Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new character editor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new character editor  (Read 23196 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:31 PM

I was not expecting that pic in the OP; it destroyed me.  Might be the hardest I've laughed in a year.  I woke the dog, I might have woken my family.  Holy shit that was funny. 

In game pics should be RL, imo.  Up the ante a bit. 
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:37 PM

Pretty sure they have plans to add a lot more shit in the future including tattoos. Also nice side effect is that avatars are now rendered server side so you just download images.

I hope so because the new editor feel like about 20 steps back from the old.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:56 PM

Doesn't matter how many more steps they take when they are on the wrong path. None of this makes Eve a better game and god knows there's a billion things that could be added to make it more fun with the development effort they are wasting.

... Though of course it's just the leftovers from WoD in practice. Back-ported to Eve to make them feel they're getting something for their monthly sub.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:22 PM

Thank you for paying to test our vampire MMO features. - CCP

PS: Deal with it.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:31 AM

I've discovered the shitty options aren't nearly as frustrating as the actual act of editing the portrait.

<click>...*wait*...*wait*
No that hair doesn't look right.
 swamp poop
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:29 AM

I've discovered the shitty options aren't nearly as frustrating as the actual act of editing the portrait.

No that hair doesn't look right.
 swamp poop

Especially as the thuimbnails of the different elements are so small and indistinct. The only way to get a decent look at the options is to preview them all on your character which takes ages. Why the fuck can't they have a decent UI which focuses on one element at a time and displays it to you in a useful size?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 04:24:37 PM

You know, if they fucked all this avatar shit off and let us customise the ships... you know, the things that are actually the Eve drawcard.

Hell if CCP said "you an keep your old avatar but never leave your ship" I'd sign on the dotted line.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 05:16:43 PM

In my opinion, even the ships would be pointless to customize repaint, because most players zoom out and play [] brackets in space.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:51 PM

I'd customize the shit out of my ship. Do I play brackets? of course I do. It's kinda good for threat assessment, that said, I still like to zoom in on my ride every now and then.

That said, I find the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums pretty goddamn funny, considering most of them never look at their pilots' pictures.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:49 PM

Why the fuck can't they have a decent UI
That's rhetorical, isn't it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:41 PM

In my opinion, even the ships would be pointless to customize repaint, because most players zoom out and play [] brackets in space.

In the third-person view you are looking at it all the time.  And really, aren't you the one that counts?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 08:02:03 AM

Hell if CCP said "you an keep your old avatar but never leave your ship" I'd sign on the dotted line.

Hell if CCP said "you can have your cake, but eat it as well" I too, would sign on the dotted line.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 08:11:53 AM

These are so much worse than the previous.  I'm talking a EQ2 level of soul-removal here.

I'm going to pour one out for those who have fallen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:36 AM

I've decided to have fun with it. All of my characters will now have extreme closeups.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 10:50:11 AM

btw, in case anyone hasn't figured it out, the reason can't have tattoos, metal parts, or other cool futuristic shit (apart from it not being needed for WoD) is that CCP plan to nickel and dime you for that crap through micro-trans.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:40 AM

Your extreme closeup-fu is weak.  Behold!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: January 21, 2011, 11:34:09 AM

That's awesome. I managed to get just one eye in on one of them.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 11:45:33 AM

I've decided to have fun with it. All of my characters will now have extreme closeups.

Reminds me of:

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 11:49:41 AM

I was going to keep it that way, too, until I was struck with the opportunity.

awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 11:53:02 AM

Fuck, we need rep buttons so much.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 12:24:40 PM

Had to re-post this.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 12:30:02 PM

Reminds me of:

That's close to what I was going for.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 02:09:00 PM

I was going to keep it that way, too, until I was struck with the opportunity.

awesome, for real

All sorts of win for the Trekkies :D

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 03:06:30 PM

Basically, I can see this turning into bad driver's license pictures. Which, is pretty goddamned awesome.

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 08:12:45 AM

Doesn't matter how many more steps they take when they are on the wrong path. None of this makes Eve a better game and god knows there's a billion things that could be added to make it more fun with the development effort they are wasting.
Because there's only one development team working sequentially on single features. Especially since it's tech being developed anyway, EVE or not. You do know that they're working on another MMO using exactly that tech, don't you?

Reading between the lines, it looks like the teams responsible for core EVE are hard at work to clean up the spaghetti code mess they've built up until recently. So you can't blame them for not shitting out tons of new features or fixing longstanding issues and niggles that they intend to do away with anyway during the replumbing.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:14 AM

Cripes this thing is terrible, that the portrait photos end up looking terrible make it even worse.

Maybe I'll go for the "I had a stroke" look.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Because there's only one development team working sequentially on single features. Especially since it's tech being developed anyway, EVE or not. You do know that they're working on another MMO using exactly that tech, don't you?

Reading between the lines, it looks like the teams responsible for core EVE are hard at work to clean up the spaghetti code mess they've built up until recently. So you can't blame them for not shitting out tons of new features or fixing longstanding issues and niggles that they intend to do away with anyway during the replumbing.

No. They have a decent sized team (when a dev gave team numbers) working on trying to hammer the spagetti into a shape where it wasn't laggy compared to what they used to be capable of, one team (eg 4-5 people) working on eve-gate and one team on PvE content (ie. incursions). That puts Eve, the spaceships game, having about the same developer momentum as a near dead game like vanguard or fallen earth.

I'm also pretty sure Eve-gate is another back-port of WoD content. I mean those vampires have to plan their gatherings and social maneuvering.

The character editor is characterless. Tried to make my alt not look stoned and failed, plus *all* the appearance options are identical even though she's Minmatar as opposed to Caldari (though she had Asian eyes and the Achura did not, go figure).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 23, 2011, 03:32:56 AM

No. They have a decent sized team (when a dev gave team numbers) working on trying to hammer the spagetti into a shape where it wasn't laggy compared to what they used to be capable of, one team (eg 4-5 people) working on eve-gate and one team on PvE content (ie. incursions). That puts Eve, the spaceships game, having about the same developer momentum as a near dead game like vanguard or fallen earth.
Better a clean up and no features now than everything becoming unpredictable and exploitable like crap, requiring you to tiptoe around issues to avoid GM wrath, because no one knows what the code does anymore.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #63 on: January 23, 2011, 03:38:28 AM

They have a large teamworking on a project called Carbon which is kind of their new MMO production and pipeline middleware which will be used for all of their current and future products. It's considered a separate project within CCP along with DUST514, Eve and WoD. There's a dev blog about it here.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 23, 2011, 06:41:12 AM

I like the character creator, and everywhere from Kugu to illum the reaction is pretty good.

How could it not be?  I mean:

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:18 PM

Who wants a Mustache Ride!     ACK!swamp poop ACK!

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #66 on: January 23, 2011, 01:35:37 PM

Apparently the guy on the left just got one.  ACK!

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 23, 2011, 02:20:27 PM

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:22:38 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 26, 2011, 01:11:00 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 07:32:24 AM

"If Butch goes to Scalding Pass, I want a thukker waiting in a can of trit ready to pop a cap in his ass."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new character editor  
Jump to: