Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329576 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1225 on: June 20, 2016, 01:57:38 PM

I liked Kevin Love this game. Granted he looks nonathletic and he puts in close to zero points, he accounts for 20 points not scored because of him so... yeah. In hindsight its probably more important that the Cavs not make this a 100+ point game than for Love to put up an extra 8-10.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1226 on: June 20, 2016, 04:02:57 PM

Kevin Love did a great job but it looked to me like if Curry wanted to drive to the basket he could've blown by Love, he was just desperate for a 3 and Love knew that.

If LeBron had actually made that dunk after that block that would've been one of the most ridiculous sequences in a Finals ever. Although making the second free throw after tweaking his wrist was clutch too.

Irving I was worried about after the first 3 or 4 games, but he really showed he can be the future of the Cavs in the elimination games. It's amazing he's only 24, not even in his prime yet.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1227 on: July 05, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

Kevin Durant is going to Golden State, which makes the NBA more absurd than ever. I hate everything about how that league is structured.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1228 on: July 05, 2016, 01:38:11 PM

Kevin Durant is going to Golden State, which makes the NBA more absurd than ever. I hate everything about how that league is structured.
The NBA actually restructured things to try and prevent another Miami but since Curry is being way underpaid and the salary cap jumped up substantially the Warriors were still able to make it happen.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1229 on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:24 PM

As someone with little rooting interest and who watches about 5 NBA games a year, I guess it's good for me not to have a superstar player like that in a nothing market like OKC.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1230 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:31 PM

This makes the NBA way less interesting.  For all of the hate Lebron gets for his "decision" this one is 100% worse in substance and effect. At least in Miami it was Bosh, Wade, Lebron, and a bunch of terrible players and they didn't jump to the team that was historically the best regular season team ever.  Here you've got subs like Andre Igudola and Shawn Livingston.  They're going to be a little soft in the middle, but it won't matter with the length that they're going to have and the fact that they'll have 3 guys that can put up 100 all by themselves.

Durant must really not get along with Westbrook to even happen.  You go from nearly beating a team (and only a miracle game from Klay Thompson and your own failure allowed it) to go to the finals, to joining them as a 4th wheel? Wat.

OKC is now a dead franchise.  They need to hope that they can get good value for Westbrook, because he'll be gone one way or another.  

And he pissed off my son by doing this.  So, there's that as well.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #1231 on: July 05, 2016, 07:51:00 PM

I love it, because fuck OKC to fucking death and back. Now they now how it feels to lose something besides a mobile home park and a criminal ownership partner. I love that Westbrook is fucking off. I hope they go 10-72 every year until they move the team.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1232 on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:28 PM

So... you don't care for OKC, then?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1233 on: July 06, 2016, 01:46:51 PM

That is pure, unadulterated Seattle Supersonics Salt right there.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1234 on: July 06, 2016, 02:29:22 PM

Durant must really not get along with Westbrook to even happen.

Westbrook shoots too much. That's his main problem when it comes to Durant. When you PG is taking the 5th most shot attempts in the league? And he's not named Steph Curry? That's a bad thing.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: July 06, 2016, 06:17:19 PM

Westbrook shoots too much. That's his main problem when it comes to Durant. When you PG is taking the 5th most shot attempts in the league? And he's not named Steph Curry? That's a bad thing.

So much this.  Westbrook loses so many games with his lack of ball movement and when he is cold he just continues to throw shots in desperation without even using the shot clock.  Only reason they beat the spurs is that last few games Westbrook looked like he grew up and was a team player, bastard.  Of course he reverted and they lost the next series. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1236 on: July 11, 2016, 09:13:23 AM

Tim Duncan finally hung up his shoes. 19 seasons with one team in an era of free agency is nuts. ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1237 on: July 11, 2016, 10:53:33 AM

He's the best Power Forward ever, and went about his business with such little fanfare for himself in an era of Superstar Player Divas. He was truly one of kind in the game.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: July 11, 2016, 01:00:06 PM

Miss the big fundamental already.  Won't be the same watching the Spurs without him.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1239 on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:09 PM

He had the fourth highest WARP in the league.  Let's not be goofy and pretend he's not an amazing player and probably should be taking that many shots.  In addition to being an all around scoring badass, he was second in the league with assists at 10.4 per game.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:16:12 PM by ghost »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1240 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:25 PM

Mike Piazza and Ken Griffey Jr. went into the baseball HOF yesterday.  Apparently Jr. missed out on a unanimous selection by only 3 votes.  Whoever those 3 people are should have their voting privileges revoke for life.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: July 24, 2016, 10:42:16 PM

Some time back I read an article (an article specifically about Junior's HOF votes) that said that some of the HOF voters for baseball will deliberately tank it so that there is no unanimous vote.  The justification somewhere along the lines of "he will never be as good as that other guy, so I will make sure he doesn't get all the votes" kind of thing.  Which is lame, but there it is.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1242 on: July 25, 2016, 06:35:15 AM

It's run by baseball writers. Who are the biggest collection of know-it-all chucklefucks in existence. They make academia assholes look tame.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1243 on: July 25, 2016, 09:31:59 AM

Yeah, anyone that can try to claim either Griffey, Jr. or Piazza shouldn't be in the Hall needs to never be allowed to vote. You might have a case for Piazza (you don't since he was the best power hitting catcher of all time) but fuck you if you think Griffey shouldn't get your vote because of some "no one can be unanimous" thing. Baseball is full of a lot of stuck up, "unwritten rules" kind of assholes that need to hurry the fuck up and die off.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:37 PM

It's run by baseball writers. Who are the biggest collection of know-it-all chucklefucks in existence. They make academia assholes look tame.

x100

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: July 28, 2016, 03:18:44 AM

A friend of mine once said that he thought I would really like the guys from Baseball Prospectus and it legit made me angry.

Pedro Martinez got 91% of the HOF votes. Pedro Martinez is probably the best pitcher of anyone here's lifetime, and I say that as a Yankees fan. There's a reasonable argument to be made that he's the best pitcher of all time - I certainly don't think you can point to anyone else in history and say they were clearly better. If you look at the stats it's a no-brainer, if you've seen him pitch it's a no-brainer.  91%!

It defies explanation.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1246 on: July 28, 2016, 08:04:19 AM

Most of the guys at Talking Chop, which was the local Saber-head hangout for Braves fans, got run out of there because they were such insufferable assholes about advanced stats that the readership tanked. Then they brought in new guys who are still asses about some of it, but nowhere near as bad.

But make no mistake, advanced stats in baseball is a religion. And if you don't buy in, you're an idiot heretic that should be burned at the stake for your hubris.

Which is funny, because in my mind the advanced stats and analytics should stand on their own if they were based on across the board solid math. The problem is that the ones they love the most are based on ridiculous assumptions that regular GM's don't even bother to look at. They overvalue the crap out of defense as an example, while GMs now are so desperate for power bats they would probably trade their own wives for a 30 HR a year guy.

It's why a guy like Jason Heyward was seen as infinitely valueable to stat-heads for his defense and baserunning, while regular fans watched him play and hit and said "WHAT?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:05:52 AM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1247 on: July 28, 2016, 09:31:51 AM

Yeah, the Heyward contract appears to be vastly overvalued, though I will say his defense HAS won the Cubs at least one and probably more ball games. But holy shit is he a strikeout waiting to happen at the plate. And he seems incapable of making the adjustments to get himself to be a consistent .260 hitter.

OBP is another one of those overrated stats. It's a GOOD measurement of a good hitter but it's not a winning stat. Like if everyone of my hitters has a .300+ OBP, that doesn't mean I'm going to win the World Series because eventually somebody has to knock all those guys on the bases in. Average with RISP is a better stat to me unless I'm talking about guy I expect to hit 1 or 2 in the batting order - then I'm concerned about OBP.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1248 on: July 28, 2016, 10:56:11 AM

Good lord, don't bring up RISP with those people. That's as touchy a subject as saying strikeouts are bad.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1249 on: July 28, 2016, 11:04:29 AM

Good lord, don't bring up RISP with those people. That's as touchy a subject as saying strikeouts are bad.

Only a complete fucking idiot (or an austic idiot savant) would discount RISP.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1250 on: July 28, 2016, 12:14:20 PM

Don't you know Haemish? RISP evens out over time. It's a terrible stat because it follows normal team average, so it's not that important.

/sarcasm.

Here read this and don't let your head explode. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a-plea-to-stop-the-obsession-with-risp-batting-average/

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1251 on: July 28, 2016, 12:57:30 PM

He presumably was making a reference to regression to the mean which in fact does happen. It's like when somebody hits 10 HRs in the first 20 games of a season and everybody says he's on pace to hit 81 for the year. Yeah but no. That's not how these things work.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1252 on: July 29, 2016, 07:41:21 AM

He presumably was making a reference to regression to the mean which in fact does happen. It's like when somebody hits 10 HRs in the first 20 games of a season and everybody says he's on pace to hit 81 for the year. Yeah but no. That's not how these things work.

Yeah that's fine. And if we look at a guys entire career, things do balance out. But sometimes you have outlier seasons, and that outlier season is enough to win a championship.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1253 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:41 AM

RISP is not a repeatable skill. It is essentially random, since it depends on the batters in front to even happen. Same with RBIs, for the most part.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1254 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:30 AM

There is something to be said for the ability to hold up under pressure and actually knock that guy in from 2nd or 3rd. Call it clutch, call it whatever, it may not be a skill but as a stat to track the value of a player, I'll take it over OBP.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1255 on: July 29, 2016, 12:03:15 PM

RISP is not a repeatable skill. It is essentially random, since it depends on the batters in front to even happen. Same with RBIs, for the most part.

Let's look at Fred McGriff as an example. He was a .285 hitter in his long career with a .509 slugging. His RISP is .277 and .479 career.

In 1995 when the Braves won the championship, he was .280 avg, .489 slugging. But with RISP in 1995? .291 and .552 slugging. A HUGE slugging difference with runners that helped propel the Braves to a championship. He was oddly clutch that year, and wasn't that kind of hitter for most of his career again.

But he was with RISP for that finite period of time, and that made a large difference for the team, even though it always evens out over the long haul.

If we're evaluating Fred over the long haul for trades, we'd look at all his values. But to Braves fans his biggest value was in 1995 for that one year where they won everything.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1256 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:33 AM

I'm not sure that I agree.  It would seem to me that RISP favors ground ball and contact hitters more heavily than power hitters.  This would be particularly true when you play for a team that likes to play small ball and employs the Hit-and-run more often than average. 

Again, this is more 'gut-based' than stats-based.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #1257 on: July 30, 2016, 01:51:41 PM

There is no doubt that McGriff was a huge factor in 1995. However, it does not have any predictive value. RISP fluctuates due to batting order, game situations, and (most of all) to the ability of the people in front of the batter to get themselves into scoring position. There is not much statistical difference between regular bating average and average with RISP.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1258 on: August 25, 2016, 07:05:21 AM

This might be one of my new favorite pictures:

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1259 on: August 25, 2016, 07:20:03 AM

She should have brought her purse too.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: