Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: That big world event? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That big world event?  (Read 16762 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: April 16, 2011, 03:50:13 PM

Yeah, it's already over.  awesome, for real

Gigantic queue's and apparently phase 2-3 were just some bosses which were killed within an hour of the even starting.  Several weeks culminating into something most people never saw, good job Trion! Also the rift community is hilarious atm with people trying to defend shitty event design.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:02:03 PM

Yeah I'm reading about this and holy fuck really?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:12:28 PM

why so serious?

That's about it. Trion RickRolled everyone.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:03 PM

On seastone it hadn't spawned yet and now server crashed.

I am the .00000001428%
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:32 PM

I'm on Faeblight; I got in past the queues ok, phase 2 starts and we kill all the bosses in less than an hour, lag is horrifically bad (5000+ latency), phase 3 the entire server converges to RoS entrance (had to be 500+ people all in about a 50 square meter radius), some RP event happens with no actual fighting, everyone gets achievements and we all agree this event was stupid. I think that's a point in its favor at this point since you can just tell anyone that missed it that no, it was pretty horrible and you didn't miss much.

The RP event was kind of interesting I guess.. it made me ask the question, why do Defiants get this hawt Asha babe and we get stuck with holy paladin virtue guy Cyril?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:50:07 PM

... and so Trion learns exacly WHY EQ stopped doing these years ago.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 04:51:50 PM

Well at least they set the bar incredibly low for future events?

Honestly, we made the mistake of running a dungeon right before it started, and so our group came out of the dungeon 10 minutes into the event. Which turned out to be half the running time of the part of the event in which you could actually participate. I spent the remaining time teleporting from zone to zone only to arrive just in time to see that I had missed the event boss -- then my machine hard crashed at a porticulum due to there being so many people around.

As a result, despite actually being on the server and actively trying to participate during most of the time the event was happening -- which presumably puts me one up on almost everyone who did not schedule their day around that 20 minute window -- I nonetheless failed to encounter a single event-specific mob or earn any of the 'good job for being there' achievements.

Then there was Phase 3, which I can charitably describe as 'like playing in a D&D campaign run by an incompetent 13 year old.' Watching NPCs who are all more important than you -- and completely unwilling to interact with you -- solve your problems for you and bicker amongst themselves is certainly the height of RPG storytelling techniques.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 05:49:30 PM

Ashtone server didn't have too many issues - fights were laggy but playable.

From what I saw it was just a major invasion in every zone at once, and there's nothing stopping them doing that more often..if major invasions ever happened outside of Freemarch. The fights between Guardians and Defiant were fun and amusing - sometimes we won, sometimes they did.

Having part III it at the back end of a level 50 zone was stupid - I died 4 times trying to cross it and never made it. My rewards were a quest for a ring that's crappier than what I have now.  Apparently if you made it you did some some nice items. I liked the idea of it not being combat related, so everyone who could make it had a chance, but then sticking out the ass end of nowhere stopped that from happening.

We need more unannounced planetary invasions.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 05:54:46 PM

Well I do feel a bit better in that I did have a hand in downing all three 52 elite bosses in Stillmoor and 1 in Scarlet Gorge and got a shot or two off on the last boss in Scarwood. The phase 3 thing... meh. They could have extended phase 2 to all weekend and had those same boss mobs respawn a few more times and left the phase 3 until tomorrow afternoon, but what do I know. Still no god damn purples from them. Shards are one thing but something other than an achievement would have been kinda cool. Then again... since so many people got bent over, it's probably best this way.

I will say this, I was very surprised in the RoS raid zone that those raid mobs did not have true sight. I roamed around the zone - up to the first gate - for a good 20 minutes just sightseeing. Even tried sapping a few here and there. Not surprisingly, I got the IMMUNE warning, but yeah, stealthing around without even a chirp alert was shocking. Only left because I was trying to glitch my way past the first gate and fell off the bridge into the river.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:12:17 PM

There were epic items from p2? I know there was a shot at a mount but I killed all 4 stillmoor bosses and the last shimmersand boss and got nothing but more sourcestone. P3 gave me absolutely nothing. I didn't think there really was any reward, it was just an event.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 09:20:24 PM

I liked the part where the server went down for some 'last-minue stability fixes' ~30 mins before th event. I logged in when it came back up, and was placed in a 4-hour queue (along with some other guildies). One of my guildies managed to get in, and kept us informed via IRC (this was at 11pm my time due to timezones). One hour later the event was over and we were still in queue; I just said fuck it and went to sleep.

Great Success!  why so serious?

Edit: to be a bit less negative, it looks like they aren't leaving all of us out in the cold after all.

Operating on that assumption, later this week everyone will be receiving an in-game mail with the River of Souls Event Reward Pack containing:

Symbol of Purity – This item starts a quest you can complete to obtain
250 Otherworldly Sourcestone
1x - Purified Treasure Cache – Contains a random chance of obtaining one of the special world drop event rewards from the day of the event
Common – Grave Goods Bag -Unique 20 Slot Bag (NEW ITEM)
Uncommon - Shroud of Anti-Life – Lorn non combat Polymorph
Rare – Nimble Spectral Horse – 90% Speed Mount
Ultra Rare – Swift Spectral Warhorse – 110% Speed Mount
Shadetouched Weapon Cache – The starter item for the Rare Death weapon quests. You can choose whichever level appropriate one you'd like.
The following two Achievements, since not everyone who was (or wanted to be) present was able to obtain them.
Grim Hero
Grim Protector
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:24:33 PM by Zetor »

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:15:53 AM

Miissed phase 2 completely. Tried to get to phase 3, but couldn't make it past the elite mobs. Went and leveled an alt.

Yay. Disappointing.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:50 AM

Live, one-off world events suck in every game - hell, even Blizzard gave up post-AQ and changed to "dailies + small-scale repeated scripted events + instance runs spread over a couple of weeks". Not quite sure why anyone was expecting Rift to do any better.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 04:11:40 AM

Man, everyone's wookie is bent out of shape on this.  My experience was the three bosses spawned in Droughtlands.  I rode there and helped kill them.  Got some loot I haven't had time to sift through.  Didn't go to Phase 3 because I didn't know where it was.  Book it.  Done.

World events always suck, mainly due to technicial limitations.  Everyone who reads this board should know this by now.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:41:37 AM

Everyone who designs games should know better than to design a game around events, too, but here we are.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:55 AM

Personally I think world events are goddamn awesome even with the problems they often have.  Yeah, there's problems and limitations, but for the people that do get to participate, it's still goddamn amazing and not something we should lose.  I was there at the Battle of Kithicor, I saw the Sleeper wake, and I fought in the War of the Shifting Sands, and each one of those events was an incredible experience I'll always remember.

I missed this one, since I've been playing DA2 so much.  I've missed other events, and it's sad, but it doesn't mean that these kinds of events should be removed from these games entirely.  Now, rewards should really not be linked to the events, I think.  They should be there for the experience, not the loot or the titles.  Either that or handle it like Rift is doing - I actually kind of like the 'all subscribers get the prizes' thing they're doing.  But to eliminate them entirely, like WoW has done, to remove the ability for people to go 'yeah man...I was there, and it was glorious' really isn't what's needed, I don't think.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 07:08:13 AM

Eh, I think Undercity and Wrathgate is the way to do it.  You have Thrall, Jainia, etc. show up and of course ask the legendary hero AssrapOrz to aid them.
No lag problems, everyone eventually gets there and feels part of history. 

I say Trion should have an event "Last of the Ascended" where the hero is alone in an instanced world, no mail, chat or anything that connects him to the main server. Then he has to accomplish the goal to exit the instance (with it getting easier and easier to solve if the player is a mungo).   

Devs, if you're reading this, you have my permission to use this idea.  You're welcome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I've been feeling meh about the whole world event due to past experience.  Nothing yesterday changed that.  But I hope Trion surprises me down the line.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:16 AM

I'm in the same camp with Koyasha, the world events don't really hurt anything except for folks who's feeling are hurt too easily.  I especially like how Rift is handing the rewards on this event - everyone gets a chance to open presents!  And the event itself wasn't particularly awesome so if you missed it, no big deal.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:05 AM

Yes, it was disappointing.  However, the response from Hartsman is more than sufficient to make up for it.

I would rather that MMO companies take a chance on something new even if it fails than continue with tried and true.

I salute Trion for their outstanding attitude toward the players.  (Blizzard started that way, but then we got Ghostcrawler.)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 08:47:19 AM

Funny how throwing people loot makes everything better.

I personally have no problem with one time events but there was zero indication that if you didn't log in exactly at 12pst on saturday that you'd miss both phase 2 and 3 of the invasion, especially not after phase 1 lasted weeks.  The fact that they are responding by just giving everyone loot and achievements shows they know they fucked up and went straight into damage control mode.

I would rather that MMO companies take a chance on something new even if it fails than continue with tried and true

This strikes me as particularly funny because nothing about this event was new in any way.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 09:15:11 AM

I would rather that MMO companies take a chance on something new even if it fails than continue with tried and true

This strikes me as particularly funny because nothing about this event was new in any way.

You're right.  I misstated it.  What I ought to have said was

"I would rather that MMO companies take a chance on doing something risky even if it fails than continue with tried and true."

I like that Trion attempted to do a world event with a massive number of players, putting the "massive" into MMO.  I like that they took the risk knowing the limitations would very likely end in disappointment.  I like that Trion is attempting to mollify the players for a dissatisfying experience.

I don't want game companies to simply do what is safe and practical forever more, and never try anything else that might end up being disappointing.  I want them to push the limits.  I enjoy interesting new experiences in games even if they prove to be a let down.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 09:44:23 AM

I personally have no problem with one time events but there was zero indication that if you didn't log in exactly at 12pst on saturday that you'd miss both phase 2 and 3 of the invasion

There was information all over their forums, the exact date and time was listed in game on the special event window you could have clicked on for information. It was that gigantic screen message you got when ever logging on, and you could have clicked on the icon that shows up in your quest tracker for more exact information. During the phase 2 part of the event there was also detailed information about which zones still had bosses to kill, and guess what for phase three it said exactly where to be as well. There were also server broadcasts and a special forum post made detailing even more helpful information in the hours leading up to the event. Quit hating just to hate, because they didn't give you exactly the game you wanted from them.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:50 AM

Oh fuck right off.

"Phase two starts at exactly 12pm PST" does not mean the same thing as .....

"Phase two is going to last all of 30min while we spawn half a dozen bosses which will all be killed"
"Phase three will begin IMMEDIATELY after phase two and last an even shorter duration."

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 10:28:27 AM

I have to agree with  Lakov this time, i assumed phase 2 would last as long as phase 1.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 11:21:37 AM

I personally have no problem with one time events but there was zero indication that if you didn't log in exactly at 12pst on saturday that you'd miss both phase 2 and 3 of the invasion

There was information all over their forums, the exact date and time was listed in game on the special event window you could have clicked on for information. It was that gigantic screen message you got when ever logging on, and you could have clicked on the icon that shows up in your quest tracker for more exact information. During the phase 2 part of the event there was also detailed information about which zones still had bosses to kill, and guess what for phase three it said exactly where to be as well. There were also server broadcasts and a special forum post made detailing even more helpful information in the hours leading up to the event. Quit hating just to hate, because they didn't give you exactly the game you wanted from them.

Technically the quest text DID give you the exact location. However, it gave the name of the place which was not anywhere marked on the map. They could have said at the apex of the endless citadel or given the name of that landmark on the map or something. Unless you already been there and plowed through the elite mobs, you really had no clue where exactly it was located. Granted, I followed the crowd, but had they instanced that part to eliminate or even lvl matched the mobs to the player, I still would have been hard pressed not to ask in general.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 11:37:38 AM

Waste of time.  I wish Trion had used its resources elsewhere. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 12:05:46 PM

I have to agree with  Lakov this time, i assumed phase 2 would last as long as phase 1.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but during the first (aborted) attempt, they said that phase 2 + phase 3 would be over within a matter of hours.  I took that to mean two or three hours.  They also explained pretty clearly that the purpose of this event was to open the well of souls instance.  It all seemed pretty clear to me, but maybe I just got lucky and saw that forum post.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:03 PM

I thought they would be longer as well. They do seem to have realized that this wasn't a success though. So that at least is a good sign.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:31:10 PM

All through beta I kept saying the strength of Rift was the soul system. I kept hearing PR about the dynamic real-time event system. Which I pretty much dismissed.

They kind of backed off on a lot of the promise of the soul system and really pushed the event system.

I am now laughing.

I do admit Trion is pretty good about manning up to their shortcomings on things like this and will work to improve things. Just not sure how much can realistically be done, and the more popular the game gets, the less realistic this kind of thing becomes. I just wish they'd put more time into polishing the soul system and improving roles. Ah, well.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 08:30:16 PM

And how trivial would it have been to have it last several days, with these large events spawning on a timer or whatever.

I have no prior experience with world events on other MMOs, and I am not all upset because I had huge expectations -- but I certainly had expectations of basic competence regarding how to manage the scope and pacing of the events. If someone can explain why it would be so difficult to design similar events that lasted longer than 20-30 minutes, please feel free. Meanwhile, I will continue to feel like the whole thing was basically disappointing and, from where I stand, lacking in ambition rather than some expression of Trion's great willingness to take risks.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:10 AM

IMO, I think herding an entire server into a small area is a bad thing in general, but I don't think that this world event was poorly done either. It showed that servers can actually stay up with that many people in the zone (think of previous events on other games similar to this, I can't remember a game herding an entire server into one spot and not crashing over and over again - WoW's AQ opening anyone? Yeah, fuck that). Hell, I wasn't really experiencing much delay in using abilities when pvp'ing waiting for Alsbeth to spawn. The max person on screen was reached and as a result it phased in guardians and defiants (making pvp fun and weird) and kept the game playable in what would normally be an unplayable situation. That's why I think it was a good place to see how well their servers did and get some ideas of what they can do for world events moving forward.

The fact that they are tossing out boxes of goodies I think is nice, but not even needed.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:45 AM

I'm wondering what happened here, because this was basically a modernized version of the Asheron's Call 1 Shadow Invasion world events from 2000, and we found solutions for these problems back then.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 05:20:09 AM

Storm you guys did wonderful world events, I'm glad I went to AC from UO, that way I could enjoy the world and monthly events instead of the headaches that EQ'ers had to deal with  Grin
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 07:27:30 AM

Would love to hear what those solutions were?  Apparently nobody since has been able to repeat them.

As to this event, I will say that I want more, not less... though fighting through a queue to log in was not the best, and having the server crash (along with our whole grouping apparently) in the middle of Phase 3 was less than stellar; I love the fact that our server is still full with hundreds of high level players active after a month in game.  Phase 2 actually went pretty well except for how fast it was over.  More bosses over more time seems like it should work out.  I don't know if they EVER need to have a final, one-time-location event, though... not until they can handle 400 people standing on top of each other at least.

For the last hour we were killing people I never saw... tab-target attack and assume people are dying as you watch the Prestige roll across the screen.

Then a big Boss starts talking, and I can target her but never saw her materialize on my screen :).
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 07:45:24 AM

Didn't Asheron's Call have that thing where if too many people got into one area, random people would be teleported away?

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: That big world event?  
Jump to: