Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:03:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329553 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 01:26:13 PM

A caretaker at the 66-year-old Smith's home in Baldwin Hills found his body on Aug. 3.

Yeah, pretty sure we talked about it then  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:56 PM

It's a new article though, and I'm pretty sure folks around here aren't afraid to rehash, well, just about anything, right?
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: November 02, 2011, 01:40:14 PM

I don't know what you could possibly mean by that!

Trammel, sb.exe

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:42 PM

I don't know what you could possibly mean by that!

Trammel, sb.exe

RAGE.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #74 on: November 06, 2011, 05:00:25 AM

Jerry Sandusky is a pig.  Everyone at Penn St that even had an inkling of is, especially Joe Pa, should go down in flames. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #75 on: November 06, 2011, 05:08:39 AM

Jerry Sandusky is a pig.  Everyone at Penn St that even had an inkling of is, especially Joe Pa, should go down in flames. 

I agree with ya, but JoePa is untouchable. Besides, I doubt Paterno had any idea this was going on and if he was made aware of it, he would have jumped on it as soon as he knew. But that is just my opinion on JoePa.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #76 on: November 06, 2011, 05:52:40 AM

I agree with ya, but JoePa is untouchable. Besides, I doubt Paterno had any idea this was going on and if he was made aware of it, he would have jumped on it as soon as he knew. But that is just my opinion on JoePa.

It says in the article that Joe Pa knew exactly what was going on and reported it to the AD.  If he was such an upstanding guy he would have demanded that something more be done about it, i.e. fired Sandusky. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #77 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:22 PM

Grad assistant caught the guy raping a 10 year old, and left.

I can't even imagine WTF was going through his head. He didn't call the cops, he didn't do anything but tell the head coach? Then he gets promoted?

The FUCK!?!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #78 on: November 07, 2011, 01:01:01 PM

It says in the article that Joe Pa knew exactly what was going on and reported it to the AD.  If he was such an upstanding guy he would have demanded that something more be done about it, i.e. fired Sandusky. 

Sandusky wasn't working for Paterno at the time. The incident Paterno reported was in 2002, Sandusky retired in 1999. He was on site as part of some football camp or something I think?

Which is not to say there aren't about 400 very hard questions that Paterno et. al. shouldn't be answering.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 02:46:48 PM

Which is not to say there aren't about 400 very hard questions that Paterno et. al. shouldn't be answering.

Over a pit of glowing coals.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 02:47:38 PM

Dear lord, the more I read on this subject, the more and more I can't possibly believe JoePa can continue coaching after this year.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19:53 AM

Penn State cancels Joe Pa's press conference.  It looks like he may not be coaching there. Something serious is afoot if this is the case, and it suggests to me that the feds may be looking more intently at Paterno's involvement.

More evidence that Joe Pa is gone.  Penn State planning his exit after this year.

New York Times chiming in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:33:46 AM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:27 AM

It's the age old rule. Nobody survives a scandal involving a dead girl or a live boy.

At best, he's too old to know what was going on, which you can't have as the CEO of a major program that's currently #1 in the Big Ten.

At worst, he covered for his buddy, let him retire but still hang around, and promoted the kid who saw something to shut him up.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 11:35:39 AM

What a gobble of idiots. How the fuck could ANYONE at the university cover up or otherwise ignore allegations like that? After all the Catholic Church has been through in the last decade with child sexual abuse scandals, how could the guys in the athletic department let this guy keep an office on campus? Even if the stuff he'd done had never occurred on campus or had anything to do with students, it's just crazy stupid. You're asking for your institution to get hammered by police and the press when/if the shit gets out.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #84 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:26 AM

At best, he's too old to know what was going on, which you can't have as the CEO of a major program that's currently #1 in the Big Ten.

Honestly this has seemed to be true for years anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:44 AM

Honestly this has seemed to be true for years anyway.

Agreed, he was going to be allowed to leave on his own terms, which was likely death. Now, you're out of options. His inability to do the job is costing people in ways that should never have occurred.

WayAbvPar

Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 12:45:29 PM

I had no idea PSU was a Jesuit school.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 12:55:58 PM

I had no idea PSU was a Jesuit school.

It's a good thing they're not.  There would be serious  Mob going on, even more than now.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 04:08:51 AM

Why are all football guys considered meatheads?

Because they can walk in on their boss abusing a 10 year old and their first reaction isn't to beat the shit out of them.  You can insist it was just this one guy but how many scandals, problems and general bullshit do you have to experience in your life before realizing, no, it's systemic.

Fuck sports programs and our national love affair with them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: November 09, 2011, 06:58:44 AM

I read the 23-page grand jury indictment and it's so much  swamp poop ACK! Anyone at the university who had ANY knowledge of the shower scene that didn't contact police should be fired. There is NO justification whatsoever for not having called police and alerting child protection authorities about it. The fact that all they did to the coach was tell him not to bring underage kids onto the campus is reprehensible.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #90 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:28 AM

I read the 23-page grand jury indictment and it's so much  swamp poop ACK! Anyone at the university who had ANY knowledge of the shower scene that didn't contact police should be fired. There is NO justification whatsoever for not having called police and alerting child protection authorities about it. The fact that all they did to the coach was tell him not to bring underage kids onto the campus is reprehensible.

I think they should be charged as an accessory to a crime if they willingly covered it up. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:58 AM

I can say this. I've walked in on people having sex before and your first reaction isn't one of clear thinking. It's usually a WTF moment and you just sorta amble out of the room. In hindsight people always say you should have done all this shit, but your typical reaction is just shock. And that's just normal people have consensual intercourse, not a crime taking place.

So, the people that are all, HE SHOULD HAVE BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HIM, are being stupid. That's not the normal reaction in the situation. It's shock and flight for 99% of the populace when they see something scarring and horrifying. That being said, the reaction after the fact was where this guy failed morally. To put it all on the back burner and continue to work with a rapist that you know is a predator on a regular basis? How do you sleep at night?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #92 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:23 AM

Joe Paterno officially retiring at the season's end.  It's the right thing to do. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #93 on: November 09, 2011, 09:16:30 AM

Joe Paterno officially retiring at the season's end.  It's the right thing to do. 

The right thing to do ship sailed a hell of a lot earlier than today. Fuck him.

Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:35 AM

The right thing to do ship sailed a hell of a lot earlier than today. Fuck him.

Facepalm

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #95 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:45 AM

I agree, but he's dealing with this as it sits right now.  There's little he could do at this point other than retire short of diving on a sword.  

It will be interesting to see if the investigation into this shows that Paterno was even less forthcoming than it seems.  I suspect that will be the case, but only time will tell.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:18 AM

He can retire RIGHT NOW instead of at the end of the season.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #97 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:31 AM

How will that fix anything in a different manner than retiring in 3 games?  I think Paterno has enough good mojo from his career to give him that much. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #98 on: November 09, 2011, 10:11:59 AM

How much good mojo offsets allowing a serial child molester to continue working at your place of business?  How do you not go straight to the police with that shit?

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #99 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:49 AM

And.... this would be why Paterno is being pushed out.  

[quoteUnder Pennsylvania law, as in other jurisdictions, perjury refers to knowingly lying while under oath. Obstruction of justice describes interference with the administration of justice, such as by concealing evidence or delaying or frustrating a criminal investigation. While Paterno has thus far escaped these criminal charges, his statements and behavior suggest that he remains vulnerable to them. That is particularly evident when considering troubling inconsistencies between Paterno's testimony to the grand jury that investigated Sandusky and the testimony of Penn State assistant Mike McQueary.
[/quote]

How much good mojo offsets allowing a serial child molester to continue working at your place of business?  How do you not go straight to the police with that shit?

I'm not sure.  I think he'll eventually end up facing perjury charges with the rest of them, so then he'll get to pay the piper.  I have little problem with him coaching a few more games though.
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:15 AM

Given what we know, was JoePa supposed to stroll into the police station and file a report with them based on hearsay? He could have dragged McQueary down there for his direct witness report. The stakes may change if JoePa was a direct witness, but right now, I can understand. I don't have a moral compass so I am looking at this completely different. Guess I should be burned at the stake as well.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #101 on: November 09, 2011, 10:21:11 AM

How will that fix anything in a different manner than retiring in 3 games?  I think Paterno has enough good mojo from his career to give him that much.  

Because it sends the message that - hey - at least you understand now that you've been caught that you were a shitheel and doesn't reinforce the message that winning > Law, Morality or common decency.

You know.. the entire reason this shit sandwich was covered up in the first place.

Given what we know, was JoePa supposed to stroll into the police station and file a report with them based on hearsay? He could have dragged McQueary down there for his direct witness report. The stakes may change if JoePa was a direct witness, but right now, I can understand. I don't have a moral compass so I am looking at this completely different. Guess I should be burned at the stake as well.

Yes, that's exactly what he was supposed to do.  Police's job is to investigate crime.  He heard of a crime. You drag the AC down with you to the Police and say "this guy saw that one diddle a kid." 

What the fuck world do you live in where you have to have concrete evidence before going to the authorities?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:23:41 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 09, 2011, 10:22:45 AM

From the reports I read, Paterno was not told what the person saw just that they saw something they felt was inappropriate and they were unwilling/unable to discuss it with him and he followed procedure and put them in contact with the AD whose purview the HR/inappropriateness contact was.

Not trying to give anyone a pass on this, but everyone seems to be acting like Paterno was a direct witness which he wasn't.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #103 on: November 09, 2011, 10:23:36 AM

There is some indication that Joe was potentially a little intentionally vague in his report to the AD.  While he might not have been at the point to run into the police station to file a report he certainly didn't follow up appropriately.  Of course it appears that nothing short of filing a police report would have gotten anything done since everyone above him was actively covering up for Sandusky.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #104 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:31 AM

Because it sends the message that - hey - at least you understand now that you've been caught that you were a shitheel and doesn't reinforce the message that winning > Law, Morality or common decency.

You know.. the entire reason this shit sandwich was covered up in the first place.

I'm not sure that a few football games is going to make a lot of difference to those that were molested.  I'm sure none of them would make the trade of "hey, let this guy bang you in the ass a few times and then we'll make this other guy quit his job tomorrow to make up for it".  What very well might make a difference to the victims is full cooperation from Paterno at this point.  I think it is important to remember that it wasn't Joe that molested the kids and it's not exactly clear how much he really knew.  There is a possibility that he could have known everything, in detail, in which case criminal charges should probably be brought against him as well.  There's just too much unknown to dive in and bring the hammer down on someone like Paterno just yet.  That's why I don't have much problem with him coaching this season out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: