Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 04:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 386909 times)
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 14, 2011, 01:36:53 PM

Still puzzling over NFL rule change to move kickoff to 35 yard line.

Yeah, the deafening clamor for more touchbacks.

It's a safety thing, along with limiting the running start by the kicking team to only five yards.  I don't know if it those were the superior options over 25yd touchbacks and killing wedges off entirely, but it's progress.

Had to happen. The NFL is fighting concussions on too many fronts, and bad injuries due to kickoffs were high on that list. Is it boring? Yeah. But it also provides for some strategy by your special teams units if you want to catch people off guard.

If kickoff returns are such a safety issue, then just plant the ball on the 20 (or 30 or 35 or whatever) and forego the touchback play.

What about punt returns?

Hey, I am all in favor getting rid of kickers -- it's an appendage that should be scuttled.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #176 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:41 PM

Because if you just put it on the 20 you have no option to run it out late in the game, or onside kick, or pooch kick, or other strategic plays when it matters.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: August 14, 2011, 01:52:06 PM

Still puzzling over NFL rule change to move kickoff to 35 yard line.

Yeah, the deafening clamor for more touchbacks.

It's a safety thing, along with limiting the running start by the kicking team to only five yards.  I don't know if it those were the superior options over 25yd touchbacks and killing wedges off entirely, but it's progress.

Had to happen. The NFL is fighting concussions on too many fronts, and bad injuries due to kickoffs were high on that list. Is it boring? Yeah. But it also provides for some strategy by your special teams units if you want to catch people off guard.

I think the NFL competition committee should start looking into the elimination of tackling. Imagine the impact that would have on the number of injuries.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #178 on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:59 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Don't be obtuse. Moving the kickoff line is a small change. Especially since it's been there before in the past.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #179 on: August 14, 2011, 05:57:54 PM

Giants might be really, really bad this year.

Yeah, I think you are correct. Get used to seeing the Eli face A LOT.

God Save the Horn Players
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:38 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Don't be obtuse. Moving the kickoff line is a small change. Especially since it's been there before in the past.

Kickers kick the ball farther than they used to. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #181 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:01 AM

That receiving corps is already pretty stacked with Jackson, Avant and Maclin (the latter two aren't great, but they are good enough).

Maclin almost died from an ongoing rare disease.  I don't think he plays this season.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:14 AM

Let's not forget that Steve Smith just moved to Phili.  He could have a productive season there.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:03 AM

My Giants didn't look good at all.  But since I'm a fan and I'm always optimistic, I'm going to chalk up Saturday's performance to:

They've been practicing for just a short while.
Their offensive line is a bit shuffled.
It's preseason.

I'm not that worried about the loss of Steve Smith yet.  Nicks and Manningham both were able to snag 2000+ yards and a ton of TDs and each didn't start the whole year.

Our defense looked good though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #184 on: August 15, 2011, 08:43:52 AM

Nicks and Manningham are good but they were a lot better when they weren't the only options. If the O-line has to shuffle around, Manning is going to take a lot more pressure and we all know that's when Eli starts tossing balls to the wrong team. If the running game isn't solid, it will be a LONG year.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #185 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:24 PM

I know I am salivating.  The NFC East is in our hands unless Vick gets his legs broken early in the season.  Tony OhNo, a hapless Redskins team and a 4 sacked a game Eli...

I have never played WoW.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 15, 2011, 06:56:32 PM

My Giants didn't look good at all.  But since I'm a fan and I'm always optimistic, I'm going to chalk up Saturday's performance to:

They've been practicing for just a short while.
Their offensive line is a bit shuffled.
It's preseason.

I'm not that worried about the loss of Steve Smith yet.  Nicks and Manningham both were able to snag 2000+ yards and a ton of TDs and each didn't start the whole year.

Our defense looked good though.

Could be worse; you could be a niners fan.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #187 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:29 PM

Cry
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #188 on: August 15, 2011, 07:34:44 PM

I know I am salivating.  The NFC East is in our hands unless Vick gets his legs broken early in the season.  Tony OhNo, a hapless Redskins team and a 4 sacked a game Eli...

I think you are going to be very disappointed. I'm not saying you won't win the division, I just don't think building your team around five free agent big names and filling the gaps with rookies or young utility talent is a recipe for success in the playoffs.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: August 16, 2011, 03:30:59 AM

Just got an email from Yahoo...are we donig the obligatory Pick 'Em league again this year?  I look forward to dominating all you jokers once again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:28 AM

Just got an email from Yahoo...are we donig the obligatory Pick 'Em league again this year?  I look forward to dominating all you jokers once again.

Ask you shall receive!   Invites sent to all of last years participants. Link info below for people that want to join in and play ESPN analyst.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem/register/joingroup
Group ID# 22848
Password: F13
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:11 AM

Awesome, you the man.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #192 on: August 16, 2011, 07:41:51 AM

We shall see...

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #193 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:19 AM

Ok... signed up. But as a Browns fan, I am already fucked. Someone spot me 21 pts.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:31 AM

Just got an email from Yahoo...are we donig the obligatory Pick 'Em league again this year?  I look forward to dominating all you jokers once again.

We shall see...

I believe I am undefeated in F13 pick 'em leagues (last two years).  I've even told you all my secret to victory*, yet you still manage to mess it up!

*which also explains why the Browns almost always lose.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:05:26 AM by Cyrrex »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: August 17, 2011, 06:59:06 AM

Nicks and Manningham are good but they were a lot better when they weren't the only options. If the O-line has to shuffle around, Manning is going to take a lot more pressure and we all know that's when Eli starts tossing balls to the wrong team. If the running game isn't solid, it will be a LONG year.

Neither of them are the kind of premier receiver that opens up the running game either in my opinion.  The reason the Giants were so nasty with Plaxico is you just couldn't cover him with one guy.  It does great things for your team when you can force a double whenever you want.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #196 on: August 17, 2011, 07:52:58 AM

I think with Steve Smith out there, the three of them could open up the running game - but he's gone now, and yeah, you're right, they don't have someone who can do it by himself like Plax could.

But Eli is confident he's an elite QB in Tom Brady's league.  Facepalm

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #197 on: August 17, 2011, 08:02:57 AM

I think with Steve Smith out there, the three of them could open up the running game - but he's gone now, and yeah, you're right, they don't have someone who can do it by himself like Plax could.

But Eli is confident he's an elite QB in Tom Brady's league.  Facepalm

I think he meant he was more a 6th round value rather than first.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45:35 PM

I know I am salivating.  The NFC East is in our hands unless Vick gets his legs broken early in the season.  Tony OhNo, a hapless Redskins team and a 4 sacked a game Eli...

Oh look another Eagle fan who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

The Giants were the least sacked team last year.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #199 on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:51 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: August 17, 2011, 12:55:57 PM

Neither of them are the kind of premier receiver that opens up the running game either in my opinion.  The reason the Giants were so nasty with Plaxico is you just couldn't cover him with one guy.  It does great things for your team when you can force a double whenever you want.

They're not? I guess #6 rushing team in the league last year couldn't open up the running game.  

But Eli is confident he's an elite QB in Tom Brady's league.  Facepalm

Steve Smith doesn't open the passing game.  He's was an intermediate receiver, he worked in traffic.  Since when does a team need 3 WRs to "open the running game".

Now if you want to comment on if Nicks can stay healthy the whole season to make a mark, you'd have an argument.

As far as Eli's comment goes I'm guessing you never read the original quote.

When e was asked if "[he] was in the same league as Tom Brady,"  he answered:

"I consider myself in that class," said Manning, the MVP of Super Bowl XLII. "Tom Brady is a great quarterback, he's a great player and what you've seen with him is he's gotten better every year. He started off winning championships and I think he's a better quarterback now than what he was, in all honesty, when he was winning those championships.

"I think now he's grown up and gotten better every year and that's what I'm trying to do. I kind of hope these next seven years of my quarterback days are my best."

He never said he was as good or better than Tom.  He says he hopes to be just as good too, and always improve.  I think it's a fair assessment.  I mean what do you want him to say, "Oh I'm not an elite QB, I'm actually not good.  People hate me."  Yeah, you find me an elite athlete that will say that and I'll buy you a beer.

It's a stupid non-story.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #201 on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:46 PM

Eli Manning-  31 TDs and 25 picks
Tom Brady-  36 TDs and 4 picks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: August 17, 2011, 01:04:51 PM

True, I'd argue the number was inflated by the number of INTs that came because his WRs couldn't fucking catch a ball with their hands.  But that only accounts for like 5-7 of them.

Why does no one bring up precious Drew Brees threw three less INTs than Eli?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Edit to add:

Eli Manning-  31 TDs and 25 picks
Tom Brady-  36 TDs and 4 picks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Drew Brees- 33 TD and 22 picks.  I guess he's not elite either. :(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:06:44 PM by Draegan »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #203 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:49 PM

No one brings it up because Brees at least made the playoffs last year.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #204 on: August 17, 2011, 01:41:48 PM

The Giants had a 10 win season and only missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker, they were hardly a bad team.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #205 on: August 17, 2011, 01:42:37 PM

I wouldn't argue they were a particularly GOOD team either.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #206 on: August 17, 2011, 01:42:59 PM

However, the Saints didn't lose to the Seahawks because Brees tossed up picks.

They lose because their defense BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: August 17, 2011, 01:44:42 PM

BEAST MODE!!!!!!!!!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: August 17, 2011, 01:45:56 PM

No one brings it up because Brees at least made the playoffs last year.  awesome, for real

Hmm I can't remember how the Saints team finished last year.  It couldn't of been a loss to the only team in the history of the NFL to get into the playoffs with a losing records could it?  

I wouldn't argue they were a particularly GOOD team either.

The Giants were statistically the 5th best Offense and the 7th best Defense in the league.  I think they're in pretty good shape going into this season.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #209 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:24 PM

I'm not a big fan of Brees, no. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: