Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329565 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:07 PM

So I thought there ought to be a thread for shit that we might like to talk about but probably don't need a thread, e.g. golf, tennis, cycling, etc. 

My entry into this is a dude that is an unbelievable sprinter yet has no legs.  He uses prostheses on both legs but is beating folks that are "fully functional" in races. 

Pretty goddamned amazing

I find it interesting that there is actual debate about whether the guy with no fucking legs has a competitive advantage.   awesome, for real  I guess it is possible, in theory, but the dude has NO FUCKING LEGS. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:28:10 PM

He has no knees/ calves. he's got thigs.  So it's not "no legs" so much as "incomplete legs."

I'd also agree he's got a competitive advantage.  He's more lightweight and his prosthesis have much more spring to them to help with propulsion. 

At this point he's a cyborg. If we're going to let cyborgs compete then bring it on.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:28:06 PM

Like I said, I suppose he could theoretically have an advantage.  I say let the guy compete anyway, regardless.  Heck, if a guy with nothing from the knee down can win against the big guys let him do it.  It would be great to watch. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:10:32 PM

Presumably he could win if he got to drive a rocket powered wheelchair, too.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:10:44 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:50 PM

For fuck's sake.  That's just insane.  I wonder how long until  he is on the national team?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:00 AM

It's getting the kid a good education and out of poverty.  If it serves no other good, I'd say it's a wonderful thing. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:19:12 AM

It's getting the kid a good education and out of poverty.  If it serves no other good, I'd say it's a wonderful thing. 

Without turning this into a political discussion, there is a lot more that Real Madrid could do to help kids out.  They have no other motives than selfish gambling.   
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:23 AM

They have no other motives than selfish gambling.   

I know this.  Still, the kid is getting financial backing.  That's a start.  It's not much different than Hollywood bankrolling some kid and then dumping them like a rock when they hit puberty. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:14 AM

I'm not sure he was actually in poverty, but I think the story is actually most interesting because of what it shows about how basically everywhere not the US handles the amateur/professional athlete split.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:25 AM

Well here we don't really have a split.  At least at OSU, Oregon, USC, etc. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:19 AM

I'm not sure he was actually in poverty, but I think the story is actually most interesting because of what it shows about how basically everywhere not the US handles the amateur/professional athlete split.
Whats the difference exactly?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:41 AM

Here we pretend that there's some sort of selfless nobility in amateur athletics, expect our young athletes to turn their noses up at crass materialism and ignore the money flying around them in huge amounts, and then act shocked when they get paid under the table. Everywhere else things are straightforward and relatively honest, it seems.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

You're right, Ingmar.  I think that is a good point. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:51 PM

So Tiger Woods is stinking it up at the PGA tour.  This is a far out theory, but I think that it is highly likely that he was doping with HgH or steroids or something prior to this deal with his divorce.  Since then he has been perpetually hurt and out of shape (for him).  His game is completely off of normal, and every aspect is bad. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:13 PM

I don't think it is all that far out at all, given his association with that Canadian doctor that was smuggling HGH around.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 06:07:44 PM

I had forgotten about that.  Yeah, he's guilty as hell. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:12 PM

That would explain the length of injuries, perhaps, but I think more to the point he's lost the last vestiges of his focus and is in his mid 30's.  That's not exactly prime of life for someone who's been beating on their body athletically since age 2.  He's been on his way out for a while, this is just the pathetic, dribbling end.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 10:49:17 PM

So Tiger Woods is stinking it up at the PGA tour.  This is a far out theory, but I think that it is highly likely that he was doping with HgH or steroids or something prior to this deal with his divorce.  Since then he has been perpetually hurt and out of shape (for him).  His game is completely off of normal, and every aspect is bad.  

Rumors about Tiger and hgh have been going around for a while.  Hell if a couple people are to be believed,  three quarters of the top 125 are on it.

It is pretty likely that he was but eventually that swing was going to do some damage to his body that the meds couldn't keep up with.  All that torque being generated on his left leg just put tremendous pressure on it.  It really all started a few years ago when an overzealous fan fell in front of him and hyperextended his knee.  Keeping that left foot to the ground over hundreds of thousands of swing took a toll on that achilles heal.  Three surguries later with relative little rest and that swing?  Recipe for disaster.  There's also the possibility that one of the surguries was botched.

The other thing is he's entering an age (early to mid 30's) where pro golfers tend to have some lulls in their careers - whether by injury, starting a family, divorce, other priorities, swing changes, etc.  He's kinda getting hit with injury, starting a family, divorce, swing change.  Basically hitting for cycle all at once.

Where Tiger doesn't have it anymore is the greens, which was his biggest strength, IMHO.  Dude was clutch all the time every time and a large part of that is mental and more so, confidence.  He still has the best stroke of anybody, he just isn't trusting it.  

Sad really.  Besides Philly Mick and Freddie Couples, there's nobody I enjoyed watching play more.   Tiger for the perfection, Phil for the drama, and Freddie for the liquid velvety smooth swing.

He needs a full year off to get his body back and get a swing grooved again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:46:44 AM by SnakeCharmer »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 07:33:52 PM

Mettaworldpeace   Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 07:24:57 PM

Fucking hell that Dan Wheldon wreck was nasty.   ACK!

I'm surprised we don't see more of this stuff in Indycar.  The racers are so exposed.  

Here's a link to it if you haven't seen it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 07:50:45 PM

I'm surprised Wil Power wasn't killed too.  Crazy wreck.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 08:12:03 PM

I'm surprised Wil Power wasn't killed too.  Crazy wreck.

There's still time.  I haven't heard much about the condition though.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:06 PM

I turned on the TV this afternoon and it was on ABC. One of the commentators was talking about the racetrack being one which was designed to allow cars to run flat out even through the turns.

Betting that this will end up being like what happened after Senna died in F-1. They will redesign the cars to slow them down a ton and they will re-design tracks to slow them down as much as they can. Though unlike F-1, IndyCar drives mainly on ovals so there is not a whole lot they can do to slow the track speed down.

And people will talk about "making the cars safer" but at this point, the only real way to make the cars considerably safer is to slow them down.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 07:31:20 AM

Here's a better view of the wreck, from multiple angles. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 07:54:12 AM

200+ racing deaths in the last decade? I'd say that considering it's pretty similar to the last decade that the safety precautions they've put in thus far are doing nothing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 08:06:22 AM

200+ racing deaths in the last decade? I'd say that considering it's pretty similar to the last decade that the safety precautions they've put in thus far are doing nothing.

Hey, it's safer than Iraq and Afghanistan.  What more do you want them to do? why so serious?

I'm not a car racing fan, by any means but it's clear that these drivers should understand the risks.  I mean they're going 220 miles per hour in a fucking coffin on wheels, for fuck's sake.  I feel really bad for this guy because of his two little kids.  I hope he had good life insurance.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 08:09:05 AM

We understand the risk that NFL players may die 10 years earlier. That doesn't mean we should accept it willingly and ignore technological changes or rules changes to make a dent in fatality stats.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 08:55:08 AM

I don't have a problem with them monkeying with the rules to make it safer as long as it doesn't detract from the sport.  The participants always have an option to not play, however, and the risk for football isn't nearly as obvious as the risk to the Indycar drivers. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 06:03:45 AM

Well, since the World Series was on last night - I watched the World Cup of Rugby final.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Damn good game, 8 - 7, All Blacks over France, in New Zealand. Sometimes I forget how much high level rugby makes the "Major" sports athletes look like wusses.

Plus, I can't imagine a major North American sport ever allowing for something like this before the games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APxj503tjG8

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 07:38:19 AM

That's pretty awesome.   awesome, for real

If I had more time I would try to pay attention to rugby.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:49 AM

Shit, I forgot the final was yesterday. I love watching the All Blacks.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 08:54:25 AM

Shit, I forgot the final was yesterday. I love watching the All Blacks.

Pretty sure all of the games for the whole tourney are available online at the RWC site. www.rugbyworldcup.com

Their player is ridiculously advanced in the form of options etc.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:54 AM

Stupid NBA lockout is pissing me off.  Players screwing themselves financially just to protect their agents future earnings because they have no clue they already lost more money than what they are fighting about.  The average NBA career is barely over three years, you can't give up a fucking season over a 3% difference dumbasses.  And this bullshit about the owners "needing to be protected from themselves" needs to stop too, even with all the horrible contracts given out the past free agent season player salaries did not reach the 57% BRI they were supposed to get, the owners had to give a hefty check to the players association to make up the difference.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 09:12:09 AM

Stupid NBA lockout is pissing me off.  Players screwing themselves financially just to protect their agents future earnings because they have no clue they already lost more money than what they are fighting about.  The average NBA career is barely over three years, you can't give up a fucking season over a 3% difference dumbasses.  And this bullshit about the owners "needing to be protected from themselves" needs to stop too, even with all the horrible contracts given out the past free agent season player salaries did not reach the 57% BRI they were supposed to get, the owners had to give a hefty check to the players association to make up the difference.

The NBA is still around? How cute...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: