Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: How TV Ruined Your Life - 10 O'Clock Live 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How TV Ruined Your Life - 10 O'Clock Live  (Read 5665 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:44 PM

New Show from Charlie Brooker on Channel 4 in the UK. Those of outside of that region will have to find alternate means to view it, but it's very good. If you liked Screen/News/Gameswipe, you should like this.

Also worth mentioning is 10 O'clock Live. Also featuring Mr Brooker and a couple of other UK comedians I've seen on his You Have Been Watching. Not too bad either - interview segments are a little short and the show is very opinionated, but that's part of the appeal of something like this. Tune in if you want to hear the word "cunts" used rather liberally about sitting UK politicians. Perhaps not for everyone?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:09:42 PM

But is it fun?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:10 PM

Yeahhhh, clearly the wrong subforum. Moved!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:29 AM

Hmmm, it's not quite right to say this is the new 'Charlie Brooker' show.  What it's attempting to be is a British Daily show type thing without a lead.

It hasn't quite worked for me yet, though it contains some funny.  Personally, I find Mitchell funniest so far - He's a strangely clever bloke, much like Charlie.

Good article :  http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/jan/21/10-oclock-live-channel-4-hype

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:49 PM

Well, How TV Ruined your life is the new Brooker show. 10 O'clock live is a new show that also has Brooker in it. That'd be why the first show I mentioned in the thread title is HTVRYL.  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:18:07 AM

I see.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:03:51 PM

So have you seen HTVRYL?

Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 03:55:37 AM

While I love Charlie Brooker I find that 10 O'clock Live doesn't quite come together for me. It also has some of the most unfortunate set design I've ever seen.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:25:51 AM

David Mitchell might be the closest Britain could offer to a Jon Stewart type anchor, and I would definitely give "The Daily Show with David Mitchell" an honest chance.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:27:43 AM

That's a worrying statement, if true.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:36:48 AM

Why? David Mitchell is, as you stated, a smart guy. His soapbox monologues for the guardian pay tribute to his eloquence and wit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:49 AM

Yes, but he's no Jon Stewart.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:35 AM

Well I'd hardly want a carbon copy; but given equal talent and the same vein of thinking, I'd feel that a satirical politics show would be done well by David Mitchell

That said, we do have Have I Got News For You, which is frankly still brilliant, unlike some other BBC shows, which have lost their lustre.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:36 PM

Just watched the first few episodes of How TV Ruined Your Life.  It is basically just Screenwipe with a bigger budget (i.e. the fake shows don't all star the director) but that's good enough for me to love it..

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:03 AM

Sorry for the double post, but different show this time!

I don't know how sustainable 10 O'Clock Live's current format is as it's basically four shows in one.  (With the David Mitchell one being the most like The Daily Show, what with the interviews and his rant sections being the lightest on the humor.)  That said, I think I enjoy it the most when it plays to that by being a series of rants interspersed with interviews like this past week's installment.  Both of Charlie's pieces were epic, I may even be warming to Jimmy Carr which I never thought possible, and Lauren seems to work well as the glue although I'd like to see her get a few more solo segments.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 02:32:58 AM

I keep getting the impression that the show is a rough draft of itself and in two or three years it's going to be a finished product.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:39:47 AM

If they're going to bother having those round table discussions and interviews, they need to do something else because they are constantly cut way too early.. Perhaps the unfunny prerecorded skits could be cut?

And yes, HTVRYL really just ended up being Screenwipe Redux. but like you, I enjoyed it enough so that it didn't matter.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: How TV Ruined Your Life - 10 O'Clock Live  
Jump to: