Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  (Read 57873 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #105 on: December 06, 2011, 03:51:34 PM

The most important answer we need is - are there decent light armour pants for Sith Assassins to wear that can be modded so they don't end up running around the place in a skirt all the time?

This is important because god DAMN those robes/dresses look terrible.

Man, I could not possibly disagree more. SWTOR is like the first game where I LIKE the robes.

God Save the Horn Players
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #106 on: December 06, 2011, 04:49:05 PM

It's the horrible "a simple tube, magically shrinking and expanding to match the leg animation" effect like in 10+ year old games that gets me :/
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #107 on: December 06, 2011, 04:50:21 PM

All my robes flared plenty when they were at rest? Maybe they look shittier on ladies, I dunno, but all my dudes looked perfectly normal. As normal as dudes in robes can look, anyway.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 06, 2011, 05:11:00 PM

I'm going by how it looks on a guy, in their preview page: http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/jedi-consular

i dunno, it's just... bad. You have the cape react to movement and all, but the robe just stays welded to the limbs, completely artificial and not how you'd expect it to behave during such actions. There's no splits or anything in the design either, it just all stretches and shrinks like some sort of weird spandex.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #109 on: December 06, 2011, 05:14:18 PM

You can do operations in multiple sessions? That's cool. I haven't raided since EQ2, for Rift expert dungeons and raid rifts/events we just powered through.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #110 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:33 PM

That's the assumption (how it works in WoW, so probably a safe assumption...)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #111 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:51 PM

When he stands, his robe barely compresses at all. When my consular was just standing around doing nothing, the robe was still about as flared as it gets when he's fighting. No, it's not perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as I've seen, which is why I usually hate robes.

EDIT: Looking at the lady inquisitor's page, though, yes, it looks way worse on the women.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:19:35 PM by Sjofn »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #112 on: December 06, 2011, 05:19:04 PM

I think it is the way it bends and follows the knee/lower leg (especially in back) that makes it irritating.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 06, 2011, 05:20:38 PM

That's the assumption (how it works in WoW, so probably a safe assumption...)

There's a whole enormous UI page devoted to dungeon and raid lockouts for you and anyone you are grouped with and anyone in the guild.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:26 PM

So it looks different in the game than in that preview? I was avoiding the game footage so i wouldn't spoil too much stuff for myself, so wouldn't know... gonna see what it's like after launch then, maybe it's not as bad.

Still, prefer the pants. They had them in KoTOR and it was fine there, hoping SWTOR has at least some as well.

edit: and Ingmar could be right about the leg bend thing -- that's what makes it most obvious to me it's just lazily animated tube mesh.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:30 PM

Having read the full thing, and having a lot of experience with the mod system, I can say this will be fine.  You can go with the dropped piece, or you can extract some of the mods and get the rest through Operations.  It'll take a little more work to get a custom piece fully upgraded, but on the other hand you can strip unneeded and unwanted pieces for mods to put in other gear.

Having orange recipes drop through Underworld Trading is awesome.

It receives my seal of approval.  From someone who has been pretty critical of the game.

They can't do a class breakdown because there are already thousands of mods.  There are green, blue, and purple versions of each rank.  Any given rank has several variants for different primary stats.  There will be... plenty.

It's like this.   Armor mods just had a simple "rating" and you could put them in ANY piece of armor to get full stats.   Which means you could get an entire suit of raid gear probably really fast since every single piece of gear that dropped would be equivalent to a piece you needed.
Every mod has a rating.  The item becomes the level of the highest mod.  (Three or four depending upon item, potentially more with a critical craft success.  Dunno if orange items gain this benefit.)  The armor mods just give the item... armor.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #116 on: December 06, 2011, 05:35:38 PM

edit: and Ingmar could be right about the leg bend thing -- that's what makes it most obvious to me it's just lazily animated tube mesh.

On the consular at least, in addition to your robe, you often have a butt-cape, so it's pretty easy to tune out completely (plus I think there are indeed pants options too). Unless you make a habit of watching yourself fight from the side or something, I guess.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 06, 2011, 05:42:51 PM

You silly people and your classes with robes!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: December 06, 2011, 06:02:33 PM

Game is not even released yet and I am already getting a bitter taste in my mouth.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Let me guess what's next, new armor models with bigger shoulders!

edit: spelling/proper space bar use.

How do you get through your daily life without just cutting yourself?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:36 PM

I've hear the the lowest level difficulty ratings are very easy, and I can quote the end-game dev that each operation should take 2-4 hours to clear on easy mode.
4 hours isn't what I'd call casual.

It's the same length as a football game + the run to the store to get some beer.  That's pretty casual to me.

Edit:
Yeah, it's a lock out system.  You ahve 7 days to do those 4 hours.  And there are only like 5? 6? bosses per operation.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:05:31 PM by Draegan »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #120 on: December 06, 2011, 06:04:13 PM

Game is not even released yet and I am already getting a bitter taste in my mouth.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Facepalm

Really man?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:45 PM

Facepalm

Really man?

You're the one getting a bitter taste in your mouth because you can't de-mod every part of raid-loot that you're most likely not even going to attempt to get.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #122 on: December 06, 2011, 07:10:03 PM

It's the same length as a football game + the run to the store to get some beer.  That's pretty casual to me.

Edit:
Yeah, it's a lock out system.  You ahve 7 days to do those 4 hours.  And there are only like 5? 6? bosses per operation.
I like that you can do them over a couple nights, that's really good news :)

I'll still stick to my point about long multiplayer sessions, though. Would a raid put up with me taking 15 minutes to run to the store for more beer? Would a football crowd coordinate bathroom trips or pause the game every time someone leaves the room? How will my dps meter look if I'm eating wings through the first two bosses?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:06 PM

How will my dps meter look if I'm eating wings through the first two bosses?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Saucy.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:23 PM

All my robes flared plenty when they were at rest? Maybe they look shittier on ladies, I dunno, but all my dudes looked perfectly normal. As normal as dudes in robes can look, anyway.

I wouldn't mind if they were robes - but they aren't . For some reason in MMOs robes have become skirts. Robes are a one piece item like Obi-wan wore in the original film. What we have are skirts - and very badly animated ones at that. Looks more like a Victorian school teachers dress thana robe.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:33 AM

Whose doing that in one sitting though?
Getting the exact same group to show up twice a week is an exercise in futility for most people.   I am encouraged that they say the lockouts are flexible though.   If that holds true for hard modes then they'll be one step ahead of WoW.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: December 07, 2011, 12:29:06 AM

Who needs the exact same group every day? Why are we discussing raid lockouts here? I'm confused.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:14 AM

Who needs the exact same group every day?

Try getting casuals to do harder bosses if they have to give up their loot chances on the easier ones.   Basically in some groups you can't get anyone to come if the easy bosses are already dead. 
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:24 AM

I don't think that's a problem as long as what Draegan said about it being very easy is accurate. I'd love for the easy mode to be so easy that a full group of competent people come out of it saying "what the fuck was that?" and move on to the higher difficulty modes.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #129 on: December 07, 2011, 04:12:00 AM

I'll still stick to my point about long multiplayer sessions, though. Would a raid put up with me taking 15 minutes to run to the store for more beer? Would a football crowd coordinate bathroom trips or pause the game every time someone leaves the room? How will my dps meter look if I'm eating wings through the first two bosses?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

We've had this discussion before. It's a team sport, or a band gig to get to something you'll relate to better.  How would you feel if the drummer were doing that in the middle of a practice session or gig?  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: December 07, 2011, 04:25:07 AM

I'm pretty sure Sky's point is that for exactly that reason, raids should not be 4 hours long.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #131 on: December 07, 2011, 06:58:35 AM

Big post on the official forums explaining all the changes to the modding system. Highlights seem to be that they made "moddable" items a completely seperate color, and made mods removeable. They also explain the changes to Artifact gear and why (keep people from just farming the first boss never needing to fight through to the end boss).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:05 AM

Edit:
I like that you can do them over a couple nights, that's really good news :)

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Depends on your friends!  I've been in plenty of raids where we take 10-20 minute breaks for various reasons.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:37 AM

Reposting wall of text from two pages ago

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: December 07, 2011, 07:07:35 AM

I'm pretty sure Sky's point is that for exactly that reason, raids should not be 4 hours long.

Why is four hours too long for something that is supposed to be weekly content?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 07, 2011, 07:08:58 AM

Though since these raids are effectively divided into discrete smaller chunks (by including multiple bosses/objectives tackled one by one) and can be paused/resumed on each such 'checkpoint' doesn't that mean these raids only last 4 hours in single sitting if you want them to? Otherwise easily becoming 30-60 minute long bits if that's more to your liking?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 07, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

Does anyone know how they are going to do lockouts for harder difficulty content?  If it's a per boss thing I could not care less about the length of the raid.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #137 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:12 AM

Reposting wall of text from two pages ago

Apparently I assumed that I had read the thread through yesterday when clearly I hadn't. Also, I blame it on two pages of debating the bendiness of robes.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 07, 2011, 08:17:21 AM

Though since these raids are effectively divided into discrete smaller chunks (by including multiple bosses/objectives tackled one by one) and can be paused/resumed on each such 'checkpoint' doesn't that mean these raids only last 4 hours in single sitting if you want them to? Otherwise easily becoming 30-60 minute long bits if that's more to your liking?

I guess the key is what does "paused" mean.

If they mean the raid leader can form up another group and carry on whenever then sure, that seems reasonable.

If they mean like CoX where no new members can join once the team starts and once in noone can run another mission of any sort until they drop out, then clearly that isn't much use.

I assume it actually sits between the two?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 07, 2011, 08:20:01 AM

I assume it mimics WoW why so serious?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  
Jump to: