Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 195601 times)
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: December 17, 2011, 03:26:16 AM

I'm also playing this since they sent me an early access invite and the extended grace period means I'll actually get some time with the game before they kick me out for not paying anything. Thanks guys!

I'd echo that what I played of the jedi knight story in the beta was pretty boring. Maybe it gets better, but your impression of the early story doesn't seem strange. I'm playing a Smuggler right now because they're the only non-jedi class that can be Twi'lek on the republic side. The storyline is 10x better than any of the other ones I tried during beta (which is just about all of them).

It's sort of weird that the game tells you to pick one specialization for the life of your character, but really gives you very little information about what that specialization will play like. You get a couple lines of description and then you can check the talent trees, but they're largely referencing abilities and mechanics you don't know about yet.

I also deleted my companion's cosmetic armor kit by accident. I dragged it onto his paper doll and read the "are you sure you want to delete this?" as "are you sure you want to equip this?". Doh.

I'm clicking with the game much better now that I'm playing a race I like and a class with an interesting storyline. I still wish there were more options for races though. You see some really interesting ones available for companions, but not for players. I'm still going to wait a bit before picking it up probably, but I'm having fun for now.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1156 on: December 17, 2011, 04:51:52 AM

I asked this a few weeks ago and got told to wait:  do things pick up after lvls 5, 10, 15, what not?  Do they tie complexity and progression like LotRO?  So you get more interesting skills at higher levels?   

No.

Here's what I've come to realize. LOTRO tells a really interesting, engaging storyline in a very drab way. SWTOR tells mostly drab, uninteresting, predictable stories in a novel way.

The classes are... mostly uninteresting. There's nothing that breaks the mold here or takes the chance and the fourth mini-pillar (support) is missing entirely, just like in WoW.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1157 on: December 17, 2011, 07:52:56 AM

I haven't done any research on who gets what companions so when my Imperial Agent got off the starter planet and met inquisitors I assumed these walking mutants I started seeing were some sort of enemy.  That's a pretty odd companion.

I'm also playing this since they sent me an early access invite and the extended grace period means I'll actually get some time with the game before they kick me out for not paying anything. Thanks guys!

I'd echo that what I played of the jedi knight story in the beta was pretty boring. Maybe it gets better, but your impression of the early story doesn't seem strange. I'm playing a Smuggler right now because they're the only non-jedi class that can be Twi'lek on the republic side. The storyline is 10x better than any of the other ones I tried during beta (which is just about all of them).

It's sort of weird that the game tells you to pick one specialization for the life of your character, but really gives you very little information about what that specialization will play like. You get a couple lines of description and then you can check the talent trees, but they're largely referencing abilities and mechanics you don't know about yet.

I also deleted my companion's cosmetic armor kit by accident. I dragged it onto his paper doll and read the "are you sure you want to delete this?" as "are you sure you want to equip this?". Doh.

I'm clicking with the game much better now that I'm playing a race I like and a class with an interesting storyline. I still wish there were more options for races though. You see some really interesting ones available for companions, but not for players. I'm still going to wait a bit before picking it up probably, but I'm having fun for now.
Rokal please continue to play swtor, these people need the same highly respected wisdom that you unleash on the WoW boards here.  In fact I think you should dedicate yourself entirely to swtor and stop posting about WoW.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1158 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:01 PM

:p
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: