Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 108160 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:09 PM

Didn't see a thread for this yet, so I figured I'd make one now that some of the main casting has been announced. 

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle (AKA Catwoman) in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises. She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Christopher Nolan stated, "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story."

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, "I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies."

Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven.

The Dark Knight Rises is slated for release on July 20, 2012.

Not a huge fan of Bane, but Nolan obviously gets the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:33:13 PM

At least they are being consistent with Bale. I loathed the first set of movies for the fact that they found anyone they wanted to plug into the role and off they went. Surprisingly, I thought Keaton actually did the best.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:45:21 PM

He definitely did the best, even if I never totally bought him as a millionaire playboy all the ladies swoon for.   If we could have Kilmer's Wayne with Keaton's Batman, that'd be the best.

Bane, though. Bah.  Still, probably a better choice than another Penguin/ Catwoman flick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:08:25 PM

Give me my fucking proper treatment of Mr. Freeze god damnit.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:00 PM

I take it Schwarzenegger left you... cold?  cool

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:52 PM

Not overly thrilled with Hathaway as Catwoman, nor the choice of Bane but Nolan has a lot of slack with me, and I liked Hardy in Inception, so we'll see.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:11 PM

Yea - Hathaway seems a bit... nonathletic.

I'm hoping for being surprised.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:44:54 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't exactly bursting with muscle either, and she was IMO a good Catwoman.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:50:00 PM

Hardy bulked up big time for a low budget UK flick called Bronson. He was pretty damned good in the role and possibly one of the reasons why Nolan cast him. Not sure about why he chose Bane in the first place but there we go.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 03:00:09 PM

The question about Bane really is, how is Nolan going to revamp the character.  I don't see Nolan's Bane being an exact copy of the comic one. 

As for Hathaway as Catwoman... I'm pretty meh about the whole thing.  I think I'd rather see ScarJo in more tight leather.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:05:08 PM

I think I'd rather see ScarJo in more tight leather.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Or, maybe, January Jones as Emma Frost in X-Men:

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:54 PM

Yeah, why bane.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:29:44 PM

It's been rumored for a while but was announced today. I can't really picture him playing the Joker and not a fan of his either. I hope they don't fuck this up. They could always dub his voice over with Mark Hamill.

Since I ended up sticking my foot in my mouth about Ledger, I have no problem with Hathaway playing Catwoman. In Nolan we trust. As long as we forget about Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:33:27 PM

I think Hathaway will do great. Better than ScarJo could do with the roll.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 03:37:37 PM

Summer Glau please.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:38:27 PM

I think Hathaway will do great. Better than ScarJo could do with the roll.
I don't know, Scarlett rolling around would be pretty hot.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 04:01:09 PM

Yeah, why bane.

Because Bane can work. Read "Bane of the Demon" where it makes it quite clear that Bane is astoundingly intelligent, devious and cunning, perfectly sane and has all that venom shit that gives him superstrength. He's the Mary Sue of bad guys. He also gets taken on by R'as al Ghul as an apprentice and heir to the League of Assassins and joins with him to unleash a plague on Gotham. So, basically, links back to Batman Begins.

With Catwoman, you've got the potential link to Carmine Falcone (see "Batman: Dark Victory") with Selina Kyle possibly being his illegitmate daughter. Dark Victory was not only the sequel to Long Halloween (which may well have been the basis for a lot of "The Dark Knight"- Harvey Dent turning into Two-Face, various panels being adapted into scenes) but also has Batman brooding about feeling like he was responsible for Harvey Dent becoming Two Face.

If they introduce Azrael into the film as well then you've potentially got a natural segue from The Dark Knight: Batman's in hiding because he wants to give the appearance of having killed all of the people Two Face actually killed. So if you follow the Knightfall route then, after Bane cripples him (as revenge for killing Liam Neeson perhaps?), he's replaced by Azrael who actually does start killing people.  Huh??  Profiit.

If this is to be a trilogy then it would make sense for Nolan to tie up all the loose ends that he's left. I can see how using Bane and Catwoman might be able to achieve that.  I might also be totally and utterly wrong and this will become Nolan's "Batman and Robin".

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06:14 PM

Yeah, why bane.

I can only assume it's because a guy who gets really strong through chemical/drug use isn't too far out there for the kind of Batman stuff Nolan has done.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:44 PM

He's a fine character in some incarnations, the previous grunting movie character definitely didn't do him justice.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:57 PM

People were skeptical of Heath Ledger as the Joker at first. I concur, benefit of the doubt.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Yeah, why bane.

I can only assume it's because a guy who gets really strong through chemical/drug use isn't too far out there for the kind of Batman stuff Nolan has done.

This is what I thought too. He fits with the more dark, realistic Batman franchise Nolan has given us.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 07:44:56 PM

I had actually hoped they'd go with Hugo Strange, as I think the basic typical "Strange v. Batman" story fits Nolan's conception of the character very well. Actually I wouldn't be all that surprised if they still worked him in, as Strange used to have "monster men" assistants who were basically very similar to Bane.

But yeah, there are plenty of Bane appearances in the comics where he's a very interesting, complex character, including his current portrayal in Secret Six. His costume has always been pretty terribad though.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:10 PM

I would put forth that bane will be infinitely more interesting as a real person and not some cgi leifield-esque monster

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 08:55:18 PM

I had actually hoped they'd go with Hugo Strange, as I think the basic typical "Strange v. Batman" story fits Nolan's conception of the character very well. Actually I wouldn't be all that surprised if they still worked him in, as Strange used to have "monster men" assistants who were basically very similar to Bane.

If it helps any, they're using Hugo Strange in the next Batman game.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 09:40:06 PM

Yeah, why bane.

He's Batman's flip side: parent's killed when he was a child (mother murdered in front of him iirc), raised in a prison, forced to rely on only himself to survive, carves his own way in the world. By comparison, Wayne was a spoiled rich kid with a case of survivor's guilt.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 10:45:14 PM

Yeah, why bane.

He's Batman's flip side: parent's killed when he was a child (mother murdered in front of him iirc), raised in a prison, forced to rely on only himself to survive, carves his own way in the world. By comparison, Wayne was a spoiled rich kid with a case of survivor's guilt.

So would you classify him then as more chaotic neutral with anger management issues rather than chaotic evil?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:21 AM

Hathaway in a catsuit, I can't really complain.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57:03 AM

So would you classify him then as more chaotic neutral with anger management issues rather than chaotic evil?

He's a sociopath, not a misunderstood artist.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:02 AM

As for Hathaway as Catwoman... I'm pretty meh about the whole thing.  I think I'd rather see ScarJo in more tight leather.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Avengers comes out a couple months before this, at the beginning of May 2012.  You can get your ScarJo fix then.

Also, the Spider-man reboot comes at the beginning of July, and the Superman reboot is targeted for that December.  2012 is pretty much just an X-Men movie away from having every major Superhero movie franchise represented.  Actually, there's a good chance Aronofsky's Wolverine movie will be coming out in 2012, so that base might be more or less covered as well.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:37 AM

Yeah, the interesting aspect of Bane was never the mindless wrestler schtick they showcased in the other movies. He appeared in Gotham and launched a campaign of crime not only against Batman but the other criminals. His goals were twofold 1) Crush Batman and 2) Seize control of the Gotham underworld. Personally I think a South American criminal genius sociopath sets up a really interesting opponent and also segues nicely in terms of villain from the Joker. I imagine Bane will be the complete opposite, coming into a Gotham underworld that's been shaken by a crazy man for the sake of crazy with a Plan.

Although even with Nolan's excellent track record if I find he's planning on sticking Azrael into and doing a total rerun of Knightfall I'll actually predict failure because that would be stupid. I do not think he'll do it and I don't think he'll be dragging those other characters in, it'd be a total about turn on the whole focus on Batman the films have had.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:06 AM

I'm not commenting on this one at all.  Nolan has surpassed my every expectation with the Dark Knight films.  I'm not saying he can do no wrong;  I'm saying I'm gonna wait until he's done, with great anticipation.

I thought Joker wouldn't work at a couple of points - when first cast and then when we got the first stills released.  I was wildly wrong.  I thought that putting two villians into it would make a mockery of the second film, like Batman films before it.  I was really, really wrong.  I thought the Rachel character idea in both films was silly.  I was...well, kinda right on that one, but hey ho, they killed her.

I'm gonna wait and just assume it's going to be brilliant for now.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:13 AM

Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor, Nolan does have a knack for picking some genuine talent to work with.

As with the majority, I'm just going to wait and see how this one plays out, with faith in Nolan's abilities.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:47 AM

Tom Hardy is very good.. So good that Bane is a waste of time for him. I hope Nolan writes it where Hardy himself stands out.

And if anyone hasn't seen "Charlie fucking Bronson!" then they should.

He was also good in that shitty Star Trek Nemesis movie, but the fact that it bombed depressed him.. that was his first big role, and apparently he went down the drain for awhile because of it.

EDIT: I will add that they are good choices for Nolan's "ethos", so to speak. Catwoman is basically just a ninja burgler and Bane's a juicer.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:27:54 AM by stray »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 06:18:19 AM

He was good in RocknRolla too.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:52 AM

I thought the Rachel character idea in both films was silly.  I was...well, kinda right on that one, but hey ho, they killed her.

Did I miss the end of the last movie or something?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  
Jump to: