Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soul opinions  (Read 126897 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:33 PM

I focus on my main soul, and keep it capped at my level. With the few extra points you get, I put them in my alt soul with a focus on things that don't buff soul-specific abilities.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 06:06:03 AM

I find that you need to get to approx lvl 18-20 before you have enough "lift" to spend points according to a plan.  In the early levels, just grab abilities that make leveling easy... then respect hard and often to capture new and better root abilities as they become available.  That combined with a second role at early levels should give you more than enough flexibility to have 2 builds to group and solo.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 06:59:57 AM

In beta I originally was splitting evenly between the first two souls with an occasional point dropped in the first tier talents of the third.  I began to realize shit was taking forever to kill and this was suboptimal.   I respecced to focus on one soul as the "Main" and put as many points into it as possible and things got better.  You're capped per level after a point, at which time you start to invest in the 2nd soul.  The 3rd really is only worth it for a few low-hanging skills and the 0-pt abilities, so I always made that a pet class of some sort.

I agree with March that respec early and often seems to work well. A few times I even switched which soul was my main because one of the others was working better at that level or with the gear I'd gotten.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 07:39:44 AM

I found it really depended upon the souls I was using.  Some I split evenly, some I focused as much in one tree as possible.  With so many combinations there cannot be a single best method.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 07:58:37 AM

So hilarious bug/should be a bug with reavers.

You know how infection says "deals X damage per reaver dot on the target"?

You notice how it doesn't say anything about them being YOURS?

You ever wonder why you just crit a boss for 1500 at level 20 with an ability that usually does about 270 damage? :D
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:00 AM

0-pt pet classes are only good up to around lvl 30, by lvl 40 they're probably near useless cept to maybe buy a few seconds.  My plan is to dump it for something else eventually or maybe use the pet to leech health/mana.

Right now I'm working on a Dom/Storm/Ele build and it's a bear.  Based on pure control, mana-gement, and direct dmg.  I had an uber dom/lock/necro build before but DoTs arent smart with CC builds.  I'd lvl with it but respeccing and then re-organizing comfortably down the road would be  why so serious?.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 09:14:48 AM

I looked at the dominator soul the other day for the first time.  What's up with the top tier point?  It affects player/player pet only?  Am I reading it wrong, or is that PvE soul's top ability for PvP only?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:34 AM

You notice how it doesn't say anything about them being YOURS?
Oh wow.  That would make a Reaver paired with a Warlock/Necro a wonderful combination in PvE or PvP.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:36 AM

I am playing my assassin just like I played my witchhunter in WAR... being a vulture on the outside looking in for an easy meal. Of course, I have yet to dip into the PvP part, but I am going to keep with that and disrupting healers/mages/rangers.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 12:00:23 PM

I need some advice on a good Rogue PVP spec; I'm level 20, and my MM build just feels useless in WFs. I've got most (all?) of the souls unlocked except the PVP one. That costs favor right? Anyone know where the unlock is on the Defiant side?

Hell, is there a good spoiler site out there? Telarapedia is the best I've seen so far, but it doesn't really have much info on it.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 02:10:05 PM

Catari Command Center, left side, Desma Chontos the Cadet Quartermaster should sell your PvP soul.  2500 Favor.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 02:23:36 PM

Found it, thanks.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 02:56:18 PM

So. Many. Marksmen.

I just got out of three games where the other team was ~7 marksmen just hanging out defending points. So goddamned hard to catch.
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 26, 2011, 03:19:07 PM

So. Many. Marksmen.

I just got out of three games where the other team was ~7 marksmen just hanging out defending points. So goddamned hard to catch.

I figure by next month people will figure out the hammer to those nails. From what I have seen, ranged pet classes are huge huge huge so far. So far I have only run across two other stealths on the server - which I kinda like.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 04:33:13 PM

I figure there will be about 2-3 realistic builds per class once everything settles down.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 07:17:01 AM

I looked at the dominator soul the other day for the first time.  What's up with the top tier point?  It affects player/player pet only?  Am I reading it wrong, or is that PvE soul's top ability for PvP only?

That is correct.  Both top tier and root abilities are PvP only, which to me is a good thing for the simple reason it's terribly OP.  Originally this build was for Sunrest, but I cant even get on there without botting the login.  So I figure I'll just respec and occasionally go on long stints of PvP in the lvl 50 Warfront.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:29 AM

This sounds...odd. So many OHWOWTHISCLASSROCKS posts? Surly there must be some duds? What souls are not being used much, and why not?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 09:18:47 AM

This sounds...odd. So many OHWOWTHISCLASSROCKS posts? Surly there must be some duds? What souls are not being used much, and why not?

The duds become more recognizable after level 20.  From what I'm reading on the pvp forums (doing my best to filter white noise) there are many duds when it comes to pvp. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:00 AM

Anything that is not the very best is going to be considered a dud by the raiding and pvp crowds.  Either you are topping damage charts and getting 20 killing blows per match or you suck.  So far of the warrior souls the only one i would call a dud is the warlord, because it is entirely a support soul.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 10:03:46 AM

I'm impressed my the amount of thought that has gone into each tree.  It seems to me that the trees have very distinct purposes in mind.  Each tree is a tool to be used for a particular situation.  If I want to be a healer, I have three options: standard healing, hots, or bubble + heals.  You can also mix and match to find the sweet spots in each of the trees. 

Sadly, I can also see some of the shortcomings in late game pvp.  Many silence abilities, cc, and healing reduction abilities will make healing a tough role to be effective at in a pvp environment. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 01:09:42 PM

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of healing reduction skills.  Since the idea that killing the healer might be better than futilely beating on the warrior that's being healed is lost on many people in the warfronts, and all.

And after getting blasted out of my boots by an Inquisitor last night, I'm not feeling any pity for those bastard clerics.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:00 PM

I'm impressed my the amount of thought that has gone into each tree.  It seems to me that the trees have very distinct purposes in mind.  Each tree is a tool to be used for a particular situation.  If I want to be a healer, I have three options: standard healing, hots, or bubble + heals.  You can also mix and match to find the sweet spots in each of the trees.
Chloromancer says "Hi there!".  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 04:23:58 PM

I'm impressed my the amount of thought that has gone into each tree.  It seems to me that the trees have very distinct purposes in mind.  Each tree is a tool to be used for a particular situation.  If I want to be a healer, I have three options: standard healing, hots, or bubble + heals.  You can also mix and match to find the sweet spots in each of the trees.  

Sadly, I can also see some of the shortcomings in late game pvp.  Many silence abilities, cc, and healing reduction abilities will make healing a tough role to be effective at in a pvp environment.  

Agree.  There's a wicked amount of strat. options buried in these classes.  As for healing, HoTs will be the best option against organized pvp imo.  There's just way too much CC, silence, and mana drain/burn to sit there and try to standard heal all the time.  Matter of fact, there's so much 'control' in this game that one really doesnt even NEED to kill a healer.  Just keep him locked-down until you're done burning through the rest of the group.

There's also an assload of abilties that are essentially all "why you hittin yourself?"  You can throw debuffs on people that'll only proc if they use an ability, and some are pretty damned gnasty... hitting health, energy, mana, and so on.  So I can stack all this shit on you essentially "in secret" and then walk away.  If you fail to cleanse before you attk someone, you're fucked.   Heart   Some are even an AE effect or hit you if you receive healing, etc.

So where is all this broken?  Doesnt help you in the dmg. rankings.  :(    

Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 05:18:30 PM

I am so going to respec into sab. assassin/sab/rift should be full of lulz.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 05:19:22 PM

Matter of fact, there's so much 'control' in this game that one really doesnt even NEED to kill a healer.  Just keep him locked-down until you're done burning through the rest of the group.

The devs must have played DAoC.  Keeping a healer interrupted and/or locked down meant that they would rely on their instas.  I can see a purifier being a good pvp build in that they have bubble and insta heal for keeping at least themselves and a single target going.  Warden is also attractive in that their dd's are insta.  

I think pvp will suffer for the same reason that WAR did.  Too much cc, silence, interrupts, and heal reduction.  It makes playing a caster/cleric less fun and feel like less of a contributor.  My zealot felt useless at times in WAR.  

-  Mark Twain
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 05:21:01 PM

Mage is 42 now, I was originally only going far enough in Necro (Necro/Lock build) to pick up Soul Purge but as soon as the pet stopped scaling at 30 he started being pretty useless, I respec'd into full necro and now the pet is a wrecking machine. I tried out Dominator in PvP, it's difficult to see how to play it in a Warfront or even what to pair it with. The soul system is awesome though.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 05:25:57 PM

So where is all this broken?  Doesnt help you in the dmg. rankings.  :(    

Wait, if i airburst someone that doesn't count as my damage?

I am the .00000001428%
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 06:32:42 PM

Sab/Ranger/Riftstalker level 21: very fun build. The pet is a superb tank easily keeping aggro in pve and passive damage in pvp. 0 point RS gives me a 15m teleport, great for stealing nodes. Sab is awesome, I'm usually near the top in Warfronts. It's just become a lot stronger with the buy one, get one free + charge talent. Not only is it OP but blowing people up is really fun, I just wish I'd named him Osama. It's an incredibly simple build to play: charge up then detonate. I prefer instant damage charges and haven't worried so far about secondary effects. Single targets get the single target charge, if it has friends it gets the aoe charge. There's already a Youtube video of someone owning with a 2 button Saboteur.

I'll have to change my playstyle a little now I've got the buy one get one free charge booster talent. If I put 5 Blast Charges on someone the talent will give me a 6th (passively). If I put a Blast Charge, a Spike Charge, a Shrapnel Charge, a Caltrop Charge and a Splinter Charge on someone the talent will give me one of each free (passively). I'll be needing to remap my keybinds.

People are starting to complain bitterly about the burstiness of this build. If you put a Time Bomb (blows up after 8 seconds), 5 charges, toss a bomb (takes about 1 second flight time) and Detonate then within the span of a second someone effectively receives 13 nukes (10 charges, 2 bombs and a detonate). The defence against this is to learn what the debuffs look like and stop chasing whatever you're chasing and get safe if you see the icons building up on you. I'm quite sure however I'll never run out of numpties who will stay in range doing something else.

My backup soul is Riftstalker. Tanking on one of these is a little complex so I haven't quite got my head around it yet. I've only just acquired the tank stance without which RS isn't really a tank (so don't try to tank an instance at 17).

Also I have a mage. I started out as a Stormcaller then realised I would go out of mana with no way to get mana back. The class is unplayable until you have a mana restore imo. That's at level 18 if you go Stormcaller/Elemental Summoner - ES is a great choice if you're looking for a second soul that gives you mana. Switching to ES as main, I now have a level 13 ES/Dominator/Stormcaller. ES get a superb mana restore, converting charge into mana at level 6. It's a huge help. The tank pet is solid. The air elemental pet is ranged which makes it nice in warfronts because it never dies. People avoid nuking pets that are in their face, no one is going to fuss over a pet that is 30m away. Squirreling people in warfronts never gets old. 1.5 seconds of my time for 36 seconds of their highest level healer? - I'll make that trade. Plus there is already a Don't fucking squirrel me, you bastards thread on the Trion boards (which inspired this character). As for ES the damage isn't stellar but it's a soloing machine: squirrel, root, 2 knockbacks, tank pet, ice shield and unlimited mana. Survives anything non-ludicrous, never needs to stop. Icy carapace deserves special mention: it says when you cast an earth spell the dot is consumed doing 0 to 0 damage. It's actually 83 (125 on a crit) at level 13. 0 point Stormcaller gives you quite a nifty knockback.

PS remapped my hotkeys and tried out my new Sab rotation. Level 21 in a 20-29 warfront. Top on damage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:07:41 PM by Stabs »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:28 PM

I'm fairly certain CC does not last 36 seconds in pvp, i've been squirreled before and it's somewhere around 8-10s if i am not mistaken.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

8-10s is an eternity in pvp. 

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 08:56:10 PM

Most of the stuns/roots, etc last WAY too long in PVP. 1-1.5 Seconds should be the absolute max. Right now it feels insane.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:17 PM

I'm fairly certain CC does not last 36 seconds in pvp, i've been squirreled before and it's somewhere around 8-10s if i am not mistaken.

Ah thanks, didn't know that. I wonder if the Dominator +2 secs duration talent increases it? Will duel tomorrow and time it.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM

Wow yeah. 4-6  seconds is about max what any cc should do in pvp IMO. No experience pvp in rifts yet but that sounds really long.

Edit: um, I can turn things into squirrels? Well WTF. Now I must roll that too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:21:28 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:00 PM

It's annoying that AE CCs seem to have short cooldowns and no counters at low levels. The current fad in Black Garden seems to be champ AE fear bombing.

That said, marksman/bard is seriously punishing amounts of utility and "ignore me at your peril"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:01 PM

Wow yeah. 4-6  seconds is about max what any cc should do in pvp IMO. No experience pvp in rifts yet but that sounds really long.

Edit: um, I can turn things into squirrels? Well WTF. Now I must roll that too.

Not only is squirrel super long but you dont heal faster as one either, so I can hit you hard, squirrel, and repeat.  If u spec in it fully it's also an instant, cheap manawise, and will last 30% longer i believe.  Oh, and afterwards your spells cast at least .5 seconds faster.   why so serious?    Dom's also get the mana wrench ability at low lvls.  Basically a channeled mana drain on a target that does dmg.  It's one of the few in-combat mana regens mage's get aside from some higher lvl ability that gives like 200%+ regen if you mez someone or some shit.  The ES regen is only good OOC.  Not needing water is very nice in Rift 'cause you cant make it can u?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions  
Jump to: