Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new character editor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new character editor  (Read 23216 times)
Phildo
Contributor

on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

I hate this thing, but some people have done great things with it already.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:28:32 PM

I'm having uncanny valley reactions every time I see one of these.

I can appreciate that the image above is awesome.

But also weird.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:34 PM

I believe you can also use the mousewheel to zoom in at the portrait stage. I've done some funky shit with characters peering into the camera with "Is this thing on?!" expressions.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:57 PM

Gay biker?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:43 PM

Gay biker?

Looks like he's caught in a landslide with no escape from reality.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:31 PM

Ah, no wife beater option in the editor?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:19 PM

But either way, I'm staying well away from this for a while. Until you run the creator you just see a little silhouetto of a man when you log on.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:54:47 PM

awesome, for real

Anyone know a way to disable this feature to spare him his life from this monstrosity?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

This is CCP's idea of heaven for everyone.

They have to force it on us eventually because it's part of the plan for Incar-a-ahh to save every one of us, every man every woman every child... from something or other.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:23:39 PM

Looks like

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:04 PM

That's who I thought too.

Or really just any clone from the 70s.

I agree, btw, it puts you right plunk in the middle of the uncanny valley and I really don't care for it. It also seems to take away lot of the exotic looks that I associate with Eve. On the other hand, I think some of those (most of those?) looks are pretty unapproachable so while Incarna may be a bust, this might actually make the game more approachable emotionally for new players.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:50 PM

Until they wander out of the character creator and realize the image is nothing more than a visual postage stamp in the corner people quickly turn off. I know they're desperate to try and backport tech to make it look like they're eve focused but introducing this editor without Incarna itself is pointless.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:13:33 PM

As far as anyone can tell Incarna is pointless. Even Mynxee is basically saying so and she was actually a supporter of the thing.,

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:58 PM

Anyone know a way to disable this feature to spare him his life from this monstrosity?

My first reaction was to look for the +rep button.  I need to spend more time away from goonfleet.com.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:18 PM

Design your character for the portrait thumbnail, not to look good at full size. I made that mistake. Looks like crap in game. Here's hope for a goddamn cosmetic surgeon in Incarna.

http://storageserver.be/images/evenew.jpg

(If my webserver isn't being a fag again, it should link to an image)

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:37 PM

Joan Rivers?

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:24 PM

ACK!

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:52 PM

Oh, I meant the most recent Joan Rivers iteration.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:04 PM

What a massive waste of time and development effort. The character images that once had a sense of identity, attachment, racial differences and lots of sci-fi props now look generic and colorless. Nice base models, technically superior, huge if I was playing the Ikea version of barbie doll dress up but an astoundingly pointless addition to Eve.

- Simond
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:46 PM

I hate this thing, but some people have done great things with it already.

Wow. That is....just wow. And not "good wow". I mean like "Did he just come from Folsom to take over 0.0?" wow.

It's the smile and the leather sleeveless vest.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:43 PM

Looks like  <freddie>

So you missed the wordplay between eldaec and Oban then?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:50 PM

Looks like  <freddie>

So you missed the wordplay between eldaec and Oban then?

Apparently so.  I didn't see anything about Freddy.  Anyway, a thread is always better with a picture of Freddy Mercury.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48:41 PM

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 06:55:49 PM

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. "
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 07:10:19 PM

I'm marking it 8.

--Signature Unclear
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:31 AM

Design your character for the portrait thumbnail, not to look good at full size. I made that mistake. Looks like crap in game. Here's hope for a goddamn cosmetic surgeon in Incarna.

It's amazing how after all these years their UI is STILL crap. The image you'll be seeing every second you login won't be show till after you can't change it. The lighting effects have some that make you face a white blob. CCP posted you CAN petition for a redo, maybe, once, if they arn't busy, possibly.

I need to petition, and I'm sure the'll going to overloaded with the 1000's like me who aren't happy with their first try.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 02:52:55 AM

You know when eve started off they actually had published an app that let you play around with making your face for the game to practice before you actually logged in to create your first character. That helped build up excitement for it, and also let you practice with it for a bit.

Funny they had all their good ideas when it started off... oh yeah that was another company. Never mind...

Hic sunt dracones.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:26 AM

It's amazing how after all these years their UI is STILL crap. The image you'll be seeing every second you login won't be show till after you can't change it. The lighting effects have some that make you face a white blob. CCP posted you CAN petition for a redo, maybe, once, if they arn't busy, possibly.
Actually, you can take four different snapshots at thumbnail size in parallel, retake them and finally chose one. You probably hit Save immediately.

I just gave up at some point. It's sad, because those that look good in thumbnail, look like cheap Poser 5 models in the fullscreen screenshots people took from the creator.

Also, Joan Rivers. Fuck you  Ohhhhh, I see.

Then again, fucking big eyes Gallente is a horrible template to do something with. My throw away Amarr character looks way better, and that by hitting the randomize buttons a bunch of times.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:08 AM

This World of Darkness tech demo is pretty impressive; it isn't Eve Online though. Where are all the crazy hairstyles and futuristic accessories? 12 different kinds of aviator sunglasses and half a dozen hipster hairstyles from the late 1990s? Give me a break...

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:46 AM

This World of Darkness tech demo is pretty impressive; it isn't Eve Online though. Where are all the crazy hairstyles and futuristic accessories?
I suspect it may be tricky converting my character to the new engine, then.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 12:31:21 PM

I'm marking it 8.

MARK IT ZERO!

This isn't 0.0, Smokey. There are rules.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 04:41:14 PM

Facial decorations are, in total, about 8 different shades of aviator sunglasses. Even City of Heroes could do jewellery (and I think tattoo's). You can't even re-color most of the clothing which makes the options even smaller than they appear at first. And the detail in the clothing is probably why the bulk body sliders (height, weight, muscle) are neutered so that scaling is not an issue.

The lack of visual difference is mostly being covered up by people going to extremes with the portrait capture camera angles, backdrops and lighting. If all the characters were put in a well lit room it would look like a comedy clone-farm.

- Simond
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:15 PM

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1451716

So you'll get one do-over, which I'll need for my alt that didn't turn out so well.  The 'grace period' applies to actually setting a portrait rather than a silhouette.

I agree, it looks more like a step backward.  The clothing is bland with no colour options and it looks really limited in accessories or markings compared to before.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:28 PM

*sigh* There is so much negativity here.

You guys should know by now that CCP always has these awesome ideas that sound great and then releases half-baked crap after they discovered they don't have enough Time/Manpower/Playtesting to make it work proper. See: Faction Warfare, Dominion Sov Changes, Planetary Interaction, etc etc...

Just be patient. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some new hairstyles for Incursion 1.5, some facial tattoos for Incarna and new sunglasses in Winter 2012. And not only that but also: UI changes (new neocom), Hybrid Weapon buff (I hope!)*, Supercarrier nerf* and much more. Life is good.

Calapine

Fake Edit: No, I am not being sarcastic/ironic. Enjoying EvE is all about expectation management and looking on the bright side of life.

Real Edit: *unconfirmed speculation based on wishful thinking and CSM-CCP meeting logs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:05:35 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:56 PM

Pretty sure they have plans to add a lot more shit in the future including tattoos. Also nice side effect is that avatars are now rendered server side so you just download images.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new character editor  
Jump to: