Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Two Worlds: Two" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Two Worlds: Two"  (Read 6188 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: January 22, 2011, 06:35:24 AM

www.twoworlds2.com
Releases 1/25/11
pc/xbox/ps3

So, I came across this a while ago watching some convention or other and it colored me intrigued.  There's a thread on here for the 1st installment, but not this one.  I havent played either in any respect.  Anyone have the skinny on this thing?  Demoed it perhaps?  Speaking of which, why is there no demo?

I've been looking for a game like this (openworld coop fantasy rpg) to play with my brother who also has a 360, and so far this is the only one I've seen developed in this fashion (aside from something like Borderlands) if it does indeed pan out that way.  What say f13?  To buy or not to buy?

Return to the vast world of Antaloor in Two Worlds II. Building upon the original game, Two Worlds II offers the willing adventurer a unique and thrilling RPG experience unrivalled in current RPG landscape. Two Worlds II features a completely new game engine pushing hardware to its limits, as well as a revised combat system, new enemies, improved animations and an enhanced AI. This combined with the extremely detailed, interactive environment will be sure to make Two Worlds II a must-have title for RPG fans

•Extensive Character Development system - a huge skill tree giving the player total control over their class and how they want to play
•C.R.A.F.T Tool - upgrade items from basic components; with a little time, a player can turn an ordinary weapon into one of legend
•D.E.M.O.N.S Magic System - enables users to create their own spells resulting in thousands of unique spells
•Unique combat options - combining different melee attacks and an active blocking system with thousands of weapon, armor and class types, alongside mounted combat, duel wielding and dirty tricks
•Huge Multiplayer Element - 8 player raids, PvP tournaments and Co-Op action deliver unlimited replay-ability
•Village Mode - Build and take care of your own village, craft epic weapons, complete village only quests and invite your friends to see your handiwork

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:58 AM

I played the demo of the original. I never finished it (or got past the tutorial) and was not encouraged to purchase the full product. Unless they've radically changed their approach to game development, I'm not interested in the sequel either.

It was, IIRC, a poorly executed clone of Oblivion / Morrowind. Poor animations, kludgy character control and bland art direction caused me to jump ship after a few minutes.

...however, there is a chance that this Two Worlds sequel is much, much better.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:17:20 AM

I'm interested as well.  I'm considering buying a $60 game this week to tide me over until RIFT starts, so I'm holding off to see what folks are saying about this.  Otherwise it's DCUO for a month.

The first one was interesting enough to hold my attention for a looksee, but it was ultimately too broken to keep me past a few hours. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:05:49 PM

I'd do DCUO if it was for 360 as well as ps3.  As it stands, none of my console peeps own a ps3... so this is the best bet for now as coop goes, assuming their multiplayer is even worth two shits.  That's my biggest "?" really, the MP, which they're typically vague about.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:42:40 PM

It dinged my interest meter strongly, but given the reputation of the first one I decided to wait for reviews.

They swear the gameplay is much improved over the first, but, well, of course they would.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:03:40 PM

There's a handful of reviews up on euro sites, all putting forth 85ish scores.  Translations are hard to weed through, though they give an edge to the PC version, stating console versions have a lot of bloom involved.  I'm definitely waiting for reviews, but if they're halfway decent I'll take the plunge.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:56:52 PM

Friend of mine actually enjoyed the first train wreck and decided to import this from Europe a couple months back. It's actually not bad, decent RPG fun.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:55:58 PM by NiX »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:40 PM

20 arrows multishot. A very odd melee system where things either die in 3 hits or kills you in 2.
It's a weird train wreck, but I couldn't finish it. It's not like Oblivion where you can enter any caves u want. Some caves are LOCKED by quest. Even a goddamn TENT.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:56 PM

How many is "some"?  Fallout has parts like that, so does the Assassin's Creed series.  Oblivion had parts that didn't spawn or were permanently locked until certain parameters were met, too.  I assume the game is locking off new zone material, right? 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:37 PM

Friend of mine actually enjoyed the first train wreck and decided to import this from Europe a couple months back. It's actually not bad, decent RPG fun.

What's the MP like?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:38 AM

The problem comparing things to Oblivion is that Oblivion sucked. If you have to drastically mod a game to make it good, it's a shitty game.

I've enjoyed almost every euro jank rpg to come out since Oblivion, I'd even rate Gothic 3 over Oblivion. I remember enjoying Two Worlds and I think I played most of the way through it before getting distracted by something shinier.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:28:43 AM

I like how one of its bullet points is "retooled horse riding," from the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApSxWrfxOU

Multiplayer is a separate series of areas to fight through with 8 players total, and you can have a village people can visit for gear.

Multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwzEvMUz2yI

PVP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovIED42j64

Combat looks like button mashing slugfests with poor hit animation, no killing townspeople or random dialogue, and that running animation is goofy. Still want to like it but need more positive info before buying it with Dead Space 2.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:24:24 AM

IIRC, Most means 75% of the caves or places to explore are quest locked.
Compared to Oblivion exploration, this is pretty disappointing. Once the killing animals in Savannah gets old, I decided to blitz through the main quest and get cock-blocked by the developer's pride at the finale.

"TRY FINISHING THE FINAL BOSS WITH SAVE GAMES DISABLED NUB"

Howabout I just uninstall and badmouth your game every chance I get? I win. Fuckoff from my HDD.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:04 AM

Howabout I just uninstall and badmouth your game every chance I get? I win. Fuckoff from my HDD.

You lose.  They already got your money.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 02:35:00 PM

I was going to take the plunge and buy this tonight, but all our Gamestops are sold out.  I called two close ones and both said that they had a few copies actually sell, but they didn't expect it to sell out.  Worrying that there's no major US review, but we'll see. 
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 03:18:03 PM

I picked this up for the 360 today from a local Target, no clue when I'll actually get to play it. I'll bet my wife dives in before me since I just got into New Vegas. I complete very few games, and somehow with my odd tastes the original was one that I went back to and completed last year. I bought the new one based on that hoping it will be close enough/somewhat improved.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 03:18:21 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 03:32:40 PM

The problem comparing things to Oblivion is that Oblivion sucked. If you have to drastically mod a game to make it good, it's a shitty game.

I've enjoyed almost every euro jank rpg to come out since Oblivion, I'd even rate Gothic 3 over Oblivion. I remember enjoying Two Worlds and I think I played most of the way through it before getting distracted by something shinier.

Sorry, but if this is your opinion then I don't know what to say. The first Two Worlds sucked so hard I played less than an hour before I said F it and uninstalled the game from my hard drive. I bought it for $10 at half price books and STILL felt ripped off. Oblivion on the other hand is tons of fun, warts and all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

Why would you be sorry about his opinion? 

I'm in his camp as well.  Never could get Oblivion modded quite right and I hate the stock leveling system.  I wish it were simpler to mod, but every single time I tried to mod, it would break.  So these simpler, semi-janky games end up being more my preference.  Divinity 2, Gothic.  Great stuff. 

Also, found the PS3 version at Target, so I'll post up in a day or two to see if I threw my cash down the crapper.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:55 PM

I wish it were simpler to mod, but every single time I tried to mod, it would break.

Lolwut?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:28 AM

I wish it were simpler to mod, but every single time I tried to mod, it would break.

Lolwut?

For whatever reason, anytime I would install any mods at all using any method (.exe, wrye bash, OMOD crap) my game would become extremely unstable.  As in, never making it out of the tutorial without constant crashing.  It's 100% user error, I'm sure.  I just become frustrated with having to install two different programs to load the mods I want in a certain order under the second half moon of the spring.  It drives me fucking bonkers that they couldn't use a simple device to mod the game. 

Again, I'm certain that it's my fault - it's just frustrating as hell and I spent more time trying to get the game to work than I did playing it.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:39 AM

Did you try Nehrim? It seemed pretty idiot proof to me, and didn't break my game.

And I'm not modder by any means. Ask me to start messing with files and notepad and I will people to go fuck themselves.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 07:11:55 AM

Actually, I did get Nehrim working solidly.  It's a very nice looking mod (maybe), but I wasn't looking for an overhaul of the game, just some basic changes to the main game that should have been in place. 

My issue with Nehrim is the intro chase scene, which I gave a solid hour to starting one spot over and over because I didn't figure out which lever to press in time before the gorilla ate me.  I'm likely an idiot, but the beginning seemed a bit much for me. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:03 AM

Did you try manually copying the files over and activating the ESPs in the data files option page?  Forget auto-installers.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 10:58:09 AM

Yeah, I learned the .exe problem the hard way.  Part of the problem is that I suspect that there are lingering parts of deleted mods that are conflicting somewhere on my machine.  A one point I pulled all the mods from the system and it was still locking up, so I did a full uninstall and file search to kill everything Oblivion related (that I could find) on my rig.  From there, I reinstalled just the base GOTY edition and it worked fine.  Until I added my first mod, that is.

I can't be bothered to reinstall windows at this point (who has the time!?!) so it's easier to live without. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:22 PM

Not the right place for it... I know, I know.  But I decided to get to the root of the issues with Oblivion and reinstalled it tonight.  I had some initial problems Unique Landscapes that I can't get resolved, but all in all, I've got Oblivion modded! 

I used OBMM for everything, added OBSE, BOSS for sorting and then all three unofficial patches.  For funs I installed OOO, DarnDarkUI, Natural Environments, Alternative Start and Realistic Leveling.  Still can't get Unique Landscapes to work without crashing on exit, though.  But everything else worked through OBMM. 

Thanks for the nudges, all.  Got me thinking and I might have got it working. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Two Worlds: Two"  
Jump to: