Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 03:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 386896 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #910 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:45 AM

I thought they overplayed the "hold out" theory.  There's plenty of shitty quarterbacks that didn't hold out.  I suspect that most of the hold outs on the list would still have been shit-tastic, even with the extra time.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #911 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:09 AM

Here's a better plan. Don't draft an SEC QB in the first round. I'm not sold on any of them except the Mannings.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #912 on: October 25, 2011, 10:19:30 AM

This was pretty much the only high point until Manning came.

Umm...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

No I mean they showed the Colts stats since Manning joined or whatever. Then compared it to when Brady got hurt and some other QB who I've forgotten.

NE was like 10-6 without Brady, but the Colts were 0 wins.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #914 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:07 PM

To continue the discussion of shitty quarterbacks, here's a list of the 50 worst quarterbacks in NFL history.   awesome, for real

I won't spoil the list for you, but Oakland plays a prominent role.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

NO KERRY COLLINS NO PEACE

Seeing Dave Brown made me laugh. I can laugh about him now.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #915 on: October 25, 2011, 12:23:44 PM

The real question right now is who are the worst starting QBs in the league?

I think it's something like:

Tim Tebow
Curtis Painter
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez
Rex Grossman
Matt Moore

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:15 PM

[Whoever is starting for Seattle this week]

edit; yeah, Sanchez doesn't belong on that list.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:31:53 PM by Azuredream »

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: October 25, 2011, 12:31:22 PM

Why is Sanchez in that list? He doesn't seem anywhere near the same level of awful as the rest.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:03 PM

He has perhaps the biggest difference between perceived ability and actual ability in the league.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #919 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:26 PM

Blaine Gabbert.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #920 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:30 PM

Sanchez and Flacco are about the same level. They can be good and they can be wretched. Averaged out over a season, they are decent but not spectacular QB's.

My list -

ELITE
Peyton "The Neck" Manning
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees

Really Good but not Great
Matt Schaub
Ben Rapistburger
Matt Hasselback

Good With the Occasional HOLY FUCK WHAT WERE YOU THINKING
Tony Romo
Eli Manning
Michael Vick
Jay Cutler

Good But Too Young to Be Considered Great Yet
Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Christian Ponder
Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford
Andy Dalton
Colt McCoy

Are Never Going to be Better Than They Are Right Now (and could be worse on any given Sunday)
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Alex Smith
Matt Cassel
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Kevin Kolb

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY GET A STARTING JOB?Huh
Chad Henne
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Tavaris Jackson
Charlie Whitehurst
AJ Feeley
Matt Moore
Curtis Painter
Kerry Collins
Vince Young
Kyle Boller
Tim Tebow

Jury is still out
Blaine Gabbert

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #921 on: October 25, 2011, 01:23:00 PM

Why is Sanchez in that list? He doesn't seem anywhere near the same level of awful as the rest.

I disagree.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: October 25, 2011, 02:35:18 PM

Sanchez and Flacco are about the same level. They can be good and they can be wretched. Averaged out over a season, they are decent but not spectacular QB's.

My list -

ELITE
Peyton "The Neck" Manning
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees

Really Good but not Great
Matt Schaub
Ben Rapistburger
Matt Hasselback

Rivers rated ahead of Roethlisberger? WTF has Rivers ever won? Ben been to 3 SB, with 2 rings, and except maybe for the 1st one (and which he posted phenomenal regular season W-L record for 1st two NFL seasons) where it could be argued "team carried him", mostly on his arm and playmaking. And like I put forth numbers from the stat heads, Ben > Manning over past 3 seasons. And Manning might be totally done as "elite" QB status goes. I'd put Ben on par with Brees.

But Ben nor Brees not in class of Brady and Rodgers.

Schaub and Hasselback? Hasselback at one time could be considered in the good-very good range -- now he's teetering between below average and good. Right now, this season, I'd rather have Cam Newton or Josh Freeman than Matty H or Schaub (who had accomplished almost zero) as starting QB.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:09 PM

Who gives a shit what he's won? He can't play the 21 other positions on the field. He's a more skilled/talented QB than Big Ben. The Chargers haven't lost because Rivers has failed. Look at last year's team. They led the league in offense AND defense. Special teams lost them a totally legit shot at the Super Bowl. Rivers can't control that kind of thing, holding it against him is ridiculous.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #924 on: October 25, 2011, 02:40:36 PM

I think Ben's rings can be attributed to his team as much as himself. I think you put Ben on a team like the Eagles or even the Colts team that Manning won with and he does not win Super Bowls. An elite QB carries a team. Ben doesn't always carry that team nearly as much as their defense does. His first Super Bowl was fucking terrible. He won on running game and defense. His second Super Bowl was better but again, defense won that game for them. Peyton's Super Bowl win was against a really good Bears defense. Brees's gaudy numbers put him ahead of the Rapist because he's constantly throwing to 7, 8 guys a game, and only one of those is what I would consider a top line wideout (Colston).

EDIT: And to answer the Rivers thing, Rivers has carried that team for seasons. Vincent Jackson is no Hines Ward (though maybe Antonio Gates is). Last year he was throwing to guys off the street, with a defense and special teams that gave up big plays often.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:42:13 PM by HaemishM »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:07 PM

It's just pants-on-head retarded to suggest that a QB on a bad or mediocre team has to play far better than one on a good team to be considered at the same skill level. The end.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #926 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:55 PM

Manning on a mediocre team makes them a good team - this season is evidence of that. He just probably wouldn't be considered elite on a shitty team like Denver because his numbers wouldn't be as good. Pittsburgh has never been a shitty team while Rothliesberger is there. They've had a defense, good wideouts, and most of the time, a good running game. Hell, he missed 4 games last season and the Steelers barely noticed - didn't they go 3-1 in that stretch? While the Colts have gone 0-7 without Manning and an UGLY 0-7 at that. Elite QB's make good teams into great teams.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #927 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:32 PM

Glad to see Colston getting some love here.  He's been a quiet playmaker his whole career.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #928 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:21 PM

Manning on a mediocre team makes them a good team - this season is evidence of that. He just probably wouldn't be considered elite on a shitty team like Denver because his numbers wouldn't be as good. Pittsburgh has never been a shitty team while Rothliesberger is there. They've had a defense, good wideouts, and most of the time, a good running game. Hell, he missed 4 games last season and the Steelers barely noticed - didn't they go 3-1 in that stretch? While the Colts have gone 0-7 without Manning and an UGLY 0-7 at that. Elite QB's make good teams into great teams.

And by contrast a shitty QB on a good team costs them dearly. It's the reason why Rex Ryan is ringless.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #929 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:01 PM

I'd disagree with that given the available alternatives for them.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #930 on: October 25, 2011, 04:06:57 PM

I'd disagree with that given the available alternatives for them.

Would you agree that if Phillip Rivers played on the Jets, they would win a Super Bowl with that defense?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #931 on: October 25, 2011, 04:11:51 PM

This year? No.  Last year, perhaps.

I'm just wondering how they could possibly do better at this point.  Who could they have gotten that would be a definite upgrade?  Cutler? Kolb? Cassel?

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:56 PM

Orton.  why so serious?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:18 PM

To continue the discussion of shitty quarterbacks, here's a list of the 50 worst quarterbacks in NFL history.   awesome, for real

I won't spoil the list for you, but Oakland plays a prominent role.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

NO KERRY COLLINS NO PEACE

Seeing Dave Brown made me laugh. I can laugh about him now.

Fuck.

I had managed to forget about Dave Brown until this post.  Thanks Sjofn!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #934 on: October 25, 2011, 06:25:10 PM

REALLY you should be thanking Ghost!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: October 25, 2011, 07:17:48 PM

Umm...

Maybe I should have clarified. I have never considered the Indianapolis Colts the same team.  When they left Baltimore it really became a new team.  The Indy Colts sucked overall for many years. Though they did make the playoffs with Trudeau one year I know (it kind of helps when you have Eric Dickerson).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #936 on: October 25, 2011, 08:20:22 PM

This year? No.  Last year, perhaps.

I'm just wondering how they could possibly do better at this point.  Who could they have gotten that would be a definite upgrade?  Cutler? Kolb? Cassel?

A lot of it would depend on how good the running game is. And their running game has been uniformly terrible this year. Orton is more accurate. Cutler is about the same as Sanchez with accuracy, and with the O line problems they've had this year, Cutler wouldn't have been an upgrade. Cassel might have been sort of a side grade.

David Garrard might have been an upgrade. Not flashy, but won't throw the ball away as much as Sanchez.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: October 25, 2011, 09:34:51 PM

I think Ben's rings can be attributed to his team as much as himself. I think you put Ben on a team like the Eagles or even the Colts team that Manning won with and he does not win Super Bowls. An elite QB carries a team. Ben doesn't always carry that team nearly as much as their defense does. His first Super Bowl was fucking terrible. He won on running game and defense. His second Super Bowl was better but again, defense won that game for them. Peyton's Super Bowl win was against a really good Bears defense. Brees's gaudy numbers put him ahead of the Rapist because he's constantly throwing to 7, 8 guys a game, and only one of those is what I would consider a top line wideout (Colston).

No. Anyone that has suffered through likes of Malone, Stoudt, Woodley, Brister, O'Donnell  and Stewart (except for a couple of good seasons -- and here is a QB that Cowher coaching ruined, and did little to nurture, and yanked him immediately upon any struggling -- I mean, when you lead your team to 2 championship games and the season after you get replaced with Tommy Maddox…).

Even this year, without Ben, the Steelers are easily 2-5 instead of 5-2. When your best offensive lineman was waived in off-season, and sitting on the couch October 1 and the rest of the 1st unit almost all injured and in shambles (and even 2 of those guys couldn't start for most NFL squads). Yeah, he's had some decent receivers, but the RB situation has been iffy -- Bettis good when healthy but always broke down by end of year, Parker had a good season or two, and now Mendenhall is decent at best. And the defense while being good, is not the force it was back in the 90s -- especially against elite QB that seem to carve them up with ease.

Again, he not in Rodgers or Brady class, but he on the next tier with Brees.

Rivers is a crybaby douche and not a team leader, at least judged by what I've seen of him in big games.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: October 25, 2011, 10:59:00 PM

Rivers is "fiery and emotional"...which I supposed could be perceived as crybaby douche territory, but it has far more upside than down.  He is a stud of a QB, and I would put him pretty much exactly where Haemish did (in fact, I pretty much agree with his enitre list top to bottom, except for maybe Fitzpatrick who I think still has upside).  The reasons the Charges fail is because of Special Teams and Norv Motherfucking Turner.  The Chargers hating is a little funny, considering they are off to an unusually good start for once.

And Brees is much better than Rapistburgers.  Give me a break.  Steelers over the years are one of the most well rounded teams out there.  They have had good skill position players on offense and a fantastic defense.  Ben helped in those efforts, but the team around him made it a whole lot easier.  I will give him this much:  He has an uncanny ability to get out of trouble and make plays out of it.  Also has an uncanny ability dive for the end zone, clearly NOT make it, and yet still be granted a touchdown that somehow gets upheld after review.  Last but not least, Fuck Rapistburgers.  Nobody is saying he sucks...he's definitely up there.  Just a notch lower than the elite.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #939 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:12 AM

Nobody is saying he sucks...he's definitely up there.  Just a notch lower than the elite.

You are wildly insane if you believe Big Ben isn't an elite QB. He's passed for almost 25,000 yards, won rookie of the year, won 2 Super Bowls, was a pro-bowler, is the only QB to ever register two perfect passing games in one regular season, and has the highest career passer rating in Steelers history.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #940 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:18 AM

Yeah, Roethlisberger is better than the people here would like to admit.  Is he helped by being on a good team?  Yes, and sure he's no Payton Manning, but nobody else is.  Roethlisberger is pretty damned good in his own right.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #941 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:10 AM

Well he's a complete dipshit, so I can see how that colors perceptions, but we didn't judge athletes on their off-the-field shit until the internet became big business (unless it was due to performence drugs).

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #942 on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:20 AM

Most athletes are upstanding human beings and excellent role models. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #943 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:47 AM

I'm not saying Rothliesberger sucks. He's very good, just not great. Again, I have to point to the fact that the Steelers did not collapse last year with him out 4 games and compare that to the way the Colts have disintegrated without Manning this year, with essentially the same offensive personnel. Looking back at team rushing stats for the years he's won the Super Bowl compared to the year Manning won the Super Bowl, his 2005 season, he had a fantastic running game (over 2,000 rushing yards), the Colts in 2006 had over 1,700 rushing yards and the Steelers in 2008 had over 1600 rushing yards and in 2010 had over 1900 rushing yards. He's always had a running game. But I think if you take him out of that system, put him on a team like say Minnesota where his receivers aren't as good as Mike Wallace and Hines Ward (or Ward and Santonio Holmes or Plaxico Burress like he's had in the past), his numbers will dip dramatically.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #944 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:39 AM

Being a winner can put you into "great".  Roethlisberger is a winner.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: