vendor trash now.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  
Jump to: