Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341537 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: October 15, 2018, 06:06:02 PM

Because I'm a big dude and they're comfortable to get in and out of. It fits my family comfy, and I can drop the tailgate and throw the groceries in without problem. It's the best vehicle for me, that's all.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: October 16, 2018, 01:02:55 AM

Because I'm a big dude and they're comfortable to get in and out of. It fits my family comfy, and I can drop the tailgate and throw the groceries in without problem. It's the best vehicle for me, that's all.

Don't you also have to then climb in to get the groceries out again? Also, maybe a Van would be more what you actually need.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: October 16, 2018, 02:52:31 AM

Of course it is.  99% of pickup owners own them because they think they are fucking cool.  Why not just say it?  A pickup has to be literally the worst vehicle in which to put either families or groceries.  And minivans have to be better for big people, surely?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #878 on: October 16, 2018, 02:59:22 AM

Well, I mean, depends on where you live.  Growing up, we had a large pick up truck that we took the family around in.  It was also used constantly for hauling stuff and driving on non-paved roads.  A van would have been kind of shit for most of the stuff we used it for.

The one and only car I ever owned was a 93 ford ranger I drove for about a decade before giving it up and becoming public transit using hipster city folk.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:57 AM

I mean, it was a bit of hyperbole.  My dad has always had trucks, and he always used them for their designed purpose.  Most people do not.  They are never the most convenient, most comfortable option, they are for moving shit around.

Or, you can just have a cool truck if you think it is cool to have a truck.  Nothing wrong with that. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #880 on: October 16, 2018, 04:02:56 AM

Hehe, my first vehicle was a 93 ford ranger ext bed. Bought mainly to move my meager life back and forth to California and Louisiana. Totaled it in a wreck in Louisiana and been driving cars ever since. It was good for hauling things, but impractical for just about everything else (this was back when ext cabs were unicorns). Trucks are now, IMHO, status symbols for those that don't want the SUV taint or work horses around the job site - and those jobs are drying up quickly.

I do like a truck over a van though... vans just never have good enough visibility for me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: October 16, 2018, 06:32:03 AM

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler but with all of the Saudi stuff going on have considered trading it for something like a Crosstrek that gets better mileage.  I can't seem to pull the trigger though.  The thought of driving a 150 HP toy car makes me very sad.  I'm also depressed by the dwindling number of vehicles available with a manual transmission these days.   Get off my lawn!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #882 on: October 16, 2018, 07:11:54 AM

Oh no, TEH PICKUPS DEBATE  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: October 16, 2018, 07:44:49 AM

Don't you also have to then climb in to get the groceries out again? Also, maybe a Van would be more what you actually need.

Climb in? Lolwut? You've seen a truck before, yes? No, a van would not be better, because now I have to duck the liftgate to get the shit out. Thanks, no. For reference, I have an 07 Avalanche, so it's essentially an suv with a small bed. It's not an F800 dually with matching stacks reaching into the sky. I don't tower over Prius' or any of that.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:11 PM

The most comfortable car I ever had was our old '05 Dodge Grand Caravan.  Driving that around was like sitting at home on the couch, and when getting in you didn't have to slide down like a car or climb up like a SUV; you just slid your butt over.

My son is still using it for his family and I'm stunned it hasn't died yet.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:03 AM

Growing up, we had a large pick up truck that we took the family around in.

When I was around 11 or 12 my parents drove us from Idaho to Monterey, California with all three kids and a dog in the bed of dad's pickup (with a canopy on it)  ACK!  But that wasn't quite as illegal then. 

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #886 on: October 17, 2018, 01:57:40 AM

Oh yeah, use to always ride around in the back even on long trips when we were really young.  Then the damn dirty liberals in California outlawed it and ruined my childhood!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #887 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:49 AM

Don't get me started about outlawing people riding in the back of pickups.

Every GM vehicle that I have driven over the past 30 years has been somewhere along the Shit Spectrum.  Get a Nissan or Toyota.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:07 PM

Don't get me started about outlawing people riding in the back of pickups.

Every GM vehicle that I have driven over the past 30 years has been somewhere along the Shit Spectrum.  Get a Nissan or Toyota.

After the build quality on my wife's 2013 Avalon I am refining this filter to - get one of the models that was actually built in Japan. 
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: October 18, 2018, 02:27:04 PM

Heh. Remember that time Toyota issued a recall on their Tacomas because the truck frames were literally breaking in half? Funny stuff.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: October 18, 2018, 04:00:44 PM

Heh. Remember that time Toyota issued a recall on their Tacomas because the truck frames were literally breaking in half? Funny stuff.
I had a tundra that was under that recall, I ignored the recall drove it for 15 years and it was still fine when I sold it. 
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:46 PM

Congratulations!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #892 on: October 19, 2018, 06:45:43 AM

After the build quality on my wife's 2013 Avalon I am refining this filter to - get one of the models that was actually built in Japan. 
True. My FJ is a Hino Hilux.  Ironically, I think the high reliability of the FJ is part of it's demise. People bought one new and didn't need another one.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #893 on: October 24, 2018, 08:45:57 AM

Ok folks, advise me!

I'm driving a 2011 Ford Fiesta. Its past its warranty. Its leaking oil, the fuel efficiency has dropped 20% in the last year or so, and its clearly going to need some significant maintenance soon.

I can manage a new car, especially with the current year end 0% deals right now. What should I consider?

Budget: on the low end. Affordability is a nice thing and I don't get a shit about "prestige" when it comes to cars.
Size: I like small cars. I'm small, I fit in them, and they are easy to park.
Fuel Efficiency: important to me, I want something good on gas considering the crazy prices we pay up here.

Android Auto and related gadgets would be a must. Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless. Admittedly not a car guy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:48 AM

You sound like a Honda Fit customer.

(No idea about android auto availability)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: October 24, 2018, 11:03:01 AM

Honestly, I'm a hybrid convert so a Toyota would be a suggestion from me. 

Caveat, I haven't driven my RAV4 through a winter yet, so no idea how well the battery functions in the cold which needs to be considered.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: October 24, 2018, 12:20:43 PM

The Fit is a great little car, and Android Auto is available on the Sport trim and up.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: October 24, 2018, 12:35:46 PM

This is a good recommendation. I have a couple customers with a newer Fit, and they really like them.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: October 24, 2018, 02:02:09 PM

I've had a Honda Fit for a while and I'm very happy with it. It's an 07 though, so I have no fancy Android features.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: October 24, 2018, 02:03:09 PM

This is a good recommendation. I have a couple customers with a newer Fit, and they really like them.

Every one of the wife's friends has Fits. Nice commuter cars that double as a clowncar when you have to haul stuff. It still amazes me how much shit you can put in one of those cars and not have to remove the seats or anything. It's the compact version of the element. That said, I'd rather go for the driveability and Fit's are damn near soulless cars. I'd go corolla for that if I needed a small car. But if you are looking for utility and basic amenities... Fit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: October 24, 2018, 02:49:08 PM

Dude drives a Fiesta. A Fit is going to feel like a god damn luxury car in comparison.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: October 25, 2018, 12:47:53 AM

I have a similar profile (five foot seven, cheapass, utilitarian, not a car guy) and am on my second Civic. I'm a bit loyal to the brand after the first one got totaled by an asshole T-boning me on the driver's side and I walked away with naught but a couple scratches (2000 model with no side airbags). The '07 that I've been driving since 2014 has needed expensive transmission work once and had its airbags recalled but otherwise I've done no maintenance to it beyond extremely sporadic oil and tire changes and it keeps on chugging. Mine's a coupe so it's not great at hauling but I like having a trunk I can lock things in; I'd never own a hatchback.

I have no idea how the line has changed since 2007, however. Looks like they don't make them hybrid anymore, sadly.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: October 25, 2018, 05:23:03 AM

I have a similar profile (five foot seven, cheapass, utilitarian, not a car guy) and am on my second Civic. I'm a bit loyal to the brand after the first one got totaled by an asshole T-boning me on the driver's side and I walked away with naught but a couple scratches (2000 model with no side airbags). The '07 that I've been driving since 2014 has needed expensive transmission work once and had its airbags recalled but otherwise I've done no maintenance to it beyond extremely sporadic oil and tire changes and it keeps on chugging. Mine's a coupe so it's not great at hauling but I like having a trunk I can lock things in; I'd never own a hatchback.

I have no idea how the line has changed since 2007, however. Looks like they don't make them hybrid anymore, sadly.

The new Civic is quite a lot larger and looks a lot more Gundam-like.  Still good cars, though.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: October 25, 2018, 06:25:56 AM

I like the look of the new Civic. Lease deals right now are awful! or they were a month and a half ago.

Good deals to be had if you're financing though.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #904 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:50 AM

Yeah, the new Civic is nice, I've ridden in Stewie's many times. Probably a bit above what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendations all. I'm at least promising myself that I will actually look at/test drive more than one car this time around. I'm known for being a bit of an impulse buyer.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: October 25, 2018, 06:58:50 PM

I'm still loving my new hybrid Accord. The Civic looks like a toy that fell out of a cereal box, but it is fine from the inside and provides a snazzy, comfortable and surprisingly roomy ride. I'd definitely get black if I had to buy one, as that hides most of the stupid plastic gewgaws and looks OK.  But I hate black cars, especially interiors.  Too many uncomfortable unwanted scalding steam baths in the Southern summers.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #906 on: October 26, 2018, 12:10:51 PM

My personal track record with Nissans forces me to recommend the Versa Note.  Minus that time I had an accident, I've driven four Nissan/Infiniti since 1997 and had three service visits across all of them.  One of those was to look at a Check Engine light, which was reset and never came on again, so not sure that counts.  Once there was a jammed hydraulic lifter on the 2000 Maxima, and a bad wheel bearing on the 2011 G37.

For a long while, I drove a 3.5 litre Altima that had been totaled and salvaged.  Sunroof leaked, but only when it rained.  There was a bad rattle at first, but then the rattly part fell off and it was pretty quiet afterward.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:56 PM

For a long while, I drove a 3.5 litre Altima that had been totaled and salvaged.  Sunroof leaked, but only when it rained.  There was a bad rattle at first, but then the rattly part fell off and it was pretty quiet afterward.

ACK!

Heat shield for something I hope...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #908 on: October 26, 2018, 12:56:56 PM

It was probably the chrome collar from an exhaust pipe, since I only had one of those.  It was a GREAT car.  But my son goes to private school and my wife said I could not pick him up in it anymore.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: October 26, 2018, 03:54:29 PM

My brother and his wife bought a Versa and traded it in before a year was up. Said it was hands down the worst car he'd ever ridden in. Was supposed to be her little commuter, but mileage was not near advertised, and just a cheap piece of shit inside and out. I don't have a single customer that owns one, so I can't comment personally.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: