Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:36:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 109197 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:59 AM

I only asked because I never thought bane was all that cool. Hes like a Grey hulk from issue #377. The whole back breaking thing, its like there was this time period where all superheros had to have backs broken. It was silly. Dc's Doomsday (or the other way around, who cares).

So many better villains in Batman history, with so much more character.

I know, I am likely speaking blasphemy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:32:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 06:31:53 AM

I thought the Rachel character idea in both films was silly.  I was...well, kinda right on that one, but hey ho, they killed her.

Did I miss the end of the last movie or something?

Apparently?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 06:35:05 AM

He was good in RocknRolla too.

I didn't know he was in that. Big Tom Hardy fan I am, eh?

I guess I'll add it to netflix.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 06:49:43 AM

I only asked because I never thought bane was all that cool. Hes like a Grey hulk from issue #377. The whole back breaking thing, its like there was this time period where all superheros had to have backs broken. It was silly. Dc's Doomsday (or the other way around, who cares).

Like I/others were saying, they kind of fit Nolan's schtick.

I mean, in a certain light, there are tons of more elements to mine out of Batman's story, but I think it isn't easy to write where them as plausible criminals. At the very least, it takes some time to find the right angle. At their core, the Riddler or the Penguin, for example, are pretty fucking stupid in a comic booky way that Joker or Catwoman are not (even though I like them myself heh).
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:22 AM

I thought the Rachel character idea in both films was silly.  I was...well, kinda right on that one, but hey ho, they killed her.

Apparently?

Shit, my memory is bad. Had to go read a recap of how that ended.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:19 AM

Batman villains that have at least some recognition with the general populace or casual fans, and that work in Nolan's gritty realist theme?  I think Bane and Catwoman are it.

Scarecrow, Twoface, Joker have been done.
Riddler is too comic booky.
Penguin is pretty comic booky, and we already have Devito's Penguin who was about as gritty as you could go with that character.

Many of the recent/new villains don't have any name recognition with the general populace.  Many of the villains from the Animated shows don't work unless your world is okay with super-science/vaguely supernatural villainy (Clayface, Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Killer Croc, etc.)  You also don't want to go back to another crazed charismatic sociopath right after you did the Joker.

Bane, as an intelligent crimelord who uses steriods/PEDs, works pretty well I think.  And Catwoman lets you explore the gray morality area that Batman is in now that he's Public Enemy Number One, if you go with a Catwoman using crime as a tool of revenge against those who wronged her.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:31 AM

It was suggested in another thread somewhere, but a Riddler in the vague shape of Kevin Spacey's character out of Seven would have worked very well in the Nolanverse.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 09:41:56 AM

I agree but I also think that Riddler is too close to Joker as someone's already mentioned.

Also, still laughing at Bunk.  It was 2 3rds of the way through the movie and everyone cheered.  How could you miss it ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:36 AM

I think you could draw a line between them, but I think you're right and trying to make the villains more distinct in personality is a good step.

I wholly expect Nolan and Tom Hardy to make Bane their own though, and I have faith that it will be pretty fantastic.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:41 AM

I wholly expect Nolan and Tom Hardy to make Bane their own though, and I have faith that it will be pretty fantastic.

Yeah, the more I think about it, it's going to work... The only reason why I commented that Bane is not good enough for him is because he's mostly a masked character. Either way though, Tom Hardy knows how to play up the "scary". He's intimidating as hell as Bronson.. I can only imagine that Nolan is going to play this up.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 10:21:51 AM

I can see Nolan doing a decent Bane, just don't give him a stupid mask and make the origin story a little more messy and urban.

Fuck Catwoman.

Catwoman is fan service almost to the same degree as Venom. I can appreciate Catwoman has had so much retcon you can do pretty much anything you damn well please with her, but you can see how this is going to go, 'Oh lordy lordy an aloof supervillian manipulating the peons for personal advantage, and a slightly dim hero who is public enemy number one, what shall we do'. I hope I'm wrong, and Nolan does something surprising and weird.

I never really understand why people think the Penguin wouldn't work, the only thing you are tied to is a taste for evening wear, and one or both of a speech or walking impediment. Clayface is easy enough as well, you just make him a non-supernatural expert mimic and away you go.

As for Ivy, Freeze, Croc, they are tougher, but Nolan's world can stand super-science and pretty far out characters, so long as it is presented on a suitable urban scale. The Joker was pretty fucked up, and Scarecrow went through most of the film using science indistinguishable from magic. The bigger issue would be how you fit them into the themes and human shit that the film needs, Joker, Scarecrow, Liam Neeson, Penguin, Clayface, Riddler even Bane are easier to give a psychological hook so they can interact better with the Bale angst machine.

This is fucking great - I mean, this defined the entire end of the film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 10:29:11 AM

Also I really hate the title.

I'm guessing that's a marketing dept special.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 10:43:02 AM

I think stuff like the Penguin and Riddler veers more into the fanservice category than Catwoman. I'm a geek myself - but also one steeped in what other people like too, and I can't stand it when even geekier fans aren't in touch with that. Like they have to incorporate every random element into a story. Fan Fiction is the bottom of the barrel of this category, but we've already a seen a few movies do it now too (Spidey 3, X-men 3, and Wolverine to be exact). That's exactly what you'd get with the Penguin and Riddler, and not even  Nolan's (and his brother's?) writing skills would have an easy time making them work.

Besides, there has never been a good trilogy in the history of film. They all jump the shark. And no, LOTR isn't it.. At least one of the sequels are lame, damnit. I'm not sure which. So.. I'd say just for this alone that Nolan should try not fucking it up and finally make a good trilogy for once.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 10:46:27 AM

Besides, there has never been a good trilogy in the history of film.

Back to the Future  awesome, for real

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:49 AM

Back to the future was on 'ok' triology. As far as catwoman is concerned it's not fanservice so much as adding a central part of the batman mythos to the story. If you ask someone to name people in the batman world you'd almost always come up with batman/robin/joker/catwoman.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:12 AM

The Man with No Name.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 11:00:30 AM

So would you classify him then as more chaotic neutral with anger management issues rather than chaotic evil?

He's a sociopath, not a misunderstood artist.

So are most CEO's and I wouldnt qualify them as chaotic evil. I never read the comics so Im trying to put it into D&D language I understand.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:23 AM

The Man with No Name.

Oh yeah?

Well... Screw the both of you for being right.

Hmm.. well, I'll just tone it down to "there hasn't been a good comic book trilogy" then.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:57 AM

Apparently you missed the last quarter of it.  It was a fairly significant plot point.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 11:26:20 AM

The Lord of the Rings was a fantastic Movie Trilogy.  I WILL END YOU.

RAWR, STAR WARS DEBATE !!!

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:30 AM

*steps out from behind a bush right on cue*

You rang?  why so serious?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:49 AM

I think Riddler could work very well, but I understand their reluctance to use him. It's not like he's been well-used in the comics recently either. Black Mask would make a good villain too, but it would probably stray too close to Joker crazy territory for comfort. And I mean the original Black Mask character, not what they've done with him lately. He started as a cosmetics magnate whose cosmetics horribly disfigured women who used them, who was obsessed with the masks we wear and who made all his flunkies wear all kinds of masks to do crime. But again, we've already seen a villain descending into madness, so no need to repeat.

If anyone could do Bane well, Nolan could so I'll reserve judgement until I see the Nacho Libre mask.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:54 AM

The Man with No Name.

El Mariachi

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:28 AM

Hmm.. well, I'll just tone it down to "there hasn't been a good comic book trilogy" then.  Ohhhhh, I see.

In that case what was so terrible about Superman I-III?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

The Man with No Name.

El Mariachi

Lethal Weapon

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:37 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:41 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: January 20, 2011, 11:56:40 AM

Alien

swamp poop  I didn't  hate 3, but it was really really weak and way beneath the other two in terms of overall quality for the series.   If you're counting it, you may as well count Star Wars because A3 was equal to ROTJ in terms of strength.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:39 AM

I think we're just naming trilogies now.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:37 AM

The Man with No Name.

El Mariachi

The last one blew goats.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:55 AM

I think we're just naming trilogies now.
Well shit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:48 PM

Alien

swamp poop  I didn't  hate 3, but it was really really weak and way beneath the other two in terms of overall quality for the series.   If you're counting it, you may as well count Star Wars because A3 was equal to ROTJ in terms of strength.

Hmmm, the only problem I had with 'n 3 is that it didn't belong in the Alien trilogy. It plays fine as a standalone movie, but alienates its audience by invalidating the entire second film and not having any real connection to the universe established in 'n and 'ns.

I have no issue crossing it off the list of good trilogies for that reason alone, but Alien 3 isn't actually a bad film.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:10 PM

Alien

Three was great.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 01:24:12 PM

I agree but I also think that Riddler is too close to Joker as someone's already mentioned.

Also, still laughing at Bunk.  It was 2 3rds of the way through the movie and everyone cheered.  How could you miss it ?

Not that I missed it, just that my memory is now that bad. I've only actually watched Returns once.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #69 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:28 PM

Good Trilogies...

Resident Evil? *ducks* 
um, Gingersnaps? (actually, I think it was, even if Schild is the only other person here likely to have seen any of them)

Personally, I'm glad they went with Catwoman. To me she's iconic and unlike some of his other iconic villains, not mega cheezy. Bane strikes me as a weird choice, as so many people, like myself who hasn't read a Batman since Killing Joke, have never heard of him outside of the dumb goon in the Schumacker drek.

And please, all of you feel free to continue mocking my inability to remember 1/3 of that movie. Even if it upsets me, I'm quite sure i'll have forgotten about it by next week.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  
Jump to: