Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329558 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1330 on: June 01, 2018, 09:18:18 AM

Has basketball abolished the huge displays where you can see the current game score? Asking for Cleveland.

That has got to be the biggest derp moment in basketball since Chris Webber's time out.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1331 on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:58 PM

Yeah team! awesome, for real

Be interesting to see where KJ ends up.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1332 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:00 AM

Spain sacks the NT Manager two days before world cup starts  ACK!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1333 on: July 01, 2018, 06:04:52 PM

Lebron to Lakers.  Next year, and the next few weeks, in particular, could be very interesting.  He fits perfectly there.  I'm surprised it took him so long to make this move.  But he had an axe to grind in Cleveland, and I think did a damned good job of doing something with almost nothing.  So good on him.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1334 on: July 01, 2018, 06:31:36 PM

It’s kind of too bad the West is so stacked now.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1335 on: July 02, 2018, 05:32:45 AM

Every time I hear Mark Cuban talk about the death of the NFL, I take a look at the NBA and laugh. You have 1 stacked dynasty team, 1 legend who makes any team he is on a contender, 2-4 really good teams but will never compete, and the rest are trash.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1336 on: July 02, 2018, 07:29:54 AM

Every time I hear Mark Cuban talk about the death of the NFL, I take a look at the NBA and laugh. You have 1 stacked dynasty team, 1 legend who makes any team he is on a contender, 2-4 really good teams but will never compete, and the rest are trash.

The NBA isn't even that successful. They tout all their ratings, but most of their playoff games do abysmal ratings comparatively. Their finals games did around a 17.5M viewers. Then you hear about the NFL's HUGE DROPS IN RATINGS... And you see their divisional playoff games do an average of around 34M viewers. Their absolute worst playoff game last year did 25M. The absolute best playoff finals game in the history of EVER for the NBA did 35M viewers. Their absolute best game in history is basically a run of the mill game for the Steelers and the Jags.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1337 on: July 02, 2018, 05:24:14 PM

The only thing really interesting about the NBA these days is the drama. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1338 on: July 02, 2018, 06:41:27 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1339 on: July 04, 2018, 02:31:16 PM

I doubt he adds much.  Probably will see limited minutes and cause a bunch of rigmarole in the locker room and/or get hurt again. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1340 on: July 04, 2018, 04:07:28 PM

Assuming he can get back into playing condition/shape he'll be an off-the-bench player, just like JaVale McGee was, who went to the Lakers. I.e. he's going to be used as and paid as a bench role player. As for being a troublemaker he'll learn to tone it down or he won't play. And if he doesn't play and doesn't show other teams he can still play at a high level he's not going to get a big contract the year after (assuming again he can recover from his injury).
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1341 on: July 04, 2018, 04:23:41 PM

Honestly, for $5 million he's worth the risk, though.  Great pick up for that contract.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1342 on: September 16, 2018, 05:02:17 AM

I don’t know why I even watch Formula 1 anymore. This year has been an absolute disaster so far.

Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton yet again running away with the title. Two mistakes by their biggest opponent (Ferari and Sebastian Vettel) was all that it took. After 14 out of 21 races. Overtaking still impossible, basically everyone that is not Ferrari or Mercedes have absolutely no chance to win or finish on podium. McLaren consistently shit. Williams can only survive by hiring shitty pay drivers. Sauber basically became the Ferrari B Team to survive, the most successful Tier 2 team Force India went into administration because they couldn’t afford the budget.

The only guy able to beat Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes has been his team mate from two seasons ago and not only did he need the exact same car to win, he also needed the luck of Hamilton having his worst season of the last ten years both by individual performance and reliability of the material. Even then he just barely won. Oh and he directly quit F1 after his win.

The last two times one team and driver were this dominant the governing body of F1 did everything to break that dominance. Regulation changes, changes to the way the points system worked, Banning individual parts that exploited loopholes mid season/mid race weekend etc. (e.g diffuser, active suspension)

With Mercedes they don’t seem to give a fuck though.

Also the new owner has consistently been shit running the whole show, coverage has become worse, their streaming service barely works. On screen graphics regularly still break (we still get Firstname Lastname for driver at least once per race still) and race direction consistently focuses on the wrong on track events.

Rasix

Reply #1343 on: January 08, 2019, 08:06:51 AM

Roll Tide.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1344 on: January 08, 2019, 08:42:42 AM

Fuck Nick Saban SO HARD.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1345 on: January 08, 2019, 12:51:51 PM

The old lady happened to turn that game on as the 2nd quarter opened.

Holy crap Clemson is going to be a monster for a couple years until the Pats can sign the kid :D
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1346 on: January 08, 2019, 01:20:24 PM

Unless Brady retires this year and the Pats tank it hard for 2019 and 2020, they won't get him because he'll go early in the first round in 2021 (barring of course injury or a fall to earth).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

I know. Actually my hope is that the Browns mishandle the next year so badly that Baker goes to learn at the foot of the goat and take the mantle (that will be worthless when everyone else leaves immediately after B&B check out).
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: January 08, 2019, 03:47:18 PM

I know. Actually my hope is that the Browns mishandle the next year so badly that Baker goes to learn at the foot of the goat and take the mantle (that will be worthless when everyone else leaves immediately after B&B check out).

what the fuck??

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: April 29, 2020, 10:20:32 AM

This is a super random necro, but I am watching this MIchael Jordan/Chicago Bulls “Last Dance” or whatever documentary, and I can’t believe there has ever been a question about players like Lebron ever being as good as MJ.  Not even in the same universe.

It is also a cool documentary for any of you interested in that era of the NBA.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:27 PM

Unless Brady retires this year and the Pats tank it hard for 2019 and 2020, they won't get him because he'll go early in the first round in 2021 (barring of course injury or a fall to earth).
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1351 on: May 17, 2020, 03:38:42 PM

It does appear that the Pats are in tank it mode. What the fuck is a Jarrett Stidham?

Rasix

Reply #1352 on: October 12, 2021, 12:02:36 PM

The amount of gambling app commercials showing up on every football and baseball is really annoying and quite disturbing. It's constant here. Now there's also ads for crypto exchanges. It makes me a little sad that we're at the point in capitalism where we're just openly inviting idiots to part with their money absolutely nothing in return over live television.

I guess we'll be getting NFT commercials soon? The NFC Championship brought to you by this URL to a jpeg. Heh, they're already popping up on some of my podcasts.

Also  awesome, for real Kyrie Irving, you fucking dunce.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: October 12, 2021, 03:07:54 PM

The amount of gambling app commercials showing up on every football and baseball is really annoying and quite disturbing. It's constant here. Now there's also ads for crypto exchanges. It makes me a little sad that we're at the point in capitalism where we're just openly inviting idiots to part with their money absolutely nothing in return over live television.

I guess we'll be getting NFT commercials soon? The NFC Championship brought to you by this URL to a jpeg. Heh, they're already popping up on some of my podcasts.

Also  awesome, for real Kyrie Irving, you fucking dunce.

Yes. +90% commercials now during sports are gambling related - and they have the money to do it. How anyone thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1354 on: October 20, 2021, 09:51:51 PM

I don't know much about basketball, but I need to become an NBA fan for work reasons this season. Cycling and soccer are my usual sports.

"What's the best way to become a fan?" I asked.

"Pick a team!" they said.

By marriage I have relatives in Baltimore, but they don't have a team (closest would be the Washington Wizards, but I can't see myself as a fan of something called "the Wizards"). So... how should I go about picking a team, and which team should I pick?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2021, 12:38:46 AM

I would say you could do it.by player nationality but that, uh, doesn’t work that great for you right now. If there’s a player you like you could do it that way.  E.g. Giannis Antetokounmpo of the defending champions Milwaukee Bucks is a literal rags-to-riches story but has stayed humble, at least as his public persona goes, which makes it easy to root for him and his team.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2021, 04:14:24 AM

I would say you could do it.by player nationality but that, uh, doesn’t work that great for you right now.

Well, there's Patty Mills.

If there’s a player you like you could do it that way.  E.g. Giannis Antetokounmpo of the defending champions Milwaukee Bucks is a literal rags-to-riches story but has stayed humble, at least as his public persona goes, which makes it easy to root for him and his team.

This might work. I do like an underdog winning and staying humble. Probably because I'm originally Scottish and we're always the underdogs (and don't do NBA).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:19:31 AM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:44 AM

(oops extra post)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1358 on: October 21, 2021, 01:09:05 PM

Who are the Brookyln Nets' biggest rival?  Any chance to root against Kyrie Irving is a win.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: October 21, 2021, 01:38:06 PM

Supporting Giannis and Milwaukee seems like a good choice. You could also try and support teams that play the "right" way. Golden State plays beautiful basketball and won a few championships a few years ago but they've been set back by injuries recently.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1360 on: October 21, 2021, 01:42:24 PM

Denver Nuggets. Low key awesome logo and they are up and coming - and also have the reigning league MVP.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1361 on: October 21, 2021, 02:16:11 PM

I don't know much about basketball, but I need to become an NBA fan for work reasons this season. Cycling and soccer are my usual sports.

"What's the best way to become a fan?" I asked.

"Pick a team!" they said.

By marriage I have relatives in Baltimore, but they don't have a team (closest would be the Washington Wizards, but I can't see myself as a fan of something called "the Wizards"). So... how should I go about picking a team, and which team should I pick?

Since this is a work related thing, are there are lot of basketball fans there, and if so do you know who their favorite teams are? Or do you have any friends that like particular teams? Following a sport you're not inherently interested is probably going to get old real quick unless you've got the social aspect of you and your friends rooting for the same team, or conversely rooting for the rival of a co-worker's favorite team just to fuck with them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1362 on: October 21, 2021, 05:58:20 PM

Follow the Bucks and Giannis. He's what got me at least moderately interested in the NBA again, though not to the extent of the NFL or soccer leagues.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1363 on: October 21, 2021, 07:39:20 PM

Since this is a work related thing, are there are lot of basketball fans there, and if so do you know who their favorite teams are? Or do you have any friends that like particular teams? Following a sport you're not inherently interested is probably going to get old real quick unless you've got the social aspect of you and your friends rooting for the same team, or conversely rooting for the rival of a co-worker's favorite team just to fuck with them.

I asked the people at work who have been involved before, and a group of them follow the Lakers. One was enthusiastic about the Philadelphia 76ers this season: "good team cohesion and no problems with star players".

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep reading and let you know who I pick (unless it's Brooklyn).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 07:40:57 PM by Tale »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1364 on: October 21, 2021, 08:14:52 PM

One was enthusiastic about the Philadelphia 76ers this season: "good team cohesion and no problems with star players".

Either that's the dumbest motherfucker on the planet or he's having it on with you. The Sixers are currently embroiled in a snit with their sort of star player, Ben Simmons, who wants to be traded and is acting like a giant bitch about it. He was holding out before he finally came in for practice, then he fucked around so much at practice that the team suspended him rather than have him fuck up team chemistry. Their other star literally said "I'm not here to babysit, I'm tired of his shit" as well as saying that the team had great chemistry without him.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: