Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341540 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06:24 AM

Buy new to avoid buying Shiz's old car  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:04 PM

Or my ex-GF's old car, she would buy a new car drive it for 35k miles w/o changing the oil then go get another new car.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:33 PM

Or my ex-GF's old car, she would buy a new car drive it for 35k miles w/o changing the oil then go get another new car.

This is not atypical, plus sale prep _designed_ to mask problems like that, so its not like you can do due-diligence and discover these problems. Still, I am surprised oil filter didn't plug by 35K, she must not drive on dusty roads.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #108 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:22 PM

It'll be fun trying to talk my service rep into oil changes before 15000 miles.  I really don't wait to wait that long.  Shit's dusty here.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #109 on: April 21, 2011, 05:50:21 PM

Currently they are selling 2011 4 door tundras for $22k with 0% financing for 5 years, I seriously doubt you could pick up a 2 year old one for under 20 and you certainly aren't going to get a 0% loan on it.  Seriously instead of blindly quoting rules of thumb just tell people to look at the deals and do the friggen math.  Wife just bought a new Camry hybrid, we paid 2k under msrp and financed it at 0%, pretty sure that deal wont be there in 6 months and with the 0% financing I can pretty much be assured I will never be under water on the car.

You need to do more math.  Tundras get real-world MPG of 16-18 tops on the highway and cost $90 to fill the tank.  They're giving them away because at $4 per gallon nobody's buying what they're selling.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/26248.shtml

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:43 PM

Everytime I gas up, I love my Prius more.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:57 PM

Currently they are selling 2011 4 door tundras for $22k with 0% financing for 5 years, I seriously doubt you could pick up a 2 year old one for under 20 and you certainly aren't going to get a 0% loan on it.  Seriously instead of blindly quoting rules of thumb just tell people to look at the deals and do the friggen math.  Wife just bought a new Camry hybrid, we paid 2k under msrp and financed it at 0%, pretty sure that deal wont be there in 6 months and with the 0% financing I can pretty much be assured I will never be under water on the car.

You need to do more math.  Tundras get real-world MPG of 16-18 tops on the highway and cost $90 to fill the tank.  They're giving them away because at $4 per gallon nobody's buying what they're selling.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/26248.shtml

I wasn't comparing it to a Prius, I was simply stating that currently you can get a much better deal on a new tundra than a used tundra.  And if you need a full sized truck (which some people do) you are going to have a hard time finding anything above 20mpg.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #112 on: April 22, 2011, 05:03:23 AM

I wasn't comparing it to a Prius either, that was Morat's Smug cloud invading the conversation and heading towards Denver.  Nobody's mentioned needing a truck other than "damn, not happy I bought one it's a gas guzzler."  The post certainly wasn't germaine to the original topic, much less what it's evolved in to.   

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #113 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:57 AM

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac El Dorado convertible Hot pink with whaleskin hub caps and all leather cow interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights, yeah. And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115mph getting one mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheeseburgers from McDonalds in the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers. And when I'm done sucking down those grease ball burgers, I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag and then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam container right out the side. And there ain't a goddamned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 22, 2011, 07:18:46 AM

It'll be fun trying to talk my service rep into oil changes before 15000 miles.  I really don't wait to wait that long.  Shit's dusty here.
Agreed. I have them change the oil every time I have my 6 month service done. I should hit 15k miles with my 2 1/2 year service in May. After raising hell with the service department (nicely, but persistently), they usually perform everything I ask for, but I have to write it all out and verify over the phone that they understand what I wrote. They won't even stamp the damn maintenance log if I don't tell them.

The link Merusk provided is interesting, but it's a guideline. I get better mileage out of my FJ, but I drive it like an old lady most of the time. But I do use AC, 4WD, hilly driving, towing and carry loads. (not at the same time!) Not that we've had the conversation about folks who need utility vehicles vs those who don't, or how fast/slow people drive  Beating a Dead Horse

Just had to haul my two new honeycrisp trees last night and really missed my pickup. I love the FJ but I should probably be driving a Tundra or at least a Taco.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:11 AM

I wasn't comparing it to a Prius either, that was Morat's Smug cloud invading the conversation and heading towards Denver.  Nobody's mentioned needing a truck other than "damn, not happy I bought one it's a gas guzzler."  The post certainly wasn't germaine to the original topic, much less what it's evolved in to.   
Sorry, that was just general "Gas is fucking expensive" smugness, since I live in truck country (most driven by people who never use the beds for anything). I don't think they have out-and-out hybrid trucks, but I do know they have some smaller SUV's that have hybrid models with mileage in the high 20s and low 30s.

I can't fathom buying a car, truck, or SUV now without mileage being right there below "Does it do what I want it to do" on the decision list. I wouldn't buy a Prius for hauling shit around the mountains (although I drove mine through the million dollar highway in winter), but if I was faced with a dozen trucks that'd do the job, which gets the best mileage would be next.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #116 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:42 AM

It was a South Park joke.  I thought the Denver line would have given it away.  Apparently Abogadro and I were the only two who saw the episode.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:55 AM

I have a 2wd V8 2010 Tundra for work. I absolutely need it and have replaced the bed liner with a rhino liner after the factory liner wore out. I pay attention to fuel very closely. I drive like an old man, keep the rpms low. Being a six speed helps a lot. My best fuel mileage is 20 mpg. What saves me is most of my business needs are very local, within 20 miles or less. Ive owned fords and gms. I would never consider a different truck than a toyota now. Best truck if you need a truck.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #118 on: April 22, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Myself, I never buy brand new cars, even when I can afford to buy them with cash.  Let somebody else take the depreciation for driving it off the lot.

This is the best advice in the thread.

My current car (05 Altima) was totaled, salvaged and retitled.  So I got it very cheaply.  The drive train is great, the roof leaks a bit, suspension is a bit off, and I really, really need new rotors (my fault there) but it's my favorite car so far.  That thing that was rattling loudly fell off at some point and so now it's relatively quiet.  Trouble with buying salvaged cars should be obvious.

Finding a low-mileage WRX is hard.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:06 PM

Finding a low-mileage WRX is hard.

It's easier at a Subaru dealer.  ;)

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #120 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:20 PM

That much is certain.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #121 on: April 25, 2011, 07:45:52 AM

What are you strategies for buying new cars?

Didn't see any answers to this:  I joined a local credit union and use their fleet buying service.  They provide this as a service to CU members, and generally you can get anything made for less than $500 over wholesale dealer price (the fleet service combines 20+ member vehicle orders into one so they can negotiate a fixed margin with the dealer).  You don't even have to step foot on a lot until it's time to pick it up, so you don't even have to run the gauntlet of asshole salespeople until it's too late for them to do anything about it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 26, 2011, 11:02:46 AM

Didn't see any answers to this:  I joined a local credit union and use their fleet buying service.  They provide this as a service to CU members, and generally you can get anything made for less than $500 over wholesale dealer price (the fleet service combines 20+ member vehicle orders into one so they can negotiate a fixed margin with the dealer).  You don't even have to step foot on a lot until it's time to pick it up, so you don't even have to run the gauntlet of asshole salespeople until it's too late for them to do anything about it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Where can I find "wholesale dealer price" figures?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:33 PM

I think he means "Dealer Invoice" which you can find at edmonds etc.

That is really the only "consistent" number you are going to find, the actual price any given dealership pays varies widely because it is based on volumes and all kinds of incentive packages from the auto-makers to the dealers.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #124 on: April 27, 2011, 10:34:25 AM

1) Decide on the car you want based on need and affordability.

2) Decide on features that are must have or must not have.

3) Email the internet salesman at dealers around telling them what specifically you want and asking for a price.  They might not all respond but some will. The more direct you are about when you will buy the better.  Buying in the last week of a month is best since the dealer has to pay insurance for each car on its lot every month.

4) Take the lowest email bid you get and try and get another 5% knocked off in person.

You should have a decent - if not the best - price after that.

It also pays to know that extra features like leather upholstery can be added by the dealer.  My wife got us leather on a new Sienna for free.  The dealer just zipped it on over the factory upholstery.  So we bought the cheaper model but got leather.  I had no idea this was even possible and I have bought 5 cars in my life.

Also, trading in is almost always better than trying to sell your old car yourself, even if the trade in value is lower because you save the sales tax.

For example, assume a sales tax of 6%.

You want to buy a $20,000 car so tax would be $1,200.

You think you can sell you old car for $4,000 but the dealer only offers you $3,800.   If you take the $3,800, your sales tax bill will be lower by $228 (3800 x 6%) so you effectively sold your care for $4,028.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:38:08 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #125 on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:45 PM

Autotrader is a decent place to look for used and even new cars/trucks.  I got a decent deal on my current ride there.  Many times the Autotrader price is less than the sticker price on the lot for used stuff. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 27, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

According to autotrader, my truck was a really good investment!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #127 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:15 PM

According to autotrader, my truck was a really good investment!

High resale values?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:55 PM

What are you strategies for buying new cars?

Didn't see any answers to this:  I joined a local credit union and use their fleet buying service.  They provide this as a service to CU members, and generally you can get anything made for less than $500 over wholesale dealer price (the fleet service combines 20+ member vehicle orders into one so they can negotiate a fixed margin with the dealer).  You don't even have to step foot on a lot until it's time to pick it up, so you don't even have to run the gauntlet of asshole salespeople until it's too late for them to do anything about it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I agree with this. I used a broker who got me a great deal, but I originally used USAA's car buying service which gives you pricing for 3 local dealers at their discount rate (all on their website). It was really useful to try pricing out several different vehicles to see which ones I could get the lowest below MSRP. (In November 2010, I found several models of brand new 2010s 15-20% below MSRP through USAA).

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:38 AM

High resale values?
Cheapest one on there is going for more than I owe. Most have about 40-60k more miles and are $4-5k more. I don't have any after-market parts, but it's loaded and I haven't hit 15k miles after 2.5 years (should hit it this weekend, actually). I did get a pretty good deal on it, though.

I guess there's another lesson for the hive mind: look into the values of older models of the vehicle you're considering; as well as reliability. I had a pretty good idea that the FJ would hold value, being quirky and niche; but I'm glad reliability has borne out, given I bought the second year of production.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #130 on: April 28, 2011, 07:04:55 AM

I'm looking at a bunch of 2008 Lexus ES 350's that have between 30-40k miles on them. They fall into the $21-23k range when I do some research. Does anybody have any Lexus experience they would like to share at this time?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 28, 2011, 07:47:54 AM

I'm looking at a bunch of 2008 Lexus ES 350's that have between 30-40k miles on them. They fall into the $21-23k range when I do some research. Does anybody have any Lexus experience they would like to share at this time?

All I know is that they have among the highest resale value among mid size luxury vehicles.  That seems like a good thing. 

I'd be interested in upkeep costs.  Many of the luxury brands are expensive as hell to maintain due to part cost premiums and finding a mechanic qualified to keep them under warranty.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:52 PM

Lexus is an expensive toyota. Interior and exterior parts spendy, mechanical, not so much

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #133 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:52 PM

Lexus is an expensive toyota. Interior and exterior parts spendy, mechanical, not so much

I am aware of the Toyota part. I'm not so worried about it breaking down on me or the horsepower part of it as much as the creature comfort and general upkeep part.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 29, 2011, 04:12:30 PM

I'm not so worried about it breaking down on me or the horsepower part of it as much as the creature comfort and general upkeep part.
The creature comforts are nice, but like all luxury cars they don't last indefinitely.  Some last a decent while (10-15+ years) while occasionally nuisance things like the lit needle gauges or the completely electronically controlled AC doors and diverters start to die or behave weirdly after a few years.  Those are usually the most annoying thing since they aren't by nature trivially easy to work on nor are the parts cheap to replace (assuming a good shop knows what is wrong and isn't just throwing parts at it hoping it goes away).
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:38 PM

For whatever it's worth, I just bought an '11 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the ecoboost twin turbo V6.  It's advertised to get 22 mpg on the highway, but I averaged nearly 24 mpg on a 700 mile round trip.  Not too shabby for a 4x4 in the 6000lb range that can tow nearly 12,000 lbs.  Expect it to get better as I get more miles on it.  Not 30mpg, but certainly 25-26mpg shouldn't be out of the question.  Probably more expensive than what you're looking to spend, though.  

Paelos - the wife's aunt has a late model ES350.  She loves it, and has put a ton of miles on it.  It's not quite "just a more expensive Toyota", as there's some pretty big differences in the drive train and other running gear.  I've driven it a handful of times and can tell you it's pretty much the best riding car I've ever been in...Bank vault quiet on the inside - so much so it's almost unnerving.  Personally, if I were in the market for something like that, I would go for one of the IS or GS models simply because they're RWD.  I *still* really dislike FWD cars.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:52:57 PM by SnakeCharmer »
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 07, 2011, 08:45:18 PM

Maintaining luxury car isn't trivial expense, especially if you have low tolerance for some of the comforts Not Working. One of my daily drivers is 25 year old German land yacht. Gas mileage isn't terrible ether, I get about 22mpg highway but I get to drive a comfy ride with ridiculous amount of power. Over last 10 years I easily spent over 30,000 just keeping it on the road. Years 8-12 were by far the worst, and now I am starting to see some of the things I fixed back then come back again. Trick to owning older luxury cars is to know (you have to be mechanically inclined) when something about to fail and fix it before it causes more damage. Plus do all the small stuff yourself.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:50:03 PM by sinij »

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:55 PM

To add more to above - you actually need to know a bit about automotive mechanics to drive _any_ luxury car out of warranty. About the worst financial mistake you can do is to take out-of-warranty luxury car back to a dealership for _any_ reason that is not a recall. They are _trained_ by dealership on how to rip you off.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #138 on: May 07, 2011, 09:13:49 PM

Can't believe SUVs are still going for as much as they are, even early-2000s ones with miles on them.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 08, 2011, 08:22:27 AM

Can't believe SUVs are still going for as much as they are, even early-2000s ones with miles on them.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Americanz dun' be very smrt.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: