Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341501 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #490 on: September 26, 2016, 06:54:57 PM

I really debated special ordering for the Adjustable Cruise Control and Lane Shifting, but settled for 'just' the Blind Spot monitors. Backup camera is nifty, even if I don't use it often.

It's AMAZINGLY useful when I do need it, though. It seems a lot of the newer parking lots are being built with narrower parking aisles so you have to back into the lane behind you. The 25-year-old Meijer is easy to get in and out of, the 3-month old Menards I NEED the camera so I don't crash into the other row. very weird.

Also helps with regular parking. You can verify you're pulled-through enough by just hitting reverse and making sure the red line is aligned with the stripe.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #491 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:56 PM

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do when it's time to replace the FJ.
Do what I do: keep it running as long as possible and when it's time to replace it due to rust or a wreck, buy another one from out west. It won't be as easy as going to the local dealer but it's what you want and it's easy enough to do.
I'm debating this right now. On the one hand, it's got just over 45k for a 2008, and it's in great shape. On the other hand, Upstate NY; so winter salt, and rust. No avoiding it, really.

I kind of want to start replacing underbody parts slowly, do a bit each spring. But the frame, at some point it's going to be $$$. And a used one in acceptable condition is going to run $20k, most I've seen are beat to shit.

Plan B is to buy a decent sedan and keep the FJ as a winter rat after that. Then milk the shit out of the sedan as a 3 season car.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #492 on: September 27, 2016, 06:20:05 AM

I'm at 160K on my 2008, but washing it weekly every winter has kept rust away at least. It'd be in perfect shape if it wasn't that every year in Arizona some old person manages to hit the rear quarter lightly. Every. Fucking. Year. Never enough damage to do more than bitch, but the plastic wheel well guards are looking shabby. I'm hoping to retire it to fun use only at the end of next year.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #493 on: September 27, 2016, 08:38:44 AM

Rear camera is pretty helpful if you drive a car instead of a Homermobile of a SUV.

Honestly I'm rather upset that Silicon Valley is Silicon-valley-ing all over cars now.  It's bad enough that they are ruining IT.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:31 PM

Yes.

Is interfacepergers a term?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #495 on: September 28, 2016, 06:44:31 AM

No, but UX is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #496 on: October 26, 2016, 04:22:28 PM

Used a car buyer to buy my new car. Told dealer that showed me cars that I used a car buyer. Dealer sends really mean text messages. Now I feel bad.  undecided I don't like people being mad at me.

Still love my car. I guess I'll just I'll have to endure dirty looks from afar when I take my car in for service.

I mean, I get the anger. It's just my money and my time that I value more at this point. I guess I'm an asshole, but all the guy really did was sit in a car while I drove it.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #497 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:39 PM

I don't know what a car buyer is, but you are completely in the right to tell that dealer to find a new job since he clearly hates his current one.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: October 26, 2016, 04:52:28 PM

Told dealer that showed me cars that I used a car buyer. Dealer sends really mean text messages.
The proper dealer response would have been "I would really like to earn your business, if you can get me their price and your selection I can beat it by $XX" where XX is greater than $1000 not "youse a jerk." I've tried to get dealers to do SOMETHING to try and earn my business and so many of them are just "here's the car I want to sell you and here's the price, I'm not budging" and then I end up walking.  Followed by text messages\emails for a week asking why I'm not interested anymore. Car dealers are shits.

And unless it's a warranty repair, screw going to the dealer for work.  Their techs in many cases are completely incompetent in such a way I'd not trust them to change my oil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #499 on: October 26, 2016, 04:57:46 PM

I don't know what a car buyer is, but you are completely in the right to tell that dealer to find a new job since he clearly hates his current one.

It's a service that buys the car for you: negotiates price, gets the loan, buys your trade, etc. You don't have to haggle price or sit down for hours in the dealer while they play on their cellphones before telling you they can lower the price by 500, but the clearcoat cancels that savings out. I got within the KBB price range, better than the dealer was letting on they'd be able to do, and the whole process took 30 minutes when it was time to get my car. Both times I had bought new previously, I wanted to die at the end of the process.

The dealers were all pretty much the same. There wasn't anything that made me like one over the other. Knowledge/experience/age didn't make a difference in the experience. I spent a ton of time looking at this shit on the internet. More than I spent waiting for a test drive or listening to them trying to sell me something I said I wasn't buying that day.

And unless it's a warranty repair, screw going to the dealer for work.  Their techs in many cases are completely incompetent in such a way I'd not trust them to change my oil.

I get a couple free maintenance visits. Otherwise there's a local German car repair place that's pretty decent.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:01:06 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:37 PM

I have had great experiences with a car broker. When I bought my truck they found the best price for the color/options I wanted, put tint on the windows, and delivered it to my house. Took 15 mins to fill out the paperwork (including financing) and they drove my trade-in away. Talk about painless.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: October 27, 2016, 07:43:23 AM

I thought you wrote 'talk about pantsless'.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #502 on: October 27, 2016, 07:21:55 PM

Oh man that's what I want.  Like, next time I need a car.

Actually I need someone to take my car for an oil change and new tires.  I also need someone to give me a haircut at my office or home.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: October 27, 2016, 07:39:22 PM

I thought you wrote 'talk about pantsless'.

Hmm no I think I wore pants, but it was a close call!

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: October 28, 2016, 01:50:14 PM

When I bought my ST, I had already told them I was using X-Plan pricing and which offers they had in play ($2000 on the hood and 0% 60-month financing) that I wanted to use.  They already knew that I knew where all of the similar cars in the area were and that I was perfectly happy to take my business elsewhere.

Process took under an hour all-in and half of that was just them doing the pre-delivery spit and polish on my new car.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:51:48 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #505 on: December 16, 2016, 11:51:02 AM

I decided on tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:16 AM

Good for you!  Must have been a bitch negotiating winter traffic on steel rims like that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #507 on: December 22, 2016, 09:02:54 AM

The Eagle GTs are actually showing a bit less traction, so yes.  Unless I'm somehow imagining it, which is completely possible.  Trying to work a deal on the purchase+install.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: December 22, 2016, 10:19:21 AM

The goodyear Eagles I have on my Jeep Wrangler are great in dry conditions but TERRIBLE in the rain.  If you feel like you're getting less traction, it may not be your imagination.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #509 on: December 22, 2016, 10:24:45 AM

I assumed it was because as the wear increases, the material changes.  If it is real.  Could be surface conditions, been raining a lot lately after 3-4 months of no rain.

In any case I'm due for tires because of wear.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #510 on: December 23, 2016, 10:55:29 AM

I will never understand why people insist on backing into spots at the grocery store and such - isn't it easier to back out of the spot, where you have more space in the aisle?

The worst are people backing into spots in crowded parking garages - fuck those people. I really notice it in Atlanta, for whatever reason. Especially big obnoxious trucks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: December 23, 2016, 12:21:20 PM

People who can't backup a rig, shouldn't. I do it, because I can successfully back up just fine, and at the grocery store I never know when some idiot ass is going to try to walk behind me while I'm backing out of a spot. I prefer to have clear fields of view, and sometimes it's hard to keep track of areas without getting a spinal injury. I just have zero faith in my fellow human.

But yes, parking garages are a different story. I don't feel the foot traffic pressure there.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: December 25, 2016, 03:07:41 PM

I really debated special ordering for the Adjustable Cruise Control and Lane Shifting, but settled for 'just' the Blind Spot monitors. Backup camera is nifty, even if I don't use it often.

It's AMAZINGLY useful when I do need it, though. It seems a lot of the newer parking lots are being built with narrower parking aisles so you have to back into the lane behind you. The 25-year-old Meijer is easy to get in and out of, the 3-month old Menards I NEED the camera so I don't crash into the other row. very weird.

Also helps with regular parking. You can verify you're pulled-through enough by just hitting reverse and making sure the red line is aligned with the stripe.

I originally did not care one way or the other for rear view camera but after a few close calls with neighbor kids I don't think I would buy another car without one. Don't need it all the time but having a nice bumper level view of exactly whats behind me probably saved a couple kids from some injuries.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #513 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:55 AM

I tried backing into parking spots and I can see the appeal but it wasn't adding enough mojo to my day to make it worth my while to get good at it.  I do have a backup camera, and my wife's car will buzz your ass if you are in reverse and someone is coming from the right or left, so I don't need to back in.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: January 03, 2017, 09:59:47 AM

Parking garages, I back in. Especially if there is a concert, don't be the asshole making everyone wait for you to back out of the spot when there is a line of cars to the roof.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #515 on: January 03, 2017, 11:32:19 AM

Parking garages, I back in. Especially if there is a concert, don't be the asshole making everyone wait for you to back out of the spot when there is a line of cars to the roof.

Sadly most garages around here are angled parking so no chance at this. But I do agree.

Though... who the hell parks in a garage to go to a concert?? Uber that shit!  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #516 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:30 PM

I just stay away from concerts. Get off my lawn!

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: January 09, 2017, 08:19:20 AM

I will never understand why people insist on backing into spots at the grocery store and such - isn't it easier to back out of the spot, where you have more space in the aisle?

The worst are people backing into spots in crowded parking garages - fuck those people. I really notice it in Atlanta, for whatever reason. Especially big obnoxious trucks.

If you drive a pickup truck or other long vehicle, it's very difficult to pull into a parking spot face forward.  One of my vehicles is a 2016 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, which is longer than most parking spaces.  The turning radius is too wide when it's moving forward.    (I still love the truck)

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

If you drive a pickup truck or other long vehicle, it's very difficult to pull into a parking spot face forward.  One of my vehicles is a 2016 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, which is longer than most parking spaces.  The turning radius is too wide when it's moving forward.    (I still love the truck)

I don't mind a truck parking in the back half of the lot taking two end-to-end spaces. It needs to physically fit in somewhere. It's the trying to park in the closest spot and taking up multiple spots that bugs me.

Part of it is my feelings about parking in general. I'm a relatively fit and healthy person, I don't mind walking extra yards (possibly why I'm fit and healthy). There are a lot of older folks or people with issues in general that need to park as close as possible, and I think it's a dick move to take a close spot and make some poor old lady walk farther than you. So the idea of taking multiple spots just bugs me that much more.

And that's not even the mega dick move of people getting handicap tags when they don't really need them. I was still parking near the back when I had a broken toe and walked with a cane, because it's not a big deal and I'm not selfish about things.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:19 AM

I don't mind a truck parking in the back half of the lot taking two end-to-end spaces. It needs to physically fit in somewhere. It's the trying to park in the closest spot and taking up multiple spots that bugs me.

Part of it is my feelings about parking in general. I'm a relatively fit and healthy person, I don't mind walking extra yards (possibly why I'm fit and healthy). There are a lot of older folks or people with issues in general that need to park as close as possible, and I think it's a dick move to take a close spot and make some poor old lady walk farther than you. So the idea of taking multiple spots just bugs me that much more.

And that's not even the mega dick move of people getting handicap tags when they don't really need them. I was still parking near the back when I had a broken toe and walked with a cane, because it's not a big deal and I'm not selfish about things.

With the backup camera, it's dead simple to back my truck into any parking space with a little practice.  The problem is that most drivers are idiots.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:01 AM

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:25 AM

On a separate note, if anyone has any questions on "How a car dealer actually works" my wife does the books for a New Car dealer so I can bounce any questions off her.  Or, if you want to know about Subarus, my son is a Subaru Master tech and I race a Subaru WRX in SCCA Rallycross events on the weekends. 

The most common question I get is "Do I need All wheel drive or 4 Wheel drive in the winter?" The answer is,  it's a nice to have but not a must have.  What you really need is Snow tires, regardless of vehicle.  I cannot stress how much of a difference Snow Tires make.

Here is a great video the demonstates this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

The Rear Wheel drive BMW (with the terrible exhaust) blows away the 4WD on Summer Tires.  Also, while I run studded snow tires on the WRX, you don't really need them unless you do a lot of driving in ice storms or on frozen lakes.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #522 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19:05 AM

OK.  If someone currently driving a G37 wanted a new Subaru, what is a comparable model?

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: January 09, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

OK.  If someone currently driving a G37 wanted a new Subaru, what is a comparable model?

Closest would be a Legacy, and that's not very close.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: January 09, 2017, 11:24:36 AM

Here is a great video the demonstates this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
While I don't disagree about the importance of good tires, that seems ridiculous. Unless there is glare ice or those are racing slicks, there's no reason that 4WD shouldn't be at least moving up the hill.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: