Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:06:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  (Read 193131 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 06:57:49 AM

Heh.

No.

Sam wears hats.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 03:05:28 PM

Easy fix. Take a couple of the extraneous dwarves nobody really cares about, like Bofur or Oin, and give them vaginas. Insert hilariously implied dwarven three-way-in-a-barrel after the escape from the elves.
How do you know that half of the dwarves weren't females?  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 03:52:50 PM

Easy fix. Take a couple of the extraneous dwarves nobody really cares about, like Bofur or Oin, and give them vaginas. Insert hilariously implied dwarven three-way-in-a-barrel after the escape from the elves.
How do you know that half of the dwarves weren't females?  awesome, for real

Because the ratio of female to male dwarves is 1:3.   Ohhhhh, I see.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:44 AM

Bah. According to Netflix, The Hobbit is not on DVD.  Maybe I can find this on ebay.

edit: yup. $4.99 +$3 SH on VHS.  I actually still have a working VHS.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:16:08 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:42 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Heart

With the notable exception of things that were family outings, the last film I have seen in a theater was Return of the King, and it looks like the Hobbit part 1 will be the next.

Given everyone involved, I don't see how this can be anything but wonderful.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 02:26:12 PM

So it seems the second part of the movie will bridge direclty into the start of Jackson's Fellowship making this - what? - a Middle-Earth Penalogy?

What I'm really excited about - and rather nervous, tbh - is the apparent intent to treat the White Council material that is in the "sub books". I've always wondered just what the Gandalf, Galadriel, Saruman and the rest did to drive the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur when they "put forth their power".

And remember, the Necromancer is actually Sauron which is great and interesting but this may place Mr. Jackson in a pickle.

You see, in his movies he made the mistake of taking Tolkien literally and making Sauron a giant eyeball while choosing to ignore, for whatever reason, Tolkien's own letters in which the Professor states that Sauron at the end of the Third Age did indeed have a physical form that should be thought of as "exceedingly terrible". Jackson also ignored the fact that Gollum, who was brought before Sauron for questioning in the time between The Hobbit and The Fellowship, says that he (Sauron) has "only nine fingers". So I sincerely hope Jackson does not stick another eyeball in Dol Guldur as yet another of his poor interpretations, though how he would connect the incarnate Maia that Tolkien intended with "Eyeball Sauron" I cannot say.

Oh, and looks like that girl from "The Lovely Bones" will be playing an Elf so you’re looking at a crowbar-in love story right there which, as far as I can remember has no basis whatsoever in the books - even the latterly published gleanings from the great man's wastepaper basket...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:39:36 PM by VainEldritch »

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 02:56:43 PM

I'm still optimistic.  Also, regarding a human form, he was there in full armor at the start of the trilogy, losing a finger.  Not impossible to put back in semi scarry armor or robes.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34:12 PM

So it seems the second part of the movie will bridge direclty into the start of Jackson's Fellowship making this - what? - a Middle-Earth Penalogy?

What I'm really excited about - and rather nervous, tbh - is the apparent intent to treat the White Council material that is in the "sub books". I've always wondered just what the Gandalf, Galadriel, Saruman and the rest did to drive the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur when they "put forth their power".

And remember, the Necromancer is actually Sauron which is great and interesting but this may place Mr. Jackson in a pickle.

You see, in his movies he made the mistake of taking Tolkien literally and making Sauron a giant eyeball while choosing to ignore, for whatever reason, Tolkien's own letters in which the Professor states that Sauron at the end of the Third Age did indeed have a physical form that should be thought of as "exceedingly terrible". Jackson also ignored the fact that Gollum, who was brought before Sauron for questioning in the time between The Hobbit and The Fellowship, says that he (Sauron) has "only nine fingers". So I sincerely hope Jackson does not stick another eyeball in Dol Guldur as yet another of his poor interpretations, though how he would connect the incarnate Maia that Tolkien intended with "Eyeball Sauron" I cannot say.

Oh, and looks like that girl from "The Lovely Bones" will be playing an Elf so you’re looking at a crowbar-in love story right there which, as far as I can remember has no basis whatsoever in the books - even the latterly published gleanings from the great man's wastepaper basket...

Wasn't Sauron supposed to come face Aragorn in the movie version of ROTK? I seem to remember Jackson (or some source) saying that The Eye was a manifestation of Sauron's power, not Sauron himself. (Not that I"m defending Jackson. I think the movies were a mixed bag.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:35:43 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 05:44:38 PM

Yes, he was. He was digitally replaced with a troll at the last minute. It's mentioned in the extras from the extended DVD set.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the films that says Sauron is an eye and an eye only. The eye is just ONE manifestation of Sauron. In fact, I think Gandalf mentions that Sauron is yet not strong enough to take physical form so the eye form is suggested to be more of a phase.

Besides, you have to admit it makes for a much more iconic bad guy than a tall dude in a black suit of armour does.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 05:46:25 PM

Sauron's physical form appears in the original movie trilogy anyway, we watch Isildur chop his finger off during the HERE IS YOUR EXPOSITIONAL INFO DUMP at the start of the first movie. So yeah the 'he is just an eye' thing is categorically false even in the movies.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 06:05:30 PM

Not that they'll do it, but they could have the WC destroy Sauron's physical form and he flees to Mordor as a big flamin' eye

Sauron assumed a fair form during his captivity in Numenor.  When that kingdom was destroyed, his body was caught in the catastrophe and he thereafter was unable to assume a fair form.  His body was described as black and burning hot.

He kept this form when he lost The Ring, but in the Third Age he most frequently appeared as a single fearsome eye.
I assume Sauron preferred to reveal himself as this to scare the crap out of folks even more.

Cool sidenote:  According to my source (Complete Guide to Middle Earth) Sauron wasn't destroyed when the Ring was destroyed but afterwards he was so weakened that he could never again assume physical form. 

And for thirty years now I thought Sauron was just a evil spirit, which is dumb, because he needs a physical body to put the Ring on eh?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 06:11:41 PM

To get technical, he probably is best described as an evil spirit. The Maiar are basically immortal spirits that can take various physical forms.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 06:25:24 PM

Spot on.  Sauron has also assumed the forms of a werewolf and a (non-sparkly) vampire. 

I'll probably catch hell for this, but I'm pretty much OK with whatever Jackson does with Dol Guldur and all that.  I just want to see two good Middle Earth films.  I know Jackson took liberties with the trilogy but fuck it, Michael Bay could be directing.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:08 PM

I know Jackson took liberties with the trilogy but fuck it, Michael Bay could be directing.

He removed the one scene in The Fellowship of the Ring where the Witch King necrobitchslaps a hobbit a 50 yards.  He removed Strider being a total dickhead to Sam in the inn.  He removed Gandalf and Elrond totally high-fiving each other over how much awesome shit they threw into the flood and the Ringwraiths getting their shit mauled with fire and thrown into the flood.  He removed the barrow wight and the blades of MONUMENTAL PLOT SIGNIFICANCE.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:47:54 PM by Sheepherder »
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:12 AM

Not that they'll do it, but they could have the WC destroy Sauron's physical form and he flees to Mordor as a big flamin' eye

For some reason I can only envision this like Pacman getting a power pill boost, killing a ghost, and it going wuuwuwuwuwu back to Mordor.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 03:34:59 AM

I know Jackson took liberties with the trilogy but fuck it, Michael Bay could be directing.

He removed the one scene in The Fellowship of the Ring where the Witch King necrobitchslaps a hobbit a 50 yards.  He removed Strider being a total dickhead to Sam in the inn.  He removed Gandalf and Elrond totally high-fiving each other over how much awesome shit they threw into the flood and the Ringwraiths getting their shit mauled with fire and thrown into the flood.  He removed the barrow wight and the blades of MONUMENTAL PLOT SIGNIFICANCE.

Really ?

Really Sheepherder ?  You're gonna go there ?  Not even I went there.

Jackson did fine.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:31 PM

Fine being the operative word.

But he trimmed more than Tolkien neckbeard.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 01:22:35 AM

Not only that, his treatment of Gandalf during the siege of Minas Tirith - particularly the dire encounter with the Witchking - was nothing short of abuse.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 03:32:33 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm so glad I read the books AFTER I saw the movies.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:00 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm so glad I read the books AFTER I saw the movies.

Beating a Dead Horse

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:57 AM

Sauron assumed a fair form during his captivity in Numenor.  When that kingdom was destroyed, his body was caught in the catastrophe and he thereafter was unable to assume a fair form.  His body was described as black and burning hot.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 02:46:05 PM

Not only that, his treatment of Gandalf during the siege of Minas Tirith - particularly the dire encounter with the Witchking - was nothing short of abuse.

You win for missing my point harder than Sheepherder.

If I wanted, I could get laid into some of the changes and omissions too.

But you know what ?  It's really, really not worth it.

Enjoy your half a loaf.  You never know when you're gonna get another one.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:14 PM

So, Stephen Fry is going to play the Master of Lake-Town.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 19, 2011, 09:21:29 PM

Enjoy your half a loaf.  You never know when you're gonna get another one.

Here's the problem: the movies had less explosions and dismemberment than the books written by an old neckbeard in the depths of time (at the very least the first one was lacking in this manner).  By this metric alone I can prove Jackson's failure as a director.  The random fucking with plot threads that made a bunch of shit incoherent is just sauce.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:24:18 PM by Sheepherder »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:20 AM

The question has to be asked: did you buy the DVDs?

I have never played WoW.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:48 PM

Enjoy your half a loaf.  You never know when you're gonna get another one.

Here's the problem: the movies had less explosions and dismemberment than the books written by an old neckbeard in the depths of time (at the very least the first one was lacking in this manner).  By this metric alone I can prove Jackson's failure as a director.  The random fucking with plot threads that made a bunch of shit incoherent is just sauce.

I was holding out on deciding for sure until now, but I guess you really just are fucking nuts.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 20, 2011, 01:39:46 PM

No.

I was holding out on deciding for sure until now, but I guess you really just are fucking nuts.

I can't help it that pretty much the only scene in the first movie that didn't bore the fuck out of me was Gandalf delivering a smackdown on the Balrog.  Seriously, the pacing is just fucking atrocious.  You get to be neckbeardy and stick to the source material, or you get to make massive changes to the source material and make up for it with Baysplosions, you don't get to be explosion-less and neckbeardy.

Everything between Weathertop and them sitting in front of the door to Moria was just fucking tedious.  You know what it really could have used?  Gandalf exploding some wolves.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:47:43 PM by Sheepherder »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #62 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:16 PM

No.

I can't help it that pretty much the only scene in the first movie that didn't bore the fuck out of me was Gandalf delivering a smackdown on the Balrog.  Seriously, the pacing is just fucking atrocious.  You get to be neckbeardy and stick to the source material, or you get to make massive changes to the source material and make up for it with Baysplosions, you don't get to be explosion-less and neckbeardy.

Everything between Weathertop and them sitting in front of the door to Moria was just fucking tedious.  You know what it really could have used?  Gandalf exploding some wolves.

"oh yes, by the way my friends, I got a side quest from one of those elves in Riven... I have to collect 15 wolf asses"  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 20, 2011, 02:40:02 PM

No, I'm with the Sheepherded on this one, LOTR was a series of movies that didn't know if they wanted to be a summer action flick, or a why so serious? adaptation of the books, and that waffling in the middle produced some pretty incoherent garbage. In between neat SFX like the Balrog, and cool moments from the books, there's terrible acting, directing, meandering moments, and comically bad use of CGI.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 20, 2011, 02:50:47 PM

"What did i tell you, Mr Pippin?"  said Sam, sheathing his sword.  "Wolves won't get him.  That was an eye-opener, and no mistake!  Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:03 PM

So, which one of you has the longer ponytail?

-Rasix
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 03:07:12 PM

No, I'm with the Sheepherded on this one, LOTR was a series of movies that didn't know if they wanted to be a summer action flick, or a why so serious? adaptation of the books, and that waffling in the middle produced some pretty incoherent garbage. In between neat SFX like the Balrog, and cool moments from the books, there's terrible acting, directing, meandering moments, and comically bad use of CGI.

Hey hipster, can I get you another Pabst?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:33 PM

Me! Me me!

There ain't no shame in liking a bad movie. I liked the Star Wars prequels, but I know they're bad. Same for LOTR.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM by Ratman_tf »

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:13 PM

"What did i tell you, Mr Pippin?"  said Sam, sheathing his sword.  "Wolves won't get him.  That was an eye-opener, and no mistake!  Nearly singed the hair off my head!"

Yeah, I kinda agree here. Book-Gandalf had fireballs and crap like that, which surprised me when I read it.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 20, 2011, 03:26:08 PM

Me! Me me!

There ain't no shame in liking a bad movie. I liked the Star Wars prequels, but I know they're bad. Same for LOTR.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but millions of moviegoers and the Academy Awards disagrees with your assessment it's a bad movie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  
Jump to: