Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341570 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #700 on: July 07, 2017, 10:23:17 PM

Once almost flipped a rental Taurus just outside of Moffett Field, never came close to driving that reckless in a car I actually owned though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: July 07, 2017, 10:39:38 PM

I wasn't impressed with Mercedes either, not for the sticker price or the maintenance costs. My Audi and BMW experiences have been much better.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my wife's Honda Pilot - I don't really like how it drives and we need to haul more crap, but it can pull our little popup camper and has a 5th row. May have to go up to a bigger car (yuck) or something i don't know.

My wife really likes her Acadia. Not beastly huge, silly comfortable, and floats down the road just nice. Does pretty good in the woods and snow, too. My only gripe is we don't have DOD, so the mileage isn't hot.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44:54 PM

After initially getting a bit...hissy...the wife unit seems somewhat supportive of my new car proposal.  Was not quite expecting that.  Now WTF do I do?  It would be the "family car" that would get upgraded, so it would need to be of a certain size.  I think I want to go the station car route this time, no more minivans or crossovers.  Early contenders are the BMW 3 series (although probably too expensive) or VW Golf or Passat.  Not sure the Golf would be big enough.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: July 08, 2017, 04:21:57 AM

Golfs are pretty damn roomy.

I know Subaru is probably not even really available in that communist paradise you live in but the legacy sedans are pretty nice. Cost about the same as a Golf in the US.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: July 08, 2017, 09:52:45 AM

They do have Subaru over here, but the models are different.  Something called - I shit you not - a Levorg.  It looks kinda cool, but it is called a Levorg.  Levorg.

Will probably go check out the Golf, see if it is roomy enough.  I got five people to move around in that thing, plus the occasional small dog.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #705 on: September 13, 2017, 05:30:49 AM

Wife and I are now out on the search for a CPO to replace my rusting out RSX. We are both tired of the manual + Pittsburgh streets and want something a bit more comfortable for 4-6 hour trips. Test drove a few and the Buick Regal has caught my attention. Planning on the toyota dealership this weekend before we zero in on a list of two potential make/models. I already have the Regal penciled in for one of those slots.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: September 13, 2017, 06:03:30 AM

Wife and I are now out on the search for a CPO to replace my rusting out RSX. We are both tired of the manual + Pittsburgh streets and want something a bit more comfortable for 4-6 hour trips. Test drove a few and the Buick Regal has caught my attention. Planning on the toyota dealership this weekend before we zero in on a list of two potential make/models. I already have the Regal penciled in for one of those slots.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If I'm not mistaken, the Regal is being redesigned for 2018.  If this is the case, you are likely to get a good deal on a 2017 in October unless you like the look of the redesign.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:50 PM

The Honda Accord is a very nice car.  You just need to watch out for the V6s as some of them have the VCM cylinder deactivation and that can make them run rough.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #708 on: September 15, 2017, 05:30:31 AM

Time to change the underwear- I mean insurance company.  Let's discuss which one sucks least.

Nationwide's web site is crap-ish.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: September 15, 2017, 05:55:12 AM

Time to change the underwear- I mean insurance company.  Let's discuss which one sucks least.

Nationwide's web site is crap-ish.

Seconded. Been with them since I started driving, since my agent was friends with my mother. Can't complain about the service, but their website is ass.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #710 on: September 15, 2017, 06:31:09 AM

I always wish I could contribute to these conversations. Alas.

I hear Geico isn't actually as bad as you'd think for a budget company.  I've had co-workers who swear by State Farm due to the local agents. Generally everyone I know who's had to deal with them thinks Nationwide sucks once you have to deal with claims.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: September 15, 2017, 06:49:23 AM

If you are eligible for insurance through USAA there is no one better.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #712 on: September 15, 2017, 07:27:03 AM

I guess I could see if I can somehow connect the dots to become eligible.

KBB says my G37 is worth about $6700-6800 and so I'm struggling to reconcile the insurance premiums.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: September 15, 2017, 07:35:26 AM

I always wish I could contribute to these conversations. Alas.

I hear Geico isn't actually as bad as you'd think for a budget company.  I've had co-workers who swear by State Farm due to the local agents. Generally everyone I know who's had to deal with them thinks Nationwide sucks once you have to deal with claims.

Strange. I've never had a single hiccup with Nationwide filing my claims. Totaled 2 of my cars and side swiped with my driver's side front fender (in the past 28 years) and all was taken care of pretty quickly without any hassles.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #714 on: September 15, 2017, 07:45:40 AM

I haven't had any claim trouble from Nationwide either, but they have decided to jack up my rate beyond what even I can ignore.

What about one of those things that plug into your OBD?  Anyone use one of those?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #715 on: September 15, 2017, 08:46:04 AM

I also hear they've made eligibility easier in recent years (maybe that's just for some of their other products though).

I do my insurance and banking through them and have no complaints.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: September 15, 2017, 09:31:34 AM

As someone in the automotive business, fuck Geico and All State.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: September 15, 2017, 09:38:06 AM

I also hear they've made eligibility easier in recent years (maybe that's just for some of their other products though).

I do my insurance and banking through them and have no complaints.

It was only for banking that they opened it up to anyone (and they clamped back down on that I think.)

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:56 AM

I have had decent luck with Progressive. Couple claims with them over the years and always pay out and my rates have stayed the same. Price is competitive when I periodically do checks.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:15 AM

I've been with Farmers, Geico, Progressive, and AllState.  Progressive was the best of the bunch, but that may have just been a local/regional thing.

Cheaper isn't always better.  If you can afford it, I encourage you to find an agent with a good reputation.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:51 AM

I haven't had any claim trouble from Nationwide either, but they have decided to jack up my rate beyond what even I can ignore.

What about one of those things that plug into your OBD?  Anyone use one of those?

No way I am using a plug in so an insurance company can judge my driving. Living and driving around Pittsburgh is already horrible enough without having to second guess how I'm driving.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #721 on: September 15, 2017, 10:41:29 AM

Yes, this is why I can't contribute. I've had them since I was 16.

On the Nationwide thing it is entirely possible that it was the individuals who had the problems were the cause. This is why anecdotal evidence in small batches sucks.  I recall they complained about payouts, adjusters, and rate hikes throughout the process. I don't know if they were at fault or not, though.

It was only for banking that they opened it up to anyone (and they clamped back down on that I think.)

Yes. Apparently there was a bunch of fraud that happened as soon as they opened it up so they said, "Nope back to Servicemen and their families only."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:43:16 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #722 on: September 15, 2017, 11:50:56 AM

I think I can be a "good" driver for 72 days.  I already am, by the yardstick of not hitting people or things.  Except that one time in the last 20 years.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: September 15, 2017, 01:13:12 PM

Progressive and Geico have both been awful in my experience from a claims perspective, Nationwide is kinda like eh.  I'm sure all of the bigs will take your money just fine and some maybe even make it semi-easy to do so, it's all about if you have an accident or incident that they have to get involved with when you find out if they're worth all that money...

I have USAA now so screw any other insurance company.
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: September 15, 2017, 02:09:34 PM

I think I can be a "good" driver for 72 days.  I already am, by the yardstick of not hitting people or things.  Except that one time in the last 20 years.

I still have that little bit in me that likes to keep testing the 0-60 times and hitting the corners at just under the point where the car gets loose.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #725 on: September 18, 2017, 01:14:45 PM

I still have that little bit in me that likes to keep testing the 0-60 times and hitting the corners at just under the point where the car gets loose.

Yeah, I do too.  We shall see.  I just have to not accelerate more than 9mph per second and not stop faster than 7mph per second (Progressive rules).

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: September 22, 2017, 05:08:39 PM

There's no way that that widget would do anything but raise my rates now.  The ST has turned me into a bit of a hooligan in daily driving.  Not to the point where it's dangerous, but I have no doubt that some of my fellow motorists think I'm kind of a dick.

Edit:

Holy crap, Tesla is doing the 'kick it out for release, we'll patch later' thing for the 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrVekUMmMg

Edit 2: https://streamable.com/hb68a because Tesla is busily removing them from YT.

Only two wiper speeds, no phone media.  They're asking BMW 3 money for this half-baked shitshow of a car.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:21:52 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #727 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:35 PM

Someone else can go first with the Tesla.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: September 28, 2017, 01:58:26 PM

Surly doesn't already own one?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: September 28, 2017, 02:22:45 PM

I want to let everybody know that if you have a parent that has had USAA car or property insurance, you may be eligible yourself. It's not just for veterans anymore.

Meanwhile, I recently bought a Honda Fit and it's amazing.

Drives and parks (and insures) like a subcompact, 40 mpg highway... with as much passenger space as a four-door sedan and as much cargo space as an small SUV (just not at the same time). It's everything I've wanted in a car since they discontinued the Civic Hatchback. Pricier than the rest of the subcompact market, but I still feel like I cheated to get as much car as I did for as little as I paid.

Also I am now fully converted to continuously variable transmissions.

That is all.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #730 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:11 PM

I want to let everybody know that if you have a parent that has had USAA car or property insurance, you may be eligible yourself. It's not just for veterans anymore.

My grandpa was eligible for USAA from actually serving in the military, my mom was eligible through him, I was eligible through her, and my ex-wife was able to sign up through me.  It's very much a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of thing. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: September 29, 2017, 06:42:40 AM

Am I the only one here with the affliction that I want a new and different car about every 2-3 years?  I play a lot of driving sims to help cure this, but there's something about trying a new car that really excites me . 

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: September 29, 2017, 07:09:37 AM

Am I the only one here with the affliction that I want a new and different car about every 2-3 years?  I play a lot of driving sims to help cure this, but there's something about trying a new car that really excites me . 

I tend not to drive that often as I rely on the public transit system for everything outside special destinations and shopping. My wife drives everywhere though... funny as she is the environmental warrior of the family. I like cars and I'd love to do the new one every couple of years, but being poor kills that dream.  why so serious?

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: September 29, 2017, 07:20:54 AM

Perk of having a fantastic and affordable public transport system is that for the times I actually NEED a car, I rent one. And those babies are always brand new.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: September 29, 2017, 09:27:03 AM

No, I just bought another car. Though I wasn't planning on giving up my A6 just yet ..

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: