Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 04:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 386903 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #350 on: September 06, 2011, 08:52:55 AM

Being a good recruiter is almost completely irrelevant to the NFL game.

That's the whole point. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #351 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:29 AM

Being a good recruiter is almost completely irrelevant to the NFL game.

That's the whole point. 

Yeah, coaches don't really recruit in the Pro's. Owners with big wallets do. Recruitment matters if there is a next step, if you can give them that, you can stream in top talent. The NFL IS the top talent.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: September 06, 2011, 10:26:42 PM

Well, he's reportedly a good motivator and gets players to buy-in.  Of course, that only lasts as long as you're able to win.  Despite all the poking fun at this team, I imagine they themselves have a fairly positive outlook...2010 with a new coach, a lot of new players, a division championship and a highly emotional playoff win against the defending champs.  That's the wave they are riding, not the 7-9 record.

Of course, maybe that all goes out the window when Tavaris Jackson is your starting QB.  I think their success or failure ultimately boils down to him and whether or not he "emerges".  And there is no reason to think that he will.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #353 on: September 07, 2011, 06:20:31 AM

Tavaris Jackson is your starting QB.

ACK!

I find it odd that they could have gotten Leinart.  Surely he's a better option than the three slugs they've got on the roster. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 07, 2011, 06:53:51 AM

Question for Wed: How many weeks until Ponder is starting for Minnesota?  I just don't think McNabb has it in him anymore.  As soon as they go 1-4 or 2-4, I'm betting he gets the hook. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #355 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:40 AM

McNabb hasn't had it for years.  I'm not sure he ever had it, really, and that it was actually TO that had it.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #356 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:11 AM

McNabb hasn't had it for years.  I'm not sure he ever had it, really, and that it was actually TO that had it.

That is overly harsh.  McNabb had a flash for a while. Then the Eagles franchised him and he gave up.

I have never played WoW.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #357 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:48 AM

Is it?  He really only had one truly great year, 2004.  The rest of the time his QB rating was in the 70s and 80s, which is pretty mediocre. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #358 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:33 AM

You really need to rethink that. Before TO got there, he had NOBODY to throw to. NOBODY. I mean, Pinkston, Thrash, Lewis? These were his wideouts through most of those years. He had Brian Westbrook as his main weapon most of those years, and while Westbrook was really good, he was still a RB with 3 or 4 total lumps of meat as his wideouts. And he still got them to 3 straight NFC Championships before the Super Bowl year. He also never threw more INTs than TD's in any season prior to last year - and he was on a BAD team last year. McNabb has most certainly lost it, probably for good. But he has always been an underrated passer IMO. Shit, you put him on a team with better receivers like last year's Green Bay team, or with Moss/Welker like Brady had in '07 or even Harrison/Wayne on the Colts in 2006, and he would have shined. Hell, even with TO, he still didn't have a good 2nd wide receiver.

WayAbvPar

Reply #359 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:28 AM

He also threw into the dirt like he was running infield practice. I have never seen a QB throw more low uncatchable balls in my life. He was mediocre at best, and once his legs went he wasn't even that. Grossly overrated his whole career.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:29 AM

ACK!

I find it odd that they could have gotten Leinart.  Surely he's a better option than the three slugs they've got on the roster. 

Jacksonville is starting Luke McCown at QB.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #361 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:20 AM

You really need to rethink that. Before TO got there, he had NOBODY to throw to. NOBODY. I mean, Pinkston, Thrash, Lewis? These were his wideouts through most of those years. He had Brian Westbrook as his main weapon most of those years, and while Westbrook was really good, he was still a RB with 3 or 4 total lumps of meat as his wideouts. And he still got them to 3 straight NFC Championships before the Super Bowl year. He also never threw more INTs than TD's in any season prior to last year - and he was on a BAD team last year. McNabb has most certainly lost it, probably for good. But he has always been an underrated passer IMO. Shit, you put him on a team with better receivers like last year's Green Bay team, or with Moss/Welker like Brady had in '07 or even Harrison/Wayne on the Colts in 2006, and he would have shined. Hell, even with TO, he still didn't have a good 2nd wide receiver.

Coulda woulda shoulda.  I'm not buying it.
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:35 AM

Jacksonville is starting Luke McCown at QB.

I give him 3 games before the rookie starts. Going to be a fun year.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #363 on: September 07, 2011, 09:08:11 AM

I expect McNabb might make 6 games at most as starter. I really think his time as a starter is just about done. I think you guys hating on McNabb's past have been watching different games than I have. He was never elite, but he was pretty good. He was also real injury prone, but remember. The guy played one whole game with a broken leg.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #364 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:41 AM

I expect McNabb might make 6 games at most as starter. I really think his time as a starter is just about done. I think you guys hating on McNabb's past have been watching different games than I have. He was never elite, but he was pretty good. He was also real injury prone, but remember. The guy played one whole game with a broken leg.

He was mediocre most of the time, had 3-4 good years, and one elite year.  That pretty much sums up his career.  Had he won the big game, like Roethlisberger, he might be remembered in a different light.  Winning the superbowl makes a big difference in the career achievement race.
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:46 AM

He was mediocre most of the time, had 3-4 good years, and one elite year.  That pretty much sums up his career.  Had he won the big game, like Roethlisberger, he might be remembered in a different light.  Winning the superbowl makes a big difference in the career achievement race.

Just ask Jim.  swamp poop I'd like to think he would have his ring if he wouldn't have got stuck with Buffalo.

Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:38 AM

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #367 on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:15 AM

I have Collie in another league.  Sitting him out...

I have never played WoW.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: September 07, 2011, 01:24:03 PM

On McNabb, you are all nuts. He might be done for, something might have happened in Philly that permanently zapped his QB mojo or it might be just the performance distortion field that seems to afflict every 21st century Washington Redskin acquisition. We'll see soon enough as playing the Packers, Bears, and even Lions will put his aged frame to the test.

But McNabb for 2000's decade, has been a stellar performer, taking his team to 5 NFC championship games and 1 SB (which was a close game, but he was bested by a better Tom Brady). Yeah, you might say he "choked" in those games, but I'd be just as likely to center the crosshairs on Andy Reid, who's always struck me in the mold of Schottenheimer and Cowher as the biggest "choke" coaches in the history of professional football. Cowher got redemption in 2005, but he lost 4 AFC championship games (I believe all were in home turf in Pittsburgh) and '95 SB (though Neil O'Donnel certainly didn't help his cause there).

About the only knack is he gets hurt a lot, and I think, finally the run of injuries has just done him in for good.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #369 on: September 07, 2011, 01:29:46 PM

ACK!

I find it odd that they could have gotten Leinart.  Surely he's a better option than the three slugs they've got on the roster.  

Leinart is awful. His career passer rating is like a 70 vs. Jackson's 86. He lost his starting job to Derek Anderson the year AFTER Anderson had that historically awful season in Cleveland. I'd be betting on Jackson over him for sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #370 on: September 07, 2011, 01:32:16 PM

ACK!

I find it odd that they could have gotten Leinart.  Surely he's a better option than the three slugs they've got on the roster.  

Leinart is awful. His career passer rating is like a 70 vs. Jackson's 86. He lost his starting job to Derek Anderson the year AFTER Anderson had that historically awful season in Cleveland. I'd be betting on Jackson over him for sure.

That surprises me.  Leinart, if nothing else, has the talent to be a decent QB if he could stop partying.  Plus he's played for Petey before.  Maybe that would be the match made in Seattle. 
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: September 07, 2011, 02:33:26 PM

Introducing Grantland's Bad QB League

There is too much attention and praise showered on the modern elite quarterback. The Tom Bradys, Peyton Mannings and Aaron Rodgers of the league are celebrated as genius demigods, just because they can make split-second decisions and deliver precise passes while being chased by gigantic men who spent an entire week figuring out ways to injure them. Blah fucking blah. The more compelling narrative is that of the modern failure. Because when things go wrong for an NFL quarterback, they go spectacularly wrong. And there will be no shortage of that this season. On-field arguments. Botched handoffs. Locker room backstabbing. Seeing that unfold is way more fun than watching Brady sling the ball around for a bit, droneishly drop clichés at the press conference, then go home to the hottest woman on the planet.

This year, we're going to make it even more interesting, using an old trick: adding a draft, a scoring system, and gambling.

Start writing an e-mail to seven of your friends now, because you don't have much time to get going on your own Bad Quarterback League. The steps are simple:

1. Find eight people dumb enough to participate in a Bad Quarterback League.
2. Set the stakes.
3. Draft four NFL teams using a snake-style draft.
4. Each week, choose two teams to start (you can start a team no more than 13 times a season and no less than five times a season). Just so we're clear — you're drafting a team, and you get every quarterback on that team.
5. Check Grantland each week to get the scoring from the weekly scorecard.
6. Remember that every QB on your roster is eligible for 24/7 points. That means even if you didn't start the Seahawks on Sunday, you still get the 150 points when Tarvaris Jackson's penis appears on a blog on Tuesday.
The Scoring System

POSITIVE POINTS:

Benched during game (non-injury): 35 points
Concussed: 10 points
Interception for TD: 25 points
Interception (non-TD): 5 points
Fumbles lost: 5 points
Fumbles kept: 2 points
3-turnover game: 12 points
4-turnover game: 16 points
5-turnover game: 24 points
6-turnover game: 50 points
No passes of 25+ yards: 10 points
No passing/rushing TDs (QBs only): 10 points
Under 200 passing yards: 6 points
Under 150 passing yards: 12 points
Under 100 passing yards: 25 points
Under 50 percent completion rate: 5 points
Under 40 percent completion rate: 15 points
Under 30 percent completion rate: 25 points
Teammate/Coach/Fan argument on sidelines replayed replayed on SportsCenter: 15 points

24/7 POINTS:

Arrested: 50 points
Detained/questioned by police: 10 points
Practice/locker room fight (physical): 20 points
Apology press conference: 75 points
Penis picture on blog: 150 points
Official vote of confidence from coach: 10 points
Bitching about his linemen: 10 points
Suspended: 50 points per game

NEGATIVE POINTS:

300-349 yards passing: -6 points
350-399 yards passing: -9 points
400+ yards passing: -12 points
75+ yards rushing: -8 points
3 passing/rushing TDs: -5 points
4 passing/rushing TD’s: -10 points
5 passing/rushing TD’s: -20 points
Game-winning drive (last two minutes): -12 points

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #372 on: September 08, 2011, 08:53:25 AM

He also threw into the dirt like he was running infield practice. I have never seen a QB throw more low uncatchable balls in my life. He was mediocre at best, and once his legs went he wasn't even that. Grossly overrated his whole career.

6 Pro Bowls.  C'mon.  It is ok to hate good players, but that hate doesn't make good players bad players.  Does anyone believe McNabb won't be a Hall of Famer? 

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #373 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:37 AM

6 Pro Bowls.  C'mon.  It is ok to hate good players, but that hate doesn't make good players bad players.  Does anyone believe McNabb won't be a Hall of Famer? 

I don't believe he's a Hall of Famer. He's got no Super Bowl wins, and he's got less yards and less TDs than Boomer Esiason who isn't in there. Hell, why not put in Jim Everett? He's got similar numbers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #374 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:42 AM

McNabb has a career QB rating of 85.7 and no Superbowl ring.  That's about like Boomer.  It's also a lot like Farve, yet Farve has the ring.  Without a ring Favre doesn't look nearly as good, in my opinion.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #375 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:29 AM

He won't be.  Pro Bowls are meaningless.  He's had 2 really good statistical seasons and no Super Bowl wins.  He's a below 60% career passer. 

I suppose he compares statistically with another hall of famer, Jim Kelly, except that Kelly went to 4 Super Bowls to McNabb's 1.  Of course, another person he compares to is Rich Gannon.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #376 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:02 AM

McNabb has a career QB rating of 85.7 and no Superbowl ring.  That's about like Boomer.  It's also a lot like Farve, yet Farve has the ring.  Without a ring Favre doesn't look nearly as good, in my opinion.

He'd be just another Dan Marino.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #377 on: September 08, 2011, 09:32:15 AM

I'm not a fan of Marino.  He was the antithesis of a winner.
Rasix

Reply #378 on: September 08, 2011, 09:36:00 AM

Well, there's a place for guys that just blew up statistically or were able to keep up a high level of play for a long time like a Cal Ripken (different sport, same argument) or Brett Favre.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #379 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:41 AM

Sure there is.  Marino was the highest statistically productive passer of all time for a while and merits discussion in the all time greats.  He was on shitty teams a good deal of the time.  I just don't have much interest in losers and a guy of his talent level should have been able to bring home some trophy.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:34 AM

Sure there is.  Marino was the highest statistically productive passer of all time for a while and merits discussion in the all time greats.  He was on shitty teams a good deal of the time.  I just don't have much interest in losers and a guy of his talent level should have been able to bring home some trophy.

Marino was dazzling and put up phenomenal numbers. His lack of SB shiny, it can be argued, could be due to poor Dolphin defenses during that period (that were just a shadow of the 70's legacy Killer B unit that they tried to emulate way too long, just as Noll and Steelers faded in the later 80s. OTOH, his teams (counting his days at Pitt when Pitt was a national powerhouse program) always seemed to "choke" in the big game -- he lost SB and Cotton Bowl in senior year that a victory would have netted national championship. It was pre-BCS era, and arguably the prior year, with only 1 loss, they should have netted national championship with Sugar Bowl win over Georgia but undefeated Clemson (a team that by today standard would be cast off as a Boise State wannabe, as ACC was not a major conference in likes of Big-10 or major independents like Pitt, Notre Dame, Penn State) beat a 2L Nebraska team and got it.

Oh, and I hate the BCS and prefer the old bowl system, at least in lieu of a REAL championship playoff…

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #381 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:09 AM

Hey, I'm a McNabb fan/apologist but I don't think he's Hall of Fame material. I just don't think he's as bad as the haters say. He won't be in the Hall because he has no ring and his stats aren't the gaudy numbers that a guy without a ring like Marino has.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: September 08, 2011, 10:09:23 AM

Hey, I'm a McNabb fan/apologist but I don't think he's Hall of Fame material. I just don't think he's as bad as the haters say. He won't be in the Hall because he has no ring and his stats aren't the gaudy numbers that a guy without a ring like Marino has.

I want to go on record as stating that I'm not a McNabb hater.  He was good in his prime.  I just happen to think that he is past his prime. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #383 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:40 AM

I want to go on record as stating that I'm not a McNabb hater.  He was good in his prime.  I just happen to think that he is past his prime. 

No debate on that from me.  He's done.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #384 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:56 AM

Yeah, he's been done for the last 2-3 years, he just happened to show it when he got on a bad team like the Skins.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: