Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3  (Read 42348 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #175 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:53 AM

Nifty Helmets is a very good example, he was getting stomped pretty well basically the entire first season, didn't know the interface or the rules very well, etc., but now he's a pain in the ass!  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #176 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:03 AM

Just like in real life!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:35 AM

Even during my 3-1 gubbing by Mr Connectionless, I was still Leaping over and running about with the ball.

With 11 rats doing that, I'm going to piss myself laughing.

That's the goal, Helm.  Find something you Want.

My advice ?  KILL SKINKS.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #178 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:49 AM

I was doing better the first season when I had unskilled players and less of an idea of what I'm doing.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #179 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:20 AM

You know just enough to hurt yourself, eh?

God Save the Horn Players
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 02, 2011, 11:43:19 AM

I suggest not trying out the snotling league!  why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:25 AM

I kind of hate the snotling league myself.  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:55 AM

The Snotling league is crystallized frustration. Try playing a game with ONE FUCKING SNOTLING being the only guy you have on the pitch. Literally, I had a turn with ONE PLAYER.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:18 AM

One stunned player. awesome, for real
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #184 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:15 PM

Even during my 3-1 gubbing by Mr Connectionless, I was still Leaping over and running about with the ball.

With 11 rats doing that, I'm going to piss myself laughing.

That's the goal, Helm.  Find something you Want.

My advice ?  KILL SKINKS.

Careful man, leap is a cruel mistress.  Trust me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:44 PM

What's the downside ?  His chaps didn't even get a roll against me the entire time.  Should they have ??

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 02, 2011, 12:19:20 PM

For woodies the downside is it is actually easier for you to knock your own wardancer down (and thus suffer an armor roll against a really expensive piece with a low AV) by leaping into a cage than it is for your opponent to knock one down with a hit for the most part, so it can be pretty risky depending on how many tackle zones you're leaping into.

Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 02, 2011, 12:23:17 PM

Ironwood didn't use it that way (bar maybe once) and as far as I know the leap skill is a pure agi test, it seemed really effective for getting that deep runner through the field, but there was the risk of using the GFI's to take your GR out of blitz range, was actually good to watch as I had never seen the skill used before. Roll on a plus agi skink, will definately get me some leap action if that happens.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:26:53 PM by Ulysees »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:53 PM

Yeah you're right, I was misremembering, the tackle zones don't matter. Being a flat agility test though means you don't get the +1 for dodging like you would for dodging into an empty square, so every time you do it that's a 1 in 3 chance for a wardancer (or other agi 4 piece) to faceplant and potentially get hurt (assuming no reroll available, and Teleku seems to hate buying rerolls.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:27:42 PM by Ingmar »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:35 PM

What's the downside ?  His chaps didn't even get a roll against me the entire time.  Should they have ??
Well, its an unmodified AGI roll, so if you have 3 AGI, thats a 50/50 chance your going to fail and land on your face (possibly shattering it if nuffle is in a fine mood).  And while I've made some amazing leaps, even with AGI 4, I'll have a streak of wardancers landing on their face many times in a row (which is also a turn over).  Also, there is no built in reroll for it (like dodge), so your only option is to blow a team reroll.

Edit:
Yeah you're right, I was misremembering, the tackle zones don't matter. Being a flat agility test though means you don't get the +1 for dodging like you would for dodging into an empty square, so every time you do it that's a 1 in 3 chance for a wardancer (or other agi 4 piece) to faceplant and potentially get hurt (assuming no reroll available, and Teleku seems to hate buying rerolls.)
You'll be so proud of me, I finally spent some money on more!  That, with my leadership skill, starts me off with 4 whole Team Re-rolls.  With my last few wins and high fan factor, I'm finally bringing in some damn cash.  I'm actually up to a 10 man roster even (though will still be 9 man for next game, since one of my players is hurt).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:46:23 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: June 02, 2011, 01:54:15 PM

To be fair, it doesn't help that Helm picked one of the hardest starting teams in the game, and dove head-first into a league which is rapidly becoming more and more adversarial. Nevertheless, we ought to make allowances for people who change their mind, after they figure out that it's not for them.

I agree, and as Der Helm's next opponent (I believe) I cannot say that his luck is going to improve much.

But it's not surprising that someone playing Skaven is having a more enjoyable time losing than someone playing Chaos -- Skaven are just more exciting to play, period, and an outmatched Skaven team can usually still score, or mix up playing styles for fun, or whatever (assuming they are not busy dying.) If I were gonna play a Mino+Beastmen Chaos team I'd just play feeder league games until I got a Minotaur with Block and Claw, because that would at least make those early games entertainingly bloody.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #191 on: June 02, 2011, 02:38:31 PM

Tonight would've been a good night for me to play day 4. Damned "Italian holidays".

I think that's what I'm going to call it instead of "catassing"  why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:12 PM

They have to play MMOs today or the Mafia comes and takes away their pasta, opera CDs, and eyebrow trimming kits.

EDIT: And hula hoops.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:50:44 PM by Ingmar »

avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 02, 2011, 03:03:09 PM

fock
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #194 on: June 02, 2011, 03:19:22 PM

Helm, if it makes you feel any better, I have one of the more-experienced teams in the league and there is a distinct chance I will miss the playoffs due to some AMAZING saves by my opponents to create a bunch of ties. I also lost to a newb orc team last season, which was fun. What I think happens if you forfeit the rest of your games is that you opponent gets (I think) 1 TD, 2 MVPs, and max winnings...Which, depending on their team, may actually put them at a disadvantage since they lose a chance to develop their players to their liking.

Separately, I am digging the snotling league now...probably at Haemish's expense, who was certainly a good sport throughout a decidedly one-sided facebashing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: June 02, 2011, 03:31:08 PM

Been thinking about a "speed-dating" league with 40s turns. Anyone interested ?  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 02, 2011, 03:32:29 PM

Dropping part-way through would also presumably have the effect of screwing the people who only beat you by 1 TD on the point differential tiebreaker, gained money, etc. Falc could manually figure out the 'right' point differential but the money can really swing things. When I get stuck in situations like this I just try to make my own goals that aren't necessarily winning, etc. Fouling is always a plus, too.  awesome, for real

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:51 PM

Leap also avoids GFI rolls IIRC. Useful at times.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #198 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01:18 PM

Isn't a GFI normally an easier roll, especially for players with Leap?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:53 PM

GFI is just fail on a 1 for everyone.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #200 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:15 PM

Unless there's a blizzard in which case an Agi5 player with Leap would be better off using the Leap skill to Go For It.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: June 02, 2011, 05:26:46 PM

Aye but you can leap more than one square, which make it about even on a 4 agi player. You can run deep and then jump out of being marked and skip a dodge (with one tacklezone) and two GFIs and just do a single leap roll instead. When you leap you just roll leap, not dodge, not shadowing, not GFI, etc - just leap. Up to two squares.

In blizzards it is flat out better odds than two GFIs, even if you're unmarked.

As it is with AGI5, all the time.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:33:06 PM by lamaros »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: June 02, 2011, 10:06:06 PM

I swear to GOD Cyanide has special code in the game that makes your chance of rolling 1 increase if the GFI is for a TD.  In the last 2 seasons, I have had no less than 5 fucking GFI rolls, were the one GFI would put me behind the TD line, fail.  And I rarely attempt GFI rolls.  That happened to me in the game with Celer, and I was pissed (I did it without any rerolls left).  He picked up the ball and ran it to the other end, only to have the GFI over the TD line fail, and then the reroll fail.

It has to be in the code!!!!!

-Stephen Colbert
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:57 AM

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure you still need to GFI to use Leap for additional movement, so it is definitely riskier than the GFI.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 03, 2011, 12:32:19 AM

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure you still need to GFI to use Leap for additional movement, so it is definitely riskier than the GFI.

You don't believe my rats? Curse you! I'm prettttty sure on this one. Might just be a bug and not in the BB rules, but I think it's there.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #205 on: June 03, 2011, 12:49:47 AM

Update coming in a couple of hours.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: June 03, 2011, 12:55:49 AM

ICE is right. Page 77 of the competition rules.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: June 03, 2011, 07:41:41 AM

It's the same principle as when you blitz to the edge of your normal movement and then throw a block. You still need to gfi as it is using a movement point.

But importantly, when you leap for the TD line you avoid a final square gfi, which means Nuffle is less likely to spot what you are doing and fuck you in the ass for it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: June 03, 2011, 02:38:11 PM

According to this thread:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4460

The game rolls for your leap first, and if that doesn't fail, it then rolls for the GFI's your taking.  If you fail any of them, you land in the square you were leaping to.

Granted that thread is a few years old, before Legendary edition.  So maybe it changed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:45:53 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Gruntle
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:14 PM

Nifty Helmets is a very good example, he was getting stomped pretty well basically the entire first season, didn't know the interface or the rules very well, etc., but now he's a pain in the ass!  awesome, for real

Well, you know it's a bad situation when people are holding ME up as an example.
Basically if you follow my trajectory, the end of the season will be just about the point where your chaos team might be coming together, and you'll have to decide then if you want to risk another season of chaos or start anew with something like orcs or dwarves. I can't say if chosing chaos is the wise choice there or not, but hopefully you'll have some fun mutations or something to play with to make the choice for you by then...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:50:47 PM by Gruntle »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3  
Jump to: