Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  (Read 193073 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:25 AM

filiming has started with Jackson in NZ.  First blog of pre-production and filming below.  And no, there was no separate thread yet.  Merge if so.  Otherwise, squee and squee and squee.

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/the-hobbit/start-of-production

Edit: Oh, and Sir Ian is in the clip.  Boasting a fine cap.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:19:55 AM by Soln »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:25:54 AM

So I just had a look at the cast page.  Lots there to be excited about.  Except...

Were Frodo, Legolas, Saruman, and Galadriel in The Hobbit?  Shit, was Frodo even born yet when Bilbo was off having his adventures?

We're going to be telling the entire story as a series of flashbacks, aren't we.   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:47:44 AM

So I just had a look at the cast page.  Lots there to be excited about.  Except...

Were Frodo, Legolas, Saruman, and Galadriel in The Hobbit?  Shit, was Frodo even born yet when Bilbo was off having his adventures?

We're going to be telling the entire story as a series of flashbacks, aren't we.   swamp poop

If I had to guess:

Frodo and old Bilbo will be used as a framing device for telling the story to get viewers up to speed on where and when the story takes place, and to convey some of how Bilbo was feeling.  It might even be necessary, because the narrative voice in The Hobbit was much different from LOTR....  it showed Bilbos transition from out of his depth and almost a burden to the defacto leader and most important character.

Legolas should have been at the Mirkwood palace scenes and the Battle of Five Armies, but he was a later canon addition.  Sticking him in doesn't really mess anything up.

A big part of the plot of The Hobbit is that Gandalf has to leave the party at the beginning of Mirkwood, to race back to Rivendell to make a meeting of the White Council where they decide to go knock on the gates of Dol Guldor.  In the book, this is downplayed.  In the movie, you'll have to illustrate why he can't hang around otherwise it looks like a major plot hole where Gandalf just takes off and abandons the rest.

Okay:

David Tennant as Thandruil and Leonard Nimoy as Smaug?  Yes.  Yes please!
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:16:32 AM

Yes, Frodo will be framing it at the start. Not necessarily a flashback, but probably more of a storytime thing.

And they're going to show Gandalf and the White Council vs. The Necromancer. I think details are still being speculated, but I'm guessing there's probably going to be a Big Zombie Skeleton Fight. (Or maybe they'll show up at Dol Guldor and there'll be nobody there...oooooo.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:22:12 AM

The original concept (I don't know if Jackson changed this) was that the two movies would span the story of the Hobbit and the years leading up to LOTR.  I'm not fond of this idea.  The Hobbit alone could comprise two full 3 hour movies, with the journey to Lonely Mountain being the first and the interation with Smaug/Battle of Five Armies comprising the second.  

I can't quite remember from lore, but I think that Legolas and Galadriel are in the same area during this time, though they should not be in Rivendell.  Frodo would not have been alive during the Hobbit, and I have no idea what Saruman was up to.  Ascending to White Wizard, maybe?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:20 AM

Leonard Nimoy as Smaug?  Yes.  Yes please!

Maybe, just maybe, we can get him to sing Bilbo Baggins for us. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

The original concept (I don't know if Jackson changed this) was that the two movies would span the story of the Hobbit and the years leading up to LOTR.  I'm not fond of this idea.  The Hobbit alone could comprise two full 3 hour movies, with the journey to Lonely Mountain being the first and the interation with Smaug/Battle of Five Armies comprising the second.  

I can't quite remember from lore, but I think that Legolas and Galadriel are in the same area during this time, though they should not be in Rivendell.  Frodo would not have been alive during the Hobbit, and I have no idea what Saruman was up to.  Ascending to White Wizard, maybe?

Legolas is Thandruil's son, so he should be in Mirkwood/palace/Battle of Five Armies.

Galadriel was one of the big powers on the White Council, so she would have traveled to Rivendell for that and to bitchslap the Necromancer. 

If the movie was structured like Princess Bride, with old Bilbo narrating the story to Frodo...  I think that would work very, very well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:10 PM

As long as we dispense with the Kissing Parts.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:58 PM

Are you saying you don't want to see the smoldering yet doomed passion between Gollum and Bilbo?

WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 02:14:29 PM

As long as we dispense with the Kissing Parts.

Especially Frodo and Sam.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:55:34 PM

For some reason I'm not really excited about this. I'll probably change my tune but well, it's a prequel. Sure, it has the advantage of not being written by George Lucas but it just doesn't do anything for me. Oddly if it'd been released before the LOTR movies I might be more excited. I know, I don't understand it either.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 06:05:54 PM

Has there been any info on what the shoved-in romance plot is going to be that every big-budget movie must have? I don't remember there being many women in the Hobbit.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:47 PM

Easy fix. Take a couple of the extraneous dwarves nobody really cares about, like Bofur or Oin, and give them vaginas. Insert hilariously implied dwarven three-way-in-a-barrel after the escape from the elves.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53:02 AM

Dol Guldur (Hill of Sorcery) was the hideout of Sauron (minus his ring of course) in southern Mirkwood.  The Wise discovered an evil presence there but left it alone for a thousand years while it corrupted the forest.  See below.  Finally Gandalf went alone to scout the place and Sauron was like "LOL, I'm out bitches" and fled.  Four hundred years later Sauron returned and was like "Whuz up?"  Four hundred years after THAT Gandalf returned (it's implied he went alone) and discovered Sauron was the evil force. Then about one hundred years after THAT, the White Council (led by Saruman) drove Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

Saruman, hoping for Sauron to basically lead him to the ring, in his role as the head of the White Council, delayed and lied to the rest.  He vetoed one assault urged by Gandalf, but one can think that the pressure finally forced him to order the attack on Dol Guldur which drove Sauron to Mordor.  Only a few years later Saruman founded Isengard and started forming his orc army.  Noted for first Diversity Program in Middle Earth.

So Gandalf was central to this as was Galadriel and Celeborn.  The reason Gandalf was so happy during most of The Hobbit?  Saurman told the White Council that the Ring had fallen away to the sea. 

/nerd off

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:15 AM

For some reason I'm not really excited about this.
I think that's because, while we had only relatively crappy versions of the Lord of the Rings, there's already an acceptable version of the Hobbit.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 08:54:05 AM

Meh, all three of those were pretty much on par with each other. I think the animated Hobbit is just the most remembered.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 10:22:20 AM

I've never seen the Rankin-Bass ROTK, but the Rototscoped LOTR is in no way on the same level as The Hobbit.   It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great, either.  (Although it did have an awesome soundtrack)  

The Hobbit, on the other hand, was really good and only suffers in a few spots, like the removal of the Bear dude and the horrible Elf & goblin designs.  Those last two I blame more on the shitty fantasy art of the 70's than the movie itself.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 10:42:24 AM

I'm excited about the new Hobbit movie but I know I'm going to be annoyed with it. Simply because the Hobbit is not supposed to be a prequel but I'm sure they're going to cram in as many LotR movie references as possible so the viewers can connect the two. So pretty much what Samwise said.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:54:55 AM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 11:16:17 AM

My hope is, that those are very subtle hints at LotR. I get the feeling we are going to see Bilbo's book a lot if it's a story-tell movie.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 06:05:36 PM

I've never seen the Rankin-Bass ROTK.

Wow, thanks for the fond memories.

Do.  They did it as well as The Hobbit.  Plus the whip song is  awesome, for real.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:10 PM

It seemed like the guys who did some of the Hobbit from 1977 did some of the stuff for the movie Heavy Metal, must be the rotoscope style.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 11:43:07 PM

Do.  They did it as well as The Hobbit.  Plus the whip song is  awesome, for real.
Was that the same Hobbit that had the Smaug dragon who looked like some kind of mutant cat?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 12:24:54 AM

Was that the same Hobbit that had the Smaug dragon who looked like some kind of mutant cat?

Yup.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 12:38:40 AM

Wow.

That's the most retarded Dragon I've ever seen.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:39 AM

Wow.

That's the most retarded Dragon I've ever seen.
I remember thinking just about the exact same thing.  As far as I can remeber, Gandalf and the Hobbits were the only characters in that movie who i thought were properly desinged.  The elves, dwarves and the dragon all looked nearly pants on head retarded.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 02:33:04 AM

The elves of Rivendell looked ok, but the forest elves looked ridiculous.  I thought the dwarves weren't too bad either, but I can see where you're coming from on that one.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 04:55:25 AM

As I said.. Fantasy art in the 70s: Total Shit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 05:11:37 AM

Was this the version of LOTR where they decided that the name Saurman sounded too much like Sauron and changed it to Aruman? Then managed to call him Saruman half the time anyway?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 05:17:22 AM

Leonard Nimoy   ...    Smaug (rumored)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:45 AM

Yeah, I think Sam rumored it all the way up the top of the page.

I don't want him to be Smaug.  I dislike Galvatron in my Dragon.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 05:49:20 AM

Ah, the Rankin-Bass ROTK. Been a while. So very, very wrong to hear most of the voice work done by Saturday morning cartoon performers, and the sound effects too. The Eowyn-Witch King scene is completely  swamp poop
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:08 AM

Okay:

David Tennant as Thandruil and Leonard Nimoy as Smaug?  Yes.  Yes please!

I swear to God my avatar creates some kind of perception filter.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 06:26:22 AM

Yeah, I think Sam rumored it all the way up the top of the page.

I don't want him to be Smaug.  I dislike Galvatron in my Dragon.

Better than starscream.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:37 AM

Ok, I called you Samwise, but in fairness Sam, In Real Life, is in fact a couple of cute wee dingo doggy things, so you can see how I got confused.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 06:41:46 AM

I thought Samwise looked like this:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  
Jump to: